What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Spencer Rattler, NO (1 Viewer)

Is Spencer Rattler the Jets' QB of the Future?

...South Carolina’s Spencer Rattler has the look and the feel of being a franchise NFL quarterback.

He has a little Patrick Mahomes to him and a little Brett Favre.

In fact, that’s the perfect way to describe him.

Rattler has athleticism like Mahomes and he’s a gunslinger, who conjures up memories of Favre.

Don’t let Rattler transferring from Oklahoma to South Carolina fool you, Rattler is a gamer and he is a winner. Rattler has only lost 4 games (2019-2021). The drive in the West Virginia game this past season was impressive setting up the winning field goal, at the end of regulation...

Grading Spencer Rattler

6-foot-1, 200 pounds

2021 Oklahoma game film reviewed: West Virginia, Texas, Kansas State and Nebraska

2021 stats: 140/187 (74.9%), 1,483 yards (7.9 average), 11 touchdowns, 5 interceptions

Grade: First-Round (Top-10)

Scouting Report

Athletic confident dual threat gunslinger with a strong arm and plays with a real edge to him. NFL ready. Tough as nails. Ultra competitive. High energy tempo. Impressive and crisp set-up in the pocket. Well schooled. Alert. Deliberate and decisive in his movements. Good ball handling and play action. Mobile sliding around in the pocket. Capable of making quick decisions and showed he can also go through his progressions. Excels rolling out and can hit targets on the move. ...

Bottom Line

I just may be the toughest grader out there and Rattler left me saying, “wow" or “damn” quite a few times watching him move around and throw.

He just does things a lot of QB’s simply cannot do with that rare mixture of athleticism, competitiveness, arm strength and smooth natural feel he has for the position.

Rattler looks like a superstar in the making

NFL Rookie Watch@NFLRookieWatxh

Spencer Rattler final regular season stats:

• 66.6 CMP%
• 2,780 passing yards
• 19 TOT TD
• 11 INT
• 8-4 record
The Gamecocks QB is eligible to enter the Draft this year 1f440.png

NFL draft pundits weigh in on pro prospects of Gamecocks’ Spencer Rattler

Excerpt:

Some have believed since Rattler committed to the Gamecocks a year ago that he would be a one-year rental, in Columbia for a season to again display the championship form he showed as an Oklahoma redshirt freshman before losing his job the next year. He’d play and move on to the NFL, no matter the results.

Some thinking has changed. Through 10 games, Rattler’s numbers were a mere 180 of 277 (65 percent) for 1,982 yards and eight touchdowns, the last out-weighed by a staggering nine interceptions. That performance certainly didn’t scream NFL.

Then the thinking changed again. Over the past two games, against Top 10 teams each vying for a spot in the College Football Playoff, Rattler was a robust 55 of 76 (72.4 percent) for 768 yards and eight touchdowns, quadrupling the two interceptions he tossed. That’s the talent that could light up gridirons on Sundays.

But the inconsistency of the season is on the minds of draft analysts, three of whom offered their views to The Post and Courier.

“Spencer’s talented. He’s got an NFL arm. He’s been a winner. He won at Oklahoma, and man, he finished strong with South Carolina this year,” said Mike Detillier, publisher of the M&D Draft Report and in the draft-pundit business for 35 years. “But there is some erratic nature to his game, and that’s apparent.

“I’d probably grade him as a fourth-round pick.”

“Teams like players that can make plays off-schedule, where when everything is covered, they can ad-lib with their feet, turn it into backyard football,” Campbell said. “The NFL is really trending toward that quarterback. That’s definitely something that can help Rattler, if he can control the beast a little bit. Pick his spots and really unleash it at the right time.”

But Rattler’s overall season?

“I think that the best thing for him would be to go back to school. While he finished the year strong, he’s had uneven performances, with the turnovers, the lack of ball control at times,” Campbell said. “I think if he enters this draft, he could end up going on Day 2, because I think he’ll work out well. I think he has a lot going for him physically, he just needs refinement.

“If he were to go back to school and really improve on the decision-making and ball security, he could take off and end up being one of those guys like Kenny Pickett, who goes from a late-round projection to the first round.”

Detillier mentioned the gunslinger part of Rattler’s game, something that an NFL coach could think, “I’ll coach that out of him.” That would be wishful thinking, Detillier says.

“He’s got some athletic skills that certainly jump out at you, got some movement skills. The one thing that jumps out to me is the consistency part. He played big-time those last two games. That was not there all year long.”

Charlie Campbell of Walter Football, the NFL media mock-draft accuracy leader in 2022, 2019 and 2017, had a similar view. The cowboy mentality can help Rattler, if it can be channeled.

Several NFL scouts attended games this season, and one from an AFC West team was asked about Rattler’s prospects.

“He’s won 23 games as a starter playing against good competition. That’s a lot of winning,” he said, listing Rattler’s positives. “Arm strength, can make all the throws, has played in different systems already.”

Then the same negative.

“He didn’t seem to get better for two whole years until just recently.”

The NFL’s underclassman committee will likely get back to Rattler with its advice soon, if it hasn’t already, and the Gator Bowl could be another display of what Rattler has shown the past two games. The questions will be there throughout bowl prep — if one more game would make up Rattler’s mind, or if he’s already decided.

Crazy things happen in bowl games and immediate professional declarations afterward are not unique.

Neither are decisions to run it back again.

He's pretty regular. i saw some flashes but otherwise....so he better stay in school where the NIL money is more than he'll make in the NFL

NFL Rookie Watch@NFLRookieWatxh

Several NFL scouts reportedly believe Spencer Rattler could make a “Kenny Pickett” type jump in terms of his draft value by returning to college for one more season. The Gamecocks QB is reportedly supposed to have a decision on his future “soon.1f440.png

I have 2.01 and 3.01

I typically see him mocked somewhere between assuming he has enough draft capital and a path to a starting gig.

I might have to reach at 2.01, or maybe trade down a little. I really like him in the 2nd round. If he were healthy I think he’d be looked at as behind Young/stroud, but ahead of Levis/ARich

I thought he went back to South Carolina for 2023 season…. Are you thinking Devy picks?
I have 2.01 and 3.01

I typically see him mocked somewhere between assuming he has enough draft capital and a path to a starting gig.

I might have to reach at 2.01, or maybe trade down a little. I really like him in the 2nd round. If he were healthy I think he’d be looked at as behind Young/stroud, but ahead of Levis/ARich

I thought he went back to South Carolina for 2023 season…. Are you thinking Devy picks?
I have 2.01 and 3.01

He did?

Oh snap - I must have missed some news.

Smart move for him. Makes my 2.01 easier. lol

NFL Rookie Watch @NFLRookieWatxh
Spencer Rattler is reportedly thought to have “way more” arm talent than people give him credit for according to Trent Dilfer (former NFL QB). Dilfer also reportedly believes Rattler’s arm talent fits in the “same conversation” as Caleb Williams and Drake Maye.Many NFL scouts also reportedly believe Rattler “has the tools” to be an above average NFL starter.Rattler was at one point a potential first overall pick in the NFL Draft.Rattler’s final season as a Gamecock should be SPECIAL

And he wins Senior Bowl MVP. Will be interesting to see where he ends up going. How good he was this year was masked by a terrible OL that had him constantly under pressure.

He will be a first round pick. He has all the traits. Yes, he was uneven in college, but part of the calculus is projecting the player arc down the road.

This take may not age well, but given his traits and breadth of skills, this is exactly what NFL teams look for.

Can’t recall which pod but someone was talking about him having grown up a lot from his early days of being highly touted and getting humbled.

Can’t recall which pod but someone was talking about him having grown up a lot from his early days of being highly touted and getting humbled.
He's definitely been nothing like the guy y'all are talking about from that Netflix show at South Carolina. Says all of the right things and was a good leader. Acted mature even though struggled with decision making on the field at times.

He will be a first round pick. He has all the traits. Yes, he was uneven in college, but part of the calculus is projecting the player arc down the road.

This take may not age well, but given his traits and breadth of skills, this is exactly what NFL teams look for.

Day 2?

Rookie QB3 -or- QB3 for an NFL team (honesty asking, don’t watch college)?
I'll give you a summary:

Tier one is Caleb, Daniels and Maye.

Tier two has been generally thought of as between Penix, Nix and McCarthy.

It's possible that Rattler has broken into the tier two discussion among teams.

Crissy Froyd has an interview with him coming out.
He is very well grounded now.
Idk if he'll develop into anything but he's a zero intangible risk guy for sure. He's gonna be a good boy in meetings and work hard in practice and all that.
One of the things about him is his ability to learn n adapt is slow. It can't take weeks to learn how to beat any defensive tricks because every other DC will do them. He didn't learn at OU and got benched. He greatly progressed since but it's still slow.

He'll go third round or late second not first. The cognitive or recognition issues are similar to Levis so I don't begrudge the early second predictions. This can and will be quizzed out of him and he'll get better. It's not uncommon but it doesn't scream "start now" and whether they do or not first rounders are supposed to be capable.

He'd be a good competition guy for a young QB a team is unsure of. I'm not sure Washington, Atlanta, Raiders and all the young QB teams are drafting one in the first.

Imagine masking coverage in the first Q and getting an INT then again in the third. That's all I mean. I'm quite positive about this guy

Rookie QB3 -or- QB3 for an NFL team (honesty asking, don’t watch college)?
I'll give you a summary:

Tier one is Caleb, Daniels and Maye.

Tier two has been generally thought of as between Penix, Nix and McCarthy.

It's possible that Rattler has broken into the tier two discussion among teams.
Too many other better QBs in front of him in the draft. Solid second round pick which isn’t a bad thing for him or the team.

Don’t like him. Came into Oklahoma thinking he was Paddy Mahomes with the headband and un-earned swagger. Played more like Paddy LaBelle.

Don’t like him. Came into Oklahoma thinking he was Paddy Mahomes with the headband and un-earned swagger. Played more like Paddy LaBelle.
You don’t think he’s changed his career arc at all since then?

I watched him against Georgia this year and kept thinking to myself that he was the best player on the field.

I watched him against Georgia this year and kept thinking to myself that he was the best player on the field.
He did make that game exciting but there were also games he flubbed .. but most of that can be attributed to OL issues ....

He did make that game exciting but there were also games he flubbed .. but most of that can be attributed to OL issues ....
His numbers weren't great, but if you actually watched him play he's running for his life, making throws, running for first downs, etc. I don't think he had much help at SC this year.

Reminded me of Mahomes against Tampa in the Super Bowl. Lost the game. Didn't throw for any TDs. But, you watch him play and just go wow.

Users who are viewing this thread