What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Concerts thread - FBG's lovin' live music, we're back in action! (5 Viewers)

Went and saw Eagles last night in LA. Excellent show. Deacon Frey and Vince Gill both on stage. Sounded great. One of those “final” Farewell tours but Don Henley is 76 so maybe this is it.

Steely Dan opened. First thing I noticed was every seat was filled when they came on. Could have been the headliner - that’s how much the crowd was into them. 14 musicians on stage. Incredibly tight as you would expect from the world’s best studio musicians. Reminded me of a Tedeschi Trucks show. A revival. First time seeing them and glad I did.

Went and saw Eagles last night in LA. Excellent show. Deacon Frey and Vince Gill both on stage. Sounded great. One of those “final” Farewell tours but Don Henley is 76 so maybe this is it.

Steely Dan opened. First thing I noticed was every seat was filled when they came on. Could have been the headliner - that’s how much the crowd was into them. 14 musicians on stage. Incredibly tight as you would expect from the world’s best studio musicians. Reminded me of a Tedeschi Trucks show. A revival. First time seeing them and glad I did.
Donald Fagen is 75 and hasn’t missed a beat. Another one of those few from a bygone era that are still left with us that were just born to be top shelf musicians for life. Same with Henley and Walsh , also 76.

Ocean Blue is doing their first two albums over 2 nights in various cities including here in Tampa next November.

Donald Fagen is 75 and hasn’t missed a beat. Another one of those few from a bygone era that are still left with us that were just born to be top shelf musicians for life. Same with Henley and Walsh , also 76.
Fagen was terrific last night

If anyone else is seeing A Flock of Seagulls, the opening band, Strangelove, is an awesome Depeche Mode cover band.

If anyone else is seeing A Flock of Seagulls, the opening band, Strangelove, is an awesome Depeche Mode cover band.

I second the recommendation of Strangelove. Absolutely one of the best cover/tribute bands I have ever seen. Musically they are spot on note for note, and visually a lot of fun. The lead singer could be a stunt double for early 90s Dave Gahan, right down to his tattoos.

I second the recommendation of Strangelove. Absolutely one of the best cover/tribute bands I have ever seen. Musically they are spot on note for note, and visually a lot of fun. The lead singer could be a stunt double for early 90s Dave Gahan, right down to his tattoos.
His presence on stage was so spot on down to the mic stand pinwheels

Last edited:
I know these are not the genre most typical for this thread, but sharing a pre-sale code for anyone interested. Bush/Jerry Canrtrell & Candlebox are touring in the late summer. The pre-sale code is LOADED. I saw Bush twice in 2022, on a bill with AIC & Breaking Benjamin. I was shocked at what a performer Gavin of Bush still is. We also flew out to Boise last March to see Jerry Cantrell, and surprised my wife with the meet and greet with Jerry (where she turned into a speechless teenager in his presence). We have seen AIC three times in the last 17 months, and while the have been fantastic each time, Jerry solo was mind blowing good on a whole different level. Add that the Michigan venue for this year's tour is 15-minutes from home makes this so exciting. As an aside, the family has tickets to Hangout Fest in AL in May. There is room for a few more acts to be added and we are SO hoping AIC is an added as they already have Sick New World in Vegas on the early 2024 calendar.

I have to admit there's something a bit "odd" to me with these tribute bands that also try to look and act like the real thing.

I saw Almost Queen last summer, and while they were excellent performers, I found myself chuckling a few times at "Freddy Mercury". Part of it seemed a little pathetic that a grown man is pretending to be another grown man.

I know these are not the genre most typical for this thread, but sharing a pre-sale code for anyone interested. Bush/Jerry Canrtrell & Candlebox are touring in the late summer. The pre-sale code is LOADED. I saw Bush twice in 2022, on a bill with AIC & Breaking Benjamin. I was shocked at what a performer Gavin of Bush still is. We also flew out to Boise last March to see Jerry Cantrell, and surprised my wife with the meet and greet with Jerry (where she turned into a speechless teenager in his presence). We have seen AIC three times in the last 17 months, and while the have been fantastic each time, Jerry solo was mind blowing good on a whole different level. Add that the Michigan venue for this year's tour is 15-minutes from home makes this so exciting. As an aside, the family has tickets to Hangout Fest in AL in May. There is room for a few more acts to be added and we are SO hoping AIC is an added as they already have Sick New World in Vegas on the early 2024 calendar.

Not a huge fan of them, but I’d consider going. Would probably be more of a last minute thing for me though

I like Candlebox too, I saw them at Arts Beats and Eats a few years ago (probably more than a few at this point)

I have to admit there's something a bit "odd" to me with these tribute bands that also try to look and act like the real thing.

I saw Almost Queen last summer, and while they were excellent performers, I found myself chuckling a few times at "Freddy Mercury". Part of it seemed a little pathetic that a grown man is pretending to be another grown man.

I agree. But there is something about the experience is just fun. They honestly sounded better than current DM on most of the songs, and when I saw them, there were about 200 people there in a small club, and you could get as close to the stage as you wanted.

Same thing on the last cruise I went on, was just after COVID, so the only main entertainment was a Beatles tribute band. They played each night at a venue that they made look like the old Cavern Club, and the group did a different "era" of the Beatles, complete with outfits, going from the suits and mop tops all the way through the years to Abby Road outfits. They finished with a huge concert in the main arena of the ship, and it was pretty good.

Just a suspension of belief, and enjoying music in a way that you can't get from the originals anymore. Then again, take my opinion with a grain of salt, of all the bands I have seen, the one I have seen the most is a 90s alternative cover band named The **** Beldings.

Tortelvis does a good job selling himself as a 300 pound Elvis for Dread Zeppelin. The towel boy helps.

I agree. But there is something about the experience is just fun. They honestly sounded better than current DM on most of the songs, and when I saw them, there were about 200 people there in a small club, and you could get as close to the stage as you wanted.

Same thing on the last cruise I went on, was just after COVID, so the only main entertainment was a Beatles tribute band. They played each night at a venue that they made look like the old Cavern Club, and the group did a different "era" of the Beatles, complete with outfits, going from the suits and mop tops all the way through the years to Abby Road outfits. They finished with a huge concert in the main arena of the ship, and it was pretty good.

Just a suspension of belief, and enjoying music in a way that you can't get from the originals anymore. Then again, take my opinion with a grain of salt, of all the bands I have seen, the one I have seen the most is a 90s alternative cover band named The **** Beldings.
I like the fact that they played DM songs that DM NEVER plays. Get the Balance Right was their 3rd song iirc. I saw DM in Vegas last April and in a lot of ways, the cover band I saw opening the other night was better.

Not a huge fan of them, but I’d consider going. Would probably be more of a last minute thing for me though

I like Candlebox too, I saw them at Arts Beats and Eats a few years ago (probably more than a few at this point)
Have you been to Freedom Hill in the last few years? I hadn't until last fall seeing Chevelle & Three Days Grace in September. They have done a really nice job with the place. FREE parking, well designed facility (including plenty of bathrooms) and the nicest and most professional staff of any venue I think I have even be to. Literally went from my seat in the amphitheater to my driveway in 15-minutes too. I travel full time for work and typically travel more over the Summer, but hope to find myself there lots this Summer when home.

Have you been to Freedom Hill in the last few years? I hadn't until last fall seeing Chevelle & Three Days Grace in September. They have done a really nice job with the place. FREE parking, well designed facility (including plenty of bathrooms) and the nicest and most professional staff of any venue I think I have even be to. Literally went from my seat in the amphitheater to my driveway in 15-minutes too. I travel full time for work and typically travel more over the Summer, but hope to find myself there lots this Summer when home.

Saw Jamey Johnson and BlackBerry Smoke there I think that may have been 2022. Definitely a nice small venue

I saw Nation of Language in December and it was one of my favourite shows of the past few years. Mid sized club in Toronto (looks like it's 1350 capacity), it was jam packed and they put on a great show. Front man has huge rock star energy.

I'm getting a fairly full lineup for the coming year as well, a couple legendary Canadian bands have announced they are breaking up and I have tickets to both of their last shows ever. One in particular - Tokyo Police Club - is going to be tough, I've seen them so many times over the years and Champ is still in my top 5 albums ever. Hoping they pull out all the stops/special friends for these last shows.

So far in the hopper:

April 14 - Noah Kahan
April 23 - Matthew Good
May 4 - The Postal Service/Death Cab for Cutie
June 13-16 - Bonnaroo, probably
Nov 29 - Tokyo Police Club - final show
Jan 30, 2025 - Sum 41 - final show

Side note, I hate how far in advance a lot of the "major" shows get announced these days. Does Ticketmaster really need my money over a year in advance of a Sum 41 show?

What I have “left” this year:

3/15 - Colin Hay (Tampa)

3/21 - My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult (Tampa)

3/24 - Ministry with Gary Numan and FLA (Tampa)

4/4 - Ministry with Gary Numan and FLA (Las Vegas)

4/28 - Bad Religion with Social Distortion (Tampa)

5/10 - Lords of Acid (Tampa)

5/16 - Slowdive (Birmingham)

9/1 - Peter Hook and the Light (DC)?

9/7 - Peter Hook and the Light (Chicago)?

11/15 - Ocean Blue (Self-Titled) (Tampa)

11/16 - Ocean Blue (Cerulean) (Tampa)

DJ Shadow
Regency Ballroom, San Francisco

Anyone that loved Shadow's essential album Endtroducing and was expecting that kind of sound would have been in for a shock for this show. Shadow has continued to grow as an artist, and I appreciate that he isn't just reproducing that sound over and over again. A master at his craft, this show was incredible. One funny note: there was a drunken 49ers fan in the building pre-show, and as the 49ers pulled off a comeback vs. the Packers, he wailed, "Woooooooooo!!!! Go Niners!" My buddy and I agreed that this particular individual probably did not buy a ticket for this show and probably was given a free ticket by a firend.

Any SF Bay Area music fans should check out Sleepytime Gorilla Museum in Berkeley on April 6th. Many of you haven't heard of them, but they're a weird, experimental group that is lauded by such big time bands as Gojira. Gonna be a trippy evening.

DJ Shadow

Anyone that loved Shadow's essential album Endtroducing and was expecting that kind of sound would have been in for a shock for this show. Shadow has continued to grow as an artist, and I appreciate that he isn't just reproducing that sound over and over again. A master at his craft, this show was incredible. One funny note: there was a drunken 49ers fan in the building pre-show, and as the 49ers pulled off a comeback vs. the Packers, he wailed, "Woooooooooo!!!! Go Niners!" My buddy and I agreed that this particular individual probably did not buy a ticket for this show and probably was given a free ticket by a firend.

Did he play Organ Donor?

DJ Shadow

Did he play Organ Donor?

Pretty sure he did. He played all or parts of most of his well known jams.

Any FBGs in the Tampa area? I'm getting a little cabin fever and need a warm weekend away from the wife and kids. Tampa has a somewhat appealing music festival in two weeks, to go with very cheap plane tickets and warm February weather. Only issue is I don't think I know anyone who lives within a hundred miles of Tampa. I'm cool entertaining myself most of the time, but it would be good to maybe meet up at this festival if anyone's going.

Any FBGs in the Tampa area? I'm getting a little cabin fever and need a warm weekend away from the wife and kids. Tampa has a somewhat appealing music festival in two weeks, to go with very cheap plane tickets and warm February weather. Only issue is I don't think I know anyone who lives within a hundred miles of Tampa. I'm cool entertaining myself most of the time, but it would be good to maybe meet up at this festival if anyone's going.

Tobias, man, welcome back. I know you were Boogalooing a bit with another name for a while, but it's good to see you around.

Tobias, man, welcome back. I know you were Boogalooing a bit with another name for a while, but it's good to see you around.
Thanks man. After the death of Twitter I found myself in a sports info wasteland. When I found out about both the new Commanders HC and Lewis Hamilton -> Ferrari via the espn sports ticker, I decided enough was enough,

Rest of year calendar for me

2/28 - Billy Idol (industry event)
4/7 - Bruce Springsteen
4/19 - Kenny Wayne Shepherd
6/26 - Chris Stapleton
6/28 - Foreigner/Styx
7/20 - Kenny Chesney/Zac Brown
8/11 - Foo Fighters
12/7 - George Strait/Chris Stapleton/Little Big Town
12/8 - Garth Brooks

Will add other smaller shows as they come up. Bonnie Raitt just went on sale down the street in my home town, but will be traveling that day. Can’t make em all

Caught The Eagles and Steely Dan Friday night. I’m not a Steely Dan guy, but man were they good. Musicianship was off the charts. The Eagles set was crafted to pack in all the hits for sure. They are down to three original members, with long-timer Stewart Smith replacing Felder and honestly doing about 80% of the solo work on The Eagles tunes. Deacon Frey fills his dad’s role and sounds just like him. And Vince Gill is super-talented and a great addition. Only disappointment is that I’m about 95% sure that Don Henley was lip syncing some or all of his vocal tracks.

Caught The Eagles and Steely Dan Friday night. I’m not a Steely Dan guy, but man were they good. Musicianship was off the charts. The Eagles set was crafted to pack in all the hits for sure. They are down to three original members, with long-timer Stewart Smith replacing Felder and honestly doing about 80% of the solo work on The Eagles tunes. Deacon Frey fills his dad’s role and sounds just like him. And Vince Gill is super-talented and a great addition. Only disappointment is that I’m about 95% sure that Don Henley was lip syncing some or all of his vocal tracks.
Its a great tour.

Would love to travel to Vegas for a PJ show but budget requires pumping the brakes on spending for a bit. Instead I grabbed a ticket for Neil Young & Crazy Horse coming here to AZ in April. Never seen Neil before and I figured I better while I still can.

Reactions: jwb
Caught Umphrey's McGee last weekend. Solid as always.

Was planning to see Eggy tonight but plans fell through.

Caught Lettuce last week. Very talented musicians, and I really wanted to like them, but couldn't quite get there. I blame me, bad headspace, too sober. The rest of the crowd was rabid (not to mention very herbally medicated) for every moment. I did pick up a very cool concert shirt if I change my mind as I listen to them more.

Would love to travel to Vegas for a PJ show but budget requires pumping the brakes on spending for a bit. Instead I grabbed a ticket for Neil Young & Crazy Horse coming here to AZ in April. Never seen Neil before and I figured I better while I still can.
Got tix to NY&CH in San Diego in April. Should be a great show! Also seeing Billy Joel same month at Petco Park.

Users who are viewing this thread