What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Drake Maye, NE (2 Viewers)

Kurt Warner second-voicing a lot of Chris Simms' concerns. He didn't provide a ranking of the QBs, but his description of Maye was very similar to Chris'. Feeling more and more like Maye is going to be the one to fall in this draft. By how much, who knows. All it takes is one team to view him as a value BPA if/when he falls.

Corey Buschlen
I'm telling you guys Drake Maye is a Viking

They're sending a godfather offer for 2 or 3

Josh McCown (Vikings QB coach) coached Drake Maye in Highschool

He fits Kevin O'Connel's system perfectly

Connections are important, Maye is the Vikings guy imo not McCarthy/Daniels

The question is now, how much do they have to pay to get the Commanders/Patriots to get out of those picks

Corey Buschlen
I'm telling you guys Drake Maye is a Viking

They're sending a godfather offer for 2 or 3

Josh McCown (Vikings QB coach) coached Drake Maye in Highschool

He fits Kevin O'Connel's system perfectly

Connections are important, Maye is the Vikings guy imo not McCarthy/Daniels

The question is now, how much do they have to pay to get the Commanders/Patriots to get out of those picks
I don’t see WASH trading Howell and then also trading out of the number two pick, that would be lunacy.

Trey Lance trade is the framework: This years first, this years third, next years first.

March 28th a big day for this kid and many teams involved. NC pro day. That tape is going to be scrutinized.

Trey Lance trade is the framework: This years first, this years third, next years first.

March 28th a big day for this kid and many teams involved. NC pro day. That tape is going to be scrutinized.
The Niners surrendered three #1s to move up for Trey Lance, I believe, in what turned out to be one of the worst draft trades of all time. If the Vikings want to give up that much or more, I don't see how the Commanders or Patriots could refuse such a franchise-altering offer. Both teams are in a multi-year rebuild and there's no guarantee that Maye (or Daniels or even Williams) will pan out. In fact it is likely that 1 or 2 of the top 3 QBs will be a complete bust like Trey Lance appears to be. If someone's giving away the farm, best to take it off their hands.

And while I agree that would be a great haul. I see next years QBs as lesser than this year. So I wouldnt do it unless I am against the QB left at 3

The Niners surrendered three #1s to move up for Trey Lance, I believe, in what turned out to be one of the worst draft trades of all time. If the Vikings want to give up that much or more, I don't see how the Commanders or Patriots could refuse such a franchise-altering offer. Both teams are in a multi-year rebuild and there's no guarantee that Maye (or Daniels or even Williams) will pan out. In fact it is likely that 1 or 2 of the top 3 QBs will be a complete bust like Trey Lance appears to be. If someone's giving away the farm, best to take it off their hands.
Trading down would be the smart thing to do, but if all the data says Maye and Daniels are franchise altering players I think both Wash and NE draft them.

As for NE, they could stockpile picks and still grab a QB. They have a pick at the top of round 2 and could easily package that and another to move back into round 1 if necessary and grab Penix or Nix.

Warming up to the idea of getting Odunze at say 9 or 11 and then drafting the guy who threw to him (Penix) later.

Joel Klatt
I really don't understand the devaluing of Drake Maye...He is an elite talent with higher upside potential than any QB in the draft aside from Williams...He makes plays and throws that the other QBs can only dream of making
It's called "prospect fatigue", Joel.

The media was saturated with Drake Maye et al and so moved on to the bright, shiny new toy (JJ McCarthy). Hence the apparent "devaluation."

Hopefully NFL GMs are not so fickle.

Mike Giardi
For all of those afraid of Drake Maye and his inconsistencies, time to refresh your memories. This player was a two-year starter at a lower level Div. 1 school. The numbers do little to make you believe - in this day and age - that he was elite QB in the making.

That player's first year in the NFL saw him complete less than 53% of his passes and throw more INTs than TDs. Year two saw a leap to 58% and a two-to-one TD to interception ratio. Year three was elite. So have the last three seasons.

That player is Josh Allen. Read this profile from @Danny_Heifetz.

There are a lot of sims between Allen and Maye. That doesn't mean the latter will become the former, but I'd bet on the traits and the pedigree. You just have to be willing to live with the growing pains. Here are Maye's numbers during his two seasons at UNC, which played in a much better conference than Wyoming is in.

Ian Hartitz
Drake Maye comps:

1. Justin Herbert but if he shotgunned a two-liter of Mountain Dew before kickoff
2. Target version of Josh Allen
3. Good version of Carson Wentz
4. Ryan Tannehill on crack
5. Faster Jay Cutler
If reports are correct, some teams are about to do something really stupid.

Drake should be a strong consideration at #1, not a 50/50 shot to go Top 3.
Good version of Carson Wentz is a really interesting comp that I could see. I think he's the QB2 in this class, and I think he's closer to Caleb than Daniels. If he falls past NE, somebody is getting a steal.

Pat McAfee
"When North Carolina had a better supporting cast around Drake Maye in 2022 he played great..

The team kind of deteriorated around him last year & his play fell off..

The exact same thing happened to Josh Allen at Wyoming & Jordan Love at Utah State"

@MoveTheSticks #PMSLive
Yeah Daniel Jermiah never insults anyone, but he's made it clear he didn't think that much of Maye's teammates

Josh Norris
15 minutes on Drake Maye

He's somehow become the most polarizing QB in the 2024 NFL Draft

Questions about Maye's mechanics, leading to inaccuracies... He was also WAY better in his 2nd season than Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix & Michael Penix were in Year 2

youtu.be/9WZEHM1ulMw

Drake Maye faced 3rd & 7+ on 76 dropbacks in 2023

(Daniels had 39. McCarty & Caleb 58)

He could've been better on 1st + 2nd down. But thats a *tough* environment to carry. Not to mention the lack of talent around him

Watch the video! We did our best to highlight the good & bad

Mike Reiss
Question: What do the Patriots like about North Carolina QB Drake Maye after spending time with him?

Jerod Mayo: "Drake Maye had a fantastic interview at the combine. He brings a lot of energy. You can tell he has that leadership ability.

"Also the exciting part about a guy like Drake Maye, there is really no ceiling with a guy like that. In saying that, when we’re trying to put together this roster, I know a lot of people look at the ceiling. But you also have to look at how low is the floor. I would say a guy like Drake Maye – he has a lot of room to grow. He’s a young guy. Honestly, he hasn’t played football nearly as much as these other guys. So that’s definitely something we’ve looked at, but he’s definitely going to develop.”

The 33rd Team
“There is no question he possesses the physical traits to develop into a quality NFL QB with a chance to be one of 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙗𝙚𝙨𝙩.”

@gregcosell’s scouting report on UNC QB Drake Maye ✍️

𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗘𝗡𝗚𝗧𝗛𝗦

- Desirable combination of size, throwing ability and athleticism. Possesses the needed traits of an NFL QB.
- Easy natural thrower with minimal effort. Could drive the ball down the field: Knee bend, hips and core torque.
- Explosive arm talent with the traits to make every throw. Can drive the ball at all levels with velocity and touch.
- Aggressively worked between the hashes with refined sense of timing and anticipation, velocity and firm touch.
- Threw with velocity when demanded and pace and touch when needed.
- Showed subtle pocket movement with two hands on the ball. Re-set his throwing platform with a firm base.
- Good athlete who can make second reaction plays, throwing and running. Also designed QB run game.
-Second reaction playmaking dimension with outstanding poise and composure outside the pocket on the move.
- Strong mental framework reflected in that bad plays did not affect him. Came right back and made good plays.
- 2023 – It is evident from tape that Maye can execute a drop back passing game with efficiency at all levels.
- Outstanding go ball and fade ball thrower, with precise ball placement, especially with no margin for error.
- Showed poise and composure to trust and work comfortably through progressions. Stayed sound in the pocket.
- Snaps he started to move then re-settled, getting his feet under him with a firm base and delivering cleanly.
- Consistently played with a calm helmet. It was evident he knew what he was seeing and how to process it.
- Poise and patience to move within the pocket when primary read was taken away to work to secondary reads.

𝗪𝗘𝗔𝗞𝗡𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗘𝗦

- At times, he drifted in the pocket to his left when there was no pressure and no reason to move off the mid-line.
- Consistently showed a tendency to drift rather than stay in the pocket. Created his own pressure at times.
- At times, he was tentative in the pocket. He did not turn it loose when throws were there. Must become more decisive.
- Too many dropbacks in which he left throws on the field. Needs to process and isolate quicker from the pocket.
- At this point, he lacks a refined sense of timing-anticipation, resulting in throws that aren’t made that should be.
- 2023 – Still showed tendency at times not to register and process reads, leaving clean throws on the field.
- Still too many snaps he drifted to his left when there was no pressure.
- There were a few too many misreads where he didn’t process the route concept versus the coverage correctly.
- Needs to develop a better feel for pocket movement rather than running out of the pocket. Higher-level trait.
- While he threw outstanding deep ball, must become more location precise on intermediate and shorter throws.

just hope he lands somewhere good.
As a follow up to this, please no New England.
Why?

As a NE fan, I'm leaning Maye if he's there.

Hayden Winks opinion.

I can't blame NE for taking him, I like him too. I'm just not thrilled with the offense he will have there in terms of receivers.

Why?

Hayden Winks opinion.

I can't blame NE for taking him, I like him too. I'm just not thrilled with the offense he will have there in terms of receivers.
Draft him and sit him.

Let Brissett take a beating for a year.

Now I'll lose my mind if they take McCarthy. There's no way lightening is going to strike twice with a Michigan QB. Can't imagine the gods of football would tolerate that.

Why?

Hayden Winks opinion.

Draft him and sit him.

Let Brissett take a beating for a year.

Now I'll lose my mind if they take McCarthy. There's no way lightening is going to strike twice with a Michigan QB. Can't imagine the gods of football would tolerate that.
So you are also against drafting Ohio State QBs?

He just looks so prototypical. Like he was built in a lab to play QB. I’ve thought a lot about McCarthy and Daniels but think I’m ready to say I want Maye at 2 for the Skins. Just feels like he has franchise QB written all over him.
In that case I hope they don't pick him

Users who are viewing this thread