What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Mavs - Boston it is (41 Viewers)

Loving these courts. Wish they had something similar for the in season tourney instead of those ill colored monstrosities.

As for the dunk contest, Jaylen Brown is the worst NBA dunk contestant that I can remember to ever be leading. That ode to Dee Brown was comically bad :lmao:

I think the argument would be the smaller ball is an advantage on same size rim. Would it be equivalent to giving Steph a rim that is 1 inch bigger in circumference?

I think the argument would be the smaller ball is an advantage on same size rim. Would it be equivalent to giving Steph a rim that is 1 inch bigger in circumference?

As opposed to making her use a mens sized ball that she probably never uses in her life?

Is there a scouting report on why McClung can't keep an NBA roster spot?
Idk. He’s putting up 25 a game in the g league.
Take a look at the g league mvps and decide for yourself how much success there really means

I would say that the best g league players are essentially the equivalent of 4A players in baseball. The only 2 mvps with a modicum of success are Boucher and Reed, who have very specific skill sets that work within limited roles. Mcclung doesn’t have any skill like that.

As opposed to making her use a mens sized ball that she probably never uses in her life?
If people really care that much about it, let the men use a women's ball. Fun stories here, with quick context. I coached at a P5 school (I've said this before) and so saw a decent amount of one of the best women's teams in the nation.

I also went to Oklahoma, where we had a top 5-10 women's team with All-Americans, and played on the women's practice squad for a while, and dated a player for a while. Things I believe based on lived and watched experience:

1. Women can shoot as well or better than men. The ball doesn't matter that much. The 3-point line does. e.g., playing from HS line on men's ball is about the same, college line with men's ball maybe slight men's advantage, NBA line with men's ball would start to put women at a disadvantage. Not because of circumference but because of weight. Alternately, if you let both use the women's ball from any line, you immediately give the men an advantage. It seriously felt effortless to jack the women's ball from way deep over and over.

1a. WNBA average FT% is usually around 80%, NBA is usually around 78%.

2. The average woman who is amazing at basketball is more skilled than the average man who is amazing at basketball. Period. The difference in athleticism between the best vs average WNBA player is a much smaller spread than between the best and average athleticism of NBA players. That manifests in men being able to do insane things with quite frankly modest skills.

3. That athleticism (strength and speed) is why women cannot compete with men of comparable skill (e.g., best in WNBA vs best in NBA, NCAA all americans facing off, etc) in an actual game. As a guy who could have played D-III, might have been able to walk on and never get any playing time at a mid-major, and am an average athlete at best, we absolutely whopped the women's team with some regularity in college. We were just that much bigger, faster, stronger. They were WAY more skilled. Whitney Hand and I could actually compete 1:1 in spite of my natural advantages because she was WAY better. In a 3-point contest, she would have killed me. I never lost to my girlfriend (who was not an All American) and I mostly did things like play left handed only. HORSE was competitive though (today, out of practice, I'd get annihilated in HORSE by any college playing or higher level playing woman, with any ball).

I guess what I don't understand is why this isn't fairly obvious to people, and why anyone debates it. Women are amazing at basketball. Super skilled. They also aren't men, don't jump as high or run as fast or have ability to shoot from as far, etc. That's ok. I think it's cool to see the competitions of skill where those differences can pretty decently be leveled out, and in a mixed gender pickup game of equals (not intramurals where one teams girl sucks and one teams girl is awesome, talking like 3 dudes 2 women on every team and they all know how to play) they can totally hold their own and not get picked on. There shouldn't really be any discouse on this.

Yeah, women can match or exceed men's skill, but the athleticism gap is insurmountable.

A decent boys HS team could easily play with the best NCAA women's teams.

Even an NAIA college men's team would beat a WNBA team quite easily.

Once you have guys that can dunk easily and the speed/strength of the 20 year old 6'+ guards, forwards at 6'4"+, C's over 6'7" and all weighing 170-250 lbs; no team of women can compete. No matter how great of a shooter you are, it doesn't do much good if you can't get your shot off and also if you can't keep your opponent from getting to the rim.

Sabrina and Steph was awesome. Kenny Smith may not want to check social media for a while.
Her using wnba size ball is still a big advantage
How? It’s her ball.
It’s smaller, so easier to fit inside the rim than the larger nba ball? More room for error.
lol come on man
? It’s physics? Like at the carnival when the rims are small or slightly oval shaped — makes it harder etc.

Just turned this on — going to get to 200?? That’s the come on man.

What happened to the target score ending?

If people really care that much about it, let the men use a women's ball. Fun stories here, with quick context. I coached at a P5 school (I've said this before) and so saw a decent amount of one of the best women's teams in the nation.

I also went to Oklahoma, where we had a top 5-10 women's team with All-Americans, and played on the women's practice squad for a while, and dated a player for a while. Things I believe based on lived and watched experience:

1. Women can shoot as well or better than men. The ball doesn't matter that much. The 3-point line does. e.g., playing from HS line on men's ball is about the same, college line with men's ball maybe slight men's advantage, NBA line with men's ball would start to put women at a disadvantage. Not because of circumference but because of weight. Alternately, if you let both use the women's ball from any line, you immediately give the men an advantage. It seriously felt effortless to jack the women's ball from way deep over and over.

2. The average woman who is amazing at basketball is more skilled than the average man who is amazing at basketball. Period. The difference in athleticism between the best vs average WNBA player is a much smaller spread than between the best and average athleticism of NBA players. That manifests in men being able to do insane things with quite frankly modest skills.

3. That athleticism (strength and speed) is why women cannot compete with men of comparable skill (e.g., best in WNBA vs best in NBA, NCAA all americans facing off, etc) in an actual game. As a guy who could have played D-III, might have been able to walk on and never get any playing time at a mid-major, and am an average athlete at best, we absolutely whopped the women's team with some regularity in college. We were just that much bigger, faster, stronger. They were WAY more skilled. Whitney Hand and I could actually compete 1:1 in spite of my natural advantages because she was WAY better. In a 3-point contest, she would have killed me. I never lost to my girlfriend (who was not an All American) and I mostly did things like play left handed only. HORSE was competitive though (today, out of practice, I'd get annihilated in HORSE by any college playing or higher level playing woman, with any ball).

I guess what I don't understand is why this isn't fairly obvious to people, and why anyone debates it. Women are amazing at basketball. Super skilled. They also aren't men, don't jump as high or run as fast or have ability to shoot from as far, etc. That's ok. I think it's cool to see the competitions of skill where those differences can pretty decently be leveled out, and in a mixed gender pickup game of equals (not intramurals where one teams girl sucks and one teams girl is awesome, talking like 3 dudes 2 women on every team and they all know how to play) they can totally hold their own and not get picked on. There shouldn't really be any discouse on this.
There's discourse because it's only your opinion. And a minority opinion at that.

I wonder if this game will eventually go the way of the dodo like the Pro Bowl did. The whole thing is a joke now. 97 3s attempted by the East? Teams shot 79% from 2 point range? If both teams didn’t brick so many 3s the score could have been 250-220. Not sure what the answer is, but feels like something needs to change.

I wonder if this game will eventually go the way of the dodo like the Pro Bowl did. The whole thing is a joke now. 97 3s attempted by the East? Teams shot 79% from 2 point range? If both teams didn’t brick so many 3s the score could have been 250-220. Not sure what the answer is, but feels like something needs to change.

This is when the mid-season tournament championship should be played. Get rid of the All-Star game, have all the Saturday stuff to lead up to the Championship game on Sunday.

It’s physics? Like at the carnival when the rims are small or slightly oval shaped — makes it harder etc.
You’re working too hard here man lol I haven’t heard one other person say this.
Are you serious? Of course it's easier to hit shots with a smaller ball (assuming you're used to the weight of the ball). More margin for error for the ball to still go in.
It’s the ball she uses. You really think they’re going to bring her out there and give her a different ball? That’s honestly insane.

Also, nobody with the NBA or Curry’s camp complained about this. Why are you guys?

So, Draymond Green assaults two people on the court this season, acts like he got help while getting off easy, and gets rewarded with a nice TNT gig for the All-Star Game. The NBA must be so proud. Actually, they probably are, because the All-Star game was a good example of what the NBA is now: a total joke.

It’s physics? Like at the carnival when the rims are small or slightly oval shaped — makes it harder etc.
Are you serious? Of course it's easier to hit shots with a smaller ball (assuming you're used to the weight of the ball). More margin for error for the ball to still go in.
It’s the ball she uses. You really think they’re going to bring her out there and give her a different ball? That’s honestly insane.

Also, nobody with the NBA or Curry’s camp complained about this. Why are you guys?
Nobody is complaining. Nobody is saying she should have changed balls, as that would have been a disaster probably for a few reasons. It's just not apples to apples at all.

Is there a scouting report on why McClung can't keep an NBA roster spot?
Idk. He’s putting up 25 a game in the g league.
Take a look at the g league mvps and decide for yourself how much success there really means

I would say that the best g league players are essentially the equivalent of 4A players in baseball. The only 2 mvps with a modicum of success are Boucher and Reed, who have very specific skill sets that work within limited roles. Mcclung doesn’t have any skill like that.

The Bucks have a bench player named MarJon Beauchamp who averages about 5 minutes a game and usually scores about 5 points. Last month for reasons unknown to me he played one game for their G league affiliate (the Wisconsin Herd) one night. He had 36 points. Had never practiced with that team.

So, Draymond Green assaults two people on the court this season, acts like he got help while getting off easy, and gets rewarded with a nice TNT gig for the All-Star Game. The NBA must be so proud. Actually, they probably are, because the All-Star game was a good example of what the NBA is now: a total joke.

And here you are.

Agree, that would be insane, just like making Curry use a women's ball would be insane and he'd be terrible because it isn't what he has practiced with all his life.

All we're saying is that it's a slightly easier shot with a women's ball - I don't even think anyone is complaining about the difference.

i liked it when they had the first to hit a number quarters that made them play d and it was fun to watch bring that back take that to the bank brohans

I don't expect the all-star game to be truly competeitive. But I expect it to be fun. Guys barely jogging up the court to just jack up threes is boring.

How about some guys occasionally taking a one-on-one matchup seriously sometimes. Or trying to do some highlight dunks. Anything!

Am I misremembering that they went with target score the last few years, or was that just the rookie game(s)? That could probably help.

There's discourse because it's only your opinion. And a minority opinion at that.
Minority opinion? It's the opinion of anyone who ever played basketball beyond PE, including the girls/women.

Watching Joker run up and down the court last night, was the highlight of the game. He was like I don't want to be here, but my team keeps pushing the pace and I have to run or I will look lazy.

I don't expect the all-star game to be truly competeitive. But I expect it to be fun. Guys barely jogging up the court to just jack up threes is boring.

How about some guys occasionally taking a one-on-one matchup seriously sometimes. Or trying to do some highlight dunks. Anything!

Am I misremembering that they went with target score the last few years, or was that just the rookie game(s)? That could probably help.
they did use the elam ending the last few years. Not sure why they decided to stop. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would have made since Halliburton and Lillard couldn't miss, at least from I saw in the 4th quarter, but I do like it better.

jeez, i didn't realize people were angry about the ASG.

they're never going to play a competitive 5 on 5. watching them shoot half court shots, style dunks and goof around is about what i expected and that's what we got.

jeez, i didn't realize people were angry about the ASG.

they're never going to play a competitive 5 on 5. watching them shoot half court shots, style dunks and goof around is about what i expected and that's what we got.

I don't know that anyone is angry. More disappointed. The game could at least seem fun. It was boring.

These guys all play pickup games in the summer. Often against each other or former NBA players etc. We have seen footage of those games, and the players seem to compete and care more in those gyms than on national TV. That is a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread