What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bird Flu: Should we be worried? (1 Viewer)

Ilov80s

Footballguy
Remnants of the virus are in at least 20% of our milk. It's infeting dairy cows in several States and seems like it's able to jump mamal to mamal now. A bunch of cats died, a dophin died from it. There are people with it being quarantined in Jharkland. Now ground beef is being tested to see if the bird flu is in the meat.

Should we be worried?

Anyone have thoughts? Concerns? Knowledge? Reputable links?

Cooking the meat should kill the bird flu. The FDA says the milk is safe... so take it for what its worth

Cooking the meat should kill the bird flu. The FDA says the milk is safe... so take it for what its worth
Yeah I’m not too worried about the milk. The big issue would be once idiots drinking raw milk get it or the dairy workers get infected and then spread it to everyone else. I beloved it can be passed like any other respiratory virus.

Yeah I’m not too worried about the milk. The big issue would be once idiots drinking raw milk get it or the dairy workers get infected and then spread it to everyone else. I beloved it can be passed like any other respiratory virus.
Dairy workers never come into direct contact when milk during the processing and packaging. The sanitation requirements are very strict and depending on the state, may be inspected by 3 different agencies, with one state agency having a full time person dedicated to that milk plant.

Meat packing on the other hand…

Remnants of the virus are in at least 20% of our milk. It's infeting dairy cows in several States and seems like it's able to jump mamal to mamal now. A bunch of cats died, a dophin died from it. There are people with it being quarantined in Jharkland. Now ground beef is being tested to see if the bird flu is in the meat.

Should we be worried?

Frankly, I'm more worried about your malfunctioning keyboard.

Should we be worried?

thats how it begins

Should we be worried?

LOL. That’s more an issue of me doing 5 things at once and a refusal to proofread my posts here.

Dairy workers never come into direct contact when milk during the processing and packaging. The sanitation requirements are very strict and depending on the state, may be inspected by 3 different agencies, with one state agency having a full time person dedicated to that milk plant.

The three bolded are vastly different animals. Dairy workers absolutely come into direct contact with milk.

The three bolded are vastly different animals. Dairy workers absolutely come into direct contact with milk.
Are you talking about the people that work at a dairy farm? Then sure, but those numbers are far fewer and more spread out than workers at a dairy plant. I think with farm workers the concern has always been their proximity to the animals.

Are you talking about the people that work at a dairy farm? Then sure, but those numbers are far fewer and more spread out than workers at a dairy plant. I think with farm workers the concern has always been their proximity to the animals.
Yeah, that's why i wanted to clarify "dairy worker" from the other two. They handle milk quite often in transfer hoses/tanks/trucks.

Remnants of the virus are in at least 20% of our milk.

This, alone, is nothing. "Remnants of virus" = "detritus that can't infect anything".

There are loads of viral remnants in everything we breathe, eat, and drink. It's a lot like the gajillion microbes that live on our skin and in our intestines. No need to dwell on them ... but they are most definitely ever present.

Last edited:
I work in animal health. We've been watching this for a while - both for the potential impact on farmers/producers, as well as from a human angle. One of our internal updates had the below - I think right now human risk is very low. Those who do contract something have had very mild symptoms. Cattle risk is still quite low too - I don't believe it's fatal to the cow, and as noted, pasteurization kills the virus in milk.

The bigger risk is honestly economically - if this moves into domestic poultry flocks, you'll see one of two things - mass bird deaths, which will kill the flock sizes, OR mandatory vaccinations - which under current regulations would destroy the export market as typically vaccinated birds cannot be exported.

Effective Monday, April 29, 2024, the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) announced a Federal Order issued by the Biden administration requiring the following measures of (1) mandatory testing for interstate movement of dairy cattle and (2) mandatory reporting. USDA confirmed they have not found changes to the virus that would make it more transmissible to humans and between people. U.S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reinforces that current risk to the public remains low. The FDA and USDA continue to indicate that the commercial milk supply is safe because of the pasteurization process and the diversion of milk from sick cows.

I work in animal health. We've been watching this for a while - both for the potential impact on farmers/producers, as well as from a human angle. One of our internal updates had the below - I think right now human risk is very low. Those who do contract something have had very mild symptoms. Cattle risk is still quite low too - I don't believe it's fatal to the cow, and as noted, pasteurization kills the virus in milk.

The bigger risk is honestly economically - if this moves into domestic poultry flocks, you'll see one of two things - mass bird deaths, which will kill the flock sizes, OR mandatory vaccinations - which under current regulations would destroy the export market as typically vaccinated birds cannot be exported.

Effective Monday, April 29, 2024, the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) announced a Federal Order issued by the Biden administration requiring the following measures of (1) mandatory testing for interstate movement of dairy cattle and (2) mandatory reporting. USDA confirmed they have not found changes to the virus that would make it more transmissible to humans and between people. U.S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reinforces that current risk to the public remains low. The FDA and USDA continue to indicate that the commercial milk supply is safe because of the pasteurization process and the diversion of milk from sick cows.

So start hoarding chicken wings?

So start hoarding chicken wings?
This.

There are several flavors of bird flu, and some of them have >50% mortality rate in humans. H5N1 is the most concerning, though thankfully it doesn’t really transmit person-to-person (only a half dozen cases, maybe). But flu has a nasty habit of mixing and matching viral parts from different species, so it’s probably just a matter of time.

At this point, you’re much more likely to be gored by a hippo, so prep accordingly.

There are several flavors of bird flu, and some of them have >50% mortality rate in humans. H5N1 is the most concerning, though thankfully it doesn’t really transmit person-to-person (only a half dozen cases, maybe). But flu has a nasty habit of mixing and matching viral parts from different species, so it’s probably just a matter of time.

At this point, you’re much more likely to be gored by a hippo, so prep accordingly.

That is one of my bigger fears, some sort of massive disease outbreak with a high mortality rate (like the movie contagion or whatever)

That is one of my bigger fears, some sort of massive disease outbreak with a high mortality rate (like the movie contagion or whatever)
i'm more concerned about the hippos.

i'm more concerned about the hippos.
Heard thru the grapevine that they're hungry. Quite hungry.

Users who are viewing this thread