What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Startup Draft Strategy - what’s yours? (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
I finally caved and joined a new start-up league with various members of my other 3 leagues. It’ll be 14 or 16 teams, snake draft with a 3RR.

We’re trying to decide on KDS (will be voted on when league is finalized) so at the moment I’m just looking at it from a mile-high perspective.

Basic framework is SF, PPR, TE-P, IDP, with performance bonuses for both Offense Defense to keep things balanced.

I’ve only ever done auction drafts, so I’m curious about strategies for approaching this build. In doing 4-5 round pseudo-mocks based on ADP, it’s extremely challenging, especially SF. So far I’ve been gravitating towards zero RB, going QB-WR-WR-TE if top 8 pick, or WR-QB-TE-WR if 9 ~> pick.

Planning on drafting for value, but I fear the positional runs that a snake draft presents. Also struggling with my tiers a little, as age is a major factor. Last time I did a start-up I didn’t take age into consideration as much as I should have & paid a price down the road.

• is it a choice between winning now or building for longevity?
• If a value at QB falls to me in the 2nd, is it crazy to start QB-QB? Or will I be too far behind at WR/TE?
• How do you approach QB2?
• for the purpose of this topic, I won’t go into IDP, but it definitely factors in. The first 5-7 rounds are likely to be unaffected, though I have no idea where folks will start taking elite defensive players. I’m guessing it’s around 6-7-8, but maybe @Dez can lend some insight there? I know you’ve done a ton of IDP startups
• if we do KDS, what’s the perfect draft position? With 3RR, and 14-16 teams I feel like it might be 7 or 8 - I’d likely still get an LJax or Fields, would have a medium sized turn, and a relatively short 1/2 turn after the 3RR.
• any other suggestions, strategy, nuance to consider?

I realize this is asking for myself, but I don’t recall seeing any topics about dynasty startups here, so while personalized, maybe this can be helpful to others as well?

Let’s get the discussion going.

95% of my leagues are dynasty, so I always do my startups avoiding long in the tooth vets. Yes, I don't want to go so young that I'm not competitive, but the way I value Tyreek Hill vs Waddle for example, is night and day different between redraft and dynasty startup leagues. And yes I see the value in waiting for RBs or at least going heavy on WR in the early rounds along with your QBs. I did a SF startup in Feb and I didn't take a RB until the late 6th round, and then went Dobbins, Pierce, and Pollard to grab some good RB depth (and I'd argue Pollard wouldn't be anywhere near available at 7.4 like he was back in Feb)

I should also mention the changes I did when it came to vet vs youth...at 2.5 I went Waddle over AJB, and at 3.4 went Higgins over Hill. At 4.5 I went London over Adams. I probably would have scored more points with AJB, Hill, and Adams, but long term I think I'll be glad to have Waddle, Higgins, and London, and not have to worry about replacing Hill and Adams in the near future.

Also, with 50 rounds, the last 20 or so are going to be a struggle to maintain interest given the level of scrubs I expect to be on the board.

That said, it is IDP, so I’ll likely be scooping up 6-7-8th LB, 3-4-5th DE, and some CBS & S those last ~20 rounds.

Last edited:
I should also mention the changes I did when it came to vet vs youth...at 2.5 I went Waddle over AJB, and at 3.4 went Higgins over Hill. At 4.5 I went London over Adams. I probably would have scored more points with AJB, Hill, and Adams, but long term I think I'll be glad to have Waddle, Higgins, and London, and not have to worry about replacing Hill and Adams in the near future.
Thank you. This absolutely validates my train of thought on that subject. Interestingly, the start up ADP I’ve seen doesn’t always reflect this.

That may be due to looking at smaller windows of competitiveness. I know folks typically approach Dynasty in 2 to 3 year windows, but when doing a start up, I really don’t want to take on short shelflife ticking time bombs with the early round picks.

I haven't done *that* many startup drafts, but for the most part my approach has been:

* try to get good value, guys who fell farther than they should; generally you don't want to turn down gifts (as always)
* prioritize youth, especially early in the draft, looking to compete primarily in year 2-3 and beyond
* trade around a lot based on where you see the tiers as being vs what other people are willing to give. Best is to trade down to accumulate extra picks where there are still good players available, and future firsts.
* go aggressively after the very top talent. e.g., Mahomes is ridiculously great to have in superflex - just think about how hard it is to trade for him. Some teams' first and second round startup picks wouldn't be enough to trade for Mahomes as a two-for-one in an established league. So try to get the top draft slot (even if it's 3RR), and be willing to trade up early if the price isn't too ridiculous.
* don't worry too much about positional balance, especially if it's young players (guys who are in a good position to retain their value) and you're not prioritizing year 1. It's fine to be very strong at some positions and weak at others. Being "too strong" at QB in superflex is generally not a problem - you'll be able to get a ton for those guys in trades at some point over the next year or two.
* re-evaluate your team & your strategy as you go. e.g., Several rounds in you might decide to completely punt year 1 (if you traded for multiple future 1sts and drafted injured guys like Kyler & Javonte), or you might try to still be competitive in year 1 (e.g. if you get lots of already-good young players early and then see high-end veterans falling farther than they should)

trade around a lot based on where you see the tiers as being vs what other people are willing to give. Best is to trade down to accumulate extra picks where there are still good players available, and future firsts.
I’ve been thinking about this one a lot. Like, let’s say I get 1.01

I’ll happily trade down up to 3 spots for a future pick, or another early round pick.

Also, bonus - I’m known as one of the most trade-happy team owners across the 3 leagues, so I’m sure I’ll get plenty of offers.

In my leagues I find that far more people want to trade back (to gain value, extra picks) than trade up. In this startup I had the 1.4 pick, and could have taken Hurts, but traded down to 1.8 and took Lawrence (but then had 4 or 5 future rounds where I was bumped up between half a round and a round and a half for my trouble. Trading back always seems to be the better option if you are good and drafting in the mid/later rounds.

Prioritize premium players at premium positions. Depending on scoring and starting lineup requirements, elite TE and difference making IDP move up the board. Haven't played IDP in years, but when I did, JJ Watt was a top scorer regardless of position and the positional advantage he provided was immense.

Think about how you want to attack QB. In a recent startup, I traded up to get 2 of my top 9 QBs. Depending on where you pick your draft slot, you may not have to if you think players like Dak, Tua, Kyler may fall and you're OK with them at QB2. If wanting to trade up to secure 2 of your top QBs, I would look to move a package of your 2/3/5 for something like 1/8/10, just ensure you get the same number of picks back and avoid trading away future picks. A hero-QB approach can suffice provided you have a plan to address QB2 with multiple options.

For me, WR is the easiest position to fade in early rounds. I don't see enough of a positional advantage between the round 2/3 players and round 6-8 ones. The low WR2/WR3 types can provide a minimum baseline of scoring to keep you competitive if you're sporting advantages at other positions. Won't win any sexy roster awards but having positional advantage hammers is a bigger benefit, imo.

Whatever you decide, enjoy building your roster. Erring on the side of productive youth keeps both avenues (building/competing) open. Best of luck!

When I did my 2016 startup with IDP (I have only done a few startup full fledged IDP leagues where IDP get massive pts 2014 and 2016 but of course I do rookie drafts every year with those now) I also do did a couple limited scoring IDP way back in 1997 and 2010 were those startups.

In my full fledged high scoring IDP leagues I actually took the first IDP off the board in JJ Watt in the late 3rd. Now we gave massive scoring to sacks 6 pts per and 2 pts for DL tackles (1.5 for non DL tackles) to give them a bump otherwise your DL position is just going to suck if you do the standard every player gets 4 pts sack and 2 for tackle and 1 for assist then you may as well throw the DL players in the trash as the 30th LB will score as much as the #1 DL most years.

IDP is very erratic the best LB's one day can be fodder in a few years but when you have the elite scoring ones it is a dream.

As far as KDS what we did was this we wanted to do a separate rookie/startup draft so we all rolled dice. The high roller got his pick of spot in the startup draft (with getting the reverse pick in the rookie draft with all the rookie picks from 2nd-7th rounds as opposite of your 1st round pick) The startup was a snake draft.

So in 2016 the guy who rolled the highest took the 1.12 startup
So he got 1.12, 2.01, 3.12, ect startup while he got rookie picks 1.01, 2.12, 3.12, 4.12, 5.12, 6.12, 7.12.

Also benefit of doing both a startup followed by rookie draft is not only more fun but you can make trades using this year's rookie picks during the startup.

If you decide to do what most do and combine rookies/vets in the startup then I would suggest KDS for sure on the pick slot. I imagine most will take highest pick without 3RR and without a rookie draft reversed but still give the choice. I would have everyone roll dice (you have them put their email and the commish email in for the roll) to confirm the roll.

As far as KDS what we did was this we wanted to do a separate rookie/startup draft so we all rolled dice
We are going to vote on it, but right now, the proposal is to include 2023 draft picks and also pick up packages as draftable assets.

So picks 1 through 28, or1 through 30 (depending on whether we’re 14 or 16) would be single draft picks, and after that it would be like 3.01, 4.01 and 5.01 would be one draftable pick set.

I like the idea, so I hope it passes the vote.

I mostly punt year one, move back in the draft acquiring future picks, and pick up cheap youth later in the startup draft. You get to acquire injured players and rookies not performing out of the gate for competitive teams in y1 too. It's the only approach unless your leaguemates aren't willing to trade.

I mostly punt year one, move back in the draft acquiring future picks, and pick up cheap youth later in the startup draft. You get to acquire injured players and rookies not performing out of the gate for competitive teams in y1 too. It's the only approach unless your leaguemates aren't willing to trade.
This league is comprised of the most trading managers from all 3 leagues, so I expect a trading bonanza. So much that I’m concerned about how long the draft will take. lol

To your post, I’ve read a couple of write-ups promoting this strategy. Not necessarily a full punt of year 1, but pretty close in recommending selling off picks 1-2-3-4 to gain a ton of picks in the next two years.

Not sure how I feel about that. It’s thought provoking.

May I ask why you guys decided on a snake draft? That is a terrible way to conduct a dynasty startup as you are at the mercy of the luck of the draw to get the player you want to build around.

I would recommend doing an auction for at least the number of starting positions and if you want to transition to draft to fill things out that works well. I have done that many times.

As far as strategy as I have said before I don't treat ot much different than a redraft as I look at 2 yr windows. I also think it is a huge risk to punt the first year by going overly young because if you miss on those unproven players you are always trying to catch up. It increases your risk to have to hit on those unproven guys.

May I ask why you guys decided on a snake draft? That is a terrible way to conduct a dynasty startup as you are at the mercy of the luck of the draw to get the player you want to build around.

I would recommend doing an auction for at least the number of starting positions and if you want to transition to draft to fill things out that works well. I have done that many times.
I didn’t. I suggested auction.

The two founders of the league wanted snake.

It is what it is. I also would want auction, but is going to be a 3RR snake draft.

So yeah, luck of the draw it is. I have no idea why they’d rather do 3RR snake, but it sucks, I agree.
As far as strategy as I have said before I don't treat ot much different than a redraft as I look at 2 yr windows. I also think it is a huge risk to punt the first year by going overly young because if you miss on those unproven players you are always trying to catch up. It increases your risk to have to hit on those unproven guys.
I agree - if I do a youth movement, I won’t drop tiers to do it in most cases. But if my choice is say, TLaw Vs LJax, I might lean Lawrence for the age, and the fact that I have concerns about LJax longevity as a running QB.

I’ll likely avoid the Kelce/Kupp/Diggs type players, as I look at dynasty in longer than 2 year windows, and again, drafting older players (26-28) was in part why my 12-team dynasty league had to do a full rebuild.

But yeah, I’m not planning on punting by going youth movement. I do plan on using youth as a tiebreaker between proven players though.

It's been a few years, but I think one of the keys is getting at least a couple guys who are going to be enduring stars at their position. I'm talking about the Larry Fitzgerald, Tony Gonzalez, LaDainian Tomlinson, and Adrian Peterson level of player. Elite players are critical to maximizing your ppg ceiling. The caveat is that you don't want to be the guy who drafts the year one team of geriatric guys on the backslope of their prime. There's no margin for error with that approach because if you miss in year 1-2, you are cooked. A certain amount of age-paranoia is appropriate in dynasty, so skew young if you can find guys in the same rough talent tier. Don't draft solely based on youth though.

I'd probably steer clear of "next big thing RB" names in the first round or two, as this species of player is often among the most overvalued in dynasty. I'm talking about guys who come in, have one decent season, and are anointed as perennial contributors. So many of them go sideways ala Cam Akers, Najee, D'Andre Swift. It's a reliable pattern. To use a current example, I'd be fading Bijan, Breece, Etienne, Gibbs, and Walker at market price. Very little upside for guys who have a whole lot of downside. Their market value right now is basically the same as it will be if they actually pan out, which only a fraction of them will. Once upon a time Kevin Jones and Julius Jones were top 10 dynasty RBs too. Same for Trent Richardson and Doug Martin. I've seen this movie over a dozen times by now.

Another thing that's critical in dynasty is mining the late rounds for high-ceiling lottery tickets. I got guys like Boldin, Rodgers, and Jordy in the garbage rounds of startup drafts early in their careers. My best dynasty teams in recent years were carried by Mahomes, Tyreek, and Mark Andrews; who I got for next to nothing prior to their rookie years. Value flows away from hype, so look a tier below the flashy names and kick the tires on some guys who might develop into strong contributors. Alec Pierce and Trey McBride are free money right now. Guys like Josh Palmer and Khalil Shakir have 1k+ potential at thrift store prices. I think CEH is probably circling the drain to irrelevance, but at RB57 prices, I'll roll the dice on him being the next Benson or Thomas Jones. Nothing will propel your team up the standings faster than finding 1-2 premium players in the discount pile.

Given that mine is likely to be KDS, let’s say you land the 1.01 & can have any position.

What draft position would you want, in order, 1-16?

I have two trains of thought:
• draft the latest slot I believe I’ll get a cornerstone QB1 (1.08-1.09) and if I miss, I get JJ as a “plan B”

• take 1.01 and try to trade down in the 1st to extract picks from managers who want Mahomes. Maybe trade to 4, then again to 8-9. Get extra 23 & 24 picks

• take 1.01 and pick my QB

8-9 is appealing because I’d have a relatively short turn & still get a top ~6 WR, then 3RR is favorable as well.

But getting extra picks selling Mahomes might make up for getting hosed by the 3RR.

It’s a conundrum.

Usually you take the highest pick you can because you get the higher pick the odd rounds also you almost always could trade the 1.01, 1.02 or whatever you get for a lot more than just getting the 1.16, 2.01 ect.

Usually you take the highest pick you can because you get the higher pick the odd rounds also you almost always could trade the 1.01, 1.02 or whatever you get for a lot more than just getting the 1.16, 2.01 ect.
Yeah, but you can only do that once. 2nd round pick is late, and with 3RR the 3rd round pick is late.

14/16 team, I would want the highest available. If first choice, I’d choose 1.01 and take Mahomes. Mahomes is the best asset in the game. Late 2 + 3 don’t matter as much to me because that’s going to be a big flat part of the draft.
If I want 2 top QBs, offering 2, 3, 5 for 1, x, x to someone who wants to trade down to accumulate assets might be a steal when the players are picked. A couple years ago - in a 12 team SF, no IDP, I traded my 3.09, 6.04 and future 1st for 1.07, 12.06. Players chosen were rookie 1.03 (became Trey Lance), Noah Fant, 2022 1.10 (other manager traded pick which was used on C Watson) for Justin Herbert, Brandin Cooks.
After the draft, elite QBs are virtually unattainable right? I also don’t mind the back-to-back picks as you can read the draft and double tap scarcer positions to construct your roster as you want and don’t have to worry about the ADP game where you think the guy you wan tight fall to the next round. You take the guys you want as you know they’re not going to be there the next time you pick. But it sounds like there likely to be a lot of expected trades so who know how often you’ll be picking in your original slots.

I finally caved and joined a new start-up league with various members of my other 3 leagues. It’ll be 14 or 16 teams, snake draft with a 3RR.

We’re trying to decide on KDS (will be voted on when league is finalized) so at the moment I’m just looking at it from a mile-high perspective.

Basic framework is SF, PPR, TE-P, IDP, with performance bonuses for both Offense Defense to keep things balanced.

I’ve only ever done auction drafts, so I’m curious about strategies for approaching this build. In doing 4-5 round pseudo-mocks based on ADP, it’s extremely challenging, especially SF. So far I’ve been gravitating towards zero RB, going QB-WR-WR-TE if top 8 pick, or WR-QB-TE-WR if 9 ~> pick.

Planning on drafting for value, but I fear the positional runs that a snake draft presents. Also struggling with my tiers a little, as age is a major factor. Last time I did a start-up I didn’t take age into consideration as much as I should have & paid a price down the road.

• If a value at QB falls to me in the 2nd, is it crazy to start QB-QB? Or will I be too far behind at WR/TE?
• for the purpose of this topic, I won’t go into IDP, but it definitely factors in. The first 5-7 rounds are likely to be unaffected, though I have no idea where folks will start taking elite defensive players. I’m guessing it’s around 6-7-8, but maybe @Dez can lend some insight there? I know you’ve done a ton of IDP startups
• if we do KDS, what’s the perfect draft position? With 3RR, and 14-16 teams I feel like it might be 7 or 8 - I’d likely still get an LJax or Fields, would have a medium sized turn, and a relatively short 1/2 turn after the 3RR.

I realize this is asking for myself, but I don’t recall seeing any topics about dynasty startups here, so while personalized, maybe this can be helpful to others as well?

thanks for the thread.

i find league design, auction/draft strategy, player eval very interesting, but it's been years since i've been active, so i have little to contribute, and that also means i am not familiar with a few of the abbreviations used.

if you could take a minute to very briefly explain 3RR, KDS, and TE-P, that would be great.

if you could take a minute to very briefly explain 3RR, KDS, and TE-P, that would be great.
TE-P = a tight end Premium. WR/RB get 1 PPR, TEs get 2 PPR*

*some leagues use 1.5, some 2.5

3RR = 3rd round reversal. It’s an attempt to balance the inherent nature of snake drafts, where in a 14 team league, 1.01 then gets 2.14/3.01
Instead at the beginning of the 3rd, the snake order reverses, so it goes 1.01 ~> 2.14 ~> 3.14 from the 1 spot. From the 14 spot, they get 1.14 ~> 2.01 ~> 3.01

KDS = Kentucky derby style drafting. Instead of randomizing the draft order, the randomization is run but that’s just the order that the managers pick their own spots. So if you draw the 3rd priority, and teams 1-2 have taken 1.01 and 1.02, you may select any draft position from 1.03 through 1.14. That will then be your snake draft position for the entire draft.

Some managers opt to select say 1.04 to ensure they get one of their top tier of QB, then have a shorter number of picks to their round 2 selection. Or some prefer 1.14 for the back to back picks + 3.01

Just adds an element of strategy to draft slotting, and IMO goes hand in glove with 3RR.

Last edited:
Good luck, there’s no chance I’d do another draft startup. Auctions are just more fun and fair. Not to say you can’t win with the later picks but starting with a top 6 QB is a huge advantage - and I don’t care all that much which of that group I get. So, I’d do just about anything needed to land a top 6 pick in SF. Maybe 7 if you like Fields.

Good luck, there’s no chance I’d do another draft startup. Auctions are just more fun and fair. Not to say you can’t win with the later picks but starting with a top 6 QB is a huge advantage - and I don’t care all that much which of that group I get. So, I’d do just about anything needed to land a top 6 pick in SF. Maybe 7 if you like Fields.
I love Fields.

I have it
1. Mahomes ~> Hurts ~> Allen
1A. Burrow
————
1B. Herbert
2. TLaw ~> LJax ~> Fields

So if I can pick top 8 I’ll be psyched.

I’m warming to the idea of prioritizing top 4 in order, and if I get one of those spots, trying to trade back to 1.06 & net an extra 2nd or a 2024 pick.

If I land 5-7, I’ll still try to move back a spot or 2, but not past 8. And chances are good that most managers will take JJ over Fields, and likely Chase as well.

If I’m at 8-9-10, I’m hoping for one of the QB to fall or for JJ/Chase, with the hope that a QB makes it back to me.

And if we do end up drafting draft picks & pick packages, I’d be very tempted to take the 1.02 pick & hope ARich pans out rather than a WR4 or a RB. As much as I love Bijan, I’m not sure I want to start off a 14 or 16 team dynasty with a RB a my anchor.

Yeah, but you can only do that once. 2nd round pick is late, and with 3RR the 3rd round pick is late.
I did not notice there was 3RR...................so of course that changes things but in SF you usually want the stud QB and you need to be up front to get a big one.

I love Fields.

I have it
1A. Burrow
————
1B. Herbert

I’m warming to the idea of prioritizing top 4 in order, and if I get one of those spots, trying to trade back to 1.06 & net an extra 2nd or a 2024 pick.

If I land 5-7, I’ll still try to move back a spot or 2, but not past 8. And chances are good that most managers will take JJ over Fields, and likely Chase as well.

If I’m at 8-9-10, I’m hoping for one of the QB to fall or for JJ/Chase, with the hope that a QB makes it back to me.

And if we do end up drafting draft picks & pick packages, I’d be very tempted to take the 1.02 pick & hope ARich pans out rather than a WR4 or a RB. As much as I love Bijan, I’m not sure I want to start off a 14 or 16 team dynasty with a RB a my anchor.
I missed where the rookies were separate from the vets. The way I’ve seen that is the same order as round two - which means in a 14 team league the 1.14 goes with 2.01, 3.01, and rookie 1.01. Which probably overcompensates and the late vet picks with early rookie picks becomes the stronger side generally. Starting with something like Tua (or Daniel Jones?), Dak, Metcalf and Bijan looks like a potentially strong start.

Prioritize premium players at premium positions. Depending on scoring and starting lineup requirements, elite TE and difference making IDP move up the board. Haven't played IDP in years, but when I did, JJ Watt was a top scorer regardless of position and the positional advantage he provided was immense.

Think about how you want to attack QB. In a recent startup, I traded up to get 2 of my top 9 QBs. Depending on where you pick your draft slot, you may not have to if you think players like Dak, Tua, Kyler may fall and you're OK with them at QB2. If wanting to trade up to secure 2 of your top QBs, I would look to move a package of your 2/3/5 for something like 1/8/10, just ensure you get the same number of picks back and avoid trading away future picks. A hero-QB approach can suffice provided you have a plan to address QB2 with multiple options.

For me, WR is the easiest position to fade in early rounds. I don't see enough of a positional advantage between the round 2/3 players and round 6-8 ones. The low WR2/WR3 types can provide a minimum baseline of scoring to keep you competitive if you're sporting advantages at other positions. Won't win any sexy roster awards but having positional advantage hammers is a bigger benefit, imo.

Whatever you decide, enjoy building your roster. Erring on the side of productive youth keeps both avenues (building/competing) open. Best of luck!

Scott Connor type of method. If you DO get a top 9 pick, trade up into another one so you can grab 2 of the top QBs from the off set. Offer up your 4/5/6 round picks for it and ask for something like 8/9/10 rounders in return. Basic principle is there’s still valuable WRs and RBs there so as long as you get back the same amount of picks it doesn’t matter that they are several rounds later.

I’ve been wanting to do a new start up and try this method

I love Fields.

I have it
1A. Burrow
————
1B. Herbert

I missed where the rookies were separate from the vets. The way I’ve seen that is the same order as round two - which means in a 14 team league the 1.14 goes with 2.01, 3.01, and rookie 1.01. Which probably overcompensates and the late vet picks with early rookie picks becomes the stronger side generally. Starting with something like Tua (or Daniel Jones?), Dak, Metcalf and Bijan looks like a potentially strong start.
We’re voting on that. My vote is for draftable rookie picks and pick-packages.

1-28 or 1-32 would be draftable singles, while 29 ~>, or 33~> would be sets of 3 draft picks, which in IDP are far more appealing to me.

Last edited:

Scott Connor type of method. If you DO get a top 9 pick, trade up into another one so you can grab 2 of the top QBs from the off set. Offer up your 4/5/6 round picks for it and ask for something like 8/9/10 rounders in return. Basic principle is there’s still valuable WRs and RBs there so as long as you get back the same amount of picks it doesn’t matter that they are several rounds later.

I was just reading about this method and was gravitating towards this.

I was just reading about this method and was gravitating towards this.

Destination Devy podcast with Connor & Vanek have done a mountain of stuff on it in the last few months since the season ended, all worth a listen

Zoom meeting in 5.5 hours to randomize picks and do the KDS order live, which is kinda fun. (vote passed, obv, and we’re doing 3RR)

I guess I’ve decided:
• any slot in the top 8 works. I’ll get a QB I like or at the least JJ or Chase if I decide to get squirrely. I’ll likely go QB, as I think there are some gems in TLaw & Fields. I’ve seen JJ & Chase go 6/7 fairly frequently, which makes 8 even better for QB if that happens.
• ideally I’ll have 1.01-1.03 so I can trade down. I love Mahomes, Allen & Hurts, but I love extra draft picks even more.
• Still tempting to just take the QB if I’m lucky enough yo land a top 5 pick.
• If 1-5 are taken and I have a choice of 6-16, my choice is likely be 1.08. I’d get a QB I like, have a somewhat reasonable turn, and then benefit from the 3RR a bit.
• if I an unlucky enough to get a late pick, I’ll take BPA. Might even have to bite the bullet and draft Watson. 🤢
• if I can get 1.08, maybe offer up my own 2024 1st or other draft capital to try for 1.09 or 1.10 so I can start with 2 QBs, or a QB/elite tier WR

I’m getting excited though! I believe the draft starts tomorrow.

Last edited:
Destination Devy podcast with Connor & Vanek have done a mountain of stuff on it in the last few months since the season ended, all worth a listen
I’m not finding start-up specific content on their YT - can you post a link or two?
I don't think they've done startup mocks on Destination Devy.

Here's some random links when I searched 'dynasty startup mock drafts' and filtered for videos released in the past week. I can't speak to the validity of any of these videos but it's somewhere to start.

https://www.youtube.com/live/SL8Ri50FkKU?feature=share
https://www.youtube.com/live/zW3AYhwvCMw?feature=share
https://www.youtube.com/live/dk7i2u-lrOg?feature=share

I’m not finding start-up specific content on their YT - can you post a link or two?

Not sure about YouTube, I listen through the podcast app on my iPhone. Startup chat is mingled through a lot of their podcasts from March - April. A quick look and I see one specific titled episode from Apr 8th. There’s more stuff in and around there. It’s. Bit hazy to me because I consume a LOT of stuff, their podcasts are quite long and I often listen in bed and snooze off

Not sure about YouTube, I listen through the podcast app on my iPhone. Startup chat is mingled through a lot of their podcasts from March - April. A quick look and I see one specific titled episode from Apr 8th. There’s more stuff in and around there. It’s. Bit hazy to me because I consume a LOT of stuff, their podcasts are quite long and I often listen in bed and snooze off
Awesome, thanks. I’ll look further for that - I already subscribe to their YT, but I’ll check out their pod for sure. :hifive:

Awesome, thanks. I’ll look further for that - I already subscribe to their YT, but I’ll check out their pod for sure. :hifive:

Player Profiler Sonic Truth Dynasty Podcast has a startup pod from 1 day ago. I haven’t listened yet

I landed Slot 1.02

Slot 1.01 took 1.13 :oldunsure:

I took 1.01
:pickle:

I might try to trade down to 6-7

Or I might just kick off this start-up with Mahomes.

Last edited:
I was almost hoping to land 1.08 tbh. Would made my life easier. But I can't resist the possibility of getting some free picks to move down to 1.07=ish to take TLaw.

I still might keep Mahomes. :oldunsure:

I was almost hoping to land 1.08 tbh. Would made my life easier. But I can't resist the possibility of getting some free picks to move down to 1.07=ish to take TLaw.

You may have already said but when does your draft start ? Do you have link to share so we can follow along ? What site do you use ? Sleeper, MFL or something else ?

I loathe the 31 picks until 2.01, but I’m low-key excited about having back to backs for 3.16/4.01, 5.16/6.01

That’s really going to come in handy for the IDP picks starting in the 5-6-7 rounds.

If I can nab an extra 2nd & early 3rd it’ll go a long way towards making up for having to wait so long.

General philosophy:

QB - a star is cool, but you don't need one. You need one reliable option, want two, then take a volume approach. All season long.
RB - it's a lot easier to build your team around an anchor, but don't force the issue. If you get one then volume approach to surround him - and be frugal with capital. With active in-season management band aids can be found.
WR - again, you don't need a great one, but you need a core. This is a position that you can add to each offseason, but it is exceptionally difficult to find anything useful post draft. Always stock your bench with young upside options.
TE - see above, but finding something playable off the scrap heap in-season is more realistic.
DE - need one young star, two reliable vets, then pepper your bench with young guys that could pop. Like TE, not realistic to find a gem in-season, but can find something playable if in a jam.
LB - reliable starting lineup, but bench is all dart throws then keep throwing them in-season. Unlike DE these can develop out of nowhere.
S - minimal draft capital on starters then take selective risks on young players for your bench
DT - if you can get a star, cool, but if not then something late.
CB - don't bother til the day before week 1

This was my team from the 2 hole in a similar format (big play heavy IDP) 2 years ago:
QB Stafford, Baker, Winston, Brissett
RB CMC, RoJo, Pollard, Mattison, Hubbard, 3 more srubs
WR Godwin, Cooper, R Woods, Beckham, Fuller, Mike Williams, Hardman, P Campbell, 3 more scrubs
TE Kittle, Trautman, Knox, Njoku, 2 more scrubs
DE Chase Young, JJ Watt, Clowney, P Turner, R Gary, Nwosu
LB Warner, Kendricks, L David, Shaq Thompson, 3 more scrubs
S L Collins, C Clark, J Holland, 3 more scrubs
DT J Simmons
CB Shrug

Not great, huh? Of course - that's how any draft goes. Some singles, some extra base hits, some mishits, some what the **** are you doing's. So what's next?

Attack the waiver wire as noted above then as you accumulate depth flip starters for 2's (Cordarelle Patterson and David Long) and buy them for 4's (Khalil Mack and Cameron Jordan). All of Anthony Walker, Josey Jewell, D'Onta Foreman, Raheem Mostert, Grant Delpit, Andre Cisco, Juwan Johnson, Taylor Heinecke, Brock Purdy, and Mike White were acquired off waivers.

Resist trading up in the draft, but rather move down a few picks and add something useful next year. Moved around to net 4 picks between 21 and 33 - George Pickens, Troy Anderson, Wan'Dale Robinson, and Kyle Hamilton. Repeated this year (picks 19-35) and left with Tyjae Spears, Rashee Rice, Luke Schoonmaker, and Nolan Smith.

New roster:
QB Stafford, Baker, Purdy, Brissett, Winston, Heinecke
RB CMC, Pollard, Mattison, Mostert, Spears, Z Evans, S Tucker, D Henderson, M Gordon
WR Godwin, Cooper, M Williams, Pickens, Hardman, Beckham, R Rice, W Robinson, K Phillips, D Bell
TE Kittle, Njoku, Knox, Schoonmaker, J Mitchell, L Thomas
DE Mack, Jordan, C Young, Nwosu, R Gary, Greenard, S Williams, N Smith, Okornwko
LB Warner, Kendricks, L David, Shaq Thompson, Jewell, T Anderson, A Walker
S Delpit, Holland, Cisco, Clark, Hamilton, Mapu
DT J Simmons, D Jones
CB Shrug

Took home runner up year one, the ship year 2, and have an extra 2 in the holster in each of the next 2 drafts. I never make all-in moves to have the best team, but I try to position myself to always be in contention then see if I can get hot at the right time.

General philosophy:

QB - a star is cool, but you don't need one. You need one reliable option, want two, then take a volume approach. All season long.
RB - it's a lot easier to build your team around an anchor, but don't force the issue. If you get one then volume approach to surround him - and be frugal with capital. With active in-season management band aids can be found.
WR - again, you don't need a great one, but you need a core. This is a position that you can add to each offseason, but it is exceptionally difficult to find anything useful post draft. Always stock your bench with young upside options.
TE - see above, but finding something playable off the scrap heap in-season is more realistic.
DE - need one young star, two reliable vets, then pepper your bench with young guys that could pop. Like TE, not realistic to find a gem in-season, but can find something playable if in a jam.
LB - reliable starting lineup, but bench is all dart throws then keep throwing them in-season. Unlike DE these can develop out of nowhere.
S - minimal draft capital on starters then take selective risks on young players for your bench
DT - if you can get a star, cool, but if not then something late.
CB - don't bother til the day before week 1

This was my team from the 2 hole in a similar format (big play heavy IDP) 2 years ago:
QB Stafford, Baker, Winston, Brissett
RB CMC, RoJo, Pollard, Mattison, Hubbard, 3 more srubs
WR Godwin, Cooper, R Woods, Beckham, Fuller, Mike Williams, Hardman, P Campbell, 3 more scrubs
TE Kittle, Trautman, Knox, Njoku, 2 more scrubs
DE Chase Young, JJ Watt, Clowney, P Turner, R Gary, Nwosu
LB Warner, Kendricks, L David, Shaq Thompson, 3 more scrubs
S L Collins, C Clark, J Holland, 3 more scrubs
DT J Simmons
CB Shrug

Not great, huh? Of course - that's how any draft goes. Some singles, some extra base hits, some mishits, some what the **** are you doing's. So what's next?

Attack the waiver wire as noted above then as you accumulate depth flip starters for 2's (Cordarelle Patterson and David Long) and buy them for 4's (Khalil Mack and Cameron Jordan). All of Anthony Walker, Josey Jewell, D'Onta Foreman, Raheem Mostert, Grant Delpit, Andre Cisco, Juwan Johnson, Taylor Heinecke, Brock Purdy, and Mike White were acquired off waivers.

Resist trading up in the draft, but rather move down a few picks and add something useful next year. Moved around to net 4 picks between 21 and 33 - George Pickens, Troy Anderson, Wan'Dale Robinson, and Kyle Hamilton. Repeated this year (picks 19-35) and left with Tyjae Spears, Rashee Rice, Luke Schoonmaker, and Nolan Smith.

New roster:
QB Stafford, Baker, Purdy, Brissett, Winston, Heinecke
RB CMC, Pollard, Mattison, Mostert, Spears, Z Evans, S Tucker, D Henderson, M Gordon
WR Godwin, Cooper, M Williams, Pickens, Hardman, Beckham, R Rice, W Robinson, K Phillips, D Bell
TE Kittle, Njoku, Knox, Schoonmaker, J Mitchell, L Thomas
DE Mack, Jordan, C Young, Nwosu, R Gary, Greenard, S Williams, N Smith, Okornwko
LB Warner, Kendricks, L David, Shaq Thompson, Jewell, T Anderson, A Walker
S Delpit, Holland, Cisco, Clark, Hamilton, Mapu
DT J Simmons, D Jones
CB Shrug

Took home runner up year one, the ship year 2, and have an extra 2 in the holster in each of the next 2 drafts. I never make all-in moves to have the best team, but I try to position myself to always be in contention then see if I can get hot at the right time.
This is all good s***, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I won’t decide until the AM, but

1.15+5.02+2024 1st+2024 2nd for 1.01+8.01

We’ll see what else comes in. That’s probably a no, but it’s not terrible. If that 5.15 was 2.02 it might be worth it.

I won’t decide until the AM, but

1.15+5.02+2024 1st+2024 2nd for 1.01+8.01

We’ll see what else comes in. That’s probably a no, but it’s not terrible. If that 5.15 was 2.02 it might be worth it.
Quantity > quality at startup. As you hit on low cost acquisitions and accumulate future draft capital then you can use that accumulated depth to cash in on a big get. I just did that in a single QB to get Bijan, moving Mahomes and 1.6 to move up to 1.1 as I still have Watson to start and Cousins + Geno backing up. I am setting the table to do something similar on the team I showed above at QB, it'll probably be CMC but if Stafford has a strong start maybe I can 2-for-1. Worst case, I have 2 future and given my existing depth can likely get more if needed to throw at the problem without creating another short term hole.

You could have just taken 1.08 since it was available. Not sure why all the worry. Seems like you could have taken any pick you wanted and then chose something you wanted to trade out of immediately.

I guess you were just hoping to use that leverage if someone really was desperate for pick 1.01

I guess you were just hoping to use that leverage if someone really was desperate for pick 1.01
This is exactly what I was hoping, yes. I wasn’t stressed so much as wanting to profit off of my good fortune.

And the “downside” is I get Mahomes, who’s still a fine pick, and will likely still have some trade value after the draft.

Dude, it'll help if you embrace the suck. Pre-rank younger QBs, Younger WRs over RB and elite TEs over other players. I "Embraced the Suck" Year 1. My goal was to add value where players might peak Year 2-3. I still 'accidentally' made the playoffs and took 5th. But then 2nd, 1st, 1st, 2nd last 4 years. I had some lucky moves. I try to draft or over pay for QBs before they're elite. I try to acquire 1st round picks from players early in the season before they realize they're terrible. I turned Courtland Sutton and Nelson Agholor into #3 overall Tua from a team that was 3-0 and finished 4-9. If you count up the QB1s that are young that you like. Are you getting a good one Round 1? Next can you get elite WR1? Best available talent? If a RB1 under 25 falls in my lap, I'm taking him. BUT probably looking to trade for JJefferson, JChase.... Top WR who should have longer shelf life. With SNAKE DRAFT. If you're tanking. Don't trade 1st. Trade your 2nd... right now your 2024 2nd rounder is more valuable than if you know you're tanking. If you're winning it all... keep your second. 3rd Round draft picks in the future are easier to say yes to. I'd grab like John Metchie... wait for him to splash and trade him... it might be a discount. But I now to FA/WW and turned it into a future pick. With about5 deals a year I can upgrade that pretty easily and I have my "TARGET LIST" I own JJefferson, AJBrown, JWaddle, COlave, GWilson, DLondon, CGodwin, Rmoore, . Jefferson was dropped by impatient owner. So was AJBrown. BUT they were on my target, upgrade list. I saved my WW priority for that type of player. NOT Marvin Jones' JR breakout play. My Long Term grade on RDoubs isn't as high as some. I'm not using priority on that. I did Use priority in 2018 on Ryan Fitzpatrick and immediately sold him for 1st. Great deal for me. Owner at the time was happy. I'm staying away from the CKupps, Tyreek Hills, MThomas, Diggs, ...It takes patience and discipline not to go that route to fill an injury or BYE week or whatever. IF you TANK in 2023... Caleb Williams Marvin Harrison JR seem like elite caliber players to own. IF you get JJEFF, JCHASE, Lamb, Waddle, Olave JSN you should be in great shape. I avoided RBs for a bit. Get your QBs figured out. Start targeting elite WRs... then start acquiring RBs. ZEvans? Tyjae Spears? Go full sleepers in Year 1 where they're not getting the carries. Henry retires? DCook moves on? Ekeler or Akers FA.... You don't want them doing so well right now. Think NCHUBB 2018. 3 carries game until week 7. TEP.... I trust you'll know whom to target. I think PITTS is premier but Dalton Kincaid could be right there with a better OFF situation. Other TE values to be had too. I think IDPs will have LOWER value as long as the entire league doesn't know how to value them. Everyone will know what the RB1 overall is worth even if they value it differently. But if 10 out of 14 guys don't comprehend the value of IDPs...even top IDPs won't carry as much trade value until they understand it. This can take educating. I'd play dumb and start asking questions about how it works adn what do they think. I think a Geno Smith could be viable for longer than people think. I'm not big on him but I live in the NW. I imagine RWilson will have a better year. He's talented enough and young enough to have 3-5 solid years in DEN. He sucked last year. I own him. I know. I own TUA...he makes me nervous. I own SKylar Thompson as insurance with upside. Brock Purdy is legit. I'm hoping trey lance gets a shot this year.

You don't totally control if you win. It's takes luck. You can improve your odds by have the best players, a valuable team.
I want a valueable starting line-up. with high level subs. My QB values used to be Tops in my league at startup and moves to improve haven't totally paid off. BUt hoarding WRs and limiting to elite TEs in not TEP league has worked. AND I'm loaded with picks. I'm actually gonna have to sell them.
QB Watson, Tua, RWIlson, TLance, SKyler THompson.
WR JJefferson, AJBrown, JWaddle, COlave, GWilson, DLondon, CGodwin, RMoore,
RB: JTaylor, NCHubb, JKDobbins, AJDillon, DPierce, Brian Robinson JR.
TE: Kelce, GOedert
IDP ROquan Smith, BWagner, JSanborn
2QB, 3WR, 2RB 1TE 1/WT, 1W/R 1W/R/T...
I hoard WRs because I think elite WRs last longer than RBs.
I also noticed that...to fill a starting roster each week. I can start up to 6WRs...but max 4RBs and 3TEs. If I'm going to hoard a position. WRs the way to go.
This means it frees up my BN spots to some extent to work WW/FA.
I came in 2nd last year 10 team league NO SNAKE any more. So my picks are:
#9, #11, #13, #19, #29, #30.
We only draft about 3rds.
Last year I had 5 of the first 16 picks. #2, #5, #9.... It's been ridiculous.
Only CHUBB WATSON, WILSON are orignal drafted players.
I've sucked at some drafts. I enjoy Waldman's RSP for resource and time saver.
By focusing on Tier 1 talent. I've built a solid roster in a short time.
RB has had a lot of turn over in the league. I'll take a stud or a younger starter.
Last year I was trying to go 3-peat and lost. Otherwise I might have traded away KELCE if I could acquire Pitts.
I would have traded Godwin too perhaps
I wasn't trying to draft BRobinson JR or GWilson but they fell to me and they contributed.
I didn't move them.
I do NOT like having 6 top 10-11 WRs to the extent you can second guess who starts/sits.
I'm not going to start GWilson OVER Jefferson ever straight up if I had to make a choice. JTaylor over AJ Dillon...even if I'm wrong. I can live with that.

Sometimes you'll lose. Don't sacrifice roster value for temporary value like winning a week. Better to lose and keep players you want with long term value that get some backup in there that doesn't have a future or is only temporary. If you've got the roster space FINE but I'd take speculative Sam Howell over Jacoby Brissett. Still I'm not looking to build around Howell. But he'll carry more trade value. Keep guys that are somewhat attractive. Can get you a 3rd rounder or better or equivalent in your league.

Zero RB can be a sneaky good move, especially in a deep league like yours. QB-WR-WR-TE or WR-QB-TE-WR ain't a bad way to kick things off either, depending on your pick. And hey, if a QB falls to you in the second and it feels right, why not go QB-QB? Gotta trust those instincts, mate.

Users who are viewing this thread