What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What About Pop Culture Have You Just Stopped Paying Attention To? Or If Not Pop Culture, What Have You Ditched? (1 Viewer)

Music. Like most I’m stuck in my youth. Haven’t picked up a new artist into my likes for probably 10+ years. Couldn’t name who’s “in” or “cool” right now to save my life (other than Taylor Swift).
Thats probably part of the problem, you're searching amongst who's cool or in right now, which is driven by the least common denominator of the masses. Unless you're stuck on needing a White Snake or Def Leppard vibe there is a crapton of great music that's been made over the last 10-20 years.

I listen to a lot less new music...used to listen to everything, now I pick and choose a bit more. Rock is my probably my preferred genre and I just don't like the new rock as much as the old stuff. :shrug:

I don't watch as much television outside of sports programming. Mostly stream movies and shows that interest me. I've almost completely cut out reality television.

I go to the theatre less, but am excited when I do because it's usually for a great movie.

Marvel movies (and really most super hero movies other than Batman) have never done it for me and I love movies. I just don't get the appeal at all.
Never been interested in the vast majority of these.

While I actually liked the Mandalorian, I have not been interested in all of these Star Wars series.
When Lucas started tinkering with the old SW movies and then released Phantom Menace, that’s when I checked out on that.
I was roughly in middle school when the prequel series came out. Maybe it would be different if I was around for the regular trilogy when it came out.

My favorite things from Star Wars (Mandalorian or Rogue One) are a bit different in style from the rest of it. I've heard I will like Andor too. However, they seem to be doing the same Marvel crap where there are so many easter eggs and references you feel a bit lost for not watching it all. Just turns me off.

I quit watching news shows on TV years ago. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

Stopped following and wagering on horse racing too after decades of being an enthusiast. Too many dead animals, drugging the animals, scandal and a blind eye to it all.

I'll watch 3-4 movies a year. I watched Womder Woman with my daughter few years back on the advice of several who said that was a Can't Miss movie. It was awful. One of the dumbest things I've ever seen. That represents the first, last and only super hero movie I will ever watch.

I listen to a lot less new music...used to listen to everything, now I pick and choose a bit more. Rock is my probably my preferred genre and I just don't like the new rock as much as the old stuff. :shrug:
I went through a bit of a stretch without new music, but I found that Sirius XM is a great way to get curated stuff for whatever sub-genre you're into. I have had similar success with the Apple Music algorithm.

Thats probably part of the problem, you're searching amongst who's cool or in right now, which is driven by the least common denominator of the masses. Unless you're stuck on needing a White Snake or Def Leppard vibe there is a crapton of great music that's been made over the last 10-20 years.
This. It's incredibly easy to find music. They have entire algorithms devoted to helping people find new music.

But at some age people don't enjoy seeking out different/new music.

What they really enjoy is saying how all music now sucks. This is their hobby, instead of listening to music. Hey, it seems to bring them joy, so that's cool.

New music. Can't name a song made this decade.
I'm trying to get into my 18/yr old daughters fav band "the wallows" b/c I got us tickets to their show this summer. I want her to have a good time (not that she wouldn't), so I'm trying to "get" their music. It's not bad, I def can enjoy it for the night being with her, but I love being the "Cool dad" and genuinely enjoy the show.

Side note: I have a good friend, older then me (late 50's) who is always going to those big music festivals with his daughters. I look at those lineups and can barely make out 2-3 artists I would consider listing to, let alone a full weekend of it. That said, i'm a bit envious that he get into new music that much and make great cool dad/daughter memories like that.

I have a major problem with social media influencers. The overwhelming majority are full of BS, and you really have to follow the money on them. I don’t do Tik Tok or IG, but they are really bad on X. Question their info and motives, and you get the TO, and not them.
This. It’s IMO the dumbest trend imaginable. Can’t believe that folks get paid and can survive for example as morons living in a van pretending to be one with the earth while surfing all day and hocking various lifestyle products, often propped up by a trust fund.

Flip side, I just don’t spend money buying much of anything. So maybe I’m just not consumerist enough to partake.

Agree with a lot that's already been mentioned. I'll add award shows, used to watch to discover new things but don't bother anymore. Grammys was much watch but it seems anything interesting would never be on it.
:yes:
The very few moments worth watching can be found later. Tracy Chapman was probably the only part of a show worthwhile this year.

I ditched award shows 20 years ago.

Pompous BS

Love my music and movies.....I don't need to see the dog and pony show these award shows became and hear all their political views.

**** off

Ditched the NBA.....literally done with that league.

SNL is pushing 50, and lame.

Ignoring SNL is not a sign you aren't hip. The college kids aren't talking about SNL, fellas

Is this really a take? SNL hasn't been relevant in 25+ years. It's only on because of legacy and it costs nothing to make. You get 1-2 funny moments in 90 minutes of "live" TV. College kids don't talk about it because their parents quit watching before they had them.

Source: 2 kids in college.

I'm still loving my music and movies.

TV is purely non-network, so that's been a definite shift for me.

Food? I've always felt like at the hoity toity spots for big bucks the appetizers were always breathtaking and the mains usually... Sure, good, but nothing screaming their dollar value.

Social media, like K4- I was on FB long enough to reuinite with a lot of folk I wanted to to reuinite with. After that- don't care what they ate or where they went on spring break. I really should be using IG more for work.

Pompous BS

Love my music and movies.....I don't need to see the dog and pony show these award shows became and hear all their political views.

**** off

Why the NBA?

Pompous BS

**** off

Why the NBA?
The style of play today for me is unwatchable.

Launching threes, piss poor defense, the demise of the post game and the sheer amount of players who cry, flop and whine is out of control.

Game sucks balls now.

Nothing will ever come close to the 80's and 90's

Even the 00's were far better than this **** we have now.

Done with it.

Pompous BS

**** off

Why the NBA?
The style of play today for me is unwatchable.

Launching threes, piss poor defense, the demise of the post game and the sheer amount of players who cry, flop and whine is out of control.

Game sucks balls now.

Nothing will ever come close to the 80's and 90's

Even the 00's were far better than this **** we have now.

Done with it.
Thx for the reply. Yeah, I also miss Kelly Tripucka’s defensive prowess. ;)

NFL. I used to watch most of the games, watch the draft, was in 10+ leagues, etc. Haven't watched a full game in probably 6-7 years.

I am such a social media hermit that I am basically clueless to most of what I would call pop culture since so much revolves around youtubers and online celebrities. If it doesn't have to do with movies or MLB dfs, I probably won't have a clue WTF you are talking about.

Good topic, Rock. I’ve been making a good-faith effort to tune into pop culture again. Watched the Grammy’s this year and really enjoyed it. Then I made the mistake of trying to talk about it with my son and his college buddies. Should’ve seen the looks on their faces when I said “Olivia Rodriguez”.

Good topic, Rock. I’ve been making a good-faith effort to tune into pop culture again. Watched the Grammy’s this year and really enjoyed it. Then I made the mistake of trying to talk about it with my son and his college buddies. Should’ve seen the looks on their faces when I said “Olivia Rodriguez”.

Rodrigo and you tried way too hard on that one. They saw through it.

I’ll start. Movies.
I would probably agree with this for the most part. There are certainly some good ones that come out, but they get dwarfed by all the reboots and Marvel stuff that the studios crank out left and right. Just seems to be a decline of creativity in Hollywood, but can't blame the studios for going where the masses are going to spend their money. And a lot of money it is, which is also a turn off.

I disagree. I think there is a ton of creative filmmaking going on. It may not be at your local theater where blockbusters and kids movies take up most of the screens, but with all the streaming platforms today there are a lot of options. Just look at the films nominated for Best Picture this year. Still lots of quality filmmaking being done.

Since my son was born in 2011, I have seen very few movies that aren’t Disney.

I have not been to a concert since the pandemic.

Most of my music listening is whatever’s going on in the MAD threads or letting the YouTube and Spotify algorithms run wild.

Thanks, bud! Good to see you around. How’s things?

Thanks, bud! Good to see you around. How’s things?
Doing alright my man. Was thinking of you the other day - was running at the Wesleyan track. Sucking wind as usual. 😆

Go Huskies!

Last edited:
NFL. I used to watch most of the games, watch the draft, was in 10+ leagues, etc. Haven't watched a full game in probably 6-7 years.

I am such a social media hermit that I am basically clueless to most of what I would call pop culture since so much revolves around youtubers and online celebrities. If it doesn't have to do with movies or MLB dfs, I probably won't have a clue WTF you are talking about.
Don’t sell yourself short. You also know a lot about weed.

Fantasy sports replaced texas hold'em and now sports gambling is replacing fantasy sports. I'm curious what will eventually replace sports gambling.

To my surprise, black jack has stood the test of time over everything. A staple as a kid, legal betting adult, and now middle aged man. Whoda thunk it

This. It's incredibly easy to find music. They have entire algorithms devoted to helping people find new music.

But at some age people don't enjoy seeking out different/new music.

What they really enjoy is saying how all music now sucks. This is their hobby, instead of listening to music. Hey, it seems to bring them joy, so that's cool.
dj- I never said there was a problem and I’m not searching. I’ve lost my desire to, as massraider mentioned. The difference is I’m not crapping on new music and it’s certainly not my hobby to so. I’m sure there’s plenty of good music being made, I’m just stuck in the genre I’m happy with. Now get off my lawn and turn down that infernal racket.

I have a major problem with social media influencers. The overwhelming majority are full of BS, and you really have to follow the money on them. I don’t do Tik Tok or IG, but they are really bad on X. Question their info and motives, and you get the TO, and not them.
This. It’s IMO the dumbest trend imaginable. Can’t believe that folks get paid and can survive for example as morons living in a van pretending to be one with the earth while surfing all day and hocking various lifestyle products, often propped up by a trust fund.

Flip side, I just don’t spend money buying much of anything. So maybe I’m just not consumerist enough to partake.
You should try living in a van.

Being a HS teacher, it has always been hard to completely remove myself from the pop-culture stuff. I will say that over maybe the past 5-6 years, I have stopped caring about whether I'm up to date on any of it, and it has been a weirdly "freeing" thing.

I don't know, and I don't care who that person is in the Doritos commercial, or what rapper is hot at the moment. It is weird to say, but keeping up with the latest and greatest whatever, had become a task, and in today's world, anything that is taking up any mental space at all, needs to be re-evaluated for it's usefulness. Being able to get rid of anything that takes up time & energy is great.

If it is meant for me, it'll somehow find its way to me. I'm done with seeking stuff out, just to keep up appearances that I'm cool.

In the past it was easier to stay more up to date. There were basically only three TV stations. Top 40 radio would give you a mix of multiple genres of the times. Later, you could just watch a little MTV. If you missed movies at the theater, you could check out whatever had a bunch of boxes at Blockbuster.

I’ll start. Movies.
I would probably agree with this for the most part. There are certainly some good ones that come out, but they get dwarfed by all the reboots and Marvel stuff that the studios crank out left and right. Just seems to be a decline of creativity in Hollywood, but can't blame the studios for going where the masses are going to spend their money. And a lot of money it is, which is also a turn off.

I disagree. I think there is a ton of creative filmmaking going on. It may not be at your local theater where blockbusters and kids movies take up most of the screens, but with all the streaming platforms today there are a lot of options. Just look at the films nominated for Best Picture this year. Still lots of quality filmmaking being done.
Agreed. Sure, superhero movies are played out and Disney products are terrible. There are still lots of good movies and especially television shows being produced today. With television, the biggest problem is choosing what to watch because there's so much out there.

Agreed. Sure, superhero movies are played out and Disney products are terrible. There are still lots of good movies and especially television shows being produced today. With television, the biggest problem is choosing what to watch because there's so much out there.
One can also spend a long time watching movies they were recommended, and never got around to. I can, anyway. And they are all available, for the most part.

It occurs to me that pop culture isn't so much what media is available to us, but the stuff people talk about. For a lot of people the enjoyment is talking about it with others, as opposed to someone finally watching Veep or something. Looking at it though that lens, I am pretty much out on pop culture, I guess.

I'm almost 60, don't think I've been qualified to answer this in about 2 decades.

My daughters (22 & 27) keeps me semi relevant to trends but for the most part I'm an old curmudgeon now and ignore pop culture in total.

Movies for sure. I think unless you like Marvel there isn't really anything compelling coming in a 2-3hr format in ages now.

Does network TV count? Haven't watched a network TV show since The Office.

I have let podcasts take over what music I used to listen to as well.

Users who are viewing this thread