What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Lions: Draft complete. (16 Viewers)

The complex magic of salary cap and the moves the Lions should be working on.

IMO two easiest cuts are Tracey Walker and John Cominski, which will free up about $10 million in cap space ($19 million in salary savings minus $9 million in dead cap money).

Guys I would probably not resign would be Romeo Okwara, CJGJ, Vaitai, and Charles Harris. If the price was right, I might reconsider Vaitai or CJGJ. But their production did not come close to justifying at their current price. They all contribute about $11.3 milllion in dead cap money in 2024, but that is sunk money regardless.

I think Goff is a lock for an extension. Current year is at $33 million cap hit with only $5 million in dead cap. I would target something in the 4-year $160 range with at least one option/voidable year to keep the cap hit around the same level. That gives him a $7 million raise for next season over his existing contract, so effectively is like a $42 million offer for years 2 thru 4. I don't think I am interested in Goff at anything above $45 million per year.

Saint is perhaps the highest priority for an extension, as he earns only $1.25 million next season before becoming a free agent. Now is the time to pay him before he hits the free market and we still have some leverage. I would dangle about a 4-year $80-85 million offer in from of him. That gives him a huge $20 million raise over his current number for next year. He could wait and get a bigger number in the open market next season, but he would have to get a 3-year $80 million contract just to come out even, which is probably close to what his market value will be. I think it would be wise for St. Brown to get the money now and not risk injury or something that might decrease his value. And he is still young enough to have one more huge payday after that contract runs out.

Penei makes a decent amount at $7.67 million, but way under his market value. I would put some feelers out to him, but since we still have an additional option year which of course we will exercise, it is not as urgent. But I would applaud the Lions if they could get something done here.

Iffy and Alim are two pieces we should extend. Both were valuable pieces and are coming to the end of their rookie deals set to make $1.4 and $1.6 million in 2024. I am not sure their market values, but I would try to lock them up for 2 or 3 additional years. But not a priority.

Glasgow needs to be resigned. He want one and deserves a raise. Guessing ww sign him the $4-5.5 million range.

Jonah Jackson is a tougher one. It sounds like he is looking for as big of a contract as possible. Maybe for $6-7 million, we resign him. I am guessing he goes somewhere else for $9-10 million.

Probably pick up Josh Reynolds for another year in the $3 million range.

The Lions currently have an estimated $60 plus million in cap space for next season. With the two cuts that goes up to $70 million. I don't think the Goff extension will not impact the cap space that much if they structure it right. Depending on the structure, St. Brown's deal would take about $15 to $20 million from the cap space. Iffy and Alim could eat up another $10 to 15 million together. After all this, we would be looking at having maybe $30 million for free agents. Probably missing some things, but that is my first cut at the off-season moves.
I agree with everything here except that I think Alim is a major priority. He's our best interior defender and probably the 2nd best defensive player on the team. We don't have anyone else with the athleticism he has in the middle and who can generate interior pressure. Those players are extremely difficult to find and he needs to be made a building block of this team. Also, it seems like we might have finally unlocked Iffy and he could signed longterm at a value. His poor early career play should limit his cost but he showed the potential to be a difference maker.
That is a fair point.

Goff very well could get $50 million but the floor is probably $45 million. I don't think there's a chance in hell he would take $40 million.

Goff very well could get $50 million but the floor is probably $45 million. I don't think there's a chance in hell he would take $40 million.

His career has been revitalized in Detriot, he may give them a discount to keep talent around him. I doubt it, but you never know.

If the Lions organization wants to mess this up the quickest way possible and go back to the same old Lions then this would be the way to do it. Start pissing off your best players by low balling them on contracts, because then no one will want to play for them.

His career has been revitalized in Detriot, he may give them a discount to keep talent around him. I doubt it, but you never know.

If the Lions organization wants to mess this up the quickest way possible and go back to the same old Lions then this would be the way to do it. Start pissing off your best players by low balling them on contracts, because then no one will want to play for them.

Overpaying for talent is the quickest way to become the same old Lions. Goff is not winning without a top notch OL, a great run game, recievers who run percise routes, and a great OC. No one in the NFL thinks Goff is in the same tier as Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Hurts or Jackson. Goff in tge open market would not snag $50M, because everyone knows his limitations and they are significant. McVay did not want to live within those limitations.

Last edited:

Overpaying for talent is the quickest way to become the same old Lions. Goff is not winning without a top notch OL, a great run game, recievers who run percise routes, and a great OC. No one in the NFL thinks Goff is in the same tier as Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Hurts or Jackson. Goff in tge open market would not snag $50M, because everyone knows his limitations and they are significant. McVay did not want to live within those limitations.

No one does. Top tier qbs are about to blow by the 60 million dollar a year figure and you want to pay a guy that is a step below that 66 percent. It won't work. Every qb not named Mahomes has limitations.

Goff would get at least 50 million on the open market, you just want to keep telling yourself he wouldn't. All the qbs need good lines, and weapons. The OC doesn't factor into this because they don't count against the cap.

I'm not saying it will change my opinion of Ben Johnson, but this anonymous leak war with the Commanders that he's gotten himself into is dumb for both sides. Even if they were leaking false or disparaging info about him, he should have taken the high road: "I enjoyed meeting with the Commanders and they have an exciting future, but my heart remains in Detroit." Whoever thought they were helping him by counter-leaking (his agent, I guess) is dumb. Why plant the seed in future employers' minds that some of the allegations against you might be true, or that you're overly concerned with how you're portrayed in the media?

On the other hand, maybe this will make it more likely he stays with Detroit beyond next season. I take it back: Leak away, Ben!

Goff is a very good QB, there are a host of teams that would kill for a Goff level QB. Hopefully the Lions can sign him for a bit less than what he'd get on the open market, because msudaisy is right he's probably closer to 50mm than 40mm.

I'm not saying it will change my opinion of Ben Johnson, but this anonymous leak war with the Commanders that he's gotten himself into is dumb for both sides. Even if they were leaking false or disparaging info about him, he should have taken the high road: "I enjoyed meeting with the Commanders and they have an exciting future, but my heart remains in Detroit." Whoever thought they were helping him by counter-leaking (his agent, I guess) is dumb. Why plant the seed in future employers' minds that some of the allegations against you might be true, or that you're overly concerned with how you're portrayed in the media?

On the other hand, maybe this will make it more likely he stays with Detroit beyond next season. I take it back: Leak away, Ben!

Ben Johnson is not seasoned in the art of PR. You would think the Washington Commanders ownership would be. Most people saw through the initial smear by the Commanders, so yeah Ben should have just not said anything or taken the high road.and would have come out looking better. Not everyone is made to be a head coach and Ben has reach his level which he really excels.

Ben Johnson is not seasoned in the art of PR. You would think the Washington Commanders ownership would be. Most people saw through the initial smear by the Commanders, so yeah Ben should have just not said anything or taken the high road.and would have come out looking better. Not everyone is made to be a head coach and Ben has reach his level which he really excels.
No idea who his agent is, but this feels like the kind of thing an inexperienced agent would do: Think it was their job to defend their client at all costs, without realizing that stuff like this is counterproductive.

I'm guessing Don Yee doesn't make this kind of mistake

2024 NFL offseason calendar: Important dates, deadlines, events for Detroit Lions​

February

Feb. 20 — Window opens to franchise tag/transition tag players

Looking at the Lions’ list of free agents, it doesn’t appear they have anyone they would consider for the franchise tag.

Feb. 27 - March 4 — NFL Scouting Combine

March

March 5 — Deadline to franchise tag/transition tag players

If the Lions want to franchise tag/transition tag a player, they must do so by March 5.

March 11-13 — “Legal tampering” period

Starting at Noon ET, teams can start to negotiate with agents of players who are set to become unrestricted free agents. This is where we often see the first deals come to fruition. While a player cannot officially sign during this two-day window, they can “agree to terms” with teams. Last year, the Lions were able to acquire Cameron Sutton, Emmanuel Moseley, and David Montgomery during the tampering period, so don’t be surprised to see some early action again this year.

March 13 — HAPPY NEW LEAGUE YEAR + start of free agency

Starting at 4 p.m. ET, every player who was set to become a free agent officially becomes one. They are then free to talk to, visit, and sign with any other team. Players who “agreed to terms” during the tampering period can now officially sign.

March 24-27 — League owners meetings

The first of two offseason owners meetings, where new NFL rules will be discussed, along with other pressing league issues.

April

Mid-April — New Lions uniforms

April 15 — Lions can start offseason workouts

Prior to the start of Organized Team Activities (OTAs), teams are permitted to start Phase 1 of their offseason workouts, which mostly consist of strength, conditioning, and rehab.

April 17 — Deadline for “top-30” visits with NFL Draft prospects

Teams are allowed to host a total of 30 NFL Draft prospects at their team facility for interviews, medical testing, and timing. Those must be concluded by April 17—about a week before the draft.

April 19 — Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets

The Lions have six restricted free agents. If Detroit offers any of them a tender, the player has until April 19 to either sign the offer sheet, hold out, or find an offer from another team—giving Detroit the opportunity to match.

April 25-27 — NFL Draft IN DETROIT

Thursday April 25 — 8 p.m. ET —
First round
Friday, April 26 — 7 p.m. ET — Second and third rounds
Saturday, April 27 — 12 p.m. ET — Fourth through seventh rounds

May

May 2 — Deadline to exercise fifth-year option for 2021 first-round picks

Penei Sewell is the Lions’ eligible player for exercising a fifth-year option.

May 3-6 or May 10-13 — Rookie minicamp

For the past two years, the Lions held rookie minicamp in the second window.

Mid-May — NFL schedule release

While the schedule used to be released in April, since COVID, they have released it in May. Last year it was May 11, the previous year it was May 12, and the year before it was May 13.

Late-May, Early-June — OTAs + mandatory minicamp

Teams get 10 voluntary, unpadded practices during a four-week period of the offseason. Additionally, they get a three-day set of mandatory practices.

Last year, Lions OTAs/minicamp stretched from May 23 to June 15.

July

Late-July — Training camp

Last year, training camp began on July 23. The full training camp schedule is typically released late June or early July.

Why plant the seed in future employers' minds that some of the allegations against you might be true, or that you're overly concerned with how you're portrayed in the media?

Yes, I hope that the other GMs get tired of his act and leave him to rot in Detroit.

Good chance there will be no discount, but you never know as he is already set for life if he never played another down. Goff said he would love to stay here forever but that is up to "his agent and the team"

Reality for Goff is there is nowhere better suited for his game than Detroit right now in all ways, o-line, talented receivers, HC, plays at least 9 games inside, and fan support. Also is he goes somewhere else I doubt he would get more than a 3 year deal after next season.

Goff is a very good QB, there are a host of teams that would kill for a Goff level QB. Hopefully the Lions can sign him for a bit less than what he'd get on the open market, because msudaisy is right he's probably closer to 50mm than 40mm.
I'd guess they wind up somewhere around 3 years, 45 million per year. I think Goff recognizes that he's got it good in Detroit, and isn't going to push for a market-setting deal.

True, when I watched interviews with Ben I have a hard time picturing him commanding and managing a NFL locker room. That is probably the most difficult job for a new HC. Ben is great a that he does, many OCs and DCs are, but that does not make a good HC in the NFL.

Guys like DC, Harbaugh, Tomlin were never OCs or DCs.

Good chance there will be no discount, but you never know as he is already set for life if he never played another down. Goff said he would love to stay here forever but that is up to "his agent and the team"

Reality for Goff is there is nowhere better suited for his game than Detroit right now in all ways, o-line, talented receivers, HC, plays at least 9 games inside, and fan support. Also is he goes somewhere else I doubt he would get more than a 3 year deal after next season.

I agree, but it just isn't the way the NFL and qb position operate with regards to their contracts.

The new deals for top 10ish qbs always set a new market. Is Goff the next Brady and takes less to stay where he wants and keep talent coming in? Maybe, but history says it is extremely unkikely.

I agree, but it just isn't the way the NFL and qb position operate with regards to their contracts.

The new deals for top 10ish qbs always set a new market. Is Goff the next Brady and takes less to stay where he wants and keep talent coming in? Maybe, but history says it is extremely unkikely.
If I were Jared Goff, and had watched the way the Rams tossed me aside, I wouldn't take a discount either.

(Also, huge factor with Brady was that his wife made way more than he did)

I agree, maybe the Lions should change and reset the market. :wink:

Honestly I like Goff, and as good as Goff has been here I don`t see teams lining up after next season to give him a 5 year market setting deal.

Goff has already telegraphed what kind of deal he’s going to sign. After saying how much he loves it in Detroit he concludes with “It’s not up to me.”

His agency is going to wring all they can from this one; he’ll never have this much leverage again. It’s not out of his hands, he could absolutely instruct them to structure it in a way that allows the team to add talent via free agency. But realistically why is he expected to altruistic?

You think Penei is signing for less than the top of the market? Does anyone doubt ARSB will get a 9-figure deal when it’s his turn? Hutch is a few years out but no way he’s giving a hometown discount. It’s unrealistic to think Goff is going to settle for less than $200M with an APY north of $50M. Maybe they back end it to give them more near term flexibility but he deserves to get paid.

The cap goes up every year. They have enough room to take care of the expiring contracts (Goff, McNeil, St Brown) and several years of rookie deals left for Aidan, Gibbs, LaPorta, et al. It’s all manageable but still takes a lot of finesse to do it right.

If I were Jared Goff, and had watched the way the Rams tossed me aside, I wouldn't take a discount either.

(Also, huge factor with Brady was that his wife made way more than he did)
Hmm, this gives me an idea: What if the Lions set up Goff with Giselle?

As an added bonus, every time the Lions appeared in a major game on Fox, we'd get to see how Brady would react when they cut to her in the luxury box

Brad Holmes season wrap-up press conference

This is what I want to tell really our fans is it's only going to get better. We're only gonna get better. I don't want anybody to think that this was a one shot Cinderella magical journey that just happened. No, it's real. this is exactly what was supposed to happen. I understand that based on history from what's happened in the past. Like I understand you have a season like this. It's easy to feel like this was kind of a one shot magical, lucky, cute story, which I'm tired of hearing. It was it was none of that. It's easy to think that but no, every move that me and Dan make, it has been made to sustain what we are building. I'll say every single move we make and every single move we do not make is to sustain what we have been building. So it's real.

Brad Holmes season wrap-up press conference

This is what I want to tell really our fans is it's only going to get better. We're only gonna get better. I don't want anybody to think that this was a one shot Cinderella magical journey that just happened. No, it's real. this is exactly what was supposed to happen. I understand that based on history from what's happened in the past. Like I understand you have a season like this. It's easy to feel like this was kind of a one shot magical, lucky, cute story, which I'm tired of hearing. It was it was none of that. It's easy to think that but no, every move that me and Dan make, it has been made to sustain what we are building. I'll say every single move we make and every single move we do not make is to sustain what we have been building. So it's real.
This is the kind of thing that the SOLs would say and we would all roll our eyes. But now, pass the pitcher of Kool-Aid because I am IN!!!!!

The sustainable part is why they will not be setting the new bar on a QB contract. KC has Mahomes locked up for $45 million for many years to come. You don't compete for super bowls by paying much more for an inferior QB. Hockinson wanting to set the bar for contracts and it was goodbye. Goff will come to reasonable terms.

Frank Ragnow is my biggest concern. He sounds like he is evaluating if it is best for him to continue with the amount of pain he plays through.

The sustainable part is why they will not be setting the new bar on a QB contract. KC has Mahomes locked up for $45 million for many years to come. You don't compete for super bowls by paying much more for an inferior QB. Hockinson wanting to set the bar for contracts and it was goodbye. Goff will come to reasonable terms.

Frank Ragnow is my biggest concern. He sounds like he is evaluating if it is best for him to continue with the amount of pain he plays through.

Rags is considering retirement because of the inoperable toe injury, the guy is in constant pain.

Sad because he is only 27 and at center could play another 5-6 years at the same level. Hopefully he has a couple season left to play.

I made the mistake of clicking on one of the BJ rumor stories on the Google homepage and now it serves me up a "new" one every time I open my browser. I use quotes there because none of the stories are actually new, just rehashes of what's already been published with some speculation thrown in.

If I saw Johnson in a bar and offered to buy him a drink in exchange for the real story, that'd be interesting. Anything short of that is just a waste of time. He's going to be with the Lions for at least the next year, and he probably will never coach the Commanders

We must pay Goff. There is no way around it. What Holmes said yesterday has me a bit concerned.
The window is small. In a few years many good young players on this roster will be a due a raise.

I don't want to hear about building. The building was accelerated with how well they did this year.
Now is the time to go get a dominant pass rusher. Trade that 1st rounder for a DE or a corner that will make a difference.

Just sucks the draft is in Detroit this year. lol.

We must pay Goff. There is no way around it. What Holmes said yesterday has me a bit concerned.
The window is small. In a few years many good young players on this roster will be a due a raise.

I don't want to hear about building. The building was accelerated with how well they did this year.
Now is the time to go get a dominant pass rusher. Trade that 1st rounder for a DE or a corner that will make a difference.

The window is not small. As long as we have Brad bringing in quality players in the draft and have Dan running the show getting everything out of that talent, we will be putting out real contenders. It always takes a bit of luck to make it to the Super Bowl, but this team will be kicking people in the teeth for years to come.

The window is not small. As long as we have Brad bringing in quality players in the draft and have Dan running the show getting everything out of that talent, we will be putting out real contenders. It always takes a bit of luck to make it to the Super Bowl, but this team will be kicking people in the teeth for years to come.

The super bowl window is small. A good gm and coach will keep you in the playoff picture year after year, but it doesn't mean they will be a super bowl contender.

Think of Tomlin and the Steelers or even Harbaugh and thr Ravens.

The super bowl window is small. A good gm and coach will keep you in the playoff picture year after year, but it doesn't mean they will be a super bowl contender.

21 playoff appearances, 20 playoff wins, 3 super bowl championships? You seem to post to me just to argue.

21 playoff appearances, 20 playoff wins, 3 super bowl championships? You seem to post to me just to argue.

Sorry we disagree.

Sorry we disagree.
You disagree when I say the sky is blue. Great organization find a way to consistantly put contenders out there.

adam schefty seems pissed about the ben johnson thing....i love it
Saw Schefter’s interview and he looked like he was coming off a weekend bender. Grumpy, hadn’t shaved and sort of disheveled.

If BJ had called off the interview this way it was a jerky move. I remember something similar happening to me. Took a vacation day to travel to a job interview and was told that they had filled the position.

Said that they had tried to reach me to let me know that day. But I had already left. This was in the time before cell phones. I was pissed because of having burned a vacation day,

Getting back to Ben he had an obligation to let them know before they got on the plane. Maybe his agent didn’t follow through.

Saw Schefter’s interview and he looked like he was coming off a weekend bender. Grumpy, hadn’t shaved and sort of disheveled.

If BJ had called off the interview this way it was a jerky move. I remember something similar happening to me. Took a vacation day to travel to a job interview and was told that they had filled the position.

Said that they had tried to reach me to let me know that day. But I had already left. This was in the time before cell phones. I was pissed because of having burned a vacation day,

Getting back to Ben he had an obligation to let them know before they got on the plane. Maybe his agent didn’t follow through.

He just lost a huge game and only had one night to sleep on it. That weighed heavily on his decision.

The Athletic had an article today about the hiring of Dan Quinn that touched heavily on Johnson and him telling them in the air that he was not taking the position.

That's what really stuck in the Commanders craw, I'm gathering. The article sounded like it was a puff piece for the Commanders, by the way. There really is team and industry capture of journalism these days. It really struck me reading this article how in the tank for the Commanders the journalists were.

That has little to do with Johnson or Detroit, but was just an observation I made while reading. I was like, "Holy ****. This reads like a press relations release from the Commanders."

Sad.

Sorry we disagree.
You disagree when I say the sky is blue. Great organization find a way to consistantly put contenders out there.

Not everything is about you.

I love the job Holmes has done and give him full credit for nailing the past few drafts, but a reminder that draft success has a lot to do with luck, and is not necessarily "sticky". The Seahawks went on al all-time heater from 2010-12 (Thomas, Sherman, Russ, Wagner, Wright, Tate) and build the foundation for their Super Bowl teams. But their picks in subsequent years weren't nearly as good, even though it was the same guys making them. The same trend has played out with other teams.

I hope Holmes' run continues, but it's by no means guaranteed.

The Athletic had an article today about the hiring of Dan Quinn that touched heavily on Johnson and him telling them in the air that he was not taking the position.

That's what really stuck in the Commanders craw, I'm gathering. The article sounded like it was a puff piece for the Commanders, by the way. There really is team and industry capture of journalism these days. It really struck me reading this article how in the tank for the Commanders the journalists were.

That has little to do with Johnson or Detroit, but was just an observation I made while reading. I was like, "Holy ****. This reads like a press relations release from the Commanders."

Sad.
As a fan of both teams, I absolutely hate this whole story. These people need to realize that getting their version out there in the press does not help the organization and it doesn't help Johnson. In fact, it makes it harder for Washington to hire good people and harder for Johnson to get a HC job. I still think he'll eventually get one if he wants it, but it will be in spite of stuff like this

Why does Schefter who is just a reporter care?

All he has to say is BJ has withdrawn his name from consideration. Does not need to go on about how this might impact his future in the NFL.

I love the job Holmes has done and give him full credit for nailing the past few drafts, but a reminder that draft success has a lot to do with luck, and is not necessarily "sticky". The Seahawks went on al all-time heater from 2010-12 (Thomas, Sherman, Russ, Wagner, Wright, Tate) and build the foundation for their Super Bowl teams. But their picks in subsequent years weren't nearly as good, even though it was the same guys making them. The same trend has played out with other teams.

Holmes has done a very good job for sure.

Teams getting players like St Brown in the 4th, and Puca in the 5th is more good fortune than great drafting. If players drafted in 4-5-6th rounds turn into stars the GM are gurus. But if they were that highly thought of in the first place they would have been first or second round picks as team would not want to lose them.

Rams had 3 5th round picks and Puca was their third choice in the 5th, now he would be their first rd pick in a do over.

Not talking just about Holmes, but all GMs.

Teams getting players like St Brown in the 4th, and Puca in the 5th is more good fortune than great drafting. If players drafted in 4-5-6th rounds turn into stars the GM are gurus. But if they were that highly thought of in the first place they would have been first or second round picks as team would not want to lose them.

Rams had 3 5th round picks and Puca was their third choice in the 5th, now he would be their first rd pick in a do over.

Yes and no. Obviously, if the Pats had truly known what they had in Brady, they would have drafted him earlier and started him right away. But in his column this week, Peter King was interviewing Shanahan about when they drafted Purdy, and it wasn't an accident that they took him. They really liked him, and had a good feeling he would still be there in the last round, but also suspected he would sign with a different team if he went undrafted (which he apparently later confirmed he would have done). So they kind of played it perfectly.

Every draft pick is a tradeoff, and taking ARSB earlier would have cost the Lions someone else they liked. Even if teams don't fully realize how good those late-round guys will end up being, they often do have some idea, and sometimes they wait because they know he'll still be available.

And yes, sometimes they get lucky. The Ravens really wanted Calvin Austin but got snaked by the Steelers, so they took Isaiah Likely. (Not saying that's an all-timer, just the one example that came to mind)

Yes and no. Obviously, if the Pats had truly known what they had in Brady, they would have drafted him earlier and started him right away. But in his column this week, Peter King was interviewing Shanahan about when they drafted Purdy, and it wasn't an accident that they took him. They really liked him, and had a good feeling he would still be there in the last round, but also suspected he would sign with a different team if he went undrafted (which he apparently later confirmed he would have done). So they kind of played it perfectly.

Every draft pick is a tradeoff, and taking ARSB earlier would have cost the Lions someone else they liked. Even if teams don't fully realize how good those late-round guys will end up being, they often do have some idea, and sometimes they wait because they know he'll still be available.

And yes, sometimes they get lucky. The Ravens really wanted Calvin Austin but got snaked by the Steelers, so they took Isaiah Likely. (Not saying that's an all-timer, just the one example that came to mind)

We see teams trade up all the time when they think a player has potential star value and think they will be gone. In the NFL you never can assume a player will be there 32 picks down the road in later rounds. I am sure many teams were looking at LaPorta thinking he would be there later than he was picked. If teams like a player they take him.

Just saying nobody thought St Brown or Puca would be stars, if they did they would not taken a chance and waited till the 4th and 5th. Usually teams are hoping these players make the squad as special teamers. When these types of picks pan out it makes your draft golden.

We see teams trade up all the time when they think a player has potential star value and think they will be gone. In the NFL you never can assume a player will be there 32 picks down the road in later rounds. I am sure many teams were looking at LaPorta thinking he would be there later than he was picked. If teams like a player they take him.

Just saying nobody thought St Brown or Puca would be stars, if they did they would not taken a chance and waited till the 4th and 5th. Usually teams are hoping these players make the squad as special teamers. When these types of picks pan out it makes your draft golden.
I guess my point is that you need to be both lucky and good. I'm sure lots of teams liked LaPorta, but they didn't have the foresight to take him before the Lions did. I also bet every year teams walk out of the draft thinking, "I can't believe that guy fell to us in the 5th!" and then it turns out he should never have been drafted

That sounds like something Dan Campbell would say.

Windows are tiny in the NFL. The process is intentionally designed that way. The only way to trick the boogey man is with an elite QB.

The Lions are between a rock and a hard place with a guy like Goff at the helm (and having to pay him, no less). It's kinda like bringing a knife to a gun fight the way the NFL is currently landscaped with the best teams in the NFL having top QBs and also strong Ds.

I guess my point is that you need to be both lucky and good. I'm sure lots of teams liked LaPorta, but they didn't have the foresight to take him before the Lions did. I also bet every year teams walk out of the draft thinking, "I can't believe that guy fell to us in the 5th!" and then it turns out he should never have been drafted

There is some luck, but Homes seems to have his finger on the pulse of the other GMs. The way Holmes played last years draft was like an orchestra. it is hard to say if the Lions were targeting Whitherspoon or any of the other early picks, but when we were up for 6th, Gibbs was clearly the guy he wanted. He traded back to 12, picked up the second pick. All the experts thought Gibbs would have lasted to 18, but Holmes knew otherwise so he snatched him up there. In the second round he was really eyeing LaPorta and Branch as his top two guys even before day 2 began, and he managed to get them both. Brad also managed to stay put and get the guys he wanted in Hutch and Penei and pulled off the Jamo move which is finally paying off.

The Lions are not used to drafting this well. Holmes has easily hit on three of the top five drafts in Lions history. Maybe not saying much, because outside a few huge hits the Lions strikeout far more than other teams. But in Holmes case all 22 of the players he drafted are still on the team. Holmes' method in a very complex process of talent/player evaluation and navigating the draft has proven to work. He will have his misses, like it seems Levi might be one, but it is not just luck. Brad Holmes is damn good at his job and he absolutely loves it.

Building through solid draft, keeping salaries reasonable, not getting sucked into bidding wars, getting players who are passionate about playing and are intensely competitive make success sustainable. The Lions have a nice stable of young all-stars who we should be able to lock up for many years to come. The next five years look very very good for the Lions.

Users who are viewing this thread