What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Ridiculous Schedule, Cam Hayward misses OTAs (2 Viewers)

I’m surprised he would sign a one year deal (for anyone). Price is right for the Steelers. I like this move.

I bet Russ gets a 2-TD game to open the season.
Have to assume he got a promise to start.

Verbiage on contract/incentives should be an interesting read, if nothing else.
Does it matter? Wouldn't he beat out Pickett the first day?

I suppose it isnt silly to assume that Wilson would expect that he'd easily beat out Pickett regardless, so "it doesnt matter at all" in that respect if that is indeed how he feels.

But a ton of folks were convinced he'd never settle for a 1 year "vet minimum" type deal, no matter where he signed. Hence why it will be interesting to see what, if any, verbiage exists with regard to incentives. To me, at least.

I’m surprised he would sign a one year deal (for anyone). Price is right for the Steelers. I like this move.

I bet Russ gets a 2-TD game to open the season.
Have to assume he got a promise to start.

Verbiage on contract/incentives should be an interesting read, if nothing else.
Does it matter? Wouldn't he beat out Pickett the first day?

I suppose it isnt silly to assume that Wilson would expect that he'd easily beat out Pickett regardless, so "it doesnt matter at all" in that respect if that is indeed how he feels.

But a ton of folks were convinced he'd never settle for a 1 year "vet minimum" type deal, no matter where he signed. Hence why it will be interesting to see what, if any, verbiage exists with regard to incentives. To me, at least.
There won’t be any incentives for this season. Any money he gets from the Steelers is money he doesn’t get from Denver.

The pirates will be out of the race by the all star break as usual. Pens are in rebuild mode. Steelers are a few pieces (not far) from at least being able to win a playoff game.
Steelers are more then a few pieces. Lol

THey may be worst with Wilson. He stinks.
Wilson threw twice as many TDs last year as Kenny has his entire career. If he "stinks" Kenny is rotting deer carcass smelly. They just added a piece that could help them win a playoff game even if Herbig is the center in 2024. They'll likely add a center though and while thin at ILB they could get by with what they have. They'll be better than they were last year, easily.

Love this move. Obviously, Wilson will be the starter. It’s easy to bash his play the past two years but he turned it around pretty well last season. Compare his last ten games to the best ten games of Pickett’s career. Russell will start. Bump all Steelers offensive players (except Freiermuth), especially DK Metcalf, er I mean George Pickens. I’ll be buying him wherever I can.

A 1 year deal is likely a good choice for Wilson. If he plays really well he can get that 1 last 3-4 year deal for big $$. Right now he doesn't have a ton of leverage, play well and he does.

Obviously, Wilson is a lot better than Pickett, but this move is a desperate move by a desperate team.
What happens next off season when Wilson wants more money. He will walk, so the Steelers will be back to this stage and needing a QB or just go with Pickett.

This team is not a Super Bowl team with Wilson, they are probably only at the same stage they were this season. A wild card and going on the road and losing to a better team. They still have a iffy OL, Holes in the D, and a big disadvantage walking the sideline.

I would have much rather the way Mason finished the year, signing him to a 2-3 year contract, and ride with him. Draft a QB down the line and of that route.

LOL@Wilson as a 1 year rental. The end result will be a QB search for 2025.

Meanwhile you let Morse leave the building to go sign with the Jags.

Well damn, I was hoping Morse was coming too. But there are a few vet centers out there and a deep draft as well for that position this year.

I am hearing top FA targets are Patrick Queen, Willie Gay, and Xavien Howard.

Wilson is just a stop gap measure. Certainly an improvement from Pickett and comes at league minimum. Not thrilled but it is better than overspending for Fields and really there wasn't much they could do at QB with the exception of making a costly trade to move up for a top 5 pick.

Better they use the draft and FA money on solidifying the team at other positions and deal with QB in 2025.

Well damn, I was hoping Morse was coming too. But there are a few vet centers out there and a deep draft as well for that position this year.

Queen will be a hefty price so I don't see that, although would love to get an impact player like him at LB. Gay is average, nothing special, but an upgrade from what they have. Howard is aging and not what he used to be. They just rid themselves of Peterson, so another old dude on the decline makes little sense in the secondary.

Queen will be a hefty price so I don't see that, although would love to get an impact player like him at LB. Gay is average, nothing special, but an upgrade from what they have. Howard is aging and not what he used to be. They just rid themselves of Peterson, so another old dude on the decline makes little sense in the secondary.
Queen is a biproduct of Roquan Smith. I think that unless he's paired with an excellent at his next team he will disappoint. Howard feels like our Haden signing, except 2 years older and more of a hassle.

Honestly wouldn't be excited if any of these 3 signed.

Wilson is just a stop gap measure. Certainly an improvement from Pickett and comes at league minimum. Not thrilled but it is better than overspending for Fields and really there wasn't much they could do at QB with the exception of making a costly trade to move up for a top 5 pick.

Better they use the draft and FA money on solidifying the team at other positions and deal with QB in 2025.
100% this. Everyone griping about Wilson, but he's probably going to cost less than 1/4 what it would cost to sign Mason. It's a 1-year rental, I can't see us signing him long term unless something miraculous happens this year like winning the AFC Championship. Also, they can tell him he's the starter, but if he sucks then it's almost inconsequential to cut him or bench him.

Also, to be fair to Kenny, the gap between Sean Payton and Matt Canada is wider than the space between Canada and Mexico. If KP was playing for the Broncos last year I bet he would have had way more TDs than he did for the Steelers, but I do think that Wilson is an immediate upgrade. KP could develop further and surpass Wilson, but based on their play the last 2 years Wilson is still better for now.

The QB hunt will almost certainly be on again in 2025 unless we sell the farm to trade up for Drake Maye at 3.

Queen is a biproduct of Roquan Smith. I think that unless he's paired with an excellent at his next team he will disappoint. Howard feels like our Haden signing, except 2 years older and more of a hassle.

So, who would excite you this offseason then?

Wilson is the starter, no debate.
Russel is better than many here assume.
This isn't a one-year rental, this is the Steeler QB for the next few years.
Huge upgrade over Kenny and Mason.

There won’t be any incentives for this season. Any money he gets from the Steelers is money he doesn’t get from Denver.

I guess he IS just "betting on himself" for 2025 and beyond with the next team?

I suppose if you've got near 40 million in hand, whether you play or hang out in Barbados in jorts all year, it lets you take that sort of a stance a lot more easily.

This is the problem I have with SF. Drafting guys like Pickett and Rudolph over better options at other positions, just because QB is too important you have to roll the dice on one, because you have to give up your first born to trade for a good one. IMO the position is more risky than any other position. I know you guys love the format and I've been learning about it for about a year, but there are things about it preventing me from taking the plunge.

Two completely different things about QBs. 1) My wife is a Phish fan and a Steelers fan so the Wilson signing just made buying her a birthday present very easy. 2) More seriously, I think teams would be wise to draft at least one QB per draft, if not two, because of how valuable they can be if they work out and how tough the supply / demand for them is. For example, the Eagles took Jalen Hurts as a late 2nd when Carson Wentz was the presumptive starter. Why'd they take him? They saw something in Hurts that they liked (and Wentz wasn't great). Or look a Brock Purdy. Sure, he is an extreme outlier, but why wouldn't teams roll the dice each draft that the QB they like is going to make it? The reward is so great if you hit on one during day two or three of the draft.

The flip side to this is why in the world a team would draft a RB high is beyond me. I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but it seems like the exact opposite calculus as to that of QB which I outlined above.

No he isn't LOL.. He is going to be 36 in 2025, and will want big money.. Steelers aren't paying him.

Again, I rather just sign Mason for a few years and play him. Team is n't winning a Super Bowl or making a run with Wilson, Mason, or pretty much anyone else available with the other holes they have.

Now after next season, Wilson leaves, they may have a bigger issue.

So, Pick 20. All we need is a QB, Center, OT, ILB, CB, WR, DL, and Safety.

We're currently over the projected cap. There's moves to be made to save cap space:
  • Cut Mitch - Save $3 mil
  • Cut A-Rob (Sorry A-rob) - Save $10 mil
  • Cut Chuks - Save $8.8 mil
  • Cut Mason Cole - Save $5 mil
  • Cut Harvin - Save $1 mil
  • Cut Peterson - Save $8 mil
  • Cam Heyward retires - Save $16 mil, but that would be sad
  • Extend James Daniels - Current Cap Hit $11 mil, could reduce by ~$5 mil easily
  • Restructure TJ - Move $6 mil (Could be restructured, traded, or extended; I'd leave this contract alone)
  • Projected salary Cap in 2024 is $240 mil, if we save $61.8 we'd be at ~$189 mil
  • The Steelers don't currently have any players we NEED to re-sign. We already have 41 signed, though I do list a few cuts and extensions.
This would leave us with:
  • QB - KP; Draft rookie and re-sign Mason
  • RB - Najee & Warren; 3rd RB undrafted FA
  • WR - Diontae, George, and Calvin Austin; need 2 WRs
  • TE - Pat F (final year), Darnell and Connor Heyward; TE room is solid
  • OT - Broderick Jones and Dan Moore; need OT to upgrade over Dan Moore, hopefully move Jones to LT
  • G - Daniels (final year) and Isaac Seumalo, and Herbig/Anderson; Depth if not extending Daniels
  • C - Herbig/nobody; Upgrade center at all costs
  • DL - Larry O, Benton, Leal, Loudermilk; becomes a need if Heyward is gone
  • OLB - Watt, Highsmith, Herbig; Solid
  • ILB - Holcomb, Roberts, Robinson; Need a great ILB so that Holcomb/Roberts can rotate and we have our own on-field general
  • S - Minkah, Kazee, Neal, Thompson; Could use upgrade at S over Neal/Kazee
  • CB - Porter, Trice; Need 2 CBs, 1 starter
  • K - Bos
Lots of needs, but some of them are just preference. The biggest holes are QB and Center, and honestly if we upgrade Center, LT, and OC, we'd improve greatly even with the same QBs (not Trubisky).
Hoping we still hear about a Cam and James Daniels extension to lower their cap hits.
The Diontae trade stuff sounds like a "where there's smoke there's fire" situation. I would not be surprised if we trade him at this point, but it would probably be less than I'd originally hoped for. Ideally if Claypool got a 2 you'd hope for a 2 for Diontae, but I think maybe a 3rd, probably a 4th.

Not sure about the one year, that's TBD, but all the other stuff, yes.

I'm not sure an off-season move has ever excited me more, and I say with that with heavy consideration to the contract.

• Frankie Luvu, LB, Carolina
    • IMO better than Queen and probably cheaper.
  • Kenny Moore, Slot CB, Indy
    • Great slot corner, fills a big need with a solid player
  • Lloyd Cushenberry, C, Denver
    • Much younger than Morse, long term solution
  • Connor Williams, C, Miami
    • Probably cheaper than Cushenberry and played excellent last year but coming off major knee injury
  • Justin Simmons, S, Denver
    • Would solidify our secondary while potentially 2 new CBs get up to speed. Probably won't happen due to high cost at a non-premium position
  • Terrell Edmunds
    • Excited is 100% too strong a word. But I think if he was dirt cheap he would be a better S-3 than we had last year. Would not want him as a starter.

• Probably cheaper than Cushenberry and played excellent last year but coming off major knee injury
    • Would solidify our secondary while potentially 2 new CBs get up to speed. Probably won't happen due to high cost at a non-premium position
  • Terrell Edmunds
    • Excited is 100% too strong a word. But I think if he was dirt cheap he would be a better S-3 than we had last year. Would not want him as a starter.
Good list. Cushenberry signed with the Titans a little while ago.

So, Pick 20. All we need is a QB, Center, OT, ILB, CB, WR, DL, and Safety.

We're currently over the projected cap. There's moves to be made to save cap space:
  • Cut Mitch - Save $3 mil
  • Cut A-Rob (Sorry A-rob) - Save $10 mil
  • Cut Chuks - Save $8.8 mil
  • Cut Mason Cole - Save $5 mil
  • Cut Harvin - Save $1 mil
  • Cut Peterson - Save $8 mil
  • Cam Heyward retires - Save $16 mil, but that would be sad
  • Extend James Daniels - Current Cap Hit $11 mil, could reduce by ~$5 mil easily
  • Restructure TJ - Move $6 mil (Could be restructured, traded, or extended; I'd leave this contract alone)
  • Projected salary Cap in 2024 is $240 mil, if we save $61.8 we'd be at ~$189 mil
  • The Steelers don't currently have any players we NEED to re-sign. We already have 41 signed, though I do list a few cuts and extensions.
This would leave us with:
  • QB - KP; Draft rookie and re-sign Mason
  • RB - Najee & Warren; 3rd RB undrafted FA
  • WR - Diontae, George, and Calvin Austin; need 2 WRs
  • TE - Pat F (final year), Darnell and Connor Heyward; TE room is solid
  • OT - Broderick Jones and Dan Moore; need OT to upgrade over Dan Moore, hopefully move Jones to LT
  • G - Daniels (final year) and Isaac Seumalo, and Herbig/Anderson; Depth if not extending Daniels
  • C - Herbig/nobody; Upgrade center at all costs
  • DL - Larry O, Benton, Leal, Loudermilk; becomes a need if Heyward is gone
  • OLB - Watt, Highsmith, Herbig; Solid
  • ILB - Holcomb, Roberts, Robinson; Need a great ILB so that Holcomb/Roberts can rotate and we have our own on-field general
  • S - Minkah, Kazee, Neal, Thompson; Could use upgrade at S over Neal/Kazee
  • CB - Porter, Trice; Need 2 CBs, 1 starter
  • K - Bos
Lots of needs, but some of them are just preference. The biggest holes are QB and Center, and honestly if we upgrade Center, LT, and OC, we'd improve greatly even with the same QBs (not Trubisky).
Hoping we still hear about a Cam and James Daniels extension to lower their cap hits.
The Diontae trade stuff sounds like a "where there's smoke there's fire" situation. I would not be surprised if we trade him at this point, but it would probably be less than I'd originally hoped for. Ideally if Claypool got a 2 you'd hope for a 2 for Diontae, but I think maybe a 3rd, probably a 4th.
Like the thinking since Diontae >>> Claypool, but asking price is top 90 pick to get in the conversation. If the best offer is a 4th, then keep Diontae one more season and probably get a 3rd round compensatory pick in return. Could see a team needing a strong WR2 making the move

Glad to see Gabe Davis off the market to the Jags, didn't like the idea of signing him for $10+ mil. Looks like he got $13 mil per year from the Jags.

Wilson for vet minimum is a great signing. I still want Fields, but the price for Wilson is effectively free. They may end up spending more on their QB 3.

The Steelers believe they are in a Superbowl window. Getting Wilson will allow some other signings. They could actually be competitive if they have a good offseason

• Terrell Edmunds
Luvu Signed with Washington 3yrs/$36 million

• Terrell Edmunds
Luvu Signed with Washington 3yrs/$36 million
Missed opportunity for us, I think $36 was the max, something like $33 is base.

I wouldn't be surprised if people want to sign with the Commanders over us with their anticipated top QB pick.

All joking aside, I think Steelers handled and treated Mason pretty ****ty..

I guess but professional sports isn't little league. He and the team were in talks during the offseason but couldn't work out a deal. That's just business, hopefully he gets a nice deal somewhere else.

I'd laugh if during the Wilson press conference he ends it with "Steelers Nation, let's smelt!"

There's no justice is there. Idk why Pittsburgh wanted to be douchebags about it. Terrible imo. Whats the message behind it: be a good teemate, save the season, and then still get replaced by one of the biggest a-holes in the league?

Hoping he gets an opportunity to at least compete for a starting role somewhere. Look at these guys getting multiple opportunities, Sam Darnold, Gardner Minshew, and Baker Mayfield. Mason barely got one. He's been recently better than all of those and some other starters too like Daniel Jones, Trevor Lawrence, and Justin Fields. Say what you want about it only being 4 games.

I wonder if he gets his own parking spot and a private quarters in the facility. He shouldnt have to talk to people after all. None of his teammates better try to get hold of him outside of work either. Hes not here to socialize.

I guess but professional sports isn't little league. He and the team were in talks during the offseason but couldn't work out a deal. That's just business, hopefully he gets a nice deal somewhere else.
They drafted him and never gave him a chance.. In 2019, as soon as he made a mistake, he was benched for Duck Freaking Hodges.. Then after Ben retired, they sign Mitch, who everyone with a brain knew sucked. Then even last season, he finally got a chance after they realized Mitch sucked and Kenny may not be it, what did he do, pretty much saved their season and got them to the playoffs. His play in the last part of the season, was QB play we haven't seen since Ben retired. Then what do they do, they still kick him to the curb after that.

I just hope the ghost of Russell Wilson is up the task of playing behind a not so great OL. The lack of moves on the OL this offseason has been pretty disturbing. We need a C bad and the FA market is thin already.

I just hope the ghost of Russell Wilson is up the task of playing behind a not so great OL.
I hope George Pickens beats up.

No he isn't LOL.. He is going to be 36 in 2025, and will want big money.. Steelers aren't paying him.

Again, I rather just sign Mason for a few years and play him. Team is n't winning a Super Bowl or making a run with Wilson, Mason, or pretty much anyone else available with the other holes they have.

Now after next season, Wilson leaves, they may have a bigger issue.
If he has a very good 2024, why not be willing to pay him for a couple more years. If he doesn't, then they let him walk. Who cares? This is a perfect 1 year audition that cost the Steelers virtually nothing.

They drafted him and never gave him a chance.. In 2019, as soon as he made a mistake, he was benched for Duck Freaking Hodges.. Then after Ben retired, they sign Mitch, who everyone with a brain knew sucked. Then even last season, he finally got a chance after they realized Mitch sucked and Kenny may not be it, what did he do, pretty much saved their season and got them to the playoffs. His play in the last part of the season, was QB play we haven't seen since Ben retired. Then what do they do, they still kick him to the curb after that.

I just hope the ghost of Russell Wilson is up the task of playing behind a not so great OL. The lack of moves on the OL this offseason has been pretty disturbing. We need a C bad and the FA market is thin already.

Duck Hodges did not take over from Rudolph "as soon as he made a mistake". Duck took over after Rudolph was injured in the Baltimore game. He missed a week and was back as starter until he suffered an undiagnosed concussion in the Myles Garrett incident that was revealed when he tried to start against the Bengals. Duck came in relief of Rudolph because it was obvious something was off and he was inactive for several games afterwards.

I do agree he got the shaft last season but he was well aware that Pickett was a #1 pick and Trubisky was solidly in the #2 position. He came back to the Steelers because no one else offered him a deal. After signing he did a great job keeping a positive attitude and did great when finally getting the opportunity to start.

As for this offseason we do know that he and the Steelers were talking. Perhaps his asking price was too high or maybe Rudolph wanted to test the market before committing back to the Steelers. Hopefully it will work out better for him but not all failed negotiations need to have a bad guy.

Users who are viewing this thread