What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (21 Viewers)

The Lions problem is and always will be ownership.

After saying the Lions will have a national search Martha hires family wealth manager and consultant Rod Wood as team president who admittedly know nothing about football or running a NFL franchise.  Wood then hires a green horn GM in Quinn who hires his buddy Patricia.  None of those 3 have any experience in the position they were selected for.  But the Wood hiring got the ball rolling and still is the most puzzling.

The Lions problem is and always will be ownership.

After saying the Lions will have a national search Martha hires family wealth manager and consultant Rod Wood as team president who admittedly know nothing about football or running a NFL franchise.  Wood then hires a green horn GM in Quinn who hires his buddy Patricia.  None of those 3 have any experience in the position they were selected for.  But the Wood hiring got the ball rolling and still is the most puzzling.
Not even sure where to begin...

How exactly has Rod Wood impacted the Lions negatively?  His primary task is report back to Martha & her daughters. I have yet to hear anything negative about him in the three years he’s been around. He knows nothing about football, he admits he is not qualified to have a say in football operations, and he does not ever interfere with that side of the organization. He sits in on high level meetings & participates (with Quinn clearly leading) in major hire interviews. He is a conduit. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Gimme one (1) example where my description of his role hadn’t held true.

The Ford’s aren’t selling. That’s been the lifelong (it’s covered all or all but a couple years of our respective lifetimes) excuse, and I promise it’ll be there as long as you live. If you’re going to continue rooting for the team & cannot accept that, not sure I can help you.

I don’t believe the members of the Fprd family currently involved with the Lions are an insurmountable problem. Except for watching practices or dropping in (announced) to the locker room, they are primarily league facing. They issue statements as needed & offer support. They are not stingy - as in the days they of WCF/Russ Thomas - and they have given their GM & coach sufficient austerity, freedom & power to succeed. People blame them are doing so out of habit without really evaluating what goes on in Allen Park.

The Quinn hire was slow & deliberate, and relied upon outside consultants. There were very few complaints Year 1 or Year 2. I am not thrilled with the FA activity, draft, or their UDFA in 2018. Feels like across the board regression. I still like Quinn & trust him. IMO - just my view - it’s premature to call for his head.

You make it sound like Patricia’s hire was automatic as soon as they hired BC. You know that’s not what happened.

The most puzzling thing about your post is how you equate the Wood hiring with all that is wrong now. To me it was and remains inconsequential.

I’m sure it was Accorsi that they brought in to conduct a search for GM. 

Next head above the parapet will be Cooter no doubt. Quinn has given him every tool needed to get a run game going and create balance and a dual threat to help Stafford. 

The D may take some time and there is some hope it will improve, but the O should theoretically be flying with Stafford, the triple threat of Tate/Jones/Golladay and a revamped RB corps. They seemed to abandon the run game before the game got out of hand in the 3rd quarter, off the back of one Blount play where Glasgow was shredded and Blount ended up being tackled 6 feet behind the line of scrimmage. 

The ultimate key right now for me relies on Cooter getting the run game going. We get that going then the D is on the field less and it opens it up more for Stafford. I’m honestly just so sick and tired and watching this lacklustre running game. 

Nobody can tell me that a rough lineup of..

Decker/Ragnow/Glasgow/Lang/Wagner 

isnt good enough to at least give us an average to above average run game. 

I actually thought Kerryon looked pretty decent in the one spell of the game where he got a handful of touches 

There were reports Quinn was selling Patricia on the Lions job 2 years ago so I do think it was always the guy he wanted. 

Also NFL.com reporting that Lions veterans have been really unhappy with Patricia all offseason. 

:bag:  oooof.

Are we allowed to nickname people anymore? if so, I'll go with Matt Patricia as Patty Melt. What a meltdown.
And looks like 3 of those are his daily breakfast.  I think nutrisystem is getting him into "before" form

Last edited by a moderator:
Brunell4MVP said:
Stafford, Bradford, and Eli.  The 3 most overhyped QBs of the last 5 years.  Eli won with solid coaching and personnel around him a few years ago.  Without it we clearly see he was no more than a game manager.  Bradford has somehow played his injuries and weak arm into making more money...go figure that out.  And Stafford without Calvin Johnson is terrible.  TERRIBLE.
That last part about Stafford has made me now dumber for reading it, congratulations you have somehow managed to lower my total IQ if that was in fact your total goal of this post... and I'm not even a Stafford owner/Lion fan 

Mike Lombardi (who is a former New England assistant coach) said on his pod, "the rule of week 1 is don't panic...unless you are the Lions." 

BobbyLayne said:
Thing is, teams evolve in-season all the time. One horrible game that snowballs doesn’t actually tell you much.

We’re on to San Francisco...

Seven new HCs in the NFL this year. They’re 0-7 rn.
How many have a future HOF QB in his 10th season?

I may be wrong but can`t remember Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Favre or any top level QB throwing 4 INTs and should have been 5-6.. losing in that manner at home on MNF and to a QB in his first start who is barely old enough to buy beer. Can you?

I have always liked Stafford but 10 years in the excuses are getting old.

I may be wrong but can`t remember Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Favre or any top level QB throwing 4 INTs and should have been 5-6.. losing in that manner at home on MNF and to a QB in his first start who is barely old enough to buy beer. Can you?

Stafford is not a hall of fame player.....

Favre has these games every so often. He had five interceptions on a Monday night game in 2005 causing a buddy of mine to lose to me. I’ll never forget that game. I think it was on Halloween.

:goodposting:

But the point still stands

BobbyLayne said:
Not even sure where to begin...

How exactly has Rod Wood impacted the Lions negatively?  His primary task is report back to Martha & her daughters. I have yet to hear anything negative about him in the three years he’s been around. He knows nothing about football, he admits he is not qualified to have a say in football operations, and he does not ever interfere with that side of the organization. He sits in on high level meetings & participates (with Quinn clearly leading) in major hire interviews. He is a conduit. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Gimme one (1) example where my description of his role hadn’t held true.

The Ford’s aren’t selling. That’s been the lifelong (it’s covered all or all but a couple years of our respective lifetimes) excuse, and I promise it’ll be there as long as you live. If you’re going to continue rooting for the team & cannot accept that, not sure I can help you.

I don’t believe the members of the Fprd family currently involved with the Lions are an insurmountable problem. Except for watching practices or dropping in (announced) to the locker room, they are primarily league facing. They issue statements as needed & offer support. They are not stingy - as in the days they of WCF/Russ Thomas - and they have given their GM & coach sufficient austerity, freedom & power to succeed. People blame them are doing so out of habit without really evaluating what goes on in Allen Park.

The Quinn hire was slow & deliberate, and relied upon outside consultants. There were very few complaints Year 1 or Year 2. I am not thrilled with the FA activity, draft, or their UDFA in 2018. Feels like across the board regression. I still like Quinn & trust him. IMO - just my view - it’s premature to call for his head.

You make it sound like Patricia’s hire was automatic as soon as they hired BC. You know that’s not what happened.

The most puzzling thing about your post is how you equate the Wood hiring with all that is wrong now. To me it was and remains inconsequential.
Bobby, how ironic is it that for the past couple years you and I have probably been the most pro-Caldwell (relatively speaking), and here we are one game into the Patricia era and we're both the ones who are refusing to freak out?

I thought the Lions looked horrible on Monday, and there are no excuses for that performance. But all the ridiculous hot takes -- MP has lost the team, Stafford is cooked, fire JBC -- are almost a parody of overreaction.

Lions may not have the league's most talented roster, but they are definitely better than they showed on Monday. Which means Patricia and the staff should be able to fix the problems. If they can't, then it may actually be time to panic.

Just an observation from a Patriots homer but in re-watching the Stafford interceptions... Some of them were just poor reads/decision making.

• One of them was a bad read in which he tried to go deep sideline with a safety closing in whilst ignoring the blitzing Slot DB letting said Slot WR get matchup on a LB whom the receiver had beaten for a few yards.
  • The Darron Lee pick was simply a well executed play. Lee beat the WR? trying to rub him going across and jumped the RB pass. If the rub were executed better, odds are this would've simply been a short completion for 4-7 yards. Can't really blame Stafford on this one.
  • His final? pick was a really bad throw to a receiver down the seam covered by 3 defenders. Bad decision where Stafford just threw it up there.

I was talking with a 49ers fan last night; he’s a Bronx native, diehard Yankees fan, but jumped on the SF bandwagon in the Montana - Walsh years. Tried to explain to me he would have his barber cut his hair like Steve Young & I was like “that was a thing?”

He was giving me a hard time about how we’ll never win a SB with Stafford. My response:

”Well, listen, I’m a lot closer to the grave than the day I was born, and they may never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime. But I realized a long time ago he’s not elite; he will never compare favorably with guys like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton, Big Ben....at best he’s a nicer version of Phillip Rivers, a more aggressive Matt Ryan, Tony Romo if he were clutch.

But you have to understand, Detroit is different. Our superstars are not blue collar, that’s absurd because they’re millionaires. But there’s a mold, in every sport. Not flashy, they don’t thump their chest, they just do their job. Think Al Kaline, Alan Trammell, Gotdie Howe, Steve Yzerman, Barry Sanders. In that sense, he’s the near-perfect face of a Detroit franchise. The Staffords live in the area year round, they’re in the community, he never says the wrong thing, he’s never in legal trouble. He’s a good quarterback, top 6 top 8 but he’s never been elite. He never was & probably never will be.”

The reality is we rarely EXPECT our teams to win. Maybe a few times....the early 80s Tigers under Sparky, the progression of the Bad Boys, the Wings after Bowman arrived. But we are not Boston or NYC or L.A. We don’t demand hardware. We want to be competitive & we hate to be embarrassed.

The Lions have NEVER had a team that we expected had a legitimate shot at winning a Super Bowl. One for the Thumb was a great ride, but....Redskins. 7 straight to finish the year a couple seasons later but it was still a WC team - got slaughtered in Philadelphia. Every Stafford playoff team just barely got into the playoffs & we never truly expected a run.

The last playoff team backed in with three straight losses to playoff teams & got run over by the Thomas Rawls career game (@Seattle.)

We have the longest playoff losing streak in league history (9 games) for a very simple reason. We rarely play at home, we never get a bye. Since 1957 we’ve made the playoffs 12 times. 9 Wild Cards - 8 on the road - 9 losses. 3 Division Playoffs - 2 on the road - 2 losses.

He isn't as good as Rodgers or Manning. But then again, who is? All QBs have terrible games. Brees has had a few 4 and 5 INT games. Game 1 of the 2003 season Brady threw 4 picks, competed 50% of his passes and the Pats were blown out. They went 14-2 that year. Brady has 6 four interception games in his career. Even the best QBs have bad games just like even the best pitchers get shelled sometimes. 

No not at this point. He still probably has 5-7 years left of his best football left and he is likely to retire in the top 5 of every major passing category so who knows how it looks at the end. 

If you ever listen to 97.1 callers you would think so.  
Actually my experience is that they mostly think he sucks. I can't tell you how many morons I've heard call in and say Detroit should trade Stafford and start Ruddock since he was just as good. Sports talk radio is the dumbest. 

I don’t listen to the Ticket or any Detroit radio out of market. Haven’t lived there for 19 years. But as outsiders who are annual visitors, General Malaise & I independently observed the same thing: Matthew Stafford takes WAY MORE criticism than the NFL teams in our markets (he’s in Oregon but roots for the Seahawks.)

And I’m listening to people discuss Eli & Sanchez & Geno & Fitzpatrick. It’s a little wacky over there in SE Michigan.

I don’t listen to the Ticket or any Detroit radio out of market. Haven’t lived there for 19 years. But as outsiders who are annual visitors, General Malaise & I independently observed the same thing: Matthew Stafford takes WAY MORE criticism than the NFL teams in our markets (he’s in Oregon but roots for the Seahawks.)

And I’m listening to people discuss Eli & Sanchez & Geno & Fitzpatrick. It’s a little wacky over there in SE Michigan.
I have always liked Stafford but 10 years in I think we know what he is by now. Stafford is never going to be elite.  With the Lions I doubt that is enough for a playoff win.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always liked Stafford but 10 years in I think we know what he is by now. Stafford is never going to be elite.  With the Lions I doubt that is enough for a playoff win.
Agree with the first part.

As tons of mediocre QBs - and Stafford is well above that category- have won playoff games, probably short of an absolute. But they’re not close at this point.

The Detroit Lions Podcast connected to reddit is good for a listen. The guys on there are intelligent and not quick to lose their #### ( the reverse Carlos Monarrez )

I felt like the last Lions season with Suh, we could have gone deep in the playoffs with a little luck. Luck that was clearly missing in the Cowboys game. The run D was amazingly stout, and we had some talent like Levy there in the mix as well. The O was hampered by Lombardi but overall the team was the best I’ve seen and probably should have won our div. 

Stafford’s lack of playoff wins is pure circumstance and nothing else. He doesn’t get to play the Raiders with Cook at QB and get a playoff win like whoever it was that was under centre for the Texans did. Or a home tilt because he has a great D and excellemt coaching around him that has secured a div win. Always on the road, always a difficult opponent. Again, so easily it could have been there against the Cowboys and was no fault of his own that it wasn’t. 

He isn’t elite whereby he can win the whole thing by carrying his team. But I believe he’s good enough to do it if he had the correct personnel around him. 

With the chatter that there are veterans are unhappy with how he worked the team during the off-season, how much of what we just saw is a team not buying in to Patricia trying to bring a different culture to Detroit?  If this is the result of Patricia bringing a New England style culture to what has obviously not been a winning franchise, I'm fine with it.  If this season is a miserable display, and we see sweeping changes to the roster because of it, I'm fine with it.  I've been watching the Lion's for 30 years now, and in their best seasons all we could hope for is possibly a division championship, maybe a playoff win... but never have I felt like a Lion's team was going to be a Superbowl contender.  Even in 91, you knew that team was over-matched going in to the NFC championship game.

I'm sick to death of of 9-7, 10-6, and a first round loss, being our successful seasons.  I will be more than willing to watch a 2-14 season if it means to beginning of truly trying to build this team, from the ground up, as a championship franchise.  I know the record of Belichick disciples is not good, but eventually someone is going to export that culture from New England to another team, and I'm fine with seeing if Quinn and Patricia can do it.  If they go down in flames, and this ends in both fired a couple years from now, with the franchise starting over... so what?  Would we really be any worse off than we have been?  Another season of mediocrity doesn't interest me.  I desperately want to see this team truly become a championship contender, and I won't be bothered if a complete collapse and rebuild has to preclude that.  Hopefully Monday was the beginning of just that.  If it wasn't... what difference does it make, the team would just be in the same position they have always been... disappointing.

Agree with the first part.

As tons of mediocre QBs - and Stafford is well above that category- have won playoff games, probably short of an absolute. But they’re not close at this point.
I used to be so emotional watching the Lions but over 40 years they have sucked the emotion from me. I am not mad when they lose..really not happy if they win..I just watch for entertainment now.  Monday night might have been rock bottom for me in terms of disgust.  Looking at the fans in the stands it seems they felt the same way.

I used to be so emotional watching the Lions but over 40 years they have sucked the emotion from me. I am not mad when they lose..really not happy if they win..I just watch for entertainment now.  Monday night might have been rock bottom for me in terms of disgust.  Looking at the fans in the stands it seems they felt the same way.
I’m not that invested in the NFL or sports in general as I get older. I watched the TNF opener. I didn’t see a single play on Sunday as I was busy. And the MNF game was background noise during dinner.

I was a multi- sport player growing up, played baseball 9 summers. They lost me after the 1994 strike, though I still track the Tigers almost daily. Just don’t watch games. I loved Bing & Lanier growing up, all thee title runs were special, but I don’t know anything about today’s Pistons or the NBA. I was an avid Red Wings fan when I lived in the area in the 90s and that continued for a solid decade after I left. Towards the end of the playoff streak it became tedious to barely make it in only to lose in the first round. All three teams are relatively horrible these days compared to their zenith.

The Lions are different. I have loved this team since 1967 and could never root for another NFL franchise. They have done nothing to earn that loyalty.

They remain the only team I get excited about when they win a big game & I become sad (briefly) when they find another creative way to blow a game. I am cautiously optimistic every year, unsurprised when they disappoint, and incapable of abandoning them.

It is irrational.

The Detroit Lions Podcast connected to reddit is good for a listen. The guys on there are intelligent and not quick to lose their #### ( the reverse Carlos Monarrez )

I felt like the last Lions season with Suh, we could have gone deep in the playoffs with a little luck. Luck that was clearly missing in the Cowboys game. The run D was amazingly stout, and we had some talent like Levy there in the mix as well. The O was hampered by Lombardi but overall the team was the best I’ve seen and probably should have won our div. 

Stafford’s lack of playoff wins is pure circumstance and nothing else. He doesn’t get to play the Raiders with Cook at QB and get a playoff win like whoever it was that was under centre for the Texans did. Or a home tilt because he has a great D and excellemt coaching around him that has secured a div win. Always on the road, always a difficult opponent. Again, so easily it could have been there against the Cowboys and was no fault of his own that it wasn’t. 

He isn’t elite whereby he can win the whole thing by carrying his team. But I believe he’s good enough to do it if he had the correct personnel around him. 
That was a good team but as always happens with the Lions, the refs completely hosed us.

With the chatter that there are veterans are unhappy with how he worked the team during the off-season, how much of what we just saw is a team not buying in to Patricia trying to bring a different culture to Detroit?  If this is the result of Patricia bringing a New England style culture to what has obviously not been a winning franchise, I'm fine with it.  If this season is a miserable display, and we see sweeping changes to the roster because of it, I'm fine with it.  I've been watching the Lion's for 30 years now, and in their best seasons all we could hope for is possibly a division championship, maybe a playoff win... but never have I felt like a Lion's team was going to be a Superbowl contender.  Even in 91, you knew that team was over-matched going in to the NFC championship game.

I'm sick to death of of 9-7, 10-6, and a first round loss, being our successful seasons.  I will be more than willing to watch a 2-14 season if it means to beginning of truly trying to build this team, from the ground up, as a championship franchise.  I know the record of Belichick disciples is not good, but eventually someone is going to export that culture from New England to another team, and I'm fine with seeing if Quinn and Patricia can do it.  If they go down in flames, and this ends in both fired a couple years from now, with the franchise starting over... so what?  Would we really be any worse off than we have been?  Another season of mediocrity doesn't interest me.  I desperately want to see this team truly become a championship contender, and I won't be bothered if a complete collapse and rebuild has to preclude that.  Hopefully Monday was the beginning of just that.  If it wasn't... what difference does it make, the team would just be in the same position they have always been... disappointing.
I get it but also the NFL is wide open and sometimes just making the playoffs is enough and from there anything can happen. There have been many SB teams that weren't really dominant but just got hot in the playoffs (Giants twice, Ravens, Eagles with a back-up QB). Detroit made the playoffs two of the last 4 years and seemed to be on the cusp of being a really great team. We definitely needed some more defensive playmaklers but Austin was able to get the most out of our limited talent last year. Stafford is B level QB and he has weapons around him. Now all of a sudden it looks like we are in total rebuild mode trying to remake the defense without the players to fit the scheme and rebuild the culture. It would make sense for a Browns or a Dolphins. It just doesn't seem to make sense for the Lions. Patricia was supposed to be the guy that pushed us from playoff contender to SB contender. Instead it feels like he is here to tear everything down to build it back up. It's sickening. 

Name one qb to not win a playoff game or a division title in the hof.........ill hang up n listen
Did Moon ever win a playoff game? Probably. 

Anyway Stafford/s career isn't over. No doubt he needs to win some bigger gamest. However, if Stafford plays 5 more years at a similar career pace (he is 30 so 35 is very realistic) then he ends up passing Marino in yards and finishing top 5 in all time passing yards and about 6th in passing TDs. If he is able to get to 37 or 38 then he could end up passing by guys like Brees and Brady. How many guys are top 3-5 all time in their major statistical categories and aren't in the HoF? 

I’m not that invested in the NFL or sports in general as I get older. I watched the TNF opener. I didn’t see a single play on Sunday as I was busy. And the MNF game was background noise during dinner.

I was a multi- sport player growing up, played baseball 9 summers. They lost me after the 1994 strike, though I still track the Tigers almost daily. Just don’t watch games. I loved Bing & Lanier growing up, all thee title runs were special, but I don’t know anything about today’s Pistons or the NBA. I was an avid Red Wings fan when I lived in the area in the 90s and that continued for a solid decade after I left. Towards the end of the playoff streak it became tedious to barely make it in only to lose in the first round. All three teams are relatively horrible these days compared to their zenith.

The Lions are different. I have loved this team since 1967 and could never root for another NFL franchise. They have done nothing to earn that loyalty.

They remain the only team I get excited about when they win a big game & I become sad (briefly) when they find another creative way to blow a game. I am cautiously optimistic every year, unsurprised when they disappoint, and incapable of abandoning them.

It is irrational.
I don't think I will ever be as emotionally invested in any sports result as when I was a kid. I was 13 when Bird stole the ball from Isiah and remember just being absolutely devastated. Nothing I've felt before or since can top that disappointment. Maybe I'd feel that way if the Lions made it all the way to the Super Bowl and lost in heart-breaking fashion a la the Falcons two years ago or the Butler INT. But I think one of the few things age gives you is perspective.

(Other, non-Detroit sports memory: Going to a Phillies-Mets game at Citi Field a few years ago and sitting right by the foul pole. There were about three Philly HRs right within 20 feet of where we were sitting, and each time the fans threw the ball back onto the field. I remember wondering what I, as a fan of neither team, would do in that situation. My first thought was that I would feel no need to throw the ball back. My second thought was that I would also feel no need to keep it.)  :lmao:

I was talking with a 49ers fan last night; he’s a Bronx native, diehard Yankees fan, but jumped on the SF bandwagon in the Montana - Walsh years. Tried to explain to me he would have his barber cut his hair like Steve Young & I was like “that was a thing?”

He was giving me a hard time about how we’ll never win a SB with Stafford. My response:

”Well, listen, I’m a lot closer to the grave than the day I was born, and they may never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime. But I realized a long time ago he’s not elite; he will never compare favorably with guys like Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Peyton, Big Ben....at best he’s a nicer version of Phillip Rivers, a more aggressive Matt Ryan, Tony Romo if he were clutch.

But you have to understand, Detroit is different. Our superstars are not blue collar, that’s absurd because they’re millionaires. But there’s a mold, in every sport. Not flashy, they don’t thump their chest, they just do their job. Think Al Kaline, Alan Trammell, Gotdie Howe, Steve Yzerman, Barry Sanders. In that sense, he’s the near-perfect face of a Detroit franchise. The Staffords live in the area year round, they’re in the community, he never says the wrong thing, he’s never in legal trouble. He’s a good quarterback, top 6 top 8 but he’s never been elite. He never was & probably never will be.”
Stafford is good enough. This franchise just sucks balls. Even in the seasons when the division title is handed to them on a silver platter, they still find a way to not win it. 

Also from a personnel standpoint, the Lions are always below average. Every single year. 

I get it but also the NFL is wide open and sometimes just making the playoffs is enough and from there anything can happen. There have been many SB teams that weren't really dominant but just got hot in the playoffs (Giants twice, Ravens, Eagles with a back-up QB). Detroit made the playoffs two of the last 4 years and seemed to be on the cusp of being a really great team. We definitely needed some more defensive playmaklers but Austin was able to get the most out of our limited talent last year. Stafford is B level QB and he has weapons around him. Now all of a sudden it looks like we are in total rebuild mode trying to remake the defense without the players to fit the scheme and rebuild the culture. It would make sense for a Browns or a Dolphins. It just doesn't seem to make sense for the Lions. Patricia was supposed to be the guy that pushed us from playoff contender to SB contender. Instead it feels like he is here to tear everything down to build it back up. It's sickening. 
They were fortunate in both of those seasons with soft schedules and injuries to key players on division rivals. And they still couldn't win the division or get wins against good teams. It's almost a sure thing every season that the Lions will lose to any team with a winning record other than the Packers. Like 99% probability. 

Trust me, when Patricia was hired, I was hoping this was going to be the push to the next level, not a rebuild.  I guess I'm just really hung up on the fact that there have been these rumors since July that players weren't happy with how hard he was working them.  He comes from a system that works.  It's well known that New England runs a disciplined organization, and you have to be all in.  If this truly is a situation where Patricia came in and started pushing them harder, trying to show them how NE did it, what it will take to win, and he's meeting resistance from veterans... then I feel like a rebuild is a necessity.  He can't build a perennial winner if the core isn't willing to do what it will take.  

7-9, 9-7, and 9-7... that is the last 3 years.  It's mediocrity, and then hoping for a lucky playoff run.  I know that happens plenty in the NFL, I guess I just would rather see them become something like New England, Green Bay, or Pittsburgh.  Hell, I'd settle for something like what Seattle has been, or what Andy Reid teams always are.  Every year, year after year, there is a chance.  You start the season with the confidence that the team will be a contender.  It might be a pipe dream, but I'm tired of hoping for 9-7, 10-6, and some luck.  I'd prefer we reach a point where we expect 10-6, hope for 12-4, and are disappointed when they don't reach the divisional round, or the conference championship.  I know, so are most fanbases, but for many organizations, they have at least had that 4 or 5 year run where the team is a realistic contender every year.  I'd love to have a run like Seattle just went on.

Stafford is good enough. This franchise just sucks balls. Even in the seasons when the division title is handed to them on a silver platter, they still find a way to not win it. 

Also from a personnel standpoint, the Lions are always below average. Every single year. 
Finally someone who actually gets it.

Unlike the myopic morons who actually think franchises win or lose based on one single player.

Trust me, when Patricia was hired, I was hoping this was going to be the push to the next level, not a rebuild.  I guess I'm just really hung up on the fact that there have been these rumors since July that players weren't happy with how hard he was working them.  He comes from a system that works.  It's well known that New England runs a disciplined organization, and you have to be all in.  If this truly is a situation where Patricia came in and started pushing them harder, trying to show them how NE did it, what it will take to win, and he's meeting resistance from veterans... then I feel like a rebuild is a necessity.  He can't build a perennial winner if the core isn't willing to do what it will take.  

7-9, 9-7, and 9-7... that is the last 3 years.  It's mediocrity, and then hoping for a lucky playoff run.  I know that happens plenty in the NFL, I guess I just would rather see them become something like New England, Green Bay, or Pittsburgh.  Hell, I'd settle for something like what Seattle has been, or what Andy Reid teams always are.  Every year, year after year, there is a chance.  You start the season with the confidence that the team will be a contender.  It might be a pipe dream, but I'm tired of hoping for 9-7, 10-6, and some luck.  I'd prefer we reach a point where we expect 10-6, hope for 12-4, and are disappointed when they don't reach the divisional round, or the conference championship.  I know, so are most fanbases, but for many organizations, they have at least had that 4 or 5 year run where the team is a realistic contender every year.  I'd love to have a run like Seattle just went on.
I understand. But also look how many NE system coaches have failed when trying to install the Patriot way. I am not sure any coach can be BB. Also, they perpetually have had Brady on team friendly deals- that might be enough to turn any team into a contender.

7-9. 9-7. 9-7. Mediocrity but also in the mix. Maybe it is a lucky playoff run or maybe it's a strong draft/FA class and 9-7 becomes 11-5 or 12-4. The difference in the NFL between 8-8 and 10-6 is often just a handful of plays.  Andy Reid's career winning is 60%. Caldwell with Detroit was 56%. It's the difference of a half a game. I just can't believe we are talking rebuild on a team with a 30 year old franchise QB and a winning record 3 of the last 4 seasons. 

As for the run Seattle went on, I think we are seeing now it wasn't because they did anything all that special. They got lucky drafting a later round QB on a cheap deal who happened to be an instant Pro Bowler. He was cheap for several years which allowed them to load up their defense. Now that Wilson is paid, we are seeing the Seahawks really have no clue what they are doing. 

They were fortunate in both of those seasons with soft schedules and injuries to key players on division rivals. And they still couldn't win the division or get wins against good teams. It's almost a sure thing every season that the Lions will lose to any team with a winning record other than the Packers. Like 99% probability. 
I agree, they definitely were a case of beating the teams they were supposed to. They never beat the top teams. Now maybe we are back to the good old Lions who can't beat anyone. Trust me, I want to be wrong, but as a lifelong fan I can't help but assume the worst. 

feel bad for you guys. this is the same garbage McDaniels tried doing in Denver. demanding a culture of fear and obedience without earning even a modicum of it, all while driving a chasm between him and the guys who are supposed to be playing for him.

the sooner Detroit moves on the better.

feel bad for you guys. this is the same garbage McDaniels tried doing in Denver. demanding a culture of fear and obedience without earning even a modicum of it, all while driving a chasm between him and the guys who are supposed to be playing for him.

the sooner Detroit moves on the better.
Josh started 6n0.....this clown went to sucking right away

Choppy water ahead in Detroit.

I don't know if Patricia will turn into Charlie Weiss or Nick Saban, but BB encountered the same dynamic in Cleveland.  Bernie Kozar and the a large number of veterans had grown a sense of entitlement in addition to accepting mediocrity.  Sadly, just as the ship was being righted, Art Modell announced the plan to move the Browns to Baltimore and the team fell apart.  

Regardless, its interesting to see all the third parties chiming in after a horrible opening day loss.

I think the Jets secondary will prove to be way better than originally thought. Even with the known addition of Johnson. 

Stafford had a terrible game but isn’t the problem. Of course they can win with him. On offense they have to protect and run even a little. 

The overall preparation of the team for week 1 at home was dumbfounding. They just didn’t get beat. They got whupped in every way. After the quick TD to open the 2nd half I thought it was game on. Instead 31 unanswered. Hoping it’s one week but this feels bad

Choppy water ahead in Detroit.

I don't know if Patricia will turn into Charlie Weiss or Nick Saban, but BB encountered the same dynamic in Cleveland.  Bernie Kozar and the a large number of veterans had grown a sense of entitlement in addition to accepting mediocrity.  Sadly, just as the ship was being righted, Art Modell announced the plan to move the Browns to Baltimore and the team fell apart.  

Regardless, its interesting to see all the third parties chiming in after a horrible opening day loss.
Caldwell struck me as a coach who let players take it easy. Now you have to weed out the whiners. Any coach should be given at least two years before you say they’re awful.

Users who are viewing this thread