What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Celtics win East and now wait to see whether Luka or Kyrie suffer season-ending injury (39 Viewers)

Jacquez is fun to watch. More athletic than advertised. Some Butler-like moves in the paint.

Celtics-Thunder tonight with both teams fully healthy. Should be an interesting game.
Really good game so far. Shai and Tatum going shot for shot, Chet vs KP, Celtics trying to contain the thunder’s hard drive and spray game, Celtics exploiting some of OKC’s impatience and impudence, hope the second half is as good

The Bulls have had recent success against Philadelphia, and tonight it seemed (in Michael Jordan's voice) Philadelphia took that personally, and came out gunning.

Celtics-Thunder tonight with both teams fully healthy. Should be an interesting game.
Really good game so far. Shai and Tatum going shot for shot, Chet vs KP, Celtics trying to contain the thunder’s hard drive and spray game, Celtics exploiting some of OKC’s impatience and impudence, hope the second half is as good
Didn't get to watch the game, but I think they match up really well on paper.

Looking at stats, Browns 0/8 from 3 didn't help, but the rest of the team shot it well. KP & Tatum definitely did their part offensively, but I think the Celtics' defense of SGA off the dribble is the biggest key. Horford's slowness can be exploited out there as well with the athleticism the Thunder have. Their starting 5 should be fine, but once the starters come out, the Thunder should have some advantages.

Celtics won the rebounds 47-38, but lost the TO battle 14-10 and the Thunder shot 45% from 3 vs 37.5% for Boston. Celtics shot 12 more FT's and made 11 more than OKC. Somehow Jrue Holiday was -15.

I watched the game and the problem for BOS for most of the second half is OKC barely missed. The C’s would play solid defense most of the time and the ball would get kicked out for a last second three that for a huge stretch always went down. Jrue had issues keeping SGA in front of him, and he’d slip by for an easy layup. Per the usual, Boston had too many late game turnovers, and when every possession counts, too many giveaways that turn into easy baskets will kill a team. Boston also missed a ton of layups. It’s always hard to win on the road against top teams, so I would not draw any conclusions from a close loss. We’ll see how opponents do in BOS as a comparison.

Last edited:
I watched the game and the problem for BOS for most of the second half is OKC barely missed. The C’s would play solid defense most of the time and the ball would get kicked out for a last second three that for a huge stretch always went down. Jrue had issues keeping SGA in front of him, and he’d slip by for an easy layup. Per the usual, Boston had too many late game turnovers, and when every possession counts, too many giveaways that turn into easy baskets will kill a team. Boston also missed a ton of layups. It’s always hard to win on the road against top teams, so I would not draw any conclusions from a close loss. We’ll see how opponents do in BOS as a comparison.

This is pretty much exactly how the Wolves game against OKC went. Especially OKC shooting the lights out (not surprise, they're like 40% as a team or something) and the turnovers (also not a surprise, as the Wolves are a bunch of dummies).

I know a lot of us NBA watchers have seen this coming but OKC is going to become the next Golden State type dynasty. That war chest of #1 picks they're holding onto is just crazy and their lineup is already producing at a championship level which is coming a lot sooner than I expected. I think they'll be able to hold onto the core this time around after learning their lesson from the Durant/Westbrook/Harden debacle. Not looking forward to facing them the next 10 years. Presti is easily the best GM in the game. Salute to him and OKC fans.

The Thunder have had quite a bit of shooting luck (on both sides) for sure, but the missing layups thing is Chet. He’s a menace.
He often is, but Boston missed layups when he wasn't even in the game. There were times when they had a 3 to 1 advantage at the basket and still clanked 3 or 4 shots and came away with nothing. The Celtics also missed a ton of open three pointers. They had possessions where they passed the ball 8 or 10 times and a guy wide open just missed. The third quarter was just plain abysmal for Boston (outscored by 15 points). OKC had an 18-point lead with 6 minutes left in the game before Boston woke up, started making shots, and closed things to a 2-point game in a span of 5 and a half minutes, but they ran out of time to make it all the way back.

In contrast to the earlier Grant Williams complaints about not knowing a role, I don't think I've ever seen a player more likely to shoot the ball within 1 second of it touching his hands than Tim Hardaway, Jr. Blackest of all black holes. BUT...that's exactly his role and what's needed from him. He only does five things, but they are five things he does well and exactly what is asked of him:

1. 100% of the time Space the floor
2. 70% of the time Catch and shoot it from anywhere, anytime
3. 20% of the time Pump, one dribble, pullup
4. 5% of the time Run the wing or take long rebound right to the basket coast to coast style
5. 5% of the time Backdoor cut occasionally for free layups

Last edited:
The Kings are wasting a down ballot MVP season from Fox because they are awful on the wing. Murray has flashed but he’s been only OK on balance. Huerter and Barnes are just bottom tier starters who are giving them nothing. Duarte has been a tire fire when he’s taken Huerter’s minutes. This team needs a trade but I don’t know who is out there that can help and would be available. I would even be down with one of those “trade every pick that’s not nailed down deals” for a SG or PF who could help them win a playoff round.

Last edited:
The Kings are wasting a down ballot MVP season from Fox because they are awful on the wing. Murray has flashed but he’s been only OK on balance. Huerter and Barnes are just bottom tier starters who are giving them nothing. Duarte has been a tire fire when he’s taken Huerter’s minutes. This team needs a trade but I don’t know who is out there that can help and would be available. I would even be down with one of those “trade every pick that’s not nailed down deals” for a SG or PF who could help them win a playoff round.

Would a Jerami Grant type help? I'm not a good NBA nerd, so I am asking in all sincerity. He's gotta be available, just not sure if he helps a team like Sacramento or not.

Would a Jerami Grant type help? I'm not a good NBA nerd, so I am asking in all sincerity. He's gotta be available, just not sure if he helps a team like Sacramento or not.
Yeah, in theory he'd be a great fit. I haven't watched the Blazers much this year but I heard someone on a podcast say that his defense has fallen off. He'd still be an offensive upgrade on Barnes at this point but if the Kings are going to wreck their future payroll flexibility I'd want to be sure he's a major upgrade on Barnes defensively too.

Yeah, in theory he'd be a great fit. I haven't watched the Blazers much this year but I heard someone on a podcast say that his defense has fallen off. He'd still be an offensive upgrade on Barnes at this point but if the Kings are going to wreck their future payroll flexibility I'd want to be sure he's a major upgrade on Barnes defensively too.

I can't watch the Blazers anymore either. Not sure who made the decision or why, but they took the games off regular cable TV and now if you want to watch them its an extra cost. Nuts to that.

I'd hate to see Grant squander a few of his prime years on a team that's not going to be very good for the foreseeable future. But that contract they gave him....whooof.

I can't watch the Blazers anymore either. Not sure who made the decision or why, but they took the games off regular cable TV and now if you want to watch them its an extra cost. Nuts to that.

I'd hate to see Grant squander a few of his prime years on a team that's not going to be very good for the foreseeable future. But that contract they gave him....whooof.
I would have loved to have him on Dallas instead of Grant Williams. or in addition to.

The problem with Grant for most teams is why would you trade for him when you can trade for Dorian Finney Smith?

Sorry for the beatdown @Frostillicus :clyde:

That was probably our best complete game in a quite a while, and I was very doubtful going into the game, considering we played the night before at home and didn't even get to town until like 3AM. But man, when we have our starting lineup, we can hang with any team in the league. Let's see if it holds up after the all star break.

I would have loved to have him on Dallas instead of Grant Williams. or in addition to.

The problem with Grant for most teams is why would you trade for him when you can trade for Dorian Finney Smith?
Maybe DFS is more expensive in terms of trade compensation because he's on a shorter and more reasonable deal? I imagine most of the benefit to Portland for a Grant deal would be receiving more palatable salaries back. I don't think anyone is trading better contracts + first(s) for Grant.

Maybe DFS is more expensive in terms of trade compensation because he's on a shorter and more reasonable deal? I imagine most of the benefit to Portland for a Grant deal would be receiving more palatable salaries back. I don't think anyone is trading better contracts + first(s) for Grant.

I agree with this. Portland is probably better off keeping Grant for a couple of years and letting him mentor the younger players. If Grant is still playing at a decent level during the 25/26 season he would have a lot of value as a guy with under 2 years left on his deals and his price wouldn't be so bad as contracts go up.

It is a gamble, but I think worth it for Portland. Plus if Grant's play does fall off a cliff he would still probably have more value in the 26/27 season as an expiring deal than he does right now.

Sorry for the beatdown @Frostillicus :clyde:

That was probably our best complete game in a quite a while, and I was very doubtful going into the game, considering we played the night before at home and didn't even get to town until like 3AM. But man, when we have our starting lineup, we can hang with any team in the league. Let's see if it holds up after the all star break.
Very impressive win for the Pelicans for sure.

Zach lavine may be available..,

I know a lot of us NBA watchers have seen this coming but OKC is going to become the next Golden State type dynasty. That war chest of #1 picks they're holding onto is just crazy and their lineup is already producing at a championship level which is coming a lot sooner than I expected. I think they'll be able to hold onto the core this time around after learning their lesson from the Durant/Westbrook/Harden debacle. Not looking forward to facing them the next 10 years. Presti is easily the best GM in the game. Salute to him and OKC fans.
And he probably is smart enough not to pick the next James Wiseman, Kuminga or Moses Moody.

I don’t know if DFS would fetch more in a trade. That player type can fall off quickly, which it kind of looked like it had, though he’s better now. I think that more teams would be interested in Grant’s perceived upside, though it’s pretty tough to tell how overpaid the rest of the league perceives him. I think if someone really thought he could be good this year and next year, they would probably not be that deterred by the length of the contract and figure they could just deal with it later. And if the Kings could put Barnes in the deal, then it might be reasonable and their cap sheet would be totally fine in ‘25 with Fox, Sabonis, grant, huerter, Murray and vezenkov under contract (last 2 team options). They would still be $40 mill under the projected tax line.

Now, you almost certainly would be limiting your ceiling and I’m not saying it would be a great idea (more just thinking it through out loud), but I don’t think it would be a terrible idea. Seems like they could trade 2 picks and 2 swaps at most, but I don’t think I’d want to do any more than 2 picks in a Barnes for Grant deal. Also the rest of the matching salary is tough. Best for the Kings would presumably be Duarte+mitchell or maybe Lyles, though I don’t think that would get the blazers juices flowing, so I doubt they would do it without more draft capital.

Can I interest you in a PJ Washington?

Can I interest you in a PJ Washington?
I do like him but he’s not the upgrade I’m hoping for.

Barnes was a resigning for the sake of resigning. The writing was the wall to part ways.

Grant has a bad deal that isn't going to fetch much of a return given the deal but can help a team. Ayton's got one of the worst contracts in the league and a replacement level league minimum type center.

Wemby and Giannis was a fun highlight filled watch

Users who are viewing this thread