What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Lakers blame refs for blowing 20-point lead (13 Viewers)

Rockets just 2 games back of Golden State, but it looks like Golden State has the tie breaker, so I guess they are 3 back? Is this gonna happen @Major ?

The Orlando Magic are really really good.
If Suggs' shooting is real, that really opens up possibilities for them. They need a second starting guard that can shoot (Harris isn't prolific enough, Fultz just isn't that), and with the rest of their defensive personnel, they can sacrifice some defense to get a high end offensive player. They have an extra 1st rounder in 2025 from Denver, a mediocre pick swap in 2026, and 5 extra 2nds with nothing outgoing (other than potential swaps which can only help them).
A lot of Magic Reddit wants Monk from Sacramento next year. Seems to fit the low defense/high offense mold. They’re in really good shape for the future, it’s really exciting.
They should shoot way higher than Malik Monk
I like Monk but had the same thought.

If Suggs' shooting is real, that really opens up possibilities for them. They need a second starting guard that can shoot (Harris isn't prolific enough, Fultz just isn't that), and with the rest of their defensive personnel, they can sacrifice some defense to get a high end offensive player. They have an extra 1st rounder in 2025 from Denver, a mediocre pick swap in 2026, and 5 extra 2nds with nothing outgoing (other than potential swaps which can only help them).
A lot of Magic Reddit wants Monk from Sacramento next year. Seems to fit the low defense/high offense mold. They’re in really good shape for the future, it’s really exciting.
They have the cap room and assets but who do you shake free? Free agency class isn’t very good.

They have the cap room and assets but who do you shake free? Free agency class isn’t very good.
Trae Young.

Trae Young.
Yea that’s the talk of Magic Reddit, but would Atlanta deal him to a division opponent? I guess if they make the best offer they may.

Love Monk but a serious team that significantly outbids the Kings and is relying on him to start won’t love the contract. He’s a high variance player and 30% of the time he just doesn’t have it on either end. Thats no problem when he’s coming off the bench but as a starter that will cost you games.

That said I’d rather pay Monk than trade four firsts for Young or whatever he will cost.

Trae Young.
Yea that’s the talk of Magic Reddit, but would Atlanta deal him to a division opponent? I guess if they make the best offer they may.
Steph Curry would be a great fit :hophead:

As far as possible Trae Young offers go, I don't think anyone can even come close to the Spurs since they already own the Hawks 2025 and 2027 firsts, plus a 2026 swap. Napkin math says that is approximately three 10th overall picks with a about a 15% chance of one landing in the top 5 for SA. But if Atlanta deals Young, those picks probably settle in around top-5ish (and dealing Murray too will make it so) and the tank is on for what is supposed to be a bumper crop of rookies (Cooper Flagg, AJ Dybansta, Cameron Boozer, and so on). The Spurs throw in Keldon Johnson and Zach Collins (pleeeease) to make salaries match, and there's the deal no one can come close too.

The Spurs then throw some free agent dollars at Tobias Harris and the Spurs roll next season and they still have all their own picks, a fake Charlotte 1st (top 14 protected), Raptors #1 (top 6 protected this draft, plus '25 and '26 if it does not convey sooner), a Bull's top 10 protected in '25 (top 8 protected in '26 and '27). They also own 1st round swaps with Boston in '28 and Dallas in '30, and approximately 42 2nd round picks over the same span.

The future is so bright. I gotta get some shades.

Back to Trae Young and Atlanta. The Hawks are on the treadmill of low-grade mediocrity with their current roster and NO picks. Unless they are content collecting rent for the next five years with little prospect of improving (and maybe they are), they will have to make deals. Of course they can try to thread the needle with a soft rebuild and deal Murray, but they are 0 for 1 on that front, so far.

Rockets just 2 games back of Golden State, but it looks like Golden State has the tie breaker, so I guess they are 3 back? Is this gonna happen @Major ?

It could happen. April 4th will be judgement day. This new lineup is causing a lot of matchup problems with Amen cosplaying as a floating big and Jalen playing the best ball of his life. Also love the defensive mindset that Udoka has instilled in this young core. He really is a great coach. If they can find consistent shooting, they'll be a problem for years to come.

As noted above, the Thunder have a tough stretch of schedule coming with a bunch of road games and 2 B2Bs. If they can go 7-6 or better I think they’ll hang on at 2, which is a great spot. Phoenix is the team I’d pick to play in the first round over everyone else, and the Lakers/Mavs they want to avoid. Last game of the season is against the Mavs, hopefully the Thunder are locked in at 2 and if the Mavs need that game to get to 6 they’ll have it. If we could lock-in 7-10 right as they are now that would be great for the Thunder at the 2 seed.

Last edited:
Going to the Celts/Bulls tonight. Hope Tatum plays.

Thinking about taking a trip every year for some basketball. Would love to see Wemby play soon, and Jokic before the horses pull him away.

Going to the Celts/Bulls tonight. Hope Tatum plays.

Thinking about taking a trip every year for some basketball. Would love to see Wemby play soon, and Jokic before the horses pull him away.
Brown, Porzingis, Holiday out. Tatum and Horford questionable.

It could happen. April 4th will be judgement day. This new lineup is causing a lot of matchup problems with Amen cosplaying as a floating big and Jalen playing the best ball of his life. Also love the defensive mindset that Udoka has instilled in this young core. He really is a great coach. If they can find consistent shooting, they'll be a problem for years to come.
Warriors remaining schedule looks pretty rough too, so there’s definitely a chance to catch them.

Love Monk but a serious team that significantly outbids the Kings and is relying on him to start won’t love the contract. He’s a high variance player and 30% of the time he just doesn’t have it on either end. Thats no problem when he’s coming off the bench but as a starter that will cost you games.

That said I’d rather pay Monk than trade four firsts for Young or whatever he will cost.
I’m usually right when I post opinions in this thread but rarely is it so validated on the very same day.

I’m usually right when I post opinions in this thread but rarely is it so validated on the very same day.
He missed fewer shots than alleged best player on the team, De'Aaron Fox.

He missed fewer shots than alleged best player on the team, De'Aaron Fox.
It’s a good thing they have MVP candidate Keon Ellis, that’s for sure.

Wolves have 8 home and 4 away left (although 2 of those away games are Denver). I'm not quie ready to rule them out of the 1 or 2 seed.

Wolves have 8 home and 4 away left (although 2 of those away games are Denver). I'm not quie ready to rule them out of the 1 or 2 seed.
They are something like +1000 to win the division/get the #1 seed.
are there any odds on the 2 seed? I would say that the Thunder have a tougher schedule than the wolves, though they are obviously better when taking health into account
Not sure, but I agree that it is very possible that OKC could see a bit of a slide. Their schedule is brutal.

Jalen Green is having himself a nice March. 28 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, 42% from three. Rockets are 10-1 in March

1.5 back of GS 🤞

While Jalen has been getting the headlines with his amazing play, Amen has been the key to a lot of his success helping space the floor and freeing him up. Good to see Amen get major minutes after being hurt the first half of the season. They're both fun to watch.

Also prayers going out to Ausar. Just hearing he's now out for the season with blood clots which sounds scary for such a young guy. They ended Bosh's career so I hope it's not as serious and that he makes a quick recovery.

Jalen Green is having himself a nice March. 28 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, 42% from three. Rockets are 10-1 in March

1.5 back of GS 🤞

While Jalen has been getting the headlines with his amazing play, Amen has been the key to a lot of his success helping space the floor and freeing him up. Good to see Amen get major minutes after being hurt the first half of the season. They're both fun to watch.
How is Amen spacing the floor? The guy is probably the worst shooter in the league (15% from three)

1.5 back of GS 🤞

How is Amen spacing the floor? The guy is probably the worst shooter in the league (15% from three)
Was wondering the exact same thing, though maybe his ability to attack the rim has a certain gravity to help the spacing

Of the 11 teams in the hunt for the playoff play-in spots in the West, 10 are currently on win streaks (GS the lone exception).

9 of those 11 teams are above .500 in their last 10 (LAC 5-5, GS 4-6).

Gonna be a wild finish to the season.

1.5 back of GS 🤞

Was wondering the exact same thing, though maybe his ability to attack the rim has a certain gravity to help the spacing

I'd argue spacing isn't just about 3s. I'm sure stat geeks will tell me differently but I'm going with my eyes. He's constantly roaming the baseline, cutting and a beast with all the alley hoops and back door plays.

I almost put some money on the wolves to win the one seed but the injuries and Denver’s great play just gave me too much pause.

Selfishly, I want them to play Phoenix so I can go to a game, but I really hope they get Sacramento or New Orleans.

I almost put some money on the wolves to win the one seed but the injuries and Denver’s great play just gave me too much pause.

Selfishly, I want them to play Phoenix so I can go to a game, but I really hope they get Sacramento or New Orleans.
You don't want them playing New Orleans I don't think. Those dudes are playing real well

You don't want them playing New Orleans I don't think. Those dudes are playing real well
They are, but I think Minnesota matches up really well defensively.

I think NO has like the second best point differential since the new year or something crazy like that (edit: currently 4th, 17 behind Minnesota for 2nd). I might argue that they have the third highest ceiling in the league.

Last edited:
Throwing money at Tobias Harris sounds like a bad plan
Maybe it is, but as mentioned there's not much coming down the free agency pike. I'm thinking something along the lines of 2 years at $50M and hopefully Sochan figures it all out in the meantime.
Heard an unbelievable stat about Tobias Harris. In his 6 years with Philly, over 14,000 combined minutes (regular season + playoffs) this dude has not taken one charge in that time. Not one offensive foul. Zero. How is that even possible?

Maybe it is, but as mentioned there's not much coming down the free agency pike. I'm thinking something along the lines of 2 years at $50M and hopefully Sochan figures it all out in the meantime.
Harris kind of sucks, I wouldn't touch him. He'd be a fine player for them, but he doesn't contribute to winning as much as he just doesn't tank winning. They would be way better off just drafting and developing guys or finding some "second draft" guys to take a swing at. I would rather look for somebody like Patrick Williams - he's still a plus athlete, he can hit open jumpers, and at least looks the part. Maybe he hits, but even if he doesn't, he's an eighth man or something at his current level.

Ultimately, they just need a real PG, even if a stop gap for a year or two. Somebody like the elder Jones or Monte Morris.

Heard an unbelievable stat about Tobias Harris. In his 6 years with Philly, over 14,000 combined minutes (regular season + playoffs) this dude has not taken one charge in that time. Not one offensive foul. Zero. How is that even possible?
Just not physical at all. He is ok as a guy to kind of take up space and move a little on D, but other than that, not a lot. And he rarely is able to be an offensive engine even though that should theoretically be what he is good at. He seems like a really good guy and has worked on his individual game a lot over his career but just doesn’t really help a good team win very much

I think NO has like the second best point differential since the new year or something crazy like that (edit: currently 4th, 17 behind Minnesota for 2nd). I might argue that they have the third highest ceiling in the league.
I think that would be dangerous because they have a lot of guys to throw at you but I think that their point differential has a lot to do with their depth and their high end talent won’t be able to carry them so well in the playoffs when that matters a lot more. Still not enough spacing and I think teams can do ok against their offense when they can lock in.

They are, but I think Minnesota matches up really well defensively.
Zion torches us every time we play them. I'm terrified of the Pelicans.

:coffee: Love to see the Pelicans talk. Scared me when B.I. went down the other night. It looked bad, but so far, sounding like he'll just be out a couple weeks. But even without him, we are a handful. I am here for it. We can win a first round series easily. When we are on, we can play with anybody in the league. Lack of playoff experience will probably cost us, but you have to get there to gain experience, so we are trending in the right direction.

Zion is playing like a man possessed. And has greatly improved his defense.

Zion Williamson averages 18.6 points in the paint for his career, the most in the NBA in the last 25 years. The Pelicans star has attempted 95.2% of his shots in the paint.

:coffee: Love to see the Pelicans talk. Scared me when B.I. went down the other night. It looked bad, but so far, sounding like he'll just be out a couple weeks. But even without him, we are a handful. I am here for it. We can win a first round series easily. When we are on, we can play with anybody in the league. Lack of playoff experience will probably cost us, but you have to get there to gain experience, so we are trending in the right direction.

Zion Williamson averages 18.6 points in the paint for his career, the most in the NBA in the last 25 years. The Pelicans star has attempted 95.2% of his shots in the paint.
I think Ingram may be the biggest Ewing Theory player in the NBA. I don't think they'll miss him even a bit.

I'm glad Zion is taking the game seriously again, staying healthy and performing up to his potential. Pre Draft he seemed like the surest thing since Lebron so it was tough to watch him half *** it.

I think that would be dangerous because they have a lot of guys to throw at you but I think that their point differential has a lot to do with their depth and their high end talent won’t be able to carry them so well in the playoffs when that matters a lot more. Still not enough spacing and I think teams can do ok against their offense when they can lock in.
I don’t know about a lack of high end talent; Zion has the potential to be the best player on the court in a series with the Wolves.

Per Woj: Kerr and Draymond had to be separated at a Warriors practice after getting into a fight where Green started choking Kerr.

Things seem to be going well for GS.

Wow. Green bringing back memories of Spree going off on Carlesimo. Hope the chaos continues. Rockets now only a game back.

Per Woj: Kerr and Draymond had to be separated at a Warriors practice after getting into a fight where Green started choking Kerr.

Things seem to be going well for GS.

I am starting to think Myers left because of Green and the aging Warriors. I think he wanted to let Green walk, trade Klay and maybe Wiggins. Have a little reset and be ready for 2025 and was over ruled. Looks like he was correct.

Users who are viewing this thread