What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB J.J. McCarthy, MIN (1 Viewer)

I agree. Not a lock.

My real question here is, why do people think Will Levis is some devastating argument for why we can not trust the buzz we are hearing?

Why am I constantly reading this cherry-picked data point from last year?

You know why? Because it stands out, because the buzz usually nails it. Draft buzz, and the consensus mock drafts, usually nail most of the 1st round (players). Most good mock drafts nail like 26 out of 32 1st rounders.

It's completely OK to say, man, looks like early reports on McCarthy were way too low.

nope, instead, let's cling to what the guy in his home office with 7,000 Twitter followers said in January, and when Daniel Jeremiah says he hears he's going top 10, the best response is "Will Levis"?

I agree. Not a lock.

My real question here is, why do people think Will Levis is some devastating argument for why we can not trust the buzz we are hearing?

You know why? Because it stands out, because the buzz usually nails it. Draft buzz, and the consensus mock drafts, usually nail most of the 1st round (players). Most good mock drafts nail like 26 out of 32 1st rounders.

It's completely OK to say, man, looks like early reports on McCarthy were way too low.

nope, instead, let's cling to what the guy in his home office with 7,000 Twitter followers said in January, and when Daniel Jeremiah says he hears he's going top 10, the best response is "Will Levis"?
well i dunno i'm thinking of QBs specifically. Rodgers fell a lot, granted long time ago, others have dropped Brady Quinn comes to mind, Malik Willis was supposed to go a lot higher, I'm sure i could come up with others those are just off top of head.

I agree. Not a lock.

Recency bias

well i dunno i'm thinking of QBs specifically. Rodgers fell a lot, granted long time ago, others have dropped Brady Quinn comes to mind, Malik Willis was supposed to go a lot higher, I'm sure i could come up with others those are just off top of head.
And I am sure they will get another QB wrong. It will happen. Especially with QB.

There is also buzz, where some rando with a blog says something on Twitter, and actual buzz when the ESPN guys, the NFLN guys are all locking him in as a top pick.

Now, is he top 2? Top 3? I dunno. Maybe that's not true. Who knows. Maybe the team doesn't know who they taking at #2 yet.

But, seems like a good bet that he's going very, very early.

And I am sure they will get another QB wrong. It will happen. Especially with QB.

There is also buzz, where some rando with a blog says something on Twitter, and actual buzz when the ESPN guys, the NFLN guys are all locking him in as a top pick.

Now, is he top 2? Top 3? I dunno. Maybe that's not true. Who knows. Maybe the team doesn't know who they taking at #2 yet.

you listen to the ESPN and NFLN guys? honestly didn't think people took them seriously.

ETA: maybe there's a couple on ESPN I kinda trust (actually don't get NFLN)

you listen to the ESPN and NFLN guys? honestly didn't think people took them seriously.

What?

You don't listen to ESPN or NFLN guys... BUT, you do listen to a couple ESPN folks, and don't even listen/watch NFLN?

GTFO

What?

You don't listen to ESPN or NFLN guys... BUT, you do listen to a couple ESPN folks, and don't even listen/watch NFLN?

GTFO
Most of these guys are just trying to entertain and attract viewers, doesn't matter if they're right or not.

What?

GTFO
Most of these guys are just trying to entertain and attract viewers, doesn't matter if they're right or not.
Oh, OK. You're talking about the talking heads. I was thinking you meant the handful of "insiders" each network has. They have good info fairly often.

What?

GTFO
Oh, OK. You're talking about the talking heads. I was thinking you meant the handful of "insiders" each network has. They have good info fairly often.
Mainly yeah, agree on the insiders but think teams also use them to spread misleading information at this time of year.

"I’m for sure positive Wash hasn’t come close to making up their minds yet. They are in true detective mode on all 3 of these guys..."
A completely different organization, no doubt. I want to say that Josh Harris hired several experienced executives to assist in the hiring of their GM & coach. So, a process where the winning candidate (Peters) had to impress his peers, not simply the team's owner. Not to conflict with content linking the team to McCarthy, but citing Dan Quinn, there exists the possibility of trading back.

JJ McCarthy: My only 1st hand assessment is watching him throw on his pro day, sourced above. His placement in that exercise is really good. For me, it was the deep throws. They all went about the same distance & of the rainbow variety, I suspect those were timed up. Those WRs weren't struggling to get to those, nor will NFL defenders be. A big windup & appeared to me he was throwing the ball as far as he could. That last one, the rotational spin of the ball was unraveling. A number of them were with McCarthy gaining considerable forward momentum.

I agree that for Washington, taking the sack of gold & hopefully landing Bo Nix is a better move.

"I’m for sure positive Wash hasn’t come close to making up their minds yet. They are in true detective mode on all 3 of these guys..."
A completely different organization, no doubt. I want to say that Josh Harris hired several experienced executives to assist in the hiring of their GM & coach. So, a process where the winning candidate (Peters) had to impress his peers, not simply the team's owner. Not to conflict with content linking the team to McCarthy, but citing Dan Quinn, there exists the possibility of trading back.

JJ McCarthy: My only 1st hand assessment is watching him throw on his pro day, sourced above. His placement in that exercise is really good. For me, it was the deep throws. They all went about the same distance & of the rainbow variety, I suspect those were timed up. Those WRs weren't struggling to get to those, nor will NFL defenders be. A big windup & appeared to me he was throwing the ball as far as he could. That last one, the rotational spin of the ball was unraveling. A number of them were with McCarthy gaining considerable forward momentum.

I agree that for Washington, taking the sack of gold & hopefully landing Bo Nix is a better move.

What a good post that was ruined by landing on Bo Nix as the solution lol. Yikes.

@TPPSkol
Per “The Beast” by @dpbrugler, here’s what an NFL scout had to say about J.J. McCarthy. Who does this remind you of? 🤔

“Before [J.J. McCarthy] signed, he was telling other Michigan recruits that if they wanted to party and chase girls, go somewhere else. His class was going to be the one that restored Michigan. To have that mentality and then actually go achieve it? He's different."

(H/T): @WBG84
📸: Kirby Lee

What a good post that was ruined by landing on Bo Nix as the solution lol. Yikes.

I can provide a number of sources ranking McCarthy & Nix very close together. The premise wasn't that Nix is better than McCarthy. Rather, it's that Nix & two additional 1st rd draft picks is a better team move! IMO, given that Nix ran the more pass-oriented offense, More frequently he would take the snap & the defensive front would tee off & in the back, dropping numbers. According to PFF, Nix completed passes that were 40 yds or more. I read to mean air yards & I think just for '23. A consistent weakness found in scouting reports on McCarthy:

"One-speed thrower; tends to lack touch when it’s necessary."
FBG - Rookie Guide

"Deep balls need to come out quicker and with more air under them."

"Everything comes out 100mph, ... [making] it easy to miss. You almost have to be perfect..." . On a post route isolation in the end zone: "So again there are the throws I'd love to see a little more touch & just kinda lay it out there. ... The way he drives the football ... makes it harder on the back end." - Kurt Warner

"I like his decision to go inside ... but this needs to be a touch throw. The difference here, he tries to jam it in there ... and the LB is able to take it away... [INT]." - Kurt Warner

EDIT:
I forgot to add that I don't know whether the sourced material has already been posted.

Last edited:
Ben Standig
GM1: “I need to watch (J.J.) McCarthy more, but I never saw (the positives) we’re hearing about him now. J.J. never had to carry Michigan and was driving a damn Cadillac.”

GM2 (bonus quote on pre-draft "noise"): "I find it almost malpractice that someone would go on the record to say it's absurd that Washington might choose McCarthy at two because he is 'supposedly' the fourth QB in this draft."

theathletic.com/5375788/2024/0…

The following is Brian Baldinger's take. The context for much of it is whether the Giants should trade up to ensure they get McCarthy. However, he also says that he'd rather they draft a WR with the 6th pick.

"I would not go after J.J. McCarthy. He might become a great pro. He’s just a very difficult guy to evaluate because of where he comes from. ... Like he’s the Golden Child. Nobody ever says anything bad about him. And I can’t figure out what there is to evaluate with him. They asked very little of him to go win a national championship. ... I like him, ... You just don’t see that many situations that NFL quarterbacks have to react to in real time, ... to get out of harm’s way like [Patrick] Mahomes does... Or Josh Allen just uncorks a bomb to go win a game. You just don’t see those type of throws from him." https://nypost.com/2024/04/13/sports/brian-baldinger-talks-2024-nfl-draft-storylines/

Content that points to McCarthy's body of work, that he was routinely regulated behind the ground game is consistent with any number of sources. Along with Kurt Warner is FBG's Rookie Guide, stating a tendency to over-stride prior to releasing the football. I've never heard that term, but it pertains to stepping up in the pocket, to the extent of which it compromises placement. Watching him on his pro day, to get those hangers to go 50+ yds he's climbing the pocket, like in the old days.

Days long gone. NFL QBs step up or move laterally to escape or mitigate pressure all the time. Definitely some of that, other times for some other reason. Reading & then looking for those traits on tape, I think McCarthy's arm talent is adequate, more than that I can't say. Something special, I'm more confident saying not IMO.

Game manager. You don’t get Michigan’s run game or defense if you draft him.
Have to disagree with this assessment. McCarthy can make all the throws. He is one of the most accurate throwers when he is on the move. He can use his legs to hurt you. In his line loss, JJ threw two pick sixes against a favored TCU squad, on the road, yet still led a comeback that fell just six points short.

McCarthy finished with 20 completions on 34 attempts for 343 yards and 2 TDs. He added 52 rushing yards on 10 carries and another TD.

Yes the two pick sixes were bad but the rest of the game demonstrated that he is more than a game manager. I believe people who pass on JJ are going to regret it for years. I have Maye rated slightly above JJ but if. JJ ends up in Minnesota with Jefferson, Addison, Hockenson and Jones, he will easily be my QB1 in this draft.
Michigan was favored by 7.5 vs. TCU.

Tom Pelissero
The #Patriots are having dinner with Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy tonight and will host him on a visit Monday in Foxborough, per source.

New England — which owns the No. 3 pick — previously hosted North Carolina’s Drake Maye and LSU’s Jayden Daniels. Now, more time with McCarthy.
Drumbeat getting louder that NE and Wolf want him.

I would have a hard time pulling the trigger on him at #3.

Tom Pelissero
The #Patriots are having dinner with Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy tonight and will host him on a visit Monday in Foxborough, per source.

New England — which owns the No. 3 pick — previously hosted North Carolina’s Drake Maye and LSU’s Jayden Daniels. Now, more time with McCarthy.

bet against it

Tom Pelissero

Worst thing that could happen to him. The pressure to be Tom would consume him.

Dan Orlovsky
You like 45+ yard ropes across the field perfectly thrown?

Won’t agree with people or the sentiment McCarthy isn’t highly highly physically talented

Not perfect
Has flaws

Very talented
@NFLDraft @Commanders @Patriots @Vikings @Giants

Couldn't agree more. I just finished a slow watch of his "all passes and runs" video. Paying attention to the score, down and distance, the clock, the play call... this dude is clutch and almost perfect in that system. Very impressive.

Couldn't agree more. I just finished a slow watch of his "all passes and runs" video. Paying attention to the score, down and distance, the clock, the play call... this dude is clutch and almost perfect in that system. Very impressive
I watched that too.

Didn't see much I didn't like.

First time I watched his highlights, he was going in the 2nd round of mocks drafts and I kept thinking he looked like a young Aaron Rodgers. Underrated legs and arm, for sure, at least at that time. Ironically, he seems to get comp'd most to Alex Smith. Yeah, no.

Couldn't agree more. I just finished a slow watch of his "all passes and runs" video. Paying attention to the score, down and distance, the clock, the play call... this dude is clutch and almost perfect in that system. Very impressive
I watched that too.

Didn't see much I didn't like.

First time I watched his highlights, he was going in the 2nd round of mocks drafts and I kept thinking he looked like a young Aaron Rodgers. Underrated legs and arm, for sure, at least at that time. Ironically, he seems to get comp'd most to Alex Smith. Yeah, no.
There is a highlight film of him circulating Twitter and Reddit right now that is just all handoffs. Made me lol hard.

John Keim is the most trusted Washington beat reporter, total pro and been doing it forever. Hes always careful in his reporting and doesn’t overstate things. Anyway, he’s been saying for awhile he thinks they lean Daniels, although he does it in such a way that makes it seem he’s got a source in the Daniels camp and he always makes it clear he’s not hearing much of anything from the team. He’s always presented it as a choice between Daniels and Maye.

He’s now twice said in the last day or so not to rule out McCarthy at 2.

I keep coming back to the notion this is about leadership qualities and Daniels falls short of the other two in that category. I’ve been feeling it’s much more a Maye vs McCarthy decision. Think all this Daniels at 2 noise for weeks has been coming mostly from the Daniels camp.

Michigan had a dominant o-line and a great team last year, but when things broke down what I liked when pushed out of the pocket JJ was still looking "pass first" then run. Then when he had to run he can get first downs and more.

How that translates to the NFL? As with any QB nobody knows.

Users who are viewing this thread