What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

101 Best Songs of 1994 - #1 - Notorious BIG - Juicy (1 Viewer)

At the time, I didn't. Not sure if it was on in my town. But Bob The Dragon would play his homemade tapes a lot freshman year. It's how i first heard Leonard Nimoy's Bilbo Baggins and some bizarre ode to Hyapatia Lee.
that Bilbo song is wild

Bilbo (Bilbo!), Bilbo Baggins
He's only three feet tall
Bilbo (Bilbo!), Bilbo Baggins
The bravest little hobbit of 'em all!

This slipped by. Is there a Pantera fan that would roll his eyes at a song off of Vulgar? 

I think I know which one it is. That's still a (probably too intensely macho) good song, though Anselmo's preening takes on a different meaning these days. It's sorta ugly. 
Oops.  I meant 1992. Or maybe I didn't.  I'm all confused.  Outside doing yardwork so can't check the wiki.

Last edited by a moderator:
Songs I know why you left off, but I wouldn't have:

Sure Shot--Beastie Boys

The World is Yours--Nas-----I don't make this list without two tracks each from Biggie, Nas, and Beasties. 

Snakedriver--Jesus and Mary Chain--But man, leaving it off for Sometimes Always? I approve. And not just because I would cut off both thumbs for a whiff of Hope Sandoval's hair. When you started this list, I figured that song would be among my favorites you left off. Scored cool points with me here, brah. 

Hip-hop tracks I would have included, but understand why they wouldn't make most lists:

Gang Starr--Mass Appeal 

Digable Planets--9th Wonder

I was early to the gangsta rap scene, and by 1994, I was more turned on by the jazzy Native Tongues stuff. If anyone is unfamiliar, check out Guru's 1993 Jazzmatazz Vol 1, and thank me later. 

MC Solaar--Obsolete

Get down with the best French rapper of all time. I ended up at some gay dude's after party in 1994, first time I heard this album. 

Songs there is no excuse to leave off, and shame on you:

James--Laid

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds--Red Right Hand

I was about to come in hear and kick and scream because no country songs and then I looked at the actualy country songs this year.

What a gosh darn nightmare.  Just absolutely awful.  Nice job by Scorchy not forcing a genre into the mix.  JFC, was it bad.

#90 - Live - I Alone

#57 - De La Soul - Ego Trippin' (Part 2)

#52 - Oasis - Rock 'N' Roll Star

#51 - Stone Temple Pilots - Big Empty

#41 - Tom Petty - You Don't Know How It Feels

#40 - Radiohead - My Iron Lung

#35 - A Tribe Called Quest - Oh My God

#26 - Alice in Chains - No Excuses

#23 - Notorious BIG - Big Poppa

#16 - Green Day - Basket Case

#15 - Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song

#14 - Beastie Boys - Sabotage

#13 - Alice in Chains - I Stay Away

#10 - Warren G and Nate Dogg - Regulate

#8 - Nirvana - The Man Who Sold The World

#6 - Nine Inch Nails - Closer

#2 -Nirvana - Where Did You Sleep Last Night?

#1 - Notorious BIG - Juicy

These are the songs most likely to make my top 20, but not in this order.  I'll have to put thought into that.

Songs that would have easily made my top 100 but were not listed/discussed.

Us3 - Cantaloop

Candlebox - Far Behind (possibly top 25)

The Breeders - Cannonball (banger)

Mazzy Star - Fade Into You (1993??)

I was about to come in hear and kick and scream because no country songs and then I looked at the actualy country songs this year.

What a gosh darn nightmare.  Just absolutely awful.  Nice job by Scorchy not forcing a genre into the mix.  JFC, was it bad.
Ehhh it’s not terrible.  More than I was thinking that I don’t feel like listing right now.  Maybe will break it down later

This one was one of my favorites from that year Blackhawk - Goodbye Says It All

Gang Starr--Mass Appeal 

Digable Planets--9th Wonder

I was early to the gangsta rap scene, and by 1994, I was more turned on by the jazzy Native Tongues stuff. If anyone is unfamiliar, check out Guru's 1993 Jazzmatazz Vol 1, and thank me later. 

Songs there is no excuse to leave off, and shame on you:

James--Laid

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds--Red Right Hand
Never heard the MC Solaar track or Guru.   :thumbup:

As for the rest, Gang Starr (and Bone Thugs N Harmony) were both on the last 4 out list and Digable Planets weren't on my radar after Reachin'.  

I do have an excuse for Laid - my sources say 1993.  For Nick Cave, I just never got it.  Take away my goth card now...

gotcha, I'm guessing most of what I listed was '93?
Yup - at least according to wikipedia and discogs.  It can get complicated when the single was released at different times in different countries or hit the charts in the year following the release.

Nothing from Korns self titled (Blind, Ball Tongue, Shoots and Ladders) or Marilyn Manson Portrait of An American Family? I mean who doesn’t like Cake and Sodomy?
Cake and Sodomy and Get Your Gunn both packed the floor at my club.  Unfortunately, I've had to retire my "3 am breakfast at Denny's with Marilyn Manson" story in light of recent allegations.

Nothing from Korns self titled (Blind, Ball Tongue, Shoots and Ladders) or Marilyn Manson Portrait of An American Family? I mean who doesn’t like Cake and Sodomy?
Manson is one messed up guy but that American Family album absolutely rocks.   My brother suggested I buy it since I liked NIN.   I really got into Mansion for a few years and seeing him live was always a blast.   

Never heard the MC Solaar track or Guru.   :thumbup:

As for the rest, Gang Starr (and Bone Thugs N Harmony) were both on the last 4 out list and Digable Planets weren't on my radar after Reachin'.  

I do have an excuse for Laid - my sources say 1993.  For Nick Cave, I just never got it.  Take away my goth card now...
Solaar and Guru actually recorded together at some point. For real, that Jazzmatazz album is a classic, you will dig it

Great stuff, scorchy.

Obviously Cobain's death was the watershed music moment for me in 1994. It happened right after my birthday, which made it even more of a downer. 

But the moment in 1994 that had the biggest impact on my tastes today happened on Valentine's Day. I went to see Tool on Valentine's Day, because why wouldn't a young single guy do that in the '90s? That's not what made the lasting impression, though; I drifted away from Tool a few years later. Rather, it was my first exposure to the opening band, Failure. I went through my history with them in this post so I won't rehash it here, but today I probably listen to them more than any other band I discovered in the '90s. A few songs from their 1994 album Magnified would make my top 100 for the year. 

Great stuff, scorchy.

Obviously Cobain's death was the watershed music moment for me in 1994. It happened right after my birthday, which made it even more of a downer. 

But the moment in 1994 that had the biggest impact on my tastes today happened on Valentine's Day. I went to see Tool on Valentine's Day, because why wouldn't a young single guy do that in the '90s? That's not what made the lasting impression, though; I drifted away from Tool a few years later. Rather, it was my first exposure to the opening band, Failure. I went through my history with them in this post so I won't rehash it here, but today I probably listen to them more than any other band I discovered in the '90s. A few songs from their 1994 album Magnified would make my top 100 for the year. 
I actually had never really listened to Failure until I heard Wild Type Droid by chance a few months ago....I really dig the album.  I need to explore their catalog for sure.

Luckily for me, only one was released in '94 (Don't Turn Around).  According to my research, The Sign was a huge hit in '94 but was released the year earlier and All That She Wants the year before that.  For the record, I consider the latter two "pleasures" rather than "guilty pleasures."
I know its easy to bash on pop,  but there is a lot of skill and craft that goes into making these songs. Ace of Base could definitely deliver catchy pop. 

Unfortunately the blonde singer had serious stalker issues and basically became a hermit. The band, basically a family unit, continued without her

Scandinavian pop is a wonderful genre.

Great list by the way. 

Loved reading the Failure story - thanks for linking.  Crazy the power that music can hold.

I know its easy to bash on pop,  but there is a lot of skill and craft that goes into making these songs. Ace of Base could definitely deliver catchy pop. 
Yeah, I never got the outsized hatred for all things "pop" either. Even at my most pretentious in regards to music (roughly, most of my teenage years), I was still buying Bo Donaldson, BC Rollers, and John Denver records. I'd just hide them when my equally pretentious friends came over 😁

Users who are viewing this thread