What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Lakers blame refs for blowing 20-point lead (18 Viewers)

I know a lot of you haven't been able to watch Amen or don't care to watch Houston but this video gives you a glimpse as to why I love the kid. If he finds some semblance of an outside shot he'll be unstoppable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_rO_gF8zlo

So he is Ben Simmons?

I can only hope. A young Ben Simmons without the mental/back issues would be an asset to any team. I think he's much more explosive though and can handle himself in the paint like a guard version of Zion. Future is bright for the young lad.

Record and Net Rating since the All-Star break:

BOS 14-2 +18.4
DEN 14-2 +9.8
OKC 12-4 +8.2
MIL 11-4 +5.8
NOP 11-5 +9.6
HOU 11-5 +5.0
SAC 10-6 +4.7
DAL 9-6 +2.3
NYK 9-6 +2.3
LAL 9-6 +0.7
IND 9-7 +4.7
MIA 9-7 +2.6
PHO 9-7 +2,1
GSW 9-8 +1.4
CHI 8-8 -4.0
LAC 8-9 -1.8
ATL 7-8 +2.2
PHI 7-10 -4.6
CLE 7-11 -4.6
BRK 5-12 -4.4
SAS 4-12 -3.9
POR 4-13 -5.9
DET 4-13 -8.1
WAS 4-13 -12.4
UTA 3-12 -9.5

I know a lot of you haven't been able to watch Amen or don't care to watch Houston but this video gives you a glimpse as to why I love the kid. If he finds some semblance of an outside shot he'll be unstoppable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_rO_gF8zlo

So he is Ben Simmons?
Thompson has already attempted 17 more 3's than Simmons has in his entire career, so he is willing to shoot a few more at least.

His 15.1% is just a hair better than Simmons from 3, but Thompson's FT% is actually at 66.1%....so a slightly better shooting version of Ben Simmons but not as good on defense.

So he is Ben Simmons?
Thompson has already attempted 17 more 3's than Simmons has in his entire career, so he is willing to shoot a few more at least.

His 15.1% is just a hair better than Simmons from 3, but Thompson's FT% is actually at 66.1%....so a slightly better shooting version of Ben Simmons but not as good on defense.

It was just a joke.

So he is Ben Simmons?

It was just a joke.

Udoka actually compares Simmons to Amen in the video so I thought that's what you were referring to.

Well, we’ve got a betting scandal in the NBA - some betting irregularities around Raps Jontay Porter reported by Woj (hopefully the real one this time).

The espn article lays out some juicy details on a couple specific games where there were some large prop under bets for Porter and he left the games early due to mysterious illnesses/injuries.

BOS 14-2 +18.4
DEN 14-2 +9.8
OKC 12-4 +8.2
MIL 11-4 +5.8
NOP 11-5 +9.6
HOU 11-5 +5.0
SAC 10-6 +4.7
DAL 9-6 +2.3
NYK 9-6 +2.3
LAL 9-6 +0.7
IND 9-7 +4.7
MIA 9-7 +2.6
PHO 9-7 +2,1
GSW 9-8 +1.4
CHI 8-8 -4.0
LAC 8-9 -1.8
ATL 7-8 +2.2
PHI 7-10 -4.6
CLE 7-11 -4.6
BRK 5-12 -4.4
SAS 4-12 -3.9
POR 4-13 -5.9
DET 4-13 -8.1
WAS 4-13 -12.4
UTA 3-12 -9.5
You forgot the Wolves.

BOS 14-2 +18.4
DEN 14-2 +9.8
OKC 12-4 +8.2
MIL 11-4 +5.8
NOP 11-5 +9.6
HOU 11-5 +5.0
SAC 10-6 +4.7
DAL 9-6 +2.3
NYK 9-6 +2.3
LAL 9-6 +0.7
IND 9-7 +4.7
MIA 9-7 +2.6
PHO 9-7 +2,1
GSW 9-8 +1.4
CHI 8-8 -4.0
LAC 8-9 -1.8
ATL 7-8 +2.2
PHI 7-10 -4.6
CLE 7-11 -4.6
BRK 5-12 -4.4
SAS 4-12 -3.9
POR 4-13 -5.9
DET 4-13 -8.1
WAS 4-13 -12.4
UTA 3-12 -9.5
You forgot the Wolves.
Hmmm. I didn’t forget them . . . they weren’t on the list.

MIN 10-6 +4.6

divincenzo has 10 3s tonite, tying nyk game record. 2.30 left in the 3rd. his contract seems a bargain now.

edit, they took a 3 away, out of bounds….
How long after the fact? I kind of hate the review it so much later thing. It messes with the game and how guys play.

“Boy, Jayson Tatum complains a lot. Who does he think he is,Caitlin Clark?”
-Atlanta hawks broadcaster

Caitlin might be getting bounced out, speaking of

divincenzo has 10 3s tonite, tying nyk game record. 2.30 left in the 3rd. his contract seems a bargain now.

edit, they took a 3 away, out of bounds….
How long after the fact? I kind of hate the review it so much later thing. It messes with the game and how guys play.
so, he is back to 10 with 3 to play. they went to a tv timeout and when they came back they announced they reviewed the shot and he was out of bounds. the views i saw were 50/50 that his back heel hit the floor. i’d hate if that call prevents him from getting 11.

Short-handed Celtics blow 30 point lead against ATL.
I just caught that.

Looks like they shot a crap-ton of 3s at like 28%. Seems like a dumb thing to do with a 30 pt lead.
IIRC, Hawks made a dozen threes in the second half. Celts let up and couldn’t turn the switch back on. No Holiday or White and Hauser and Pritchard went ice cold shooting. Boston doesn’t have a ton to play for, so hard to stay motivated and focused.

I just caught that.

Looks like they shot a crap-ton of 3s at like 28%. Seems like a dumb thing to do with a 30 pt lead.
IIRC, Hawks made a dozen threes in the second half. Celts let up and couldn’t turn the switch back on. No Holiday or White and Hauser and Pritchard went ice cold shooting. Boston doesn’t have a ton to play for, so hard to stay motivated and focused.
It's just a recurring theme in several of their losses this season. Have a big lead, start gunning 3s and get lazy on defense and the boards. 3s stop falling and the other team claws back into it. Celtics then can't get back going and so Tatum and Brown try to iso their way to a win with step back jumpers, which doesn't work and they lose a close game.

I didn't even seen the game, but I'm 100% certain that's how it went in some form or fashion.

With all that talent you'd think the Suns would have figured it out by now. That Beal move never made sense and still doesn't. They instill zero confidence in me this post season - lack of depth, defense and leadership. Not even Bol Bol can save them.

I just caught that.

It's just a recurring theme in several of their losses this season. Have a big lead, start gunning 3s and get lazy on defense and the boards. 3s stop falling and the other team claws back into it. Celtics then can't get back going and so Tatum and Brown try to iso their way to a win with step back jumpers, which doesn't work and they lose a close game.

I didn't even seen the game, but I'm 100% certain that's how it went in some form or fashion.
I mostly blame my wife. I had the game on, and when they got up 30 she convinced me to watch something else. When I checked back later, they were losing.

From what I saw, they didn’t go crazy chucking up threes, but they couldn’t make them. One of 15 in the second half. ATL shot close to 60% from distance in the second half.

One issue was JT played the roll of point guard and facilitator with White and Holiday out. Pritchard had an off night, and the Hawks started putting pressure on Tatum, and they started turning the ball over. He even had a violation for not crossing half court in time when no one was even guarding him. He just walked the ball up
the court and didn’t make it in time.

Obviously a team up 30 should win every time, but they phoned it in in the third quarter. The rest of the regular season doesn’t matter much, and they won’t be resting guys. They will likely win by 40 the next time they get in this situation, but this certainly was not a good look.

I just caught that.

:shrug: Teams are going to lose some weird games. Even the great ones.

Blown leads this season:

BOS: 14
DEN: 18
OKC: 18
MIL: 19
MIN: 22

Blown 4th quarter leads this season:

BOS: 8
DEN: 9
MIL: 9
OKC: 6
MIN: 13

I just caught that.

Blown leads this season:

I know, but I demand excellence. Anything short of the pursuit of perfection needs to be worked on.

In Brad we trust.

I just caught that.

Blown leads this season:

Curious how many of those teams blew 30 point leads? 🤔

I just caught that.

Blown leads this season:

I think the Warriors did the year they went to the finals or won the finals to the Clippers.

Brooklyn is the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks Nets :thumbup:

In a segment on FanDuel TV Monday, Shams Charania reported that the Houston Rockets offered the Brooklyn Nets Jalen Green and a number of the remaining draft assets from the James Harden trade for Mikal Bridges, but that the Nets turned down the offer.

Brooklyn is the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks Nets :thumbup:

In a segment on FanDuel TV Monday, Shams Charania reported that the Houston Rockets offered the Brooklyn Nets Jalen Green and a number of the remaining draft assets from the James Harden trade for Mikal Bridges, but that the Nets turned down the offer.
Hollinger's latest article in the athletic said the Nets turned down multiple "huge" and "overwhelming" offers for Bridges. I'm not sure the Nets have a plan right now.

I just caught that.

Blown leads this season:

:shrug:

Does it really matter if it was 30, or 25, or even 20? A loss is a loss and **** happens

I just caught that.

Blown leads this season:

Does it really matter if it was 30, or 25, or even 20? A loss is a loss and **** happens

I think blowing huge leads like that matters. Says something about the team and their mental makeup. If it was just a one off that's fine but they recently fumbled a huge lead v. CLE as well. That type of inconsistency could come to haunt them in the playoffs.

Per Woj: Kerr and Draymond had to be separated at a Warriors practice after getting into a fight where Green started choking Kerr.

Things seem to be going well for GS.
Seems like that's a fake woj account
yea WTF yo mama
If I can’t trust some random Lakers Twitter guy reposting a scam woj account, who can I trust?
Choices are amazing, aren’t they?

One minute you’re making all the right ones and everyone loves you.

Then you make a bad one.

I just caught that.

Blown leads this season:

I think blowing huge leads like that matters. Says something about the team and their mental makeup. If it was just a one off that's fine but they recently fumbled a huge lead v. CLE as well. That type of inconsistency could come to haunt them in the playoffs.
It’s a long season…

I think blowing huge leads like that matters. Says something about the team and their mental makeup.

I just caught that.

Blown leads this season:

After the Cleveland loss they lost a tight one in Denver then went on a 9 game winning streak. I will take a bad loss if it means a team goes on a stretch like that.

Listen, blowing a 30 point lead is not good. But when a team is as good as Boston, and they have the # seed locked up with 3 weeks to go, I think some letdown is bound to happen

Users who are viewing this thread