What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (7 Viewers)

Who brings in their seldom utilized RB3 on 4th and goal at the 1 and then give him the carry on a dive play?

When the top 2 have 27 TDs lol….Campbell was nonchalant today….”well that package called for Craig to run it, so….thats what we did.”

Love how the second longest explosive of the game was Brock Wright on a TE leak.

Every other final four team plays hero ball; Detroit is a team effort across the board.

Ther Wright play was right in front of us, he looked so slow on that play..then he jukes the DB on top of it!!

That was same play used against Jets last year when Wright scored a long one.

Indeed - last year it was 12 personnel on 4th and inches, this year also two TE on 3rd and 1.

I don’t know Ben Johnson’s terminology but it’s a pretty standard TE leak left, it’s a very simple play which literally every team has in their playbook.

The X WR on the left runs a sail to clear out the defenders, LaPorta is in motion from left to right and appears to be the primary. The inline TE on the right side engages his block and then leaks across to the left flat area. It’s play action to Monty, and everything appears to be setting up for a short pass to the right side.

Against the Jets Wright went about 30 yards before any Jets defender is anywhere near, cuts back, 51 yard TD with under two minutes left.

watch the dots - 10.7 yards of separation at point of the catch

Love how Ben runs out of 11 personnel and throws from 12 and 13 personnel. Or shows the same alignment platform, same motion with the same players as an earlier play, but then runs a completely different play,

Last edited:
Weather forecast continues to look good. Now calling for a high of 67 degrees with winds maxing out at 7mph. No rain.

Good, was hoping it would not be a slop fest.

Jared was born and raised about an hour north of Santa Clara, the site of Levi’s Stadium. His birth place, parents house and high school are all within a few miles of each other; same place his dad (12 years in the minor leagues, parts of 6 years with 3 MLB teams) grew up. Went to Cal-Berkeley, across the Bay from San Francisco - a 40 minute drive home. Wears 16 bc Montana was his favorite player as a kid.

The redemption arc is coming full circle.

According to Dave Birkett, Alex Anzalone fractured three ribs during the Lions’ week 18 victory over the Vikings.

He has played the past two games with the injury, and even led the team in tackles in the wild card round against the Rams.

What the heck was Cam Sutton doing this week? "peaking" in the backfield is one thing, but he was disregarding Evan's route and staring at Mayfield at least three times that I saw. One resulted in Evans making a catch with Cam's MxM coverage at least 10 yards away! Does he always play this way? so frustrating watching repeated wide open/ poor coverage. Can/should this be fixed?

thoughts, @BobbyLayne ?

I just spent a ridiculous amount for tickets to the watch party, but I have them. Just can’t wait!!

Awesome. Hope they cut away to Ford Field often....hoping they have reason to cut away for the reaction in Motown often.

It's such a special year. Honestly wondered if I would ever see it.

I think it was around Week 13 - day after beating the Saints (despite Carr dealing on us before he got hurt), I wrote

"At this point there is no real way to improve the defense in-season so either enjoy watching the team as is or check out. Anyone expecting them to win in dominating fashion is going to be miserable for two months."

The next week the Bears ran all over us. But that Week 14 loss was also the first time I saw AG starting to make adjustments. That was the week Tracy Walker was benched and Ifeatu Melifonwu played 70 snaps - after only seeing 103 defensive snaps the first 12 games. The next week the mixing of coverages continued and they started manufacturing pressure with creative fronts + sending free runners from the secondary.

Iffy saved our season. They have a lot of stars on this team but in my mind #6 is their MVP from the last 6 games - 5 wins and one (bizarre officiating snafu) loss.

Anyway, enjoy my friend. Love that you going for it!

Iffy has been huge. Branch has been huge too. Those two are tackling machines and can bring the pressure when needed. We are still getting crappy CB play, but when we do get a defensive stop, it is almost always because of a play by Iffy, Branch or Hutch.

Penei Sewell earned a 97.5 run blocking grade on Sunday’s divisional round matchup with the Buccaneers

The highest grade given to any offensive lineman in PFF history

Penei is an absolute beast. I think next season the consensus will agree he is the best offensive lineman in football.

What the heck was Cam Sutton doing this week? "peaking" in the backfield is one thing, but he was disregarding Evan's route and staring at Mayfield at least three times that I saw. One resulted in Evans making a catch with Cam's MxM coverage at least 10 yards away! Does he always play this way? so frustrating watching repeated wide open/ poor coverage. Can/should this be fixed?

thoughts, @BobbyLayne ?

Who knows. JJ x2, Lamb, Puka & Evans is quite the gauntlet. Obviously he’s struggling but IDK how much of that is Kerby not rolling over. It does seem like he’s being too aggressive, especially on short yardage where they have him isolated. But CB is viewed pretty harshly by casuals. You see the end result without actually knowing what coverage was called.

Not sure what the alternative is bc he’s still their best outside corner. I think Branch is their best coverage DB and CJGJ & Melifonwu are also playing at a high level. But none of them can play outside.

What they’ve been trying to do the past six weeks is disguising their fronts and mixing up the coverages. They’ve gotten outstanding production from Iffy & BB blitzing + Hutch is on a tear. They’re still a good run D but they play an aggressive style that is prone to giving up chunk plays.

They’ve only given up 127 points over the last 6 games, always between 17 and 24 points. With their offense that’s more than adequate; 5 wins & one robbery over that stretch.

I said back in early December there’s no easy fix, they don’t have the right dudes. Hutch needs someone opposite him and outside we’re very vulnerable. However, I feel like AG has been coaching his butt off. I’m not worried about chunk plays if they’re tough in the red zone where teams have less space.

Typical NFL game has 8-11 possessions, varies due to 3 n outs or turnovers. We have to accept we’ll probably always give up 4-5 scoring drives. If we get 1-2 red zone stops, generate any turnovers, and force 3 punts, that’s enough to control the game flow.

The defense has had some great moments in this playoff run. But it’s always going to rest primarily on 16 having a clean game & the outstanding OL being reliable. Just keep chopping wood & sooner or later 5, 8, 9, 14, 26, or 87 will have an explosive that swings it in our favor.

The Lions record when Mike Tirico is the play by play announcer*
  1. NFLN vs Chicago Saturday 12/16/2017, Lions win 20-10
  2. NBC SNF at Green Bay 1/8/2023, Lions win 20-16
  3. NBC TNF at Kansas City 9/7/2023 Lions win 21-20
  4. NBC WC vs Los Angeles Rams 1/14/2024 Lions win 24-23
  5. NBC DIV vs Tampa Bay 1/21/2024 Lions win 31-23

*according to Tirico & Dery on yesterday's Locked On Lions

Sunday night's game is on Fox (Burkhardt, Olsen)

:oldunsure:

Super Bowl probabilities for all four remaining NFL teams (PFF)​

BALTIMORE RAVENS: 33% TO WIN SUPER BOWL

• The Ravens are projected to go to the Super Bowl 58% of the time.
  • They have played the 11th-easiest schedule to date.

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 30% TO WIN SUPER BOWL

• The 49ers are projected to go to the Super Bowl 63% of the time.
  • They have played the ninth-easiest schedule to date.

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: 23% TO WIN SUPER BOWL

• The Chiefs are projected to go to the Super Bowl 42% of the time.
  • They have played the ninth-hardest schedule to date.

DETROIT LIONS: 15% TO WIN SUPER BOWL

• The Lions are projected to go to the Super Bowl 37% of the time.
  • They have played the 15th-hardest schedule to date.

How do you keep you job with a .188 winning percentage??

Dan Campbell is 22-7 .759 since I posed this question

Also, I was totally wrong about Gibbs & LaPorta
So was I, happy to eat that crow. Although I am not sure there is a singular person that saw LaPorta’s impact being what it was. Campbell’s start to the job makes this even sweeter. His raw emotion and passion is what gave him a chance to survive the tough start. Even during the losing you could see the difference in the way the team competed, they just needed talent to get over the hump. Thank you Brad Holmes for that.

So was I, happy to eat that crow. Although I am not sure there is a singular person that saw LaPorta’s impact being what it was. Campbell’s start to the job makes this even sweeter. His raw emotion and passion is what gave him a chance to survive the tough start. Even during the losing you could see the difference in the way the team competed, they just needed talent to get over the hump. Thank you Brad Holmes for that.

Well it's all of them, really. Sheila determined they needed to embrace their past, own it, before they could change the culture. The first big move she made was hiring Chris Spielman. Mike Disner (now the COO) is the one who suggested they talk to Brad Holmes. Rod Wood, thankfully, knows to shut up and listen when the grownup football people are talking. It all started with those four because they are the ones who collaboratively made the Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell hires.

They really knocked that out of the park; not only are both of them top shelf at their respective jobs, but they were in sync from Day 1.

I tried to tell you from day 1 what a great pick Gibby was!! :bag:

I actually bookmarked this thread from a few days before the draft. Went through and read it this morning. All of us (except for Jon who loves everything) thought those first three picks were head scratchers. The only pick we loved was moving up 3 spots to take Brian Branch.

Still can't believe the Packers made that trade with us. Two years in a row making a draft day trade in division.

I actually bookmarked this thread from a few days before the draft. Went through and read it this morning. All of us (except for Jon who loves everything) thought those first three picks were head scratchers. The only pick we loved was moving up 3 spots to take Brian Branch.

Still can't believe the Packers made that trade with us. Two years in a row making a draft day trade in division.

I went though the thread the other day and was laughing.

Gibbs was too small, could not run between the tackles, slips and falls down too easy, drops passes, can`t pass protect, pulled hammy injury prone.

I went though the thread the other day and was laughing.

Gibbs was too small, could not run between the tackles, slips and falls down too easy, drops passes, can`t pass protect, pulled hammy injury prone.

I called him an elite kickoff returner

:lmao:

Not quite no one. I predicted the Lions would target Gibbs and LaPorta was my favorite TE. I was excited about the picks and projected pretty darn close for both. Gibbs underperformed mostly due to a slow start.

Damn, Packers fired Barry as DC. Any chance we can convince them to hire others associated with the 0-16 team? Actually, I wouldn't want them to hire Marinelli; he has a pretty good track record as a DC.

Ooh, I got it! There's a certain DC candidate who's in need of a job, since his term as Philly's de facto DC seems to be coming to an end ...

I love fantasy drafts. Best part of the fantasy season. So with best ball drafting available daily, I do a ton starting in July. Over 100 each of the past two years. So while it isn't documented here, Gibbs was on 80% of those 100+ teams. I loved the pick. I love your OL that much. Was a no brainer at his adp. Otoh, I had exactly 0% LaPorta. You know who said LaPorta was the rare rookie TE who could put up big numbers? Matt Waldman.

During training camp Gibbs was getting some positive buzz. There was a drumbeat suggesting he was gonna play even more than he did, and be a major part of the receiving game. One day one of your beat writers posted a vid of Gibbs motioning wide and beating a CB deep. I'm telling ya the kid ran the most wicked hesitate and go route I've ever seen. In 25 yards he had 10 on the CB. All season I have been waiting to see that play. Sunday would be a good time for it.

Not quite no one. I predicted the Lions would target Gibbs and LaPorta was my favorite TE. I was excited about the picks and projected pretty darn close for both. Gibbs underperformed mostly due to a slow start.
Congrats to you if you thought LaPorta would break records, I never would have imagined.

Since the Detroit Dallas Decker Debacle and subsequent Skipper catch when LaPorta got dinged, I've gotta think the are more schemes for a Lion OL to report and be an option on the goal line. I like a few fun long shots with safer bets each week and have bet, on FanDuel, for any OL to score a TD each week of the playoffs so far, with zip so far. I can't give up now and the odds are up to +5000 this weekend (a bet of $10 returns $510 if it hits). I am also going almost all Lions homer this weekend on the fliers with the Detroit D +1000 for a TD and JAMO +430 for a TD.

I will admit going to the game in person is great for all the hoopla and energy and I would not trade today for anything..but for watching the actual game, concentrating on the play by play, at home on a big screen is better. At the game you get caught up in the crowd, the TV timeouts seemed so long today.
Yesterday's game was probably a better one to get caught up in the crowd. Not just because the crowd was awesome, but the minutiae of the game wasn't a lot of fun. Bucs were killing us statistically until the 4th quarter, and watching the replays and looking at the numbers was making me super nervous. But we never actually trailed, and I probably wouldn't have been worried if I was there yelling with a bunch of other Detroit fans.
Interesting, it felt to me like we were always in control. Being tied at half was annoying but it felt like things were coming much easier for the Lions than the Bucs. I was also in a packed bar that was loud and energetic so maybe that eliminated any worries.

I was concerned but felt the game was somewhat in control. Was worried though about the way Sutton was getting burned.
The reality is Mike Evans is pretty good. So is Ceedee Lamb. So is Brandon Aiyuk. But the Lions have demonstrated they can let an alpha WR1 have a big game and still find a way to win. Even the Dallas game, they were in a position to win. And in hindsight, maybe it was better they lost. Because we got the Rams instead of the Pack.

The key to winning in SF will be the pass rush. The weak link for the 49ers is pass blocking. Purdy doesn't get sacked a lot but if he can get pressured, he will throw picks. That's money in the bank. Lions need to force at least 2 turnovers.

Amon-Ra revealed on his podcast today Craig wasn’t actually supposed to be on the field for the 4th & 1. On the sideline MCDC said go for it and they called for a 12 package that included Reynolds. But when they huddled up the play that came in was a different package. As St Brown lined up at the X and came in motion he saw white shoes at tailback. He was thinking “wait…Jah & Monty don’t wear white shoes, who’s our running back?”

:lol:

ETA

Last edited:
In terms of Holmes picks, I remember being confused more than anything. But I saw enough of his first two drafts to think he probably knew more than me and Mel Kiper COMBINED.

In terms of Holmes picks, I remember being confused more than anything. But I saw enough of his first two drafts to think he probably knew more than me and Mel Kiper COMBINED.
I didn't like the Gibbs pick, and my concerns aren't necessarily assuaged by his rookie-year performance. The issue with first-round RBs is their longevity, as well as the opportunity cost. Saquon had an unbelievable rookie year but looking back now, it was still probably a mistake to take him second overall (although if the alternative was Darnold, it's hard to argue they gave up much in terms of opportunity cost).

I'm not saying it was a terrible pick, and if they make it to the SB you could say it was worth it regardless of what else happens from here on out. I also have no idea who they would have taken if not for Gibbs. Seems like Christian Gonzalez might have helped, or maybe one of the edge rushers who went in the next few picks. It's also impossible to know whether they would have been as strong at RB if they had just kept Swift, who miraculously managed to stay healthy for an entire season, something he was never able to do in Detroit. I'm just saying that, unlike with LaPorta and Branch, I'm still in a wait-and-see mode with Gibbs

Jaylen-Reeves-Maybin is the HIGHEST graded defensive player of any team in the postseason per PFF

97.2 run defense grade
95.9 overall grade

He’s only played 26 defensive snaps, but the NFC ST Pro Bowler has been elite in his situational package.
  • SOLO TACKLES 3
  • ASSISTS 1
  • FORCED FUMBLES 1
  • STOPS 2
  • SACKS 1
  • MISSED TACKLES 0
  • PASSER RATING ALLOWED 87.5

Highest PFF Graded LBs since Week 13 (Min. 100 snaps):

1. DET Jalen Reeves-Maybin - 90.1
2. LAR Ernest Jones - 85.2
3. NOR Demario Davis - 83.0

Reeves-Maybin has been impactful playing 10-20 snaps/game since Week 13.

He also ranks 1st with a 95.1 Run Defense Grade in that span.

He’s always been a special teams ace but it’s been great to see him contribute as the 4th linebacker.

Since the Detroit Dallas Decker Debacle and subsequent Skipper catch when LaPorta got dinged, I've gotta think the are more schemes for a Lion OL to report and be an option on the goal line. I like a few fun long shots with safer bets each week and have bet, on FanDuel, for any OL to score a TD each week of the playoffs so far, with zip so far. I can't give up now and the odds are up to +5000 this weekend (a bet of $10 returns $510 if it hits). I am also going almost all Lions homer this weekend on the fliers with the Detroit D +1000 for a TD and JAMO +430 for a TD.
Or as Brad Allen calls it, the Detroit Dallas Skipper Debacle

I will admit going to the game in person is great for all the hoopla and energy and I would not trade today for anything..but for watching the actual game, concentrating on the play by play, at home on a big screen is better. At the game you get caught up in the crowd, the TV timeouts seemed so long today.
Yesterday's game was probably a better one to get caught up in the crowd. Not just because the crowd was awesome, but the minutiae of the game wasn't a lot of fun. Bucs were killing us statistically until the 4th quarter, and watching the replays and looking at the numbers was making me super nervous. But we never actually trailed, and I probably wouldn't have been worried if I was there yelling with a bunch of other Detroit fans.
Interesting, it felt to me like we were always in control. Being tied at half was annoying but it felt like things were coming much easier for the Lions than the Bucs. I was also in a packed bar that was loud and energetic so maybe that eliminated any worries.

I was concerned but felt the game was somewhat in control. Was worried though about the way Sutton was getting burned.
The reality is Mike Evans is pretty good. So is Ceedee Lamb. So is Brandon Aiyuk. But the Lions have demonstrated they can let an alpha WR1 have a big game and still find a way to win. Even the Dallas game, they were in a position to win. And in hindsight, maybe it was better they lost. Because we got the Rams instead of the Pack.

The key to winning in SF will be the pass rush. The weak link for the 49ers is pass blocking. Purdy doesn't get sacked a lot but if he can get pressured, he will throw picks. That's money in the bank. Lions need to force at least 2 turnovers.
Problem with San Fran is they also have Deebo. And CMC. And Kittle.

Well hopefully not Deebo. But I do think Aiyuk will eat unless Glenn comes up with a way to scheme him out. Clearly Sutton can't hang with these guys one-on-one.

CMC scares me as well, obviously. Hopefully they can keep him in check (relatively speaking) as a runner, but he can hurt you so many ways

Well hopefully not Deebo. But I do think Aiyuk will eat unless Glenn comes up with a way to scheme him out. Clearly Sutton can't hang with these guys one-on-one.

CMC scares me as well, obviously. Hopefully they can keep him in check (relatively speaking) as a runner, but he can hurt you so many ways
No Deebo would be MASSIVE. He's a very unique chess piece.

I woukd be shocked if Deebo does not play. Compared with what guys like Ragnow and Anzalone are playing through, it would say a lot about his toughness if he sits it out.

Users who are viewing this thread