What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Free Agency Discussion (2 Viewers)

All these kickers I dropped getting big contracts.

If I’d held them I coulda sold for draft picks. Stoopid roster size limits. 😡

The Philadelphia Eagles have denied impermissible contact between general manager Howie Roseman and running back Saquon Barkley during the negotiating window before the start of free agency.

Barkley, a Penn State alum and Pennsylvania native, agreed to terms with the Eagles on a three-year, $37.75 million contract that includes $26 million fully guaranteed at signing. His former coach at Penn State, James Franklin, suggested Roseman spoke to Barkley directly during the "legal tampering" period, which is not allowed.

Said Franklin: "For him now to come back and be able to play within the state, in Philadelphia, he said that was one of the first things that Howie said to him on the phone as part of his sales pitch to him was not only the Philadelphia Eagles and that but obviously the connection with Penn State and the fan base as well."

Teams are not allowed to talk directly to players during the negotiating window unless the player represents himself. An Eagles spokesperson said that all recruiting done by the team is facilitated through the agent.

So latest word is, the Texans and 49ers were near to trading Maliek Collins for DT Arik Armstead. But when Houston signed Danielle Hunter that changed things. Armstead would have still had a big salary for Houston (at least $17m, and possibly $23m or more, as OvertheCap and Spotrac have some different numbers so I can't tell for sure) if I'm reading right. So instead they traded the 7th round pick for Maliek.

There is word Houston is pursuing Armstead now he's been released and is a free agent. Other teams are pursuing him too. I see some media speculation that Houston might have done enough on the DL that there might not be enough need left for a signing of that size there, though.

As Mahomes shareholder, my wish-list signings for KC would be Mike Williams & Hunter Renfrow. They both stay in the AFC West, and give PM reliable receivers to go with Rice. All 3 with different skill sets, would compliment each other well. That would be a scary good offense for a couple years, or until Williams gets hurt trying to make a routine catch. lol

Likely wouldn't break the bank on either, too.
No way on Mike Williams. Cannot stay healthy. It would be pointless to bring him in there.
His healthy season was what, 1400 yards?

His career high was 76rec 1146yds.

As Mahomes shareholder, my wish-list signings for KC would be Mike Williams & Hunter Renfrow. They both stay in the AFC West, and give PM reliable receivers to go with Rice. All 3 with different skill sets, would compliment each other well. That would be a scary good offense for a couple years, or until Williams gets hurt trying to make a routine catch. lol

No way on Mike Williams. Cannot stay healthy. It would be pointless to bring him in there.

I stand corrected. I was sure I’d read 1400 somewhere. Maybe he was “on pace for” before injury.

I stand corrected. I was sure I’d read 1400 somewhere. Maybe he was “on pace for” before injury.

He played 16 games that year.

Only season I can find where he was on pace for 1400 was this year, but that was after 3 games so whomever extrapolated that after 3 games was doing some serious reaching as there were probably 50 players "on pace" for 1400 yards at that point.

He played 16 games that year.

Only season I can find where he was on pace for 1400 was this year, but that was after 3 games so whomever extrapolated that after 3 games was doing some serious reaching as there were probably 50 players "on pace" for 1400 yards at that point.
I still think he’s a very capable receiver when healthy. If a team can get him on a 1-year incentive-laden contract they’d potentially have a bargain if he stays healthy.

Big if, I realize. But he’s got the rare size & speed combo most teams are missing. Still think he’d be a great target for the chiefs.

The NFL is reviewing whether the Atlanta Falcons and Philadelphia Eagles violated tampering policies during the legal tampering window, a league spokesman said Thursday.

Teams are permitted to talk directly with agents during the 52-hour negotiating window, but can't speak to the player unless he has no agent and represents himself.

Penn State football coach James Franklin told a reporter that Eagles general manager Howie Roseman spoke to Barkley and pitched him on the connection between the Eagles and Nittany Lions fan bases.

In Atlanta's case, Cousins said Wednesday: "There's great people here. And it's not just the football team. I mean, I'm looking at the support staff. Meeting -- calling, yesterday, calling our head athletic trainer, talking to our head of PR I'm thinking, we got good people here. And that's exciting to be a part of."

Cousins wasn't permitted to speak to anyone before 4 p.m. EDT on Wednesday.

The NFL is reviewing whether the Atlanta Falcons and Philadelphia Eagles violated tampering policies during the legal tampering window, a league spokesman said Thursday.

Teams are permitted to talk directly with agents during the 52-hour negotiating window, but can't speak to the player unless he has no agent and represents himself.

Penn State football coach James Franklin told a reporter that Eagles general manager Howie Roseman spoke to Barkley and pitched him on the connection between the Eagles and Nittany Lions fan bases.

In Atlanta's case, Cousins said Wednesday: "There's great people here. And it's not just the football team. I mean, I'm looking at the support staff. Meeting -- calling, yesterday, calling our head athletic trainer, talking to our head of PR I'm thinking, we got good people here. And that's exciting to be a part of."

With friends like James Franklin and Kirk Cousins, who needs enemies?

They will investigate themselves and find no wrongdoing.

This happens seemingly every year. Accusations are levied, NFL is required to investigate, poof, nothing will happen.

The only time I remember something happening was when Miami lost their 1st round pick for tampering with Brady.

I can't find a definitive list. But looks like the Cardinals got hit with it last year though it was over hiring coach Jonathan Gannon who was the Eagles DC. The two sides eventually agreed to a settlement in which the Eagles traded the No. 94 pick in the 2023 draft and a 2024 fifth-round selection for the No. 66 pick in 2023.

Chiefs in 2016 were docked 2 picks and Reid and the GM fined for tampering with Jerry Maclin.

Both of those only got mentioned because they were both situations the Eagles were involved in, mentioned in article about this year's situation.

The only time I remember something happening was when Miami lost their 1st round pick for tampering with Brady.

I can't find a definitive list. But looks like the Cardinals got hit with it last year though it was over hiring coach Jonathan Gannon who was the Eagles DC. The two sides eventually agreed to a settlement in which the Eagles traded the No. 94 pick in the 2023 draft and a 2024 fifth-round selection for the No. 66 pick in 2023.

Chiefs in 2016 were docked 2 picks and Reid and the GM fined for tampering with Jerry Maclin.

Both of those only got mentioned because they were both situations the Eagles were involved in, mentioned in article about this year's situation.
Patriots went after the Texans and BOB & Easterby for trying to pry Caserio away in 2019 prior to asking permission. Patriots dropped the charges after the Texans stopped the pursuit of Caserio as GM that year. They then went without a GM for a year (what a great idea!) and hired Caserio anyway the following year.

I think the Patriots also went after the Jets for Darrelle Revis a few years prior to that but it was more innocuous where one of the Jets brass said something like "we would love to have him!" when asked by a reporter. He got fined 100K and now like every coach and exec just says "I can't comment on another teams players" or whatever when asked by reporters now.

Per Rapsheet:

The #Jaguars are closing in on a deal to add a huge presence to their defense, as they are set to sign former #49ers DT Arik Armstead, sources say.

Irv Smith to the motherforking Chiefs!
Pfft

Think it was a one year deal? However, I am in a dynasty league that allows offseason pickups, so I just grabbed him.
Irv had a pretty bad ankle injury last year.

Dude is a skilled receiver. Chiefs do use their 2nd TE, and Kelce isn’t a young man.

There’s value there. Good pickup.

I have him in a TE-P league - best possible landing spot. Kelce goes down, Irv is a star.
I don't think Irv will be the #2TE. He's terrible and was a healthy scratch last year to end the season. Save yourself a roster spot.
I'd be willing to bet he's their TE2

He had a bad ankle injury last year & the Bengals were without Burrow. I'm pretty sure he was a healthy scratch to avoid paying incentives.

Dude is a talented receiver - they didn't sign him to block.
Chiefs started running a lot of 3 TE sets toward the back half of the year. So you will see a lot of Kelce, Smith, and Noah Gray on the field at the same time.
Irv got league minimum type dough.

$1.125M salary, $384k guaranteed, will earn another $167.5k first game he's active for max earnings of $1.29m.
All he needs is some opportunity.

Kelce goes down and 🚀

(And yes I’m being hyperbolic I know it’s a longshot don’t take me too seriously here)
Noah Gray is still the TE to own if something happens to Kelce.
Didn’t they have another dude who’s coming back off of injury? My brain wants to say “Fortson”

ETA Jody Fortson. I was not in a fever dream.
Irv Smith is the new Fortson.
But Fortson is the new Fortson. 🤔

This could get confusing.
Forston is now a Dolphin, hopefully lessening the confusion.

Tyreek seemed happy about it.

Only thing that surprises me on Seattle doing that move is I had thought they might want to try and get Penix, just so much obvious sense. But it was an issue that he's probably not worth a first, and they don't have a second but this would seem to totally take him out on him.

Corey Davis has applied for re-instatement to the NFL. If the Jets still want him, he's probably a starter for them, otherwise he's at least a solid WR3 for someone.

Corey Davis has applied for re-instatement to the NFL. If the Jets still want him, he's probably a starter for them, otherwise he's at least a solid WR3 for someone.
They will be granting him his release. They still might want to resign him but I just mentioned him in the Steelers thread as someone who makes all kinds of sense for them.

With friends like James Franklin and Kirk Cousins, who needs enemies?
In case any of you ever wanted to know what it feels like to have a client testify and/or speak to law enforcement this is a wonderful non-legal example of what it's like... :lmao:

Curtis Samuel to the Bills.

Great spot for him on many levels. Allen, re-uniting with Brady, he and Shakir probably only WR’s currently on the roster who will be on the team in 2025.

Great spot for him on many levels. Allen, re-uniting with Brady, he and Shakir probably only WR’s currently on the roster who will be on the team in 2025.
2nd best spot behind the Chiefs (where I was hoping he would go) but I think he will do very well there.

Wow, not sure on the price, but I think this is a great add by the Bills.

The Lions have agreed to sign defensive tackle D.J. Reader to a two-year deal worth up to $27.25 million.

Pretty stoked about this one.
You should be. I'm not.

/Vikesfan

Y'all are having a good week (besides losing Cap'n Kirk)

Seeing a lot of mocks have the Vikings moving up to take a QB

Challenging year for Kwesi but you guys have good leadership in the front office + KOC is a good one

The Lions have agreed to sign defensive tackle D.J. Reader to a two-year deal worth up to $27.25 million.

Pretty stoked about this one.
You should be. I'm not.

/Vikesfan

Y'all are having a good week (besides losing Cap'n Kirk)

Seeing a lot of mocks have the Vikings moving up to take a QB

Challenging year for Kwesi but you guys have good leadership in the front office + KOC is a good one
Yep, not upset so far. Just tough watching Green Bay and Detroit, and to a lesser extent Chicago, appear to get better.

ETA: I'm also opposed to massively overpaying for a high first. So, we'll see what happens. I'd prefer to sit on 1.11 and grab McCarthy if he's there and, if not, shore up D-line then maybe take a run at Fields.

Dionte Johnson to the Panthers. RIP his value.
I am probably just wearing purple glasses here but:

Diontae Johnson combine

KJ Osborn combine

Maybe it the hit piece of Dionte Johnson drop highlights have influenced my thoughts
He could be a target monster in CAR. :shrug:
I just wondering why Diontae Johnson is worth trading for when KJ Osborn is a free agent. Johnson is rumoured to be a diva and KJ Osborn has absolutely no locker room concerns.

Pick trade...
Minnesota gets No. 23 and No. 232.
Houston gets No. 42, 188 and a 2025 2nd rounder.

Dropping from 23 to the 10th pick in the 2nd for a future 2nd plus a bump from 7th round to 6th is pretty nice. Not sure what a trade value chart would say though those are very subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread