What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2024 Pittsburgh Steelers: Ridiculous Schedule, Cam Hayward misses OTAs (8 Viewers)

"Fields is not expected to compete with Wilson for the starting job. Instead, Fields is expected to learn from the Super Bowl winner and nine-time Pro Bowler in Pittsburgh."

I am like in shock and awe.
It happened so quick. Dominos have all fell in, what, only 4 days? Its nutty.

Wonder if Omar had the Fields deal chambered before he dealt Kenny? Billy Bean'd Philly? "Howie? Yeah, I hear youre on Fields? You arent getting him. Ive got Pickett available though. Talking to you and one other team. Whoever calls back first gets him." 😂🙂

Don't get me wrong here. I'm trying some play on words. It all started with a mouse. Oops that's Disney. It all started by a small handed baby. But I can't help but think that Pickett being a baby helped accelerate the move for JF. Becauae I find it hard to believe that the Steelers would of added JF to the roster when they had RW and KP

I will say, Fields would be better than any QB they can draft in the 4th. If he was cool with sitting behind Wilson, unlike KP, could be the move still.
They aren't going to trade what the Bears wants for Fields for him to sit behind Wilson..

Bears are probably keeping Fields, and trading the #1.
:lmao:
Yeah, I eat crow here.. After signing Wilson, I never thought they get Fields too.. Just hope this doesn't;t turn into a cancer locker room with the one who doesn't start accepts it as both probably want to be starters.

I Hope we get the story from Chicago on this.. There is no way they entered this offseason asking a 4th or 6th for fields. I am shocked they moved him for that.

Yes by stating that RW is the starter and JF will learn from RW. I can't help but think this is also a ploy to potentially re-negotiate JF contract were the Steelers have the leverage over the player

Graziano ESPN paywall is stating that the Bears waited too long and mis read the market. The Steelers took advantage of the Bears situation. I can't read the rest. I'm too cheap to pay for ESPN-

Grading the Steelers-Bears trade for Fields​

Whatever you think of Fields as a player, the Steelers just got a backup quarterback who has started 38 games over the past three years. And they got him for almost nothing. The 2025 sixth-round pick that the Bears got back converts to a fourth-rounder if Fields plays more than half of the Steelers' offensive snaps in 2024, in which case the Steelers will have landed a starting quarterback for a fourth-round pick. As with the Wilson signing, the move is practically zero-risk for the Steelers yet has plenty of upside. And if something happens with Wilson -- be it injury or poor performance -- and they need the backup to play, they have one who has been a starter and for whom the situation won't be too big.

Furthermore, if the Steelers can iron out the remaining issues with Fields' game while he's in a backup role, Fields could become an option for them in 2025 and beyond. He threw 40 touchdown passes to 30 interceptions over three seasons in Chicago but showed flashes at times and made an impact as a rusher. Per ESPN Stats & Information, Lamar Jackson (2,906) is the only quarterback in NFL history with more rushing yards in his first three seasons than Fields (2,220).

And hey, they can say whatever they want in March about Wilson being the starter and Fields being the backup, but it's not completely inconceivable that Fields could win the job with a strong training camp. Fields actually has the higher QBR over the past two seasons (51 compared to 44). Regardless, the Steelers have set themselves up with options at the most important position. And even if neither one of them turns out to be a good option, they've spent minimally to acquire the pair, and they're not committed to either beyond this season.
As for the Bears, it seems fairly clear they misread the Fields market early on and ended up taking far less in return than they were initially seeking. Chicago went into this process hoping to get a second-round pick for Fields. But once former Patriots quarterback Mac Jones got traded to the Jaguars for a sixth-rounder and potentially interested teams started trading for the likes of Sam Howell, Desmond Ridder and Pickett, the market for Fields' services bottomed out.

The Bears could have held on to Fields until the draft or even throughout the summer, waiting for some team to get desperate enough to offer more. That would have made business sense. But it also would have created an uncomfortable situation with Fields and a rookie first-overall pick quarterback on the roster at the same time. It also wouldn't have been fair to Fields.

So for doing the right thing as opposed to the strictly business thing, I added a "plus" to Chicago's low grade here. The Bears could have traded Fields for more than this last year, and they probably could have done better than this if they'd moved him a month ago. They kept waiting for someone to meet their price. No one ever did, and it cost them.

pit.png

Grade for the Steelers: A​

chi.png

Grade for the Bears: D+​

I'll be the only one that thinks this ... Wilson nor Fields will be with the Bears in 2025. Reason being if they do perform well, PIT isn't going to sign either to a $35M per year multi year contract. And if they don't play well, then PIT will move on.

I hope Fields wins the job. i don't think he's that bad of a QB and his teammates seem to love him.

I'll be the only one that thinks this ... Wilson nor Fields will be with the Bears in 2025. Reason being if they do perform well, PIT isn't going to sign either to a $35M per year multi year contract. And if they don't play well, then PIT will move on.

I hope Fields wins the job. i don't think he's that bad of a QB and his teammates seem to love him.
From what I have read, it is Wilson’s job. Fields was told he will be the backup. Of course, if Wilson is bad then Fields will get a shot.

Assuming you meant the Steelers. You really think the Steelers won't pay a QB if they finally find one to replace Ben? Ben signed a 2 year $68M contract in 2019. They're well aware of what the QB market is like. They just haven't found one worthy of that kind of contract yet.

Fields has been in the league a year longer, with more success, and is a year younger than KP.

Also prolly sporting larger hands.

There’s no probably about it.
Let’s compare the hand sizes of Justin Fields and Kenny Pickett:

In terms of hand measurements, Justin Fields has slightly larger hands than Kenny Pickett. However, both quarterbacks fall within the range considered adequate for NFL passers. 🏈👐

8.5" is small and why he needed gloves to get a better grip. I have 8.5" hands and have trouble gripping an NFL ball. 9"+ is more in line with adequate. Even Joe Burrow was questioned a bit at 9" but that 1/2" is enough to make a difference. Average qb is over 9.5". Michael Penix on the other hand (pun intended) has massive 10.5" hands.

I'm no Steelers fan, and part of me really hates them.

But much respect for being one of the few remaining NFL teams with the stones to stomach any hint of a QB controversy.
Teams are literally giving away QB's to prevent it these days.

Never really paid much attention to the hand size thing because if you can play you can play (Pickett obviously can't at the NFL level). But I just measured my hand for the first time ever and came up with 9 5/8.

How can Kenny even pick up an NFL football with those tiny mitts? :lol:

Never really paid much attention to the hand size thing because if you can play you can play (Pickett obviously can't at the NFL level). But I just measured my hand for the first time ever and came up with 9 5/8.

Hey, wait a minute....I have 8.5" hands. :ponder:

I'm also 1/2' shorter than him.

The noodle arm and playing scared were the real issues.

I was remembering last night that Colbert stuck around an extra year to "help" the team after Ben retired. Seems likely that if he'd left and Khan had that extra year the Steelers would be in a better place.

That final draft was Kenny Pickett(no), George Pickens (maybe), DeMarvin Leal (no), Calvin Austin III (tbd), Connor Heyward (meh), Mark Robinson (no) Chris Oladokun (no). And the signing of Mitch.

Users who are viewing this thread