What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (5 Viewers)

I agree that I'd be OK if the Jets want to take on Rodgers; contract - they have the money. Not a fan of giving up 1st round picks though in case the trade goes south, which I can certainly see happening. Just concerned that it might not just be this year that can hamstring them if Rodgers falls off that proverbial cliff next year.

Not a Jets fan, but I think that given their defense, skill-position weapons and history, it's probably not a bad idea to do an all-in trade like this. What they can't do is repeat the Broncos' mistake of going so all-in that they hamstring their franchise for years to come. But I have a feeling that, just as the Brady/Stafford situations inflated the market for Russ, his debacle will in turn bring the price down for a potential Rodgers deal

I have faith that JD will not sell the farm for Arod - however the success of last years draft definitely softens the blow a bit on whatever he does wind up sending if they make a deal. I see 7 potential starters from last years draft when a good draft usually yields 2-3 tops. Its almost a reverse rookie QB deal - the window before paying this draft class is 3 yrs so now is definitely the time to make a move.

I have faith that JD will not sell the farm for Arod - however the success of last years draft definitely softens the blow a bit on whatever he does wind up sending if they make a deal. I see 7 potential starters from last years draft when a good draft usually yields 2-3 tops. Its almost a reverse rookie QB deal - the window before paying this draft class is 3 yrs so now is definitely the time to make a move.

Agreed.

Have to keep in mind that since Hall was a 2nd rounder, they don't get that 5th year of control. So if he becomes what we all hope he's gonna become (and recovers properly from his injury) they may have to make a decision on him earlier.

With him being a RB, the contract is obviously tricky. Obviously the franchise tag will be an option.

Will be interesting to see how they address Sauce and Wilson being on the same timeline a couple of years down the road. Good problem to have, but it will have to be negotiated skillfully.

Hackett to the Jets. Now MLF to the Rams. let the good times roll
Its a good spot for MLF - he gets the OC title but we all know hes not calling the plays. It gives him a few years to learn - he'll probably be much more ready to be on his own after a season or 2.

As for the rookies - all have at least 3 more seasons under rookie contracts...the 1st rders a yr more but will be looking for extensions after yr 4 so realistically it si a 2-3 yr window of cost control with this group which would match up well with an Arod run

So does Zach follow MLF?

(Sorry too easy - though I guess the Rams could use a QB of the future behind Stafford - but everything I've read here says that is not a reunion likely to ever occur).

-QG

Re; Rodgers.....

For the team acquiring Rodgers they would be on the hook for the salary for the year. The cap charge would be $59,515,000 if they do not exercise his option and $15.79 million if they were to exercise the option. Rodgers has an injury guarantee of $49.25 million for 2024 but that does not become fully guaranteed until 5 days after the 2023 Super Bowl. If Rodgers was cut after 2023 it would cost the team $43.725 million on the 2024 cap. If he retired they could split that as $14.575 million in 2024 and $29.15 million in 2025 using a similar June 2nd date as mentioned above in the retirement option.

Apparently "the option" is to pay out his salary as a 58M+ "bonus", which would make his cap # just $16M for 2023 (obviously VERY good). That retirement scenario would be a tough pill to swallow, but I guess you cross that bridge if you get to it.

From an ownership standpoint, this is truly a "put your money where you mouth is" situation. The money he is owed is obscene. Will Woody agree to pay out the bonus option? And if he does, how much do you have to give up to get him? Plenty of articles claiming 2 first rounders is the starting point. For a 39 year old taking up that much of the cap, that's tough. He can still play. I'm sure the thumb hindered him a lot this year. And with that relatively small cap charge (assuming I'm understanding it properly) you can still improve the team around him. The O-line would obviously be the biggest key.

This is a hard one. Is 39 year old Rodgers REALLY enough to get this team to the mountain top? Hard to say. I'm also not crazy about having to root for the guy personally, but if it meant a super bowl appearance, I'd obviously suck it up.
I see Rodgers making the Jets on par with the Chargers -- a playoff team. That's about it. Could the Rodgers-led Jets beat Cincinnati or Kansas City? Could they beat Buffalo? He's an upgrade, but not much of one. You don't need to find a Brock Purdy. You could get Garoppolo cheaper and end up the same. Maybe even Tannehill. Just somebody who doesn't cost you games.
If you dont think Aaron Rodgers is not much of an upgrade on what the Jets have been rolling out at QB the past 5 years I dont know what to tell you It would be a massive upgrade.
Upgrade? Sure. They'd be a playoff team. Massive upgrade, as in could hang with the best on the conference consistently? Not really. That much money for a one-year rental requires more than a "good" season imo. I just think you could get someone younger and cheaper and do about as well.

I see Rodgers making the Jets on par with the Chargers -- a playoff team. That's about it. Could the Rodgers-led Jets beat Cincinnati or Kansas City? Could they beat Buffalo? He's an upgrade, but not much of one. You don't need to find a Brock Purdy. You could get Garoppolo cheaper and end up the same. Maybe even Tannehill. Just somebody who doesn't cost you games.
So Derek Carr can beat those teams in the playoffs (which you said) but Aaron Rodgers can't?
I don't have a lot of faith in Rodgers at 39. He used to at least be really careful with the ball, and now he's more likely to turn it over than before. If you can get a cheaper player for more years and a real future with the team, I'd say that's a better deal than Aaron's last stand. I don't think there's a "this guy put the Jets in the Super Bowl" player, so why not get a good one who can grow with the team over the next few years? That's not Rodgers imo.

Massive upgrade, as in could hang with the best on the conference consistently?

The Jets beat the Bills and then lost to them by eight with Zach Wilson and Mike White as QBs.

The Jets could easily hang with the best in the conference with Aaron Rodgers if Aaron Rodgers isn't washed. That's the sticking point I see. The draft picks, the cap hit, and is he washed.

If those two things are fixed, and he's not washed up, they can hang with anybody. Easily.

So Derek Carr can beat those teams in the playoffs (which you said) but Aaron Rodgers can't?
I don't have a lot of faith in Rodgers at 39. He used to at least be really careful with the ball, and now he's more likely to turn it over than before. If you can get a cheaper player for more years and a real future with the team, I'd say that's a better deal than Aaron's last stand. I don't think there's a "this guy put the Jets in the Super Bowl" player, so why not get a good one who can grow with the team over the next few years? That's not Rodgers imo.

Carr will be 32 and has had a mediocre career. Carr likely isn't a starting level QB, by age 35/36. Only the elite QBs have played well beyond that age. So you basically get 2-3 years of either QB anyway, so not sure the age difference matters much.

I still don’t see why Derrek Carr can beat Kansas City, Buffalo or Cinncy in the playoffs but Aaron Rodgers could not.

Last edited:

Carr will be 32 and has had a mediocre career. Carr likely isn't a starting level QB, by age 35/36. Only the elite QBs have played well beyond that age. So you basically get 2-3 years of either QB anyway, so not sure the age difference matters much.

But, you failed to address the main point. You said Derrek Carr can beat Kansas City, Buffalo or Cinncy in the playoffs but Aaron Rodgers could not.
Carr doesn't get enough credit for his work IMO. He's coming off the worst year of his career, but otherwise he's been an above average to good starting QB. His career rating is 91.1. For some context, Ben's career rating is 93.5. Carr will be much less expensive to obtain than Rodgers, and even with Rodgers, I don't think that makes the Jet's a Super Bowl contender. I doubt they would even be favorites to win the division over BUF.

They've improved a lot and it's been great watching it happen, but I would prefer a more reasonably priced QB than a 39 year old Rodgers. Carr can give them solid starting QB play, better leadership than Rodgers, and help develop the supporting cast and Wilson or another young QB, which is also something that Rodgers has never been interested in. I don't think any vet is going to be a long term starter but helping set professional tone with vet leadership for the next couple of years can help the overall team. That gives them a couple of good years for them to also develop a young QB, whether it's Wilson or another pick.

, but I would prefer a more reasonably priced QB
We don’t know what the cost of either QB will be - and they’re paid about the same.

Don’t get me wrong, Carr would be the best QB the Jets have had in a long time, but he’s a league average guy who isn’t all that young.

I’d rather take my chances with Rodgers.

My Giants fan friends are going ballistic over this. I can understand their frustration, but as a bitter Jets fan, I kind of like it.

it's really a non-story but a strange decision...did they ever light up Patriot colors?
Not sure, but they did light up red for the Chiefs last night as well. Doesn't fit the narrative for Giants fans though.

The only thing you need in order to get the Empire State building to show whatever colors you want is money. It has nothing to do with being in the NY area. Sometimes they'll do it for free to celebrate something local, but anyone who isn't going to be offensive about it can buy the colors for a night.

Last edited:
Interesting chat on WFAN the other day - imagine this scenario or something close to it -

A-Rod decides to go to Raiders; Jimmy G the Bucs; Carr goes to Carolina; D Jones and Lam stay pat - where does that leave the Jets? The other concern Im reading is Arod and GB may want to wait until 6/1 to make a decision/move. Do the Jets roll the dice and wait? I cant imagine a scenario where they whiff on all the top QBs available but its possible. This is going to be a long offseason....at least the 1st domino should fall soon with Carr.

Interesting chat on WFAN the other day - imagine this scenario or something close to it -

A-Rod decides to go to Raiders; Jimmy G the Bucs; Carr goes to Carolina; D Jones and Lam stay pat - where does that leave the Jets? The other concern Im reading is Arod and GB may want to wait until 6/1 to make a decision/move. Do the Jets roll the dice and wait? I cant imagine a scenario where they whiff on all the top QBs available but its possible. This is going to be a long offseason....at least the 1st domino should fall soon with Carr.
In that case I would give Minshew a chance as the short term starter, draft a QB, and have Wilson as the #3. Minshew should at least be a good bridge QB and adding a rookie to compete with them and to develop is a good idea even if they get Carr.

Well we can all agree this sounds like sports radio talk, NY Jets style. :-)

Rodger's formal trade could go through post June 1, but GB is essentially holding on to Rodgers in 2023 if there is not a handshake deal before the draft. No trade partner will gamble by waiting that long from both a team building and cashflow perspective.
A-Rod might choose the Raiders, but lets face it, it wont be because he wants the best chance to win. In the end, I imagine it will come down to matching whatever the Raiders could offer to GB, and Rodgers willingness to play for either the Jets or Raiders.

The Bucs are in pretty rough shape cap wise, I wonder if they are willing make another run in 2023 with a $22+million/year QB, I think they are rebuilding. My guess is they won't outbid the Jets for Jimmy G.

Carr to Carolina seems like a good fit to me. We will see where he wants to go, particularly if he gets cut.

Like coaching selections, there is a pecking order for all these decisions/landing spots. Rodgers and Carr will be the first dominoes to fall. I think all the big $ QB moves will be made in the 6 weeks following the super bowl.

Minshew is a fallback option, I think I might prefer Mike White. Minshew and White are 2 QBs (also Brissett) who will be signed after the big $ QBs.

I assume a Rodgers deal could be announced as post-June 1 for cap purposes, though perhaps the league treats it differently than cuts that are done that way.

What about Jacoby Brisket as a bridge for you guys?

New Orleans actually have a visit with Carr which would presumably put Winston and Dalton out there as bridges as well.

Tannehill could be a cap casualty (apparently they save like $27m with a post-June 1 cut.

With those options it might be best to take the guy least likely to be a turnover machine. Of that list I would think Tannehill.

-QG

In that case I would give Minshew a chance as the short term starter, draft a QB, and have Wilson as the #3. Minshew should at least be a good bridge QB and adding a rookie to compete with them and to develop is a good idea even if they get Carr.
Is Minshew a free agent?

Yeah....not really sure what the plan is if they can't get Carr or Rodgers. Not a fan of Jimmy G but I certainly understand the appeal.

Haven't watched many titans games over the past couple of years, so I don't really have an opinion on tannehill. If he were to shake lose, I would think he'd be a better option than someone like brissett.

I've liked what I've seen from minshew in the past (and if Jacksonville had played him 3 years ago, Trevor Lawrence would be a jet) but he really stunk this year covering for hurts.

If it's minshew/brisset or Mike white, I think I'm trying white one more time

Yes, (even forgetting the team is cursed), this has potential to be a disaster for the Jets if they miss on Rodgers and Carr.

My wish list in order (not going to bother with rookies since I believe that's not realistic):

1. Aaron Rodgers - he is coming off a down season but back to back MVPs before that. Once Watson started coming around, Rodgers played better and Wilson >> Watson, plus the rest of the Jets supporting cast is superior. This is an AFC Championship Game or Bust type move. In almost any scenario the Jets will be looking for a new QB in one or two seasons anyway so the age isn't concerning unless he is in serious decline.

2. Derek Carr - he's a league average QB, which just may be enough. I've heard about his poor play in cold weather, but stuff like that is is probably over-rated when you consider how many "cold weather" games teams actually play a year. Even here in the North East, Decembers are fairly mild. Maybe it hurts them in the playoffs going to KC or Buffalo - but during the regular season teams probably play 1 or 2 seriously cold games at best.

3. Jimmy G - I'd live with it and it would be an upgrade, but the guy has a long track record of missing time and bonehead plays that cost his team games. There's a decent chance we'd be back here next offseason wondering what the Jets do now at QB, even if they land Jimmy G. I'm not saying I don't want him - but if he's the big prize, I'm not sure we've found our savior.

4. Gardner Minshew - he's flawed and limited but he's a fiery leader, and can move well and is accurate in the short game.

5. Mike White - the team loves him at least - this would be a terribly unexciting option but there would be some sliver of hope I guess.

6. Brissett, Dalton, Winston - yucky

7. Zach Wilson - the search for new favorite team takes place.

Yes, (even forgetting the team is cursed), this has potential to be a disaster for the Jets if they miss on Rodgers and Carr.

My wish list in order (not going to bother with rookies since I believe that's not realistic):

1. Aaron Rodgers - he is coming off a down season but back to back MVPs before that. Once Watson started coming around, Rodgers played better and Wilson >> Watson, plus the rest of the Jets supporting cast is superior. This is an AFC Championship Game or Bust type move. In almost any scenario the Jets will be looking for a new QB in one or two seasons anyway so the age isn't concerning unless he is in serious decline.

2. Derek Carr - he's a league average QB, which just may be enough. I've heard about his poor play in cold weather, but stuff like that is is probably over-rated when you consider how many "cold weather" games teams actually play a year. Even here in the North East, Decembers are fairly mild. Maybe it hurts them in the playoffs going to KC or Buffalo - but during the regular season teams probably play 1 or 2 seriously cold games at best.

3. Jimmy G - I'd live with it and it would be an upgrade, but the guy has a long track record of missing time and bonehead plays that cost his team games. There's a decent chance we'd be back here next offseason wondering what the Jets do now at QB, even if they land Jimmy G. I'm not saying I don't want him - but if he's the big prize, I'm not sure we've found our savior.

4. Gardner Minshew - he's flawed and limited but he's a fiery leader, and can move well and is accurate in the short game.

5. Mike White - the team loves him at least - this would be a terribly unexciting option but there would be some sliver of hope I guess.

Good stuff - thats my list as well - however some concerns

A-Rod - I dig that hes a bit out there - but having to go in solitary confinement to decide if he wants to play one more season? Thats really out there - even if he comes they cant bank on him playing more than one year - no chance I trade even one 1st rder for 1 season of A-Rod. He's going to need at least 2 to get in the groove with a new team and go for it.

Carr to Saints is picking up steam

IF A-Rod retires or stays - all of a sudden Jimmy G becomes a hot commodity for desperate teams - who knows what happens then - I wouldnt spend crazy money on him

The idea of Minshaw or Mike White is a huge let down - but one we may need to prepare for - definitely could happen

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly believes Steelers QB Mitch Trubisky could be a cap casualty this offseason.​

This was about as predictable a scenario as one could envision when the Steelers signed Trubisky to a two-year, $14.285 million contract last offseason. In addition to bringing in Trubisky, the Steelers also drafted Kenny Pickett in the first round, spelling a short tenure with the Steelers for Trubisky if all went well for the rookie, Pickett. Kaboly notes in his article that Trubisky is unhappy with how things played out for him in 2022, making him one of the more likely cap casualties on the team. The Steelers can save $8 million against the cap if Trubisky is released, but will likely need to sign a veteran replacement with Mason Rudolph also likely to move on.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Feb 6, 2023, 11:46 AM ET
Makes no sense to me. He should have trade value if they want to move on, but they have 1 QB on the roster if they cut him. You won't save much once you go sign a free agent backup. Pickett is clearly a guy at risk to miss time.

What would be the point? How much better does Brissett make the Jets? Seems like one more wasted year of rookie contract salaries. And who exactly would he be a bridge to?
Why not just roll with a Mike White over a middling vet option like Brissett?

Bryce Huff was inactive for the first 3 (I believe) games. Finally got his chance he's balling out
Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

Never understand why Bryce Huff went undrafted.
Were there concerns within his game? Sure. But he was as quick and fluid off the edge of any pass-rusher in the 2020 class.
Those traits are certainly showing up in the NFL
----------------------------------------------
Harrison Glaser@NYJetsTFMedia
Bryce Huff last season:

1f4a5.png had fastest get-off in the entire NFL

1f4a5.png had 21% pressure rate, which was highest among all edge rushers, including Myles Garrett & Nick Bosa
1f4a5.png had 28% win rate, which was best in the entire NFL I am once again pleading 1f64f-1f3fb.png:

1f5e3.png Pay. This. Man. #Jets.
------------------------------------------------
Dan Moskow@dan_moskow
He’ll get a 2nd round tender

The Athletic's Mark Kaboly believes Steelers QB Mitch Trubisky could be a cap casualty this offseason.​

This was about as predictable a scenario as one could envision when the Steelers signed Trubisky to a two-year, $14.285 million contract last offseason. In addition to bringing in Trubisky, the Steelers also drafted Kenny Pickett in the first round, spelling a short tenure with the Steelers for Trubisky if all went well for the rookie, Pickett. Kaboly notes in his article that Trubisky is unhappy with how things played out for him in 2022, making him one of the more likely cap casualties on the team. The Steelers can save $8 million against the cap if Trubisky is released, but will likely need to sign a veteran replacement with Mason Rudolph also likely to move on.
SOURCE: The Athletic
Feb 6, 2023, 11:46 AM ET
Makes no sense to me. He should have trade value if they want to move on, but they have 1 QB on the roster if they cut him. You won't save much once you go sign a free agent backup. Pickett is clearly a guy at risk to miss time.

What would be the point? How much better does Brissett make the Jets? Seems like one more wasted year of rookie contract salaries. And who exactly would he be a bridge to?
Why not just roll with a Mike White over a middling vet option like Brissett?
While it's a small sample size, White's shown a propensity to get hurt, a lot. I realize this is the case with anyone who is brought in, but you're one snap away from Zach Wilson playing meaningful reps if 'only' Mike White is brought in. I frankly don't hate the idea of Minshew AND White if it doesn't get too crazy capwise.

Is Minshew a free agent?
I think so, but not sure. If he isn't, I would rather re-sign White than trade any assets for Minshew.

Either way, IMO every team that doesn't have it's long term franchise QB should be drafting one at some point in the draft just about every year until you develop one into your franchise QB. I wouldn't always use an early pick, but we've seen plenty of non-1st rounders become good so I would keep taking swings until I hit a home run.

I think Mike White lands in an equal or better situation than Minshew this offseason, with a higher value contact. We will see.

Neither White or Minshew will sign as the 3rd Jet QB behind a Vet, and Wilson. And all indications are Wilson will be a NYJ for 2023.

As mentioned above, Tannehill seems to be a potential option after Rodgers, Carr, Jimmy G.

Would love to see White get that kind of interest and value. Seems like the kind of back up that pushes the competition ahead of him. Loved the few weeks I was able to get from him until the injury.

If #7 happens you could convert to being an XFL fan maybe. I would consider it too.

Sauce makes it official with defensive ROTY. 46 of 50 first place votes.

Despite doubts that he would, Wilson completes the sweep as offensive ROTY.

Pretty damn impressive haul. Means nothing if they dont get a QB, but still awesome to have 2 studs like that (3 when you count Hall, assuming he bounces back) in a single class. And of course, Jermaine and Clemons both showed plenty of promise.

These quarterback scenarios are making me blanch. Minshew? He was terrible with Jacksonville. Chark was open all the time and he couldn't hit him. He throws a medicine ball on par with none other. Trust me on this. I watched Jacksonville intently because of Chark and james Robinson for fantasy purposes. Minshew is a pumpkin.

I'll go in order, too, taking into account likelihood and desirability.

1) It's really Rodgers or bust as the first option considering that the Jets hired Hackett.

2) We should pray Tannehill gets cut. He's so much better than the alternatives, because of

3) Derek Carr being an unlikely scenario due to the NY pressure and the weather. Most people will tell you both are overblown; I'm not sure upon reading reports of how Carr left the Raiders that he's got the mental make-up necessary to be a QB in NY on this team. I don't think he'd waive his no-trade to the Jets. I think he's a fine QB. We know what he is. You're not winning a Super Bowl with him front and center at the helm.

4) Winston I'm still intrigued by, but are you really going to pay him to be a starter in this league? I'd love to see his swashbuckling ways and arm here, but we just got done with ineffective swashbuckling arm talent and it wasn't pretty.

5) Brissett is functional, but is he going to lead a team anywhere?

6) Jimmy G is always making a bad decision and always hurt. He'd cost a pretty penny, which is why I have him below Winston and Brissett.

7) Mike White is who we thought he was, ribs notwithstanding.

8) Dalton is a no-go.

9) Gardner Minshew. Pumpkin.

10) Zach Wilson. Extra pumpkin.

I don't see Winston as an option at all. His style is the exact opposite of how this team wants to play. Way too many turnovers

I don't see Winston as an option at all. His style is the exact opposite of how this team wants to play. Way too many turnovers

Agreed. I think I pointed that out in the predicate of my sentence about Winston in that post. I don't think that a Winston signing is very likely. I've been a Jameis honk ever since Arians, but Arians wanted nothing to do with him when all was said and done. I think he had like 30 TDS and 30 picks one year. Yeah, he did. 33 TDs and 30 picks.

That's not what the Jets are looking for. He's still better than Brissett, Dalton, and Jimmy G, though. That's just my opinion. He at least gives you a fighting chance where the other guys lose the game with a slow grind. I wouldn't look at my rankings as hard-and-fast because it seems to me like once you scrape the bottom of the barrel past Carr, you've got tons of reasons to start or not start guys. It's like having a bunch of crappy receivers in FF. Who is going to give you a good week that week? You just don't know.

We should pray Tannehill gets cut.
Is there any chance that he gets cut? I did see a rumor the Titans may trade up from 10 to 1, but if not can they really roll with Willis?

But, if he was available he'd be my second choice over Carr - he's a better passer and much more mobile.

Users who are viewing this thread