What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 New Music Thread (1 Viewer)

@scorchy have you heard new Jesus&Mary Chain?

I listened to it a couple of times at work but wasn't able to really pay attention. A couple of songs made me perk up for a second but no "oh damn" moments. I'll give it another spin this week, I'm sure. How about you?

Anybody using the DJ feature on Spotify, with AI DJ "X" who sounds a lot like Ice T?

I've enjoyed it. Just hit me with a song about his heartfelt appreciation for being my DJ... And April fools yodel.
I can't stand April fools on the internet

P.S. more often than not the DJ is a miss for me.
Too bad about the DJ. I feel like it's tied to the Spotify algorithms... So if there's a set of stuff I don't like, I'll skip past it and I think it remembers.

@scorchy have you heard new Jesus&Mary Chain?

I listened to it a couple of times at work but wasn't able to really pay attention. A couple of songs made me perk up for a second but no "oh damn" moments. I'll give it another spin this week, I'm sure. How about you?
Sounded like MGMT made a Jesus & Mary Chain album

I don't really frequent these music threads, but just came across this band and just thought I'd drop it in here. I just saw someone I grew up with is their sound guy and decided to take a listen and they seem to have a decent following.

They're kind of an island indie/reggae pop band. -- The Hip Abduction

Here's one song, for example Pacific Coast Highway

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
The Vampire Weekend singles are excellent, IMO. They're back to the baroque pop sound of Modern Vampires of the City rather than the jammy nature of Father Of The Bride. Thanks @Nugget for alerting and posting.
Thoughts on the album?

After a couple listens, I think it’s pretty great.
As great as MVotC? Not sure yet but probably not.

Definitely better than Contra and FotB.

The debut will always hold a special place in my heart but this new album is right there in a different way.

Very solid and likely will grow on me.

Thoughts on the album?

After a couple listens, I think it’s pretty great.
As great as MVotC? Not sure yet but probably not.

Definitely better than Contra and FotB.

The debut will always hold a special place in my heart but this new album is right there in a different way.

Very solid and likely will grow on me.

Marco! Whoa. It's out? I'll have to give it a listen. I've been so immersed in reading about current events, politics, and the modern origins and instantiations of these things we're seeing that I've dropped the world a bit. Haven't even concentrated on my dynasty team while everybody else is adding guys and bidding on them. No real frivolity for me. It's been like I've been in a tunnel.

So yeah, I could definitely use a break and something cool rather than something awful. Thanks!

I’m excited for the debut album This Could Be Texas by English Teacher that drops tomorrow. It’s getting excellent reviews (96 on Metacritic right now).

It’s modern English post-punk (which has strayed quite a bit from the post-punk of yore) with a female lead vocalist. If that’s something you’re open to, I encourage you to give them a few listens. They have been working on this album for a while and a handful of songs have been released over the last year. I think they are all excellent. Here are some samples including a live, studio version of one of the songs.

I’m excited for the debut album This Could Be Texas by English Teacher that drops tomorrow. It’s getting excellent reviews (96 on Metacritic right now).

It’s modern English post-punk (which has strayed quite a bit from the post-punk of yore) with a female lead vocalist. If that’s something you’re open to, I encourage you to give them a few listens. They have been working on this album for a while and a handful of songs have been released over the last year. I think they are all excellent. Here are some samples including a live, studio version of one of the songs.

Spotify has had them in my rotation since that first single dropped. Good stuff.

This album is great!

The Lemon Twigs - How Can I Love Her More?

New single from The Lemon Twigs, continuing their foray into retro 60s pop, channeling The Turtles meeting The Beach Boys with some Phil Spector like production touches (and we are all happy together because of it).

Posted this is in the concerts thread...

Just dropped my daughter off at her acting studio, which is around the corner from Irving Plaza- a good midsize NYC spot for midsize bands and occasional "popups" for big bands.

There was a line of white people not just around the big NYC block, but around another even bigger NYC block. Thousands of white folk- way more than could fit into the venue. Largest NYC congregation of whiteys since Lord of the Dance rolled through.

Have any of you heard of Maggie Rogers?

Posted this is in the concerts thread...

Just dropped my daughter off at her acting studio, which is around the corner from Irving Plaza- a good midsize NYC spot for midsize bands and occasional "popups" for big bands.

There was a line of white people not just around the big NYC block, but around another even bigger NYC block. Thousands of white folk- way more than could fit into the venue. Largest NYC congregation of whiteys since Lord of the Dance rolled through.

Have any of you heard of Maggie Rogers?

Maggie Rogers is amazing, IMO. Saw her last year finally at ACL and she held her own with the headliners. She went viral some years ago thanks to Pharrell showing up at her class at NYC. Here is that video. But she has become a lot more than that. Have listened to her new album that dropped yesterday a half dozen times, three times with the daughter driving to dinner last night, and it's really good. Folk/singer-songwriter, but with different genres mixed in.

He's been around, and only has a single so far this year... But I think I'm just finding Hak Baker just now (I've probably playlisted him before and don't remember).

Diving in and really liking him. Mike Skinner meets Bob Vylan.

Another floppinho and friends performance from Friday (son learned the song 30 mins before playing).

I know this tune, but can't remember what it is or who did it originally... TIA for reminding me.

Eta... What song are they playing?

Eta 2... Vampire empire- big thief

Last edited:
Big thumbs up to the new Vampire Weekend. I finally got around to it today and after one listen, I can already tell it’s an album I am going to come back to over and over.
Big fan of it too. The first time that I heard “Mary Boone” I had to rewind to listen to it again before going on to the next song in the album. Maybe my new favorite song of theirs.

Spotify told me there was a new The Men album... Which is weird because they just. Put one out a few months back. But whatever... Cool!

This is not The Men you are looking for.

Ten Hail Marys - I Had A Dream

Dublin Alt Rock, Indie Rock band returns with this guitar driven tune that reminds me of Screaming Trees.

This album is great!
Agreed, been enjoying it a ton

New Fontaines D.C. song is out. New album in August.

I got this yesterday too... Has the feel of when Arcade Fire went more dancey.

2nd time around listening to this and I'm liking it a lot.

Spotify told me there was a new The Men album... Which is weird because they just. Put one out a few months back. But whatever... Cool!

This is not The Men you are looking for.
And even more confusing... The right The Men have a new single out on my RR.

The Silver Spurs - Could've Had It All

Australian Indie Rock, Funk Rock band but sounding here like something out of a Morricone Spaghetti Western or maybe what might be found on a Tarantino film soundtrack.

The 1-2-3 combo of The Surfer, Gen-X Cops and Mary Boone is just magnificent. Name a better 3 song sequence on a recent album. I always loved Vampire Weekend but I thought they were trailing off but this album tells me they are still in their creative prime.

Cigarettes After Sex - Dark Vacay

So come on, come on, dark star
Been loving you and I can't get enough, dark star
We don't need Brazzers
Feel the world around you
Feel the world surround you
Feel the world around you
Feel it all around you crash

Lava La Rue - Humanity

Do-do, do-do, do-do-do
Do-do,do-do, do-do-do
So many humans
And where's the humanity?
Do-do, do-do, do-do-do
Do-do, do-do, do-do-do

The Strifes - Sun Is Up

Southampton UK Indie Rock band with a straight-ahead guitar banger.

Edited to say, I have received some comments from friends that this has an Arctic Monkeys vibe.

Last edited:
Jordan Dean - The Way The World Is

A fun jangly bop with a killer bass line from this Cleveland OH indie rocker.

Power Pop with a Garage Rock sensibility.

Users who are viewing this thread