What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Lakers blame refs for blowing 20-point lead (10 Viewers)

I'm looking to take my son to the Suns-Wolves game in Phoenix. I haven't bought NBA tickets in years and don't really have any networking options offering tickets.

What's the best way to buy NBA tickets nowadays?
Probably through Ticketmaster, unfortunately. At least you know they'll be legitimate.

• Thanks
Reactions: Zow
It’s wild that Klay’s last game in Golden State resulted in 0 points.
The Athletic's Warriors insider thinks they'll offer him 2/40 or 3/60. He ended up with much better numbers on the season than I thought he had before I looked them up, but that contract would still be pretty crazy and I can't imagine anyone else being willing to offer him more than the midlevel exemption. So I think there's a pretty good chance he's back.
Idk most people seem to think he’s gone. GS is way over the tax for an extremely mediocre team but maybe they do it for sweet sentiments. I’m afraid the Magic offer him an idiot contract to solve the shooting issues.
People are assuming that someone will throw a bag at him because he's Klay Thompson, but no one seems to have stopped and thought about who that might be. Are the Magic really going to offer him 3/75 or something? I think that's his only real hope. The Sixers and Thunder are good teams with cap space but I think those GMs are way too savvy to overpay Thompson.
Pistons have a giant pile of salary cap space that nobody is really going to want to take and are dumb enough to do it

The Athletic's Warriors insider thinks they'll offer him 2/40 or 3/60. He ended up with much better numbers on the season than I thought he had before I looked them up, but that contract would still be pretty crazy and I can't imagine anyone else being willing to offer him more than the midlevel exemption. So I think there's a pretty good chance he's back.
Wizards about to offer him 4/272 million

I'm looking to take my son to the Suns-Wolves game in Phoenix. I haven't bought NBA tickets in years and don't really have any networking options offering tickets.

Probably through Ticketmaster, unfortunately. At least you know they'll be legitimate.
Was hoping that wasn't the answer but I appreciate it.

Sorry, I can't help you get tickets, but you reminded me of something that happened earlier in the year. My stepdaughter lives in NYC, and one of her friends had dated a guy that worked for the Knicks. He ended up moving on to work for the Suns, and her friend moved to Phoenix with him. Our daughter was headed out to California and decided to stop in to see her friend in Phoenix on the way. The Suns happened to be playing the Lakers in the time she was out there, and the BF got them tickets . . . which were front row right next to the bench. She got to meet LeBron, KD, AD, Booker, and the rest of the players. That meant absolutely, positively nothing to my her, as she has absolutely no interest in basketball whatsoever and hadn't even heard of the guys not named LeBron. My son lives and breathes hoops, and he about had an aneurysm when he found out his sister was hanging out pregame with a bunch of future HOFers. Sorry for the sidebar. Hope you find tickets and enjoy the game.

Sorry, I can't help you get tickets, but you reminded me of something that happened earlier in the year. My stepdaughter lives in NYC, and one of her friends had dated a guy that worked for the Knicks. He ended up moving on to work for the Suns, and her friend moved to Phoenix with him. Our daughter was headed out to California and decided to stop in to see her friend in Phoenix on the way. The Suns happened to be playing the Lakers in the time she was out there, and the BF got them tickets . . . which were front row right next to the bench. She got to meet LeBron, KD, AD, Booker, and the rest of the players. That meant absolutely, positively nothing to my her, as she has absolutely no interest in basketball whatsoever and hadn't even heard of the guys not named LeBron. My son lives and breathes hoops, and he about had an aneurysm when he found out his sister was hanging out pregame with a bunch of future HOFers. Sorry for the sidebar. Hope you find tickets and enjoy the game.
Does he take bribes?

Idk most people seem to think he’s gone. GS is way over the tax for an extremely mediocre team but maybe they do it for sweet sentiments. I’m afraid the Magic offer him an idiot contract to solve the shooting issues.
People are assuming that someone will throw a bag at him because he's Klay Thompson, but no one seems to have stopped and thought about who that might be. Are the Magic really going to offer him 3/75 or something? I think that's his only real hope. The Sixers and Thunder are good teams with cap space but I think those GMs are way too savvy to overpay Thompson.
Pistons have a giant pile of salary cap space that nobody is really going to want to take and are dumb enough to do it
Number 1 pick in the worst draft ever and most cap space in the worst free agent crop ever. And more (literal) palace intrigue than any team in the league. People are going to be chomping at the bit for that POBO job.

Bring in Hinkie!

Speaking of Hinkie, Daryl Morey was on the rights to Ricky Sanchez podcast yesterday and Hinkie came up tangentially and apparently he does not get any calls about working for an NBA team. Someone in this thread has a little insight into Hinkie’s life and I don’t think Hinkie cares, but honestly, he has a lot of good ideas that presumably could help a team in some capacity.

Does he take bribes?
I don't know the name of the guy or what his role / title is with the Suns. I am pretty confident that a text from my stepdaughter to her friend of "Hey, girlfriend, my stepdad is asking if your BF can snag tickets to tonight's Suns' playoff game for some guy he doesn't know from a fantasy football message board . . . but he's got deep pockets" probably wouldn't get a lot of traction.

Does he take bribes?
I don't know the name of the guy or what his role / title is with the Suns. I am pretty confident that a text from my stepdaughter to her friend of "Hey, girlfriend, my stepdad is asking if your BF can snag tickets to tonight's Suns' playoff game for some guy he doesn't know from a fantasy football message board . . . but he's got deep pockets" probably wouldn't get a lot of traction.
Well, with that kind of attitude...

Fontecchio seems like a good guy to keep around if he isn't too expensive. Miles Bridges would be a decent fit as well - the relative obscurity of Pistons basketball would be a good place to avoid the backlash of signing such a pile of **** person. I feel like Monte Morris was a good fit, he was just hurt, so chasing him again or somebody like Tyus Jones makes some sense on a short deal. Luke Kennard would be a nice fit offensively to give Cade some spacing. Buddy Hield also sucks defensively, but he seems in it for the pay day and is one of the most prolific shooters in the NBA.

Outside of potentially Bridges, I think they should look for short term fixes to just provide spacing to Cade, Thompson, Duren, and Ivey to see if any of them are really going to be part of the next great Pistons team. They badly need a real PG to take some of the load off of Cade (Ivey has shown any of that yet).

I could see a rotation of Tyus Jones/Cade/Thompson/Bridges/Duren with a bench of Sasser/Ivey/Grimes/Fonteccio/Stewart at least being competitive enough to evaluate the team.

A long time ago I sat court side at a Spurs home game vs the Raptors (my neighbor worked for Southwest Airlines and he scored the hand-me-downs). It was a revelation to see the handchecking and other contact up close and personal, but I could have possibly died had I not made a beer run in the 2nd quarter, because a Raptor crashed into my seat going for a loose ball while I had stepped away. Which Raptor, you ask? Oliver ####### Miller! ... or it might have been Gary Trent. Memory has faded.

A long time ago I sat court side at a Spurs home game vs the Raptors (my neighbor worked for Southwest Airlines and he scored the hand-me-downs). It was a revelation to see the handchecking and other contact up close and personal, but I could have possibly died had I not made a beer run in the 2nd quarter, because a Raptor crashed into my seat going for a loose ball while I had stepped away. Which Raptor, you ask? Oliver ####### Miller! ... or it might have been Gary Trent. Memory has faded.
Trent was/is a big guy too, but you'd definitely remember if it was Oliver Miller.

Fontecchio seems like a good guy to keep around if he isn't too expensive. Miles Bridges would be a decent fit as well - the relative obscurity of Pistons basketball would be a good place to avoid the backlash of signing such a pile of **** person. I feel like Monte Morris was a good fit, he was just hurt, so chasing him again or somebody like Tyus Jones makes some sense on a short deal. Luke Kennard would be a nice fit offensively to give Cade some spacing. Buddy Hield also sucks defensively, but he seems in it for the pay day and is one of the most prolific shooters in the NBA.

Outside of potentially Bridges, I think they should look for short term fixes to just provide spacing to Cade, Thompson, Duren, and Ivey to see if any of them are really going to be part of the next great Pistons team. They badly need a real PG to take some of the load off of Cade (Ivey has shown any of that yet).

I could see a rotation of Tyus Jones/Cade/Thompson/Bridges/Duren with a bench of Sasser/Ivey/Grimes/Fonteccio/Stewart at least being competitive enough to evaluate the team.
You should apply for the POBO job. This seems a lot more sensical than what they'll actually wind up doing.

Trent was/is a big guy too, but you'd definitely remember if it was Oliver Miller.
Oh for sure. Still hard to remember since I was not present at the time. I mainly remember the comments from all those nearby after I returned, telling me how lucky I was. If I could go back in time to relive it, I'd probably discover that I was most relieved I didn't lose a beer from the result.

Stolen from Twitter:

Chris Paul finally figured out how to beat the Warriors.
Chef's kiss.

Then there's this Chris Paul quote post game, “I’m grateful that I got a chance to be here with these guys. Me and Steph were already connected. Me and Dray definitely got a real connection now. And somebody I’m grateful that I really got a chance to know is Klay.”

I'm = 2
I = 2
Me = 2
Steph, Dray, Klay = 1 each

😉 😄

You should apply for the POBO job. This seems a lot more sensical than what they'll actually wind up doing.
I think the Pistons are one of the only organizations that you could put an intelligent fan in charge of, assuming no owner interference, and there is a possibility they could do better. The Hornets are the only other one now that the Wizards are attempting some sort of rebuild. Pretty much every other team in the NBA, you can follow the logic of what they are trying to do. The logic may have some bad inputs that are leading to ultimately bad decisions or results, but you can see how they got there.

Jeesh....the guy doesn't even know how to get nosebleed seats and you gotta rub it in like that.

• Laughing
Miles Bridges would be a decent fit as well

Michigan does have a really good prison system.

Kev is a good basketball mind, but this would get us to Atlanta Hawk status.

The Pistons need to find another Chanuncey Billups or Jalen Brunson. Not the position, but the player. Guys no one wants to pay, but they just do things the right way.

I think the Pistons are one of the only organizations that you could put an intelligent fan in charge of, assuming no owner interference, and there is a possibility they could do better. The Hornets are the only other one now that the Wizards are attempting some sort of rebuild. Pretty much every other team in the NBA, you can follow the logic of what they are trying to do. The logic may have some bad inputs that are leading to ultimately bad decisions or results, but you can see how they got there.
The hornets are now set up a lot better after the sale and the new gm hire

Miles Bridges would be a decent fit as well

Michigan does have a really good prison system.
Mayorofkingstown likes this

Does he take bribes?
I know, I was joking.

Vivid Seats is good if you're looking for after market seats. Pretty sure that will be a hot ticket in PHX.

• Thanks

Vivid Seats is good if you're looking for after market seats. Pretty sure that will be a hot ticket in PHX.

I think I'm leaning game 4 as that's an early time and hopefully a less desired game. But, definite thanks for this link. Was going to buy nosebleeds tonight via ticketmaster but will look into this first.

That's a great memory. First row floor seats are still on my bucket list ever since I was a kid. Still refuse to pay them though.

That's a great memory. First row floor seats are still on my bucket list ever since I was a kid. Still refuse to pay them though.
If you can find a way to work for a team, it's a pretty fun experience (many other reasons I wouldn't go back, but many I miss too). The coolest part is BEFORE the games, IMO. The whole afternoon you're just kind of in and out of the arena, guys are going through shooting drills, we're chatting on the sideline, popping up to give a tip or something to a player or a pair who had a question or thought on the gamelan or on a move, balls bouncing everywhere when you get closer to gametime and fans start to come and shootaround begins...and this isn't really the case anymore but there's this incredible feeling when you slip back to the coaches' locker room and change to your suit and come back out ready to lock in. Then it's national anthem time - there are very few things in my life I think have been better than the national anthem, on court, in the line, with the whole team in this kind of meditative focus and ritual that's the same every time.

I think I'm leaning game 4 as that's an early time and hopefully a less desired game. But, definite thanks for this link. Was going to buy nosebleeds tonight via ticketmaster but will look into this first.
Wait until day of. They’ll be cheaper

Sunday games are normally more desirable/expensive but it really depends on the seller. On these reseller sites you can find some decent deals depending your patience but a Sunday playoff game is a big ask.

Kev is a good basketball mind, but this would get us to Atlanta Hawk status.

The Pistons need to find another Chanuncey Billups or Jalen Brunson. Not the position, but the player. Guys no one wants to pay, but they just do things the right way.
It's tough to build culture and teach the young dudes how to be professionals without a guiding light like Miles Bridges.

Who provides less value relative to their salary, Tobias or herro?
Tobias has worse production but he doesn't really negatively impact the Sixers, he's just kind of fine at everything. Herro is going to shoot the Heat into games from time to time while being an impressive defensive liability all the time with decent-ish size and good athleticism.

I'd way rather have Herro on a bad team and slightly rather have Harris on a good team.

Tobias has worse production but he doesn't really negatively impact the Sixers, he's just kind of fine at everything. Herro is going to shoot the Heat into games from time to time while being an impressive defensive liability all the time with decent-ish size and good athleticism.

I'd way rather have Herro on a bad team and slightly rather have Harris on a good team.
I don’t totally agree with that on Tobias because he can derail possessions and bog down the offense, but it’s probably fair to say that he is less actively destructive on either end on average and they do make similar amounts this year

I don’t totally agree with that on Tobias because he can derail possessions and bog down the offense, but it’s probably fair to say that he is less actively destructive on either end on average and they do make similar amounts this year
That's fair. Herro is also giving a masterclass on being an overpaid/overplayed gunner.

the turnovers tonight are pretty comical. Also not sure I have seen a worse game this year for Embiid, as well as Maxxey. if they somehow get lucky they have to be positive thinking those 2 can't be this bad again

ETA: comical isn't the right word. Excruciatingly painful more fitting

Users who are viewing this thread