What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Las Vegas Raiders thread - waiting to see some football! (5 Viewers)

Maybe I'm being touchy with semantics...

But it's interesting to take a step back and see how credit is attributed to Kliff for working with Mahomes, Murray, and Caleb. Whereas as Getsy is only successful because of Aaron.
Aaron was there and great before getsy

But it's interesting to take a step back and see how credit is attributed to Kliff for working with Mahomes, Murray, and Caleb. Whereas as Getsy is only successful because of Aaron.
So Getsy didnt try and force his way of playing offense onto Rogers like people are worried he does .

Yes, but he was also on a severe statistical downslope in his mid-thirties, until reigniting for back-to-back monster MVP seasons in the two years Getsy was the Passing Game Coordinator. That may have been a coincidence, but it did happen.

I'm not saying that I think Kliff or Getsy are better than one or the other. I'm a football fan, but far from an expert in ranking OC's past accomplishments or forecasting how they will be in the future. I was just commenting on how different the narratives seem to be around the two.

It has been reported that reason Kingsbury withdrew his from consideration was the length of the contract. Kingsbury wanted a 3 year contract and Mork was only willing to give him two years. Standard contracts are 3 years, according to Adam Schefter. Also, if I heard correctly Kingsbury was still getting money from the Cards that would offset what the Raiders had to pay.

Does this indicate a lack of confidence in AP by Mork? Or is it a lack of confidence in Kingsbury from Mork? Very strange

Does this indicate a lack of confidence in AP by Mork? Or is it a lack of confidence in Kingsbury from Mork? Very strange
Maybe a lack of confidence in Kliff. Guy hasn't done much to be bragging about for a long time. He was passing-game helper guy kinda consultant at USC last year, sat out a year, and has been fired multiple times, and never consistently won anywhere.

You have to go back like 5 years in the Shark Pool to find people saying anything other than AWFUL things about this guy. :ROFLMAO:

And I was cool with him coming here as an OC, but mainly because he is experienced and young. I really have no idea if he would be a good play caller. I am really wait-and-see on the assistants. Just because I have been wrong so much.

But you know what, the LAST thing Coach Pierce needs is a coordinator who thinks he should probably still be a head coach in the NFL. And I am not getting a humble, aw shucks, just happy to have a job vibe from Kliff.

OR: Kliff might think the best way to a HC job is tying himself to Drake Maye. Really, if I was Kliff's agent, that's what I would tell him to do. Look at Blobby Slowik. One year with CJ Stroud, and look how smart Bobby Slowik is. :ROFLMAO: If Maye kills it, then Kliff is back in the game.

It has been reported that reason Kingsbury withdrew his from consideration was the length of the contract. Kingsbury wanted a 3 year contract and Mork was only willing to give him two years. Standard contracts are 3 years, according to Adam Schefter. Also, if I heard correctly Kingsbury was still getting money from the Cards that would offset what the Raiders had to pay.

I wonder how long all of the new contracts are for. If they’re all for 2 years, this makes more sense. 🤷‍♂️

The details of what actually happened would be interesting and we may never know for sure what really happened.

Wouldn't any money he gets from a new team he signs with get offset and reduce what the Cards have to pay him?

The Cards deal probably ends this year or next year. I wonder if that factored in to what salary he wanted in the third year?

Maybe a lack of confidence in Kliff. Guy hasn't done much to be bragging about for a long time. He was passing-game helper guy kinda consultant at USC last year, sat out a year, and has been fired multiple times, and never consistently won anywhere.

You have to go back like 5 years in the Shark Pool to find people saying anything other than AWFUL things about this guy. :ROFLMAO:

And I was cool with him coming here as an OC, but mainly because he is experienced and young. I really have no idea if he would be a good play caller. I am really wait-and-see on the assistants. Just because I have been wrong so much.

But you know what, the LAST thing Coach Pierce needs is a coordinator who thinks he should probably still be a head coach in the NFL. And I am not getting a humble, aw shucks, just happy to have a job vibe from Kliff.

OR: Kliff might think the best way to a HC job is tying himself to Drake Maye. Really, if I was Kliff's agent, that's what I would tell him to do. Look at Blobby Slowik. One year with CJ Stroud, and look how smart Bobby Slowik is. :ROFLMAO: If Maye kills it, then Kliff is back in the game.

The details of what actually happened would be interesting and we may never know for sure what really happened.

Wouldn't any money he gets from a new team he signs with get offset and reduce what the Cards have to pay him?

The Cards deal probably ends this year or next year. I wonder if that factored in to what salary he wanted in the third year?
That’s what I’m hearing as well. He wanted money guaranteed past his second year after the Cards finished paying him off. The Commanders are willing to do it and for whatever reason the Raiders weren’t.

My take on Kingsbury is simple: Sometimes your first choice isn’t always your best choice, just ask my ex-wife…

I can only use my experience working any job ive ever worked . I would normally start out learning a new job as anyone would. I would make mistakes , sometimes the same mistakes more than several times as i learned the different nuances of the job. Eventually over time i learned from my mistakes . Then one day i would have an epiphany and everything seemed to make sense and the job became so easy it was laughable thinking back how hard it was at first . Even tho i knew the job so well it would still take a learning curve if i worked doing the same thing for a new company . I had to learn the way the new company did things , i had to learn to work with new people with different ideas and expectations. It seemed difficult again even tho i was doing the same thing .

I can only imagine working as a coach for different teams time and time again , it has to be difficult as the whole team, city, media and fans are watching your every move and criticizing your body of work , not much wiggle room for trial and error . Thats the point where you have to look at the person not the work , is the person right for the job, do they fit in ,do they get along with everyone ? Will they last if things dont click immediately (see McGoofy for and example ) or even after given a real chance ? Some people just arent meant to work for certain companies , or in this case ,teams . Its both a professional and social relationship , you gotta have both working to fit in. AP is the right guy for the Raiders , maybe Getsy just fits in with the Raiders and didnt with the Bears , as it seems he fit in great with GB . (fingers crossed)

Can Getsy be worse than Bo?
Possibly. But I think The whole situation was a bad one
Bo got a hard call up. Take over an offense that isn't "yours" (there isn't a huge long history of him working with McD either) mid season and try to do something with it. You have to work with that system and try to make adjustments as you go. I didn't see any reason why from what we saw that we should have kept him but at the same time it should not define him as not being a potential OC one day.

One thing that Getsy certainly has on Bo is experience.

Excited about the QB watch and coaching discussions for the 2024 Raiders. Antonio Pierce's mention sparks interest, considering his leadership qualities. What impact do you think a coach like AP could have on the team's dynamics and QB development? Keen to hear thoughts on potential fits and leadership styles that could elevate the Raiders next season.
Besides leadership, where the players clearly feel empowered and play hard under him.... AP is bringing the old school Raider culture back that we have really lost over the years. The gritty, "ill intent", swash buckling, "Pillaging just for fun. He'll knock you 'round and upside down, And laugh when he's conquered and won." basically the opposite of the no fun, no talking, sour puss, grumpy old man, overly critical having everyone walk on eggshells "Patriot Way" that McD tried to import.

That is exciting as a fan but in terms of organizational psychology reinstalling that culture can have a real and immediate impact. It is something that frees the players up and energizes them. The celebrating in the locker room with cigars is more than just 'cool' it breeds community and bonding which in turn helps foster a team playing together. When you enjoy being around your colleagues and like them- you are less likely to be selfish and more likely to be a team player.

I think the mistake some people will and have made is thinking of AP as a shallow cheerleader type of guy but I see a very focused and driven agenda from him every time I hear him speak and that I read quotes.

Excited about the QB watch and coaching discussions for the 2024 Raiders. Antonio Pierce's mention sparks interest, considering his leadership qualities. What impact do you think a coach like AP could have on the team's dynamics and QB development? Keen to hear thoughts on potential fits and leadership styles that could elevate the Raiders next season.
Besides leadership, where the players clearly feel empowered and play hard under him.... AP is bringing the old school Raider culture back that we have really lost over the years. The gritty, "ill intent", swash buckling, "Pillaging just for fun. He'll knock you 'round and upside down, And laugh when he's conquered and won." basically the opposite of the no fun, no talking, sour puss, grumpy old man, overly critical having everyone walk on eggshells "Patriot Way" that McD tried to import.

That is exciting as a fan but in terms of organizational psychology reinstalling that culture can have a real and immediate impact. It is something that frees the players up and energizes them. The celebrating in the locker room with cigars is more than just 'cool' it breeds community and bonding which in turn helps foster a team playing together. When you enjoy being around your colleagues and like them- you are less likely to be selfish and more likely to be a team player.

I think the mistake some people will and have made is thinking of AP as a shallow cheerleader type of guy but I see a very focused and driven agenda from him every time I hear him speak and that I read quotes.
Agree. I've also seen some people compare him to Dan Campbell. Maybe some things are similar, but based on what we saw with his in-game decisions, AP is calculated and pretty conservative and not a throw caution to the wind and go on tons of fourth downs guy, and he is nowhere near Campbell in that regard. AP seems to have a good combination of being able to motivate and let the players have fun, but also being smart when needed.

Bo got a hard call up. Take over an offense that isn't "yours" (there isn't a huge long history of him working with McD either) mid season and try to do something with it. You have to work with that system and try to make adjustments as you go. I didn't see any reason why from what we saw that we should have kept him but at the same time it should not define him as not being a potential OC one day.

Agreed. You said it better than i

Agreed. You said it better than i
Well..... yea.

;)

I'm all about letting AOC compete, but need to go after someone else to compete with. Kid improved this year, for a 4th round rookie thrown into the fire. Dare I say, with the way our defense has improved, we just need to get over that 24 point hump, and that's what was frustrating about this team this year, the way the offense took a step back. Surely some of that is play calling and some is QB play.

I'm all about letting AOC compete, but need to go after someone else to compete with. Kid improved this year, for a 4th round rookie thrown into the fire. Dare I say, with the way our defense has improved, we just need to get over that 24 point hump, and that's what was frustrating about this team this year, the way the offense took a step back. Surely some of that is play calling and some is QB play.
IMO the last game of the season vs the Donkos was what we will see on a regular next season , the team finally gelled and put together a complete game from start to finish .

Let’s all give the man a chance. If AP and Davante like him he must have some good qualities and a solid plan and attitude that falls in line with the new Raiders and AP’s vision.
His track record isn’t great but we all struggle and fail at some point at something in our lives. Getsy is out for redemption, there’s plenty of motivation right there. Honestly, I knew nothing about the guy until last week. He’s a Raider now so he gets my support. And FWIW Albert Breer said in a recent interview that Getsy is well respected amongst the NFL community, coaches, GMs etc, so we’ll see. Time will tell.

I was reading up on a few articles about Kliff leaving. One suggested the strong possibility of the Commanders trading up with the Bears to get Caleb. I am wondering if as they were working on the contract, the Commanders reached out to him and basically said as much and that they wanted him to coach him there. That information would mean that Bears are keeping Fields (no trade for us) and that he would have the most hyped rookie QB since... who? Luck? Of whom he is already familiar with versus a Raider QB situation that without the possibility of tradeing for Fields becomes very murky and shaky.

Now I haven't seen anything that has said this but reading between the lines, I am thinking that the negotiations fell through not because of a hang up on details of the contract but the Commanders reached out with a scenario that he liked better.... building his offense around Caleb.

I was reading up on a few articles about Kliff leaving. One suggested the strong possibility of the Commanders trading up with the Bears to get Caleb. I am wondering if as they were working on the contract, the Commanders reached out to him and basically said as much and that they wanted him to coach him there. That information would mean that Bears are keeping Fields (no trade for us) and that he would have the most hyped rookie QB since... who? Luck? Of whom he is already familiar with versus a Raider QB situation that without the possibility of tradeing for Fields becomes very murky and shaky.

Now I haven't seen anything that has said this but reading between the lines, I am thinking that the negotiations fell through not because of a hang up on details of the contract but the Commanders reached out with a scenario that he liked better.... building his offense around Caleb.
I also heard that magic johnson was the pitch man.

Very possible. If the Bears trade down to 2 I don't think that definitely means they are sticking with Fields though. Even if the Commanders stay at 2 they could take Maye or Daniels which is more appealing than the Raiders QB situation. Certainly possible the Commanders situation was more appealing to him whether they trade up to 1 for Caleb or not.

Very possible. If the Bears trade down to 2 I don't think that definitely means they are sticking with Fields though. Even if the Commanders stay at 2 they could take Maye or Daniels which is more appealing than the Raiders QB situation. Certainly possible the Commanders situation was more appealing to him whether they trade up to 1 for Caleb or not.
Hell, they could trade down again and collect #1's and #2's as far as the eye can see.

Grab Harrison and a top Tackle, a top inside OL and add more weapons to put around Fields. The Bear OL was mediocre at best. Pump that up and give him another target like Harrison? I would roll with Fields in that all day long and still have plenty of ammo to add to their defense too.

Hell, they could trade down again and collect #1's and #2's as far as the eye can see.

Grab Harrison and a top Tackle, a top inside OL and add more weapons to put around Fields. The Bear OL was mediocre at best. Pump that up and give him another target like Harrison? I would roll with Fields in that all day long and still have plenty of ammo to add to their defense too.
Oh I agree they could do that. They could also still trade Fields and have Maye or Daniels on a rookie contract. No matter what the Bears do their options are very attractive.

My cousin just text me saying the Raiders are hiring Chad Ochocinco Johnson as the WR coach

My cousin just text me saying the Raiders are hiring Chad Ochocinco Johnson as the WR coach
That’s probably Kingsbury bailed out, he couldn’t bring in his offensive staff
Johnson has never coached before tho, odd
Chad posted something online. It seemed Ike a joke
I just saw something that said it would be as an "offensive consultant"
by chad, i meant ochocinco

That’s probably Kingsbury bailed out, he couldn’t bring in his offensive staff
Johnson has never coached before tho, odd
Chad posted something online. It seemed Ike a joke
I just saw something that said it would be as an "offensive consultant"
by chad, i meant ochocinco
I will be an offensive consultant!

It seems Chad will be involved...

"Yes, I got a job with the Raiders," Johnson initially said on Instagram Live, per Sports Illustrated's Fan Nation. "Not as a staff member but as a member of the organization. I'm not sure what it is exactly ... but I will be a part of the team and that's an amazing thing."

Pierce then chimed in with apparent confirmation, sharing Johnson's comment with a remark of his own: "Taking over the
NFL with former players like 85 ... coaching up 17," alluding to Johnson working with Raiders wideout Davante Adams.

Apparently there was serious talks with Chip Kelly but he fell out of consideration because he wanted to bring in all of his own coaching staff on offense.

"Yes, I got a job with the Raiders," Johnson initially said on Instagram Live, per Sports Illustrated's Fan Nation. "Not as a staff member but as a member of the organization. I'm not sure what it is exactly ... but I will be a part of the team and that's an amazing thing."

Pierce then chimed in with apparent confirmation, sharing Johnson's comment with a remark of his own: "Taking over the
NFL with former players like 85 ... coaching up 17," alluding to Johnson working with Raiders wideout Davante Adams.
I’ll believe when I see it. I’ve seen some really lame alleged text messages. It’s really cringe.

Most Mocks have the Redskins taking Maye with their first pick. what is the community’s thoughts on trading for Howell? Howell is young, and should come cheap. He flashed last year and has decent mobility.

I’ll believe when I see it. I’ve seen some really lame alleged text messages. It’s really cringe.
Forgot what Raider beat writer, works for ESPN, but he said it as all just a joke and he's not joining the Raiders.

Users who are viewing this thread