What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Las Vegas Raiders thread - waiting to see some football! (6 Viewers)

Graham getting a second interview with the Seahawks for the HC position is not good. I don't like that one bit.
They 2nd interviewed a bunch of dudes.

I don't really know about the OC search, but they are interviewing guys from SF and the Rams, and that sounds good to me

Graham getting a second interview with the Seahawks for the HC position is not good. I don't like that one bit.

On the whole, I'd rather they keep Graham for the sake of continuity, but if he has to go, getting Marvin Lewis as replacement DC + two 3rd round picks isn't a terrible plan B.

They 2nd interviewed a bunch of dudes.

I don't really know about the OC search, but they are interviewing guys from SF and the Rams, and that sounds good to me

Los Angeles Rams pass-game coordinator Zac Robinson was requested to interview for the Las Vegas Raiders offensive coordinator vacancy, according to sources Monday, Jan. 22.

And a confirmed 2nd interview for Telesco

Sounds like the Raiders are going to interview Dan Pitcher for the OC position.

Vincent Bonsignore
@VinnyBonsignore
With the @Raiders getting set to interview @Bengals QB coach Dan Pitcher for OC job, one big connection to consider: Marvin Lewis, who is now on the Raiders staff, gave Pitcher his first NFL coaching job in 2016.

Last edited:
Mike Caldwell discussion of a senior defensive role with possibilities of moving into DC role if Graham gets tapped to be a HC.

Seeing Alex Van Pelt, Luke Getsy, Dan Pitcher, and Zac Robinson as those with interviews for OC. A lot of buzz about Kliff Kingsbury being a hot ticket in the media rumors but nothing about actually interviewing.

I do not get the infatuation with Kingsbury. He lacks a winning record as an HC, and his offenses were bottom 10 in two of his 4 years as the Cards HC. But even more damning, I cannot get out of my head when Murray was coming to the sideline in a game and yelled at Kingsbury to "clam the FVCK down." That is not the type of personality I would want to call offensive plays.

I do not get the infatuation with Kingsbury. He lacks a winning record as an HC, and his offenses were bottom 10 in two of his 4 years as the Cards HC. But even more damning, I cannot get out of my head when Murray was coming to the sideline in a game and yelled at Kingsbury to "clam the FVCK down." That is not the type of personality I would want to call offensive plays.
His offenses in college were all very powerful- Houston, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and even at USC as the senior offensive anaylyst/QB coach. I am not going to say that Kliff is or should be our guy but I really don't care at all whether an OC or DC have been a failed HC. The skillsets are completely different. Being a great OC or DC does not make you a great HC. Being a horrible or great HC doesn't make you a great or horrible OC or DC. He is either the luckiest SOB in history with the QB's he has worked with or he knows what he is doing and helped those QB's succeed. I am fully prepared to blame Murray and his desire to play video games over actually... you know.... preparing for NFL games as the fault for the Cards. It isn't like Murray instantly turned into an All Pro QB after he was fired too. Plus, are you going to say that 11-6 record had nothing to do with him? Apparently, a lot of teams are interested in his services as OC, one report I read basically said every team without an OC. :shrug:

All signs point to the Raiders hiring former Chargers GM Tom Telesco as their new GM. A surprise! per: Ian Rapoport

A bit surprising If true, as all indications up to this was that the hiring committee was split between Kelly and Dodds. Maybe they decided to split the difference? I am good with Telesco. He has put together a dang good roster and drafted well*. I don't think he should have been fired but love that we got him fired and now picking up his talents (again, if true).

I really, really, really hope we can retain Champ as the AGM.

*The failure for the Chargers was with coaching and not the GM. The underperformance of that roster was criminal.

Last edited:
Came here to report and say the same Chadstroma...

Fingers crossed they find a way to keep Champ in the mix, and happy!

Came here to report and say the same Chadstroma...

Fingers crossed they find a way to keep Champ in the mix, and happy!
I don't recall him getting any GM interviews elsewhere. I think you can make a good pitch to remain AGM and work closely with Telesco, who is an experienced GM, and be in the best position to get other teams GM roles when they come up.

The only way I see it not happening is that he gets like Brian Flores and gets bitter and goes all scorched earth. He doesn't seem like that type to me at all. I think he will get back to work to make the Raiders a winner and work hard to get himself in the position to get that opportunity hopefully elsewhere (I only say hopefully elsewhere because ideally Telesco does a great job and retires as our GM).

All signs point to the Raiders hiring former Chargers GM Tom Telesco as their new GM. A surprise! per: Ian Rapoport

A bit surprising If true, as all indications up to this was that the hiring committee was split between Kelly and Dodds. Maybe they decided to split the difference? I am good with Telesco. He has put together a dang good roster and drafted well*. I don't think he should have been fired but love that we got him fired and now picking up his talents (again, if true).

*The failure for the Chargers was with coaching and not the GM. The underperformance of that roster was criminal.
Except his roster had no depth. 2 or 3 injuries and the Chargers were sunk EVERY year.

I think he will do fine at the top of the draft but I'm not sure this is a good move.

Except his roster had no depth. 2 or 3 injuries and the Chargers were sunk EVERY year.

I think he will do fine at the top of the draft but I'm not sure this is a good move.
Not sure of any better options but Telesco seems to be decent at least. Has to be better than the Gruden years if nothing else. We won’t really know how Telesco is doing until after a couple of drafts and off seasons. Fingers crossed. I can’t take watching KC own the division forever.

I'm very surprised by the Telesco hire. It feels odd to me to name Pierce HC and then hire a GM who had no say in who the HC is. When AP was named HC I thought it was just a formality that Champ would be hired as the full time GM.

Not sure of any better options but Telesco seems to be decent at least. Has to be better than the Gruden years if nothing else. We won’t really know how Telesco is doing until after a couple of drafts and off seasons. Fingers crossed. I can’t take watching KC own the division forever.
Oh for sure.

He will be miles better than what they have had and get them pointed in the right direction. The combo of him and Pierce could do some things.

I'm very surprised by the Telesco hire. It feels odd to me to name Pierce HC and then hire a GM who had no say in who the HC is. When AP was named HC I thought it was just a formality that Champ would be hired as the full time GM.
Davis may have hired AP before a GM to be sure AP wasn’t poached by another team. I doubt there was that much interest in AP due to his small body of work but he truly did inspire the team to turn it up a notch. Once AP was in place, the GM had to fit the HC. That may be different than the usual process but it isn’t wrong necessarily. Time will show if the choices were correct.

Per Tafur, Mark Davis was adverse to having a rookie HC with a rookie GM (Kelly), like he had with McKenzie/Del Rio. So now we have a veteran GM with a Rookie head coach.

I hope they keep Champ as well as an assistant...he can learn a lot and the team loves him...the Raiders are building a corporate team as well as a team of players... bringing in a lot of experience to cover for APs lack of it...AP knows how to play football...he knows how to lead elite athletes...he knows how to win

I hope they keep Champ as well as an assistant...he can learn a lot and the team loves him...the Raiders are building a corporate team as well as a team of players... bringing in a lot of experience to cover for APs lack of it...AP knows how to play football...he knows how to lead elite athletes...he knows how to win
Only the Dolts and Patriots have openings at GM right now and neither asked to interview Champ. He is under contract so the odds of him being on are high. The only route I can see that he doesn't end up on the team is if Telesco didn't want him but my intuition tells me that it was kind of laid out that Champ would remain.

Some online unhappiness with Telesco. Meh. I am fine/wait and see mode.

I like that we have veteran voices around AP, he seems to know what he doesn't know, which I find very encouraging.

I am hoping for no circus, that's my first hope. No car crashes, no drug binges, no racist email leaks, no pouting QBs, no drama. Let's see what a year or so of no drama looks like.

Very pleased with the Telesco hire. He built a monster roster for the dolts, thankfully the coach got very little out of that gift.

I think coaching is a big impact here. There's a (laughable) thread in the SP about how NFL coaching isn't important, but depth/reserves is where it's actually crucial. When you're relying on a guy that isn't as big/fast/strong as the starter you gotta find a way to put him to use. Mitigate his weaknesses, take advantages of what different strengths he might bring. You may need to roll coverage for a weaker CB for example, but then you might blitz off that side since you're rotating into it anyway. Don't just put a statue of an OL at LT to replace your All-Pro, change up your protections and roll a double team, or put a TE or RB there to chip or help, run designed roll-outs, etc.

Coaches that can't adapt to the change in personnel are the culprits here. Every team is going to have injuries, every team is going to be playing depth players. BUF was on like their 5th string LB and made a huge run late to win the division and a playoff game and hung nicely with KCC.

Some online unhappiness with Telesco. Meh. I am fine/wait and see mode.

I like that we have veteran voices around AP, he seems to know what he doesn't know, which I find very encouraging.

I am hoping for no circus, that's my first hope. No car crashes, no drug binges, no racist email leaks, no pouting QBs, no drama. Let's see what a year or so of no drama looks like.
I mean, hiring AP is the first thing I have seen in prob 20 years where you had pretty much complete agreement with the fanbase on.

Very pleased with the Telesco hire. He built a monster roster for the dolts, thankfully the coach got very little out of that gift.

I think coaching is a big impact here. There's a (laughable) thread in the SP about how NFL coaching isn't important, but depth/reserves is where it's actually crucial. When you're relying on a guy that isn't as big/fast/strong as the starter you gotta find a way to put him to use. Mitigate his weaknesses, take advantages of what different strengths he might bring. You may need to roll coverage for a weaker CB for example, but then you might blitz off that side since you're rotating into it anyway. Don't just put a statue of an OL at LT to replace your All-Pro, change up your protections and roll a double team, or put a TE or RB there to chip or help, run designed roll-outs, etc.

Coaches that can't adapt to the change in personnel are the culprits here. Every team is going to have injuries, every team is going to be playing depth players. BUF was on like their 5th string LB and made a huge run late to win the division and a playoff game and hung nicely with KCC.
That must be the most laughable position I have ever heard about NFL football that coaching isn't important.

So Khalil Mack is un UFA in 2025

Yes he`ll be 34 at that time but i wonder if he`d come back to the Raiders now that Telesco is here and Gruden is gone, i imagine he`d love to play for AP

I’m ok with the hire especially if Champ stays on as AGM and gains more knowledge and experience under Telesco. I had no idea he was with the Dolts for 11 years, that’s a lot of experience for a GM in this era. That’s proven staying power and stability, something Davis covets. I’m looking forward to who they hire as OC and who they bring in at QB to compete with AOC.

Yes he`ll be 34 at that time but i wonder if he`d come back to the Raiders now that Telesco is here and Gruden is gone, i imagine he`d love to play for AP
Sure, we could use him as our third edge rusher.

I wonder if Raider Nation would be more enthused with the hire of Telesco if he didn't come from a division rival.

(not a comment regarding the response in this thread, but a social media/online seems to have a hatred for the guy)

He's gotta be a cap casualty this year. They are $44M over the cap and he's $23M of that. Would love to get him in on a one year deal or anything with no lingering dead money.

When I looked at the Chargers drafts, I don't remember any outrageous reaches.

When the Raiders SCREWED UP and took Kolton Miller instead of Derwin James, Telesco took Derwin.

I wonder if Raider Nation would be more enthused with the hire of Telesco if he didn't come from a division rival.

(not a comment regarding the response in this thread, but a social media/online seems to have a hatred for the guy)
I think he's pretty good at building a talented roster and IMO he's extremely good at drafting blue chip players. I think most people would have considered the Chargers to have one of the more talented rosters the last few years.

The players he acquired got hurt a lot. How much of that is on him I don't know.

It's possible he's better at locating talent then building a team. That's hard to say and I'm sure a lot of his moves are made in concert with the coach but if the job of a GM is to locate talent I think he's pretty strong in that department.

OC is next. Who have we interviewed or been linked with? Hard pass on Getsy. Mike Sullivan from PIT and Alex VanPelt from CLE are names I have seen. I wouldn't hesitate at all with VanPelt, that CLE offense got BETTER when Watson got hurt.

Judging his past drafts, at the very least Telesco will be the best at drafting the obvious blue chip prospects since McKenzie drafted Mack and Cooper. I don’t expect any crazy reaches in the first couple rounds with this guy in charge, but who knows, once someone puts on the Silver & Black all bets are off.

Most fans only know one thing... did they win or did they lose. Not very more nuanced than that.

OC is next. Who have we interviewed or been linked with? Hard pass on Getsy. Mike Sullivan from PIT and Alex VanPelt from CLE are names I have seen. I wouldn't hesitate at all with VanPelt, that CLE offense got BETTER when Watson got hurt.
I listed above some inteviews and I just saw a report saying that we have Kliff Kingsbury lined up for an interview as well

Vet minimum ,he would be better than most 3rd edge rushers
That would be great, but guys coming off or one year removed from a 17 sack season don't sign for the veteran minimum.

He's not signing for vet minimum and we shouldn't (and won't) insult him with such an offer. He had double-digit sacks even if you take out the debacle we gifted him with an he had 7.5 last year with injuries. Those guys are valuable and he'd instantly be our second or third best pass rusher. Guys like Matt Judon and Jonathan Franklin-Myers are making $14M or so a year. I'd be happy to get him for $8-10M as a situational sub package player but we are just as well off saving that money for other need positions and seeing what the youngsters can develop into.

I saw Tom Couf

That would be great, but guys coming off or one year removed from a 17 sack season don't sign for the veteran minimum.
Then pay him what hes worth, id just love to get him back in the Silver and Black

Users who are viewing this thread