What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread, Presented by YouTubeTV (47 Viewers)

Saw this on Reddit today about impact of Mavs defense on OKC shooting:

Thunder three point shooting stats:

Regular Season -
"Open Shots" - 10.3 per game on 35.9% shooting
"Wide Open Shots" - 22.5 per game on 40.9% shooting

Round 2
"Open Shots" - 14.6 per game on 24.7% shooting
"Wide Open Shots" - 16.2 per game on 42% shooting.

So they're shooting better on the truly wide open shots they're getting, but they're getting less of them. They're shooting more semi-contested 3s and shooting worse on them. And shooting fewer threes overall.

They could make more of the “open” looks but that’s with a guy within 6 feet of you…some of those open looks Wednesday ended in DJJ blocking the shot on a seven footer still.

MIN-DEN Game 7 tip-time will be determined by tomorrow nights Game 6 between IND-NYK.If Pacers win...IND @ NYK 2:30 PM CT ABCMIN @ DEN 7:00 PM CT TNTIf Knicks win...MIN @ DEN 2:30 PM CT ABC
Hoping for the late game Sunday. I got a tee time that day with Mrs. Woz and she will not let me cancel to watch a basketball game.
everything about this sounds like a way worse punishment than what little woz got
im jealous actually
Right, it was a funny comment by Larry but I actually enjoy playing golf with my wife haha. She's competitive, is good for her handicap, and likes to gamble on the course.

A golf round with her plus watching a Timberwolves win would make for a nice little Sunday.
I apologize for what it might do to little Woz's Wolves fandom but Nuggets and Avs both winning game 7s on Sunday.

Regular Season -

Round 2

So they're shooting better on the truly wide open shots they're getting, but they're getting less of them. They're shooting more semi-contested 3s and shooting worse on them. And shooting fewer threes overall.

They could make more of the “open” looks but that’s with a guy within 6 feet of you…some of those open looks Wednesday ended in DJJ blocking the shot on a seven footer still.
I’m not sure who is responsible for the defense in Dallas, but they seem to do a really good job of communicating and teaching their players to be in specific positions. Two years ago, they were more ball pressure oriented and really wreaked havoc with smaller defenders. Now they have a lot of bigger defenders who always know exactly where to be around the key and make life difficult for the thunder. They just wall off and/or surround the free throw line where shai wants to get to and operate from and prevent so many drives. It’s interesting in that they seem to be less driven by any specific scheme but really good at figuring out how to position players and get them to consistently be where they are supposed to

Regular Season -

Round 2

How many blocks did DJJ have?

Regular Season -

Round 2

Idk, he had at least the one on Chet, maybe 1 or 2 by the rim? I think he's probably at like 1.5-2 per game for the playoffs and in this series? Between him and Lively and PJ and Kyrie and Green...the closeouts are just bothering guys. You can tell. Sometimes I wonder who gets the block when like DJJ and PJ are both on it at the rim too. Long arms and athletes everywhere. Outstanding defense overall.

This thread's favorite flopper Lu Dort is airballing 2-3 a game now after shooting like 40% from three in the regular season I think

Regular Season -

Round 2

Idk, he had at least the one on Chet, maybe 1 or 2 by the rim? I think he's probably at like 1.5-2 per game for the playoffs and in this series? Between him and Lively and PJ and Kyrie and Green...the closeouts are just bothering guys. You can tell. Sometimes I wonder who gets the block when like DJJ and PJ are both on it at the rim too. Long arms and athletes everywhere. Outstanding defense overall.

This thread's favorite flopper Lu Dort is airballing 2-3 a game now after shooting like 40% from three in the regular season I think
DJJ had that one block on Wednesday

Regular Season -

Round 2

Who the hell.ever said they like Dort? Even if they did it is probably just shooting luck.

The officiating has been really weird and inconsistent. Sometimes they’re letting them play and guys are getting hacked all over and other times they’re calling ticky tack stuff (McConnell getting that call was silly with other stuff they’re letting go)

Timeout with 3 and 30 minutes left and Thibs still had all his main guys un except Hart (injured) and they have been down 20ish points the entire second half.

Well, home team has won every game so far with 3 straight blowouts. Pattern would say Knicks big on Sunday. But short turnaround time and Hart seeming questionable could make this pretty tough on the Knicks.

Should be fun.

Haliburton reminds me of more athletic, but worse shooting young Steve Nash. I am not sure if he will ever reach prime Nash, but still really good.

Well there goes that. Game will start at like 2am here
Well, home team has won every game so far with 3 straight blowouts. Pattern would say Knicks big on Sunday. But short turnaround time and Hart seeming questionable could make this pretty tough on the Knicks.

Should be fun.
F the Knicks. Go Pacers.

Should be fun.
F the Knicks. Go Pacers.

Do you think people there will watch it live anyways?

:loco:
No idea. I'm sure they will, just not sure if the bars will stay open late for it. Game is 2am-5am.

Have heard a lot of people talking about it (aka saying his name, which is all I could understand haha). Djokovic seems far more popular here. He's on t-shirts, murals, signs, etc. Surprised he's not on their money haha.

I'll see what the vibe is like at tip off and if it seems wild out, with people watching everywhere, I'll join. Will keep ya posted haha. 930pm start would have been perfect.

Should be fun.
F the Knicks. Go Pacers.

Do you think people there will watch it live anyways?

:loco:
No idea. I'm sure they will, just not sure if the bars will stay open late for it. Game is 2am-5am.

Have heard a lot of people talking about it (aka saying his name, which is all I could understand haha). Djokovic seems far more popular here. He's on t-shirts, murals, signs, etc. Surprised he's not on their money haha.

I'll see what the vibe is like at tip off and if it seems wild out, with people watching everywhere, I'll join. Will keep ya posted haha. 930pm start would have been perfect.

Sundays are generally really quiet across Europe. I think you're going to have to do some work to find a bar open playing the game and if you do, I imagine it will have a bunch of Serbian basketball fanatics which would be fun.

On a related note, looks like I'll be bar watching the Game 7s. Still no electricity for me here in Houston after the Thursday storms. Really hate watching important games in bars but I heard this Twin Peaks place has a nice ambience.

Haliburton reminds me of more athletic, but worse shooting young Steve Nash. I am not sure if he will ever reach prime Nash, but still really good.
I don’t think he’s more athletic.
Or worse shooting

Nash was an elite shooter, Haliburton is average to slightly above. I kind of put their athletic ability and defense together. Nash was one if the worst defenders in the league.
Haliburton has generally been an excellent (maybe not as good as Nash) shooter. But Haliburton is also terrible on defense.

Or worse shooting

Nash was an elite shooter, Haliburton is average to slightly above. I kind of put their athletic ability and defense together. Nash was one if the worst defenders in the league.
Haliburton has generally been an excellent (maybe not as good as Nash) shooter. But Haliburton is also terrible on defense.
Absolutely atrocious on defense. There is definitely an argument that he is as good of a shooter as Nash, mostly because he takes nearly twice as many threes as Nash did. The slightly lower 3P% is probably because of the more difficult shots Haliburton is taking

Or worse shooting

I just see Haliburton as below average. I remember Nash being the worst in the league. All good.

Or worse shooting

Nash’s True Shooting Percentage (TSP) was .605. Haliburton’s is .604.

Tyrese averages more assists per game than Nash did, more rebounds per game, half a block more per game, and less turnovers per game. He averages more points per game. He has a higher PER (20.3 versus 20.0).

Nash’s effective FG percentage (which takes into account 3 pointers being worth more points than 2 pointers) was .556. Haliburton is .572.

Most of the stats seems to indicate that they’re pretty similar shooters/offensive producers.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Or worse shooting

Tyrese averages more assists per game than Nash did, more rebounds per game, half a block more per game, and less turnovers per game. He averages more points per game. He has a higher PER (20.3 versus 20.0).

Nash’s effective FG percentage (which takes into account 3 pointers being worth more points than 2 pointers) was .556. Haliburton is .572.

Most of the stats seems to indicate that they’re pretty similar shooters/offensive st producer

That is what I am saying, but pretty much everyone's career averages go down at the end of their career. We are comparing Haliburton's averages without that back end. So I give the slight edge to Nash.

Or worse shooting

Most of the stats seems to indicate that they’re pretty similar shooters/offensive producers.
We’re also in the basketball equivalent of the steroid era in terms of inflated offensive statistics.

Users who are viewing this thread