What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***NFC Championship - Detroit Lions 14-5 at San Francisco 49'ers 13-5*** (-7.5, 52) 6:30 (1 Viewer)

Even I think they should kick this

Why? If it was the right call before I don’t get why it’s not the right call this time.
down by 3 with 7 minutes left

So? And I’m only partially being a smartass. I really don’t get why you wouldn’t go for it unless it was end of game situation.
Once you get to that point in the game (7 mins left) and you are down, I think you need to change your strategy. You have a much more narrow universe of potential outcomes and there are probably more that are bad than good if you don’t convert the 4th down. In the prior situation, your win probability was fairly high and scoring a TD would increase it by a fair amount, while failing to convert would still leave you with plenty of opportunities to win the game. Unfortunately, the lions squandered basically every subsequent situation.

Just felt like the Niners offense never swayed. Kept to what they do. Had a plan. Kept grinding. Eventually the superior talent took over.

Why? If it was the right call before I don’t get why it’s not the right call this time.
Yeah I think that in that situation, you have way fewer outs to win the game. In the earlier situation, there were plenty of paths that could happen and you still had the lead and could make the niners have to really execute to win. Giving them the ball back in this situation lets them dictate a lot of the remaining game.

Really easy for those of us who thought he should kick to say we are right but hell if I know - all I know is what I said before. They had a great chance to go back up 17 midway through the 3rd and put some more doubt in the Niners and give themselves confidence. Since that decision they have totally **** the bed.
Right, and that’s the problem, not so much the decision to go for it.

Yeah I think that in that situation, you have way fewer outs to win the game. In the earlier situation, there were plenty of paths that could happen and you still had the lead and could make the niners have to really execute to win. Giving them the ball back in this situation lets them dictate a lot of the remaining game.

Really easy for those of us who thought he should kick to say we are right but hell if I know - all I know is what I said before. They had a great chance to go back up 17 midway through the 3rd and put some more doubt in the Niners and give themselves confidence. Since that decision they have totally **** the bed.
Right, and that’s the problem, not so much the decision to go for it.

Nobody will ever be proven right but what I feared would happen to Detroit did.

Now to be fair, I still have PTSD from the Falcons blowing the SB so maybe I’m too cautious.

Users who are viewing this thread