What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Brock Bowers, LV (2 Viewers)

I have a lot of early picks in dynasty and (i own 3 through 7) and i was excited to pair a pair of qbs with nabers and bowers but now I'm not too sure about either.

So this means Mayers is trade bait?
Doubt it, you can play two tight ends. They traded up to get Mayers and selected him early 2nd round, they would not see anything close to that in return. Bowers is more of a move tight end so they are vastly different in skill set. Brock will be moved around to find mismatches and Mayers will stay inline is my guess. I think the Raiders want to play big and become a tough-nosed smash mouth football team. This keeps their defense fresh and Mahomes/etc off the field. Football goes in cycles, and after years of speed and throwing the football the majority of the time we are starting to see teams revert back to an old school mentality. Chargers and the Raiders seem to both be heading in that direction. Defensive teams have worked to get smaller and faster, some offensive teams are going to try to take advantage of that big punching you in the face.

He may just be a bust already, everyone was surprised last year when he fell out of the 1st and Kincaid and LaPorta both got drafted over him. Maybe there were some legit reasons we just didn't know about?

Hate to give up on him (i drafted him in one league too) as TE’s usually take time to develop but Mayer didn’t really show much on the field last year and its a whole new regime drafting Bowers. Trading up for Mayer last year means nothing with a new head coach and GM.

It's a bad landing spot for fantasy value.
I thinks it's great. Adams for how much longer? And then???

Meyers is easily cuttable for cap savings a year from now as well. Obviously they need to get their QB situation figured out long-term but the same can be said for the Jets which was the consensus mock draft pick (and not like Rodgers has ever bothered to throw to a TE during his career anyway.) Would the Saints have been better with bum shoulder Carr? Chargers were the only real jackpot landing spot I was hoping for, the rest all equally had questions.

Sure, QB situation looks rough now. I've seen others post that they think the Raiders got even worse this off-season too. Kind of sets them up for an even earlier pick next year. I'm a believer in the Not For Long system so I won't get too caught up on the now. By year 3 I think I'll have forgotten about any concerns I might have right now.

Think this is mostly bad for Jakobi Myers value.
Mayer value...... look, it was a long shot he was gonna be a top 5 TE. LaPorta and Kincaid were the TE to get last year.

Need to call him a big slot fullback H back hybrid, so people can stop saying dumb sh:t like "they drafted Mayer last year"!!!

No one said Eagles were dumb for drafting Nolan Smith after taking Jalen Carter.

They. Play. Different. Positions. Watch Mayer highlights. Watch Bowers highlights. Not doing the same thing, fellas.

As far as QB and landing spot, kinda feels like Bowers routes are the ones that bad QBs need to rely on.

The concern is, are these offensive coaches able to have a plan for the two TE sets? Getsy ran a lot of 12 personnel in CHI, but adding Bowers really opens up creative options from the grouping. It's TBD if the coaches can really get as creative as this player allows them to be

Last edited:
Doubt it, you can play two tight ends. They traded up to get Mayers and selected him early 2nd round, they would not see anything close to that in return. Bowers is more of a move tight end so they are vastly different in skill set. Brock will be moved around to find mismatches and Mayers will stay inline is my guess. I think the Raiders want to play big and become a tough-nosed smash mouth football team. This keeps their defense fresh and Mahomes/etc off the field. Football goes in cycles, and after years of speed and throwing the football the majority of the time we are starting to see teams revert back to an old school mentality. Chargers and the Raiders seem to both be heading in that direction. Defensive teams have worked to get smaller and faster, some offensive teams are going to try to take advantage of that big punching you in the face.
Using logic this makes a ton of sense. However I don't know what we'll get with Luke Getsy. He doesn't use 2 TE sets often. Outside of the weeks Kmet was injured, Tonyan's snap counts were in the 20-25% range. He had 17 targets on the season as TE2.

Granted Tonyan isn't in the Bowers/Mayer caliber of player, but we also shouldn't forget that one of the biggest issues with Getsy last year was his failure to adjust his play calling to his personnel.

Think this is mostly bad for Jakobi Myers value.
Mayer value...... look, it was a long shot he was gonna be a top 5 TE. LaPorta and Kincaid were the TE to get last year.

Need to call him a big slot fullback H back hybrid, so people can stop saying dumb sh:t like "they drafted Mayer last year"!!!

No one said Eagles were dumb for drafting Nolan Smith after talking Jalen Carter.

They. Play. Different. Positions. Watch Mayer highlights. Watch Bowers highlights. Not doing the same thing, fellas.

As far as QB and landing spot, kinda feels like Bowers routes are the ones that bad QBs need to rely on.

The concern is, are these offensive coaches able to have a plan for the two TE sets? Getsy ran a lot of 12 personnel in CHI, but adding Bowers really opens up creative options from the grouping. It's TBD if the coaches can really get as creative as this player allows them to be
I love this post and couldn't agree more. If I was worried about anything with Bowers, it was how he was going to be deployed. Maybe I'm making a mistake trusting the Raiders to be smart lol; but I think looking at the fact they just took Meyers and now grabbed Bowers, you have to assume they will be utilizing Bowers split out as well he should be. It's a seriously good thing for him. Not to mention the fact they are getting a guy who when graded as a WR, graded out as the WR3 of the class. And they will get to pay him a TE salary for it.

In the same breath though, I did chuckle seeing the words Getsy and creative used in the same sentence lol.

I'm not currently in a position to take Bowers in any of my leagues, but if he starts falling towards the end of the first round I will be looking to trade up and grab him.

Not a TE. More like a super-sized Welker/Edelman/Renfrow.
So more of a WR2 role with Adams? Where does that leave Jakobi Meyers?
Meyers had 68 Rec from 101 targets ... and the 7 TDs were nice.
If Brock takes those 100 targets, I would expect more production but that is just me dreaming with the 1.04 pick

LAC was obviously the prime but unlikely landing spot. I think LV is a solid landing spot. I don't understand why anyone would change their view based on last night.

Landing spots

NYJ - Old QB coming of major injury and much higher competition for targets. I never loved this. For all we know Rogers could be gone in a year and then what. If the Jets drafted Bowers they would have ignored an obvious need on the OL.

Cinci - Maybe the best outside of LAC but still stiff target competition from Chase and Higgins

Indy - Also could be considered good but Richardson has Pittman and Downs already and I don't see him as a high-volume passer, so targets are still a concern.

LV - Minshew isn't great but good enough to support 2 receivers. Have to figure Adams and now Bowers are the target hogs here. Other spots (except LAC) are higher quality offenses, but bigger target volume questions.

I guess there could have been other landing spots, but I think I covered the main ones that were projected (to varying degrees)

Further view on Minshew, as I think he will be the concern of many. Lamar is Andrews QB and no one seems to be concerned about that. Lamar threw for 3678/24 last year. Minshew threw for 3305/15 last year in 2 less games. Touchdowns are clearly lower even after adjusted for games, but Minshew would have more yards.

My conclusion, this wasnt a great landing spot and maybe a minor downgrade, but it doesn't change my view on TE premium drafts

Last edited:

Agree. IMO there is a lot of unnecessary chicken little overreaction going on in here and elsewhere.

Getting drafted onto a team with Mayer is a great thing. It means Mayer will take the majority of the TE blocking snaps, freeing Bowers to run routes.

Bowers is unlike most TEs in that he probably won't need as many targets as most do to have a good fantasy game. He is probably going to have a high catch percentage, high YAC/rec, high rate of forcing missed tackles, and a fairly high TD total, since he has a chance to take any catch to the house.

I haven't looked at or thought about TE rankings yet, but I'll be very surprised if Bowers is not expected by the general consensus to be top 5 as a rookie.

So more of a WR2 role with Adams? Where does that leave Jakobi Meyers?

Guessing rookie year he cuts into Meyers and Mayer most. In 2025, Adams' contract has a self-destruct structure, so who knows where he will be at that point - he would almost certainly need to agree to a significant pay cut after the 2024 season to remain a Raider.

Users who are viewing this thread