What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Lakers blame refs for blowing 20-point lead (45 Viewers)

Bill Simmons spending a podcast segment trying to figure out why the best nba players in history are from the south was certainly a choice.

Kobe as an Italian-Philly hybrid got wayyyyy too much airtime
Simmon's wasn't wrong though. Kobe probably doesn't become the player he became if he's raised in the United States his entire childhood.

The larger picture is how poor the US is at producing top NBA players. Considering how much bball talent and resources the US pours into the sport ...why aren't there many, many more US born NBA superstars?

We all know the answers to that question. We've been talking about it for decades while doing nothing (or making it worse). It's one sport specialization from a young age, it's the extreme attention good players garner too early, it's moving around to get touches and be on a better team, and it's AAU ball in general.

Is playing 6-8 games in a weekend "tournament" (where the results matter less than the highlights and attention a player can generate) going to make for great players? If it did, US born players would occupy 95% of NBA roster spots. Instead, we are where we are.

Maybe the path right now is messed up. Maybe it is too hard to play this much. We've got NBA stars that complain about 65 games in a year.

One thing I'm sure of is that nobody could ever out-work Kobe. One of the greatest performers of all time. A constant example of will and perseverance.

Nobody is going to care about Bill Simmons in a couple of decades. Let's spend out time thinking about the real greats.
I listen to pretty much all of Simmons' podcasts

He so often gets hung up on something that he thinks he's the only one who knows it.

That was the typical example dumbness of Simmons about the Kobe origin story

As I recall, Russillo just kept laughing

Last edited:
Some huge games in the West on Friday:

Suns at Thunder
Wolves at Nuggets
Mavs at Kings

Also, it’s crazy how much deeper the West is this year compared to last. At their current winning %, the Lakers would have finished 4th in the West last year. This year they’re firmly lodged in the 9th spot.

Also, it’s crazy how much deeper the West is this year compared to last. At their current winning %, the Lakers would have finished 4th in the West last year. This year they’re firmly lodged in the 9th spot.
Not really sure what records really mean and if they are a universal barometer for how strong teams really are. If there are more teams with better records, that mean there are more teams with worse records. Yes, the Lakers with the same record would have finished 4th last year, but there are 9 teams in the league with fewer than 30 wins . . . last year there were 4. I would actually suggest the opposite . . . that the league is less deep this year, as almost a third of the league isn't all that competitive . . . driving win totals for the top two-thirds of the league up. Last season, there were 16 teams .500 or better . . . this year, there are 19. IMO, there were more competitive teams last season (even if some of them had fewer wins last year compared to this year).

Wolves are now 2 wins away from teh 2nd most-winning season in team history. If they finish out 8-2, which is unlikely based on the schedule, they will hit the best team record ever.

So forgive us if we are over excited.
They’re doing so well that Glen Taylor decided to not sell the team after all.

Congrats?

Getting back to the standings / win totals, last year, the difference from #1 to #10 in the West was 13 games with one other team in the mix (DAL . . . who didn't really try to even make the play-in). This season, the difference is 12.5 games with 1 other team in the mix (HOU). Last year, there were 7 teams separated by 5 games. This time around, there are 7 teams separated by 7 games. There's still 10 or so games to play, but the landscape is pretty similar as last year. There are a lot of teams that could move up or move down several spots in the next few weeks.

Getting back to the standings / win totals, last year, the difference from #1 to #10 in the West was 13 games with one other team in the mix (DAL . . . who didn't really try to even make the play-in). This season, the difference is 12.5 games with 1 other team in the mix (HOU). Last year, there were 7 teams separated by 5 games. This time around, there are 7 teams separated by 7 games. There's still 10 or so games to play, but the landscape is pretty similar as last year. There are a lot of teams that could move up or move down several spots in the next few weeks.
Counter point - more teams with better records = deeper (IMO).

Boom - roasted.

Counter point - more teams with better records = deeper (IMO).

Boom - roasted.
I don't really care all that much one way or the other, but here's a counterpoint to your counterpoint. Sure, the West has teams with inflated records this year, but . . . there are only 4 teams in the West with winning records against teams .500 or better (DEN, MIN, OKC, and NO) and 3 teams in the East (BOS, MIL, and IND). Last season, there were 3 teams in the West (DEN, MEM, and MIN) and 3 teams in the East (BOS, MIL, and PHI).

Good teams will beat up on the bad teams. There are 12 teams in the West this season with single digit losses to teams with losing records. Last year, there were only 3. If people want to categorize that as the West being deeper, so be it. Come the postseason, all those easy wins will go out the window.

Records vs. teams .500 or better:

DEN 27-21
MIN 29-17
OKC 28-17
LAC 23-23
NOP 24-21
DAL 20-25
PHO 22-22
SAC 24-25
LAC 24-26
GSW 19-29
HOU 18-27
UTA 13-36
MEM 14-36
POR 8-42
SAS 9-41

Wolves are now 2 wins away from teh 2nd most-winning season in team history. If they finish out 8-2, which is unlikely based on the schedule, they will hit the best team record ever.

Well, Glen Taylor is still the owner of the team. So, there's that. Sorry Frosty, Timberwolves fans just can't have nice things.

Looking at the playoff standings, here are some random thoughts:
  • The Celtics have sewn up the East's #1 seed already, but the Nuggets (1st in West) aren't even guaranteed to avoid the play-in yet.
  • As a C's fan, I really want the Heat to land at #6 so we don't have a risk of them falling to the #8 by the play-in (I think that is what happened to them last year). A Heat first round series would just annoy me more than anything. Getting the 1 seed shouldn't mean facing one of the more difficult opponents.
  • Bucks and Heat are the only teams I think Boston could struggle against in the East, but they should make it to the Finals regardless if healthy.
  • I think Houston finishes well and the Warriors fall out of the play-in. They just seem beat down and lost at this point. Even thought I respect Curry, that makes me smile a bit knowing Draymond could be out of the playoffs entirely.
  • I think any one of DEN, MIN, OKC, LAC or DAL could win the West. Not a believer in NOP to make it that far, but could see them winning a 1st round series.
  • PHX, LAL and SAC shouldn't scare anyone right now as none of them are playing consistently good basketball and they've all tried to "throw the switch" already.
  • I do enjoy March Madness for what it is, but I prefer the NBA playoffs. Watching lesser athletes with inferior game plans just isn't as fun to me as the most skilled players in the world playing at their best over a 7 game coaching chess match.

Congrats?
Holy **** this is real. I thought you were just jabbing frosty. My god, this dude sucks. Now that Sarver is gone, he is probably the worst owner in the league.

I think Houston finishes well and the Warriors fall out of the play-in. They just seem beat down and lost at this point. Even thought I respect Curry, that makes me smile a bit knowing Draymond could be out of the playoffs entirely.
This one will get interesting. The Rockets have been playing well but just had a bunch of easy games (SAS x2, POR x2, WAS x2, UTA, CHI). Things get tougher the rest of the way (H: DAL, GS, MIA, ORL and A: UTA, MIN, DAL, UTA, POR, LAC). IMO, three easier games and 7 harder games.

The Warriors face H: DAL, UTA, NOP, UTA and A: CHA, SAS, HOU, DAL, LAL, POR. IMO, five easier games and 5 harder games. Golden State already won the season series against the Rockets, they are a game up currently and hold the tiebreaker. The outcome will be decided on the court, but Basketball Reference gives GS a 85.9% chance of making at least the play-in and the Rockets only a 20.5% chance. If the Rockets don't beat the Warriors next week, their chances will drop a fair amount.

I think Houston finishes well and the Warriors fall out of the play-in. They just seem beat down and lost at this point. Even thought I respect Curry, that makes me smile a bit knowing Draymond could be out of the playoffs entirely.
This one will get interesting. The Rockets have been playing well but just had a bunch of easy games (SAS x2, POR x2, WAS x2, UTA, CHI). Things get tougher the rest of the way (H: DAL, GS, MIA, ORL and A: UTA, MIN, DAL, UTA, POR, LAC). IMO, three easier games and 7 harder games.

The Warriors face H: DAL, UTA, NOP, UTA and A: CHA, SAS, HOU, DAL, LAL, POR. IMO, five easier games and 5 harder games. Golden State already won the season series against the Rockets, they are a game up currently and hold the tiebreaker. The outcome will be decided on the court, but Basketball Reference gives GS a 85.9% chance of making at least the play-in and the Rockets only a 20.5% chance. If the Rockets don't beat the Warriors next week, their chances will drop a fair amount.

Great on point analysis. Not only is the schedule getting tougher but the Rockets are a horrific away team. Going to be a big ask for a young squad. It's a shame Capela's sorry *** Magic couldn't lend a hand last night. I've been rooting for you guys all season and this is how you treat me :kicksrock:

Looking at the playoff standings, here are some random thoughts:
  • PHX, LAL and SAC shouldn't scare anyone right now as none of them are playing consistently good basketball and they've all tried to "throw the switch" already.
Matchups will be huge in the West. As a Lakers fan, obviously I’d hate if they had to play Denver in a series early. The other team they can’t seem to do anything with is the Kings. I’d feel pretty good (not great) against any other potential matchup.

Congrats?
Holy **** this is real. I thought you were just jabbing frosty. My god, this dude sucks. Now that Sarver is gone, he is probably the worst owner in the league.
James Dolan is still alive.

Congrats?
That is fair, but it seems like he has least stepped back and let Rose do his thing while simply busying himself with petty lawsuits and the Sphere, so he is far less actively damaging. I agree he is a sleeping giant in this category though.

Congrats?
That is fair, but it seems like he has least stepped back and let Rose do his thing while simply busying himself with petty lawsuits and the Sphere, so he is far less actively damaging. I agree he is a sleeping giant in this category though.
It is sad how cool the Sphere is knowing it came from Dolan.

Wonder if those Celtics homer announcers realized the Murray took 44 shots to get his 44 points tonight in Atlanta.....

Last edited:
Huge win for Dallas to take back to back ones at Sac. Did not bring an A game, maybe not even a B game, and still pulled it out.

Says a lot about teamwork and trust that at like 103-103 Exum missed a three, missed a three, missed a layup, and still got it back a 4th time to drill what would prove to be the game winner.

Rockets win streak up to 11.

Greens been unstoppable on offense. Amen's gonna be in conversation as top player in the game very soon IMO. Then all they have left on roster are already borderline All Star Senguin, Smith, draft steal Whitmore, and a bunch of picks.

Just stupid

Greens been unstoppable on offense. Amen's gonna be in conversation as top player in the game very soon IMO. Then all they have left on roster are already borderline All Star Senguin, Smith, draft steal Whitmore, and a bunch of picks.

Just stupid
And just think if Amen we're actually playing in position he'd be putting up triple doubles now Already one of the best on ball defenders in the league. Agree he's a consistent deep shot away from being a superstar. Can be an All Star even without one.

Agree the Rockets are looking in great shape in future

Just stupid

Don't forget about Tari Eason, the ultimate glue guy. Really looking forward to having him back next year....Their biggest challenge is finding a way for Green and Sengun to coexist and flourish together. In Udoka, I trust.

Just stupid

Don't forget about Tari Eason, the ultimate glue guy. Really looking forward to having him back next year....Their biggest challenge is finding a way for Green and Sengun to coexist and flourish together. In Udoka, I trust.

But not around your wife!

Users who are viewing this thread