What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread (2 Viewers)

My only concern is if it's only 3-4 people there will be a heavy skew from one person. I'm probably overthinking this.

I'm thinking of doing a top 100 horror movie countdown thread. I'm fine doing it myself, but if anyone wants to join in and do something like a consensus FFA top 100, I'd be down too. It would involve submitting anywhere from 60-100 horror movies to me ranked. I'd come up with our consensus top 100 from that, kind of like how the 80s and 90s movie countdowns went. Post interest here. I imagine getting 2-4 of us would be ideal.

Posting this now because I want the list done with plenty of time before Halloween. Might make a good watch list for folks.
I'm in. I think I've earned a positive reputation here for film tastes in general and horror in particular.

Of course that could be hubris on my part

My only concern is if it's only 3-4 people there will be a heavy skew from one person. I'm probably overthinking this.

This only matters if someone takes a movie on the caliber of A Very Brady Christmas or something like that...

But yeah, I'll take whoever wants to be in. I've got time and I'm good at spreadsheets.

I'm thinking of doing a top 100 horror movie countdown thread. I'm fine doing it myself, but if anyone wants to join in and do something like a consensus FFA top 100, I'd be down too. It would involve submitting anywhere from 60-100 horror movies to me ranked. I'd come up with our consensus top 100 from that, kind of like how the 80s and 90s movie countdowns went. Post interest here. I imagine getting 2-4 of us would be ideal.

Posting this now because I want the list done with plenty of time before Halloween. Might make a good watch list for folks.
I don't normally participate in this sort of thread, but I'd enjoy this one. It would be fun if we could turn this into a curated joint watchlist for October.

Anyway, I just came in here to say that I got my wife to watch Cabin in the Woods last night, and she literally did the thing where she asked if I clicked on the right title about two minutes in.

She ended up not liking it. :(

I'd be open to participating.

Will there be any guidelines as to what constitutes "horror"? I guess I ask because I love Korean revenge movies and many consider that a form of horror genre...just curious.

Sounds fun. (y)

Will there be any guidelines as to what constitutes "horror"? I guess I ask because I love Korean revenge movies and many consider that a form of horror genre...just curious.

Sounds fun. (y)

Sort of. I know a few Korean revenge movies that definitely fit I think. Just use best judgement.

Something like Silence of the Lambs would be allowed because while a thriller, is also deeply scary and has horror elements. But other crime thrillers like Fargo or Taxi Driver are not.

There are also some horror comedies that might skirt the line.

A quick google search of "Is XX movie a horror movie" will probably produce enough results either way. If enough people say it is, then fine.

If you guys need more set guidelines we can discuss.

Sounds fun. (y)

Sort of. I know a few Korean revenge movies that definitely fit I think. Just use best judgement.

Something like Silence of the Lambs would be allowed because while a thriller, is also deeply scary and has horror elements. But other crime thrillers like Fargo or Taxi Driver are not.

There are also some horror comedies that might skirt the line.

A quick google search of "Is XX movie a horror movie" will probably produce enough results either way. If enough people say it is, then fine.

If you guys need more set guidelines we can discuss.
Good enough. can't wait. Thanks

There is one specific guideline though.

I want this to be "your" top horror list, so, the movies you enjoy watching the most, ranked. Dont rank a movie high just because IMDB or consensus ranks it high.

My top ten has a good mix of movies that are consensus and also great under the radar movies I keep coming back to.

One that's out now that I really enjoyed is Late Night with the Devil. It's in theaters but probably not for long, as it hits Shudder on April 19th. It's worth the theater experience though. Strong recommend.
I’m so optimistic for this one that it might change my top 100 list.

If the countdowns by 80s and I are any indication, even the outliers don't get too high in the rankings. I thought there were a couple each time that I had in the top 5 but he didn't have at all, and those types ended up in the 25-35 range. The more people who are in it, the harder it would be for one person's odd choices to dominate the list. Any movie that gets multiple votes really got a boost up the list.

I want this to be "your" top horror list, so, the movies you enjoy watching the most, ranked. Dont rank a movie high just because IMDB or consensus ranks it high.

My top ten has a good mix of movies that are consensus and also great under the radar movies I keep coming back to.
I know no other way. I will warn the crew that I seem to have soured a bit on many 80s staples and love me some foreign horror, horror comedies, and found footage movies.

I know no other way. I will warn the crew that I seem to have soured a bit on many 80s staples and love me some foreign horror, horror comedies, and found footage movies.
Same. Found footage and French Extreme are probably my favorite sub genres

@The Gator @KarmaPolice @Todem @shuke @Keith R @IvanKaramazov @BroncoFreak_2K3 @WVU Alum

This looks to be our pool of participants. Let me know if I skipped anyone. I'm thinking a list of your top 75 should give enough of a pool of movies to not have many one-offs dominate. Please PM me your list with the number one movie at the top, number 75 at the bottom.

Is 2 weeks enough time for everyone? So by Saturday, April 20? I'm ok going longer if needed.

I'll start a new thread for this soon.

@The Gator @KarmaPolice @Todem @shuke @Keith R @IvanKaramazov @BroncoFreak_2K3 @WVU Alum

This looks to be our pool of participants. Let me know if I skipped anyone. I'm thinking a list of your top 75 should give enough of a pool of movies to not have many one-offs dominate. Please PM me your list with the number one movie at the top, number 75 at the bottom.

Is 2 weeks enough time for everyone? So by Saturday, April 20? I'm ok going longer if needed.

That should work for me.

I can remember 4.20

Works for me.

I should be able to do that. I thought about firing up a few I haven't seen yet, but I'm guessing my top 75 is pretty solid anyway. Instead I will make myself rewatch a couple I am a bit scared to in order to make sure I can defend a ranking. There's one I'd say is the best in a decade or so that I haven't brought myself to watch again, for example. It's odd to rank something highly that I don't want to rewatch. :lol:

So horror movie updates.

We saw Night Swim on Peacock. My wife was soooo excited for this movie and wanted to see it in the theater, but the reviews were horrendous and so we waited for streaming. We are glad we did. This movie had a few scary moments, but then it would do something stupid and we would just look at each other and shake our heads. The only way I can see that this movie was made is that they sold it to the studio as a sandwich movie. We will make this one and then do a prequel and explain all about the origins of the water and the different families/people impacted by it throughout history. They alluded to it in one scene and that was probably the most interesting part. 1.5 out of 5.

We just got home from The First Omen. It is well worth the theater viewing, very slow and builds on the religious sets and atmosphere. It completely fills in the origin story of Damien just seamlessly. Not overtly scary, but has a ton of shocking scenes that kept things interesting. I felt it could have been about 10 minutes shorter and accomplished the same thing, but as a big fan of the original--this was very well done. 4 out of 5.

Next up in the theater is Abigail. The ballerina vampire movie looks like a fun time.

Today they showed previews for The Strangers Part one (basically an origin story for the trio). Not sure how I feel about this. The 2nd part was so bad and the preview for this one looks like a line by line remake of the the original movie. Probably going to be a streamer..

Cuckoo looks like a wild ride. There is a scene in the preview with the girl on the bike that actually made my hair stand up on end. It has a Cronenberg weird, freaky vibe to it. Check out the trailer if you can.

Tarot has a ton of promise. It does seem to fall along the Talk to Me type lines of a group of people playing around with something they shouldn't. However, what sets it apart is it goes into (one of my favorites) 13 Ghosts territory and the different images on the cards start to come alive as real monsters. It is either going to be fun or really cheesy, but I am sold.

Not horror, but Boy Kills World, might sneak its way into our theater viewing here as well.

Sounds good. I'll get on it.

We just got home from The First Omen. It is well worth the theater viewing, very slow and builds on the religious sets and atmosphere. It completely fills in the origin story of Damien just seamlessly. Not overtly scary, but has a ton of shocking scenes that kept things interesting. I felt it could have been about 10 minutes shorter and accomplished the same thing, but as a big fan of the original--this was very well done. 4 out of 5.
Thanks for this. I was a little interested but probably not going to see it in a theater. You may have changed my mind

I finally watched The Blair Witch Project (Plex free), only 25 years too late.

I know it was trailblazing, but there just wasn’t really anything there. Not that scary, all characters were irritating. I really like Cloverfield, so I’m glad this was made.

I know it was trailblazing, but there just wasn’t really anything there. Not that scary, all characters were irritating. I really like Cloverfield, so I’m glad this was made.
1999, you had to be there. The marketing around it was phenomenal. One of the best theater experiences in my life on opening night, just finished HS and went with a smoking hot blonde from my class, which might be contributing to my bias and I will not apologize for that.

1999, you had to be there. The marketing around it was phenomenal. One of the best theater experiences in my life on opening night, just finished HS and went with a smoking hot blonde from my class, which might be contributing to my bias and I will not apologize for that.
Saw it in the theater as well when it was released. Definitely a "you had to be there" experience. Loved it.

I think a huge part of this movie comes down to whether the last five minutes of the film click with you or not. It's basically 80 minutes of character-building and world-creation that builds toward a few minutes of payoff.

I think a huge part of this movie comes down to whether the last five minutes of the film click with you or not. It's basically 80 minutes of character-building and world-creation that builds toward a few minutes of payoff.
Yes and honestly that pissed me off. I felt like I was duped watching 80 minutes of sniveling and kvetching filmed with a vertigo inducing shaky cam and when we finally get the money shot the door closes and *poof* it's over. Credit for BW for injecting found footage into cinema in a big way but other than that it's reputation is greater than it's execution, imo.

For me, it was the marketing that got me. I saw this very early on when it hit the indie theaters for the first time. They marketed it as real footage. I wasn't naive enough to think the actual footage was in the movie, but myself and my friends did believe it was based on real footage. Because of that, it ended up being a very scary theater experience. If you look back at it, they did a good job of not relying on anything supernatural, making it more believable. All of what they went through could've been done by some psycho in the woods, not necessarily a ghost witch.

Looking back, there have been many found footage films that hold up better over time. If The Blair Witch Project were made to day, it would go on the shelf next to a dozen clones of itself, not standing out, but at the time it was really creepy and put found footage as a subgenre on the map.

I never got into Blair Witch. I grew up close to where the movie is supposed to have taken place and no one had heard of the witch, so the viral marketing never grabbed my attention or that of my friends. I saw it in theaters a few weeks after release and was impressed by the found footage angle and what they managed to do, but the movie lost a lot of its magic when you have no doubt that it is all faked. Which sounds weird when talking about a horror film, but suspension of disbelief for me was impossible when their entire marketing premise was that the entire film was a documentary. Oddly, I have never had this problem with found footage for any movie after Blair Witch.

Saw Abigail today. Just a really enjoyable movie that didn’t take itself too seriously. It was not scary, but wow, an absolute gorefest. The little girl who was the lead did an amazing job. I can see them trying to make a sequel to flush out her backstory. Great movie.

Absolutely this. There was an energy in that theater that night that I'm not sure I'd ever felt before or since.

Watched The Conference today. It’s a Swedish language horror/comedy. Definitely gory and a good watch if you don’t mind subtitles or speak Swedish. 4/5

Watched The Conference today. It’s a Swedish language horror/comedy. Definitely gory and a good watch if you don’t mind subtitles or speak Swedish. 4/5
Watched that…..the subtitles were way too fast….they gave you no time to read.

It was a decent enough flick but I got really annoyed with that aspect.

I think that if you like the Conference you would like the movies Severance and Office Uprising.

Night of the Creeps (Pluto free): 1986, IMDB 6.7. This was a combo slow zombie / college nerd/frat movie. Lots of nods to earlier horror movies, decent buddy banter, an intentionally over the top noir cop. The zombies were pretty boring - they just wanted to hug people to transmit zombie slugs, not kill people. There's a weird axe murderer thrown in for no reason. This was fine, which based on my recent experience with 80s horror is pretty high praise. I don't see a 6.7 rating in here anywhere, though.

Night of the Creeps (Pluto free): 1986, IMDB 6.7. This was a combo slow zombie / college nerd/frat movie. Lots of nods to earlier horror movies, decent buddy banter, an intentionally over the top noir cop. The zombies were pretty boring - they just wanted to hug people to transmit zombie slugs, not kill people. There's a weird axe murderer thrown in for no reason. This was fine, which based on my recent experience with 80s horror is pretty high praise. I don't see a 6.7 rating in here anywhere, though.
You’re just going to gloss over Tom Atkins like that? 80s heartthrob and leading man of such films as Halloween III, The Fog, Maniac Cop, The Ninth Configuration, and Tarantulas: Deadly Cargo. How dare you.

You’re just going to gloss over Tom Atkins like that? 80s heartthrob and leading man of such films as Halloween III, The Fog, Maniac Cop, The Ninth Configuration, and Tarantulas: Deadly Cargo. How dare you.
Which one is he, the cop?

Which one is he, the cop?
Yep

The Blob (88) (Pluto free): IMDB 6.6. I expected so much worse. The effects in this were really good until the blob got really large, then they were uneven. But some of the effects as it consumed/broke people were so horrifying and well done! Matt Dillon and Shawnee Smith (and someone we thought would be the main character until he wasn't) are the main characters. I've never seen the original McQueen version and don't intend to watch it, so I don't know if the twist about its origin was original to this version or not. One thing I liked here was that it didn't seem to be moralizing like some 80s horror movies, where people get et because they're being judged as bad people - this thing just eats everyone, you just get unlucky enough to be in the same place as it is. It's funny - there was one scene that annoyed me because I thought it was setting up to be the typical punishment death, then they panned out and it was a movie within a movie playing in the theater. I'm glad I watched this - good effects were hard to come by in the 80s.

Bonus The Thing movie poster cameo - nice nod.

The Blob (88) (Pluto free): IMDB 6.6. I expected so much worse. The effects in this were really good until the blob got really large, then they were uneven. But some of the effects as it consumed/broke people were so horrifying and well done! Matt Dillon and Shawnee Smith (and someone we thought would be the main character until he wasn't) are the main characters. I've never seen the original McQueen version and don't intend to watch it, so I don't know if the twist about its origin was original to this version or not. One thing I liked here was that it didn't seem to be moralizing like some 80s horror movies, where people get et because they're being judged as bad people - this thing just eats everyone, you just get unlucky enough to be in the same place as it is. It's funny - there was one scene that annoyed me because I thought it was setting up to be the typical punishment death, then they panned out and it was a movie within a movie playing in the theater. I'm glad I watched this - good effects were hard to come by in the 80s.

Bonus The Thing movie poster cameo - nice nod.
Was a big fan of this one as a kid. Had a huge crush on Shawnee. I still like the 50’s version more.

I'm watching some of the movies from the top 200 thread. Deathgasm (Prime) was great - the main story wasn't so good, and the friend was a complete a-hole, but this movie is worth it for the funny bits... it's like Beavis made a horror movie. The visions the main guy and girl get when they listen to metal, the quick montage of him having to try 5 different positions to get a chainsaw started, even the title cards... just hilarious, it had me laughing out loud a lot. 2015 movie from New Zealand, 6.3 IMDB rating.

Users who are viewing this thread