What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club - DotM: Steven Spielberg (1 Viewer)

What streaming options do you have?

• Netflix

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Prime

Votes: 21 95.5%
  • Hulu

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Disney Plus

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Kanopy

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Tubi

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Criterion Channel

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Top 10 tracks from the scores of Spielberg movies. No coincidence that they're all John Williams and all pre-Artificial Intelligence (the movie)

10. Cadillac of the Skies - Empire of the Sun
9. March -1941
8. Flight To Neverland - Hook
7. Main Theme - Schindler's List
6. Hymn To The Fallen - Saving Private Ryan
5. Main Title & First Attack - Jaws
4. Wild Signals - CEOT3K
3. Raiders March - Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. Main Theme - Jurassic Park
1. Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye - E. T.

Last edited:
Kind of flipping the script here for what's probably my final Spielberg: What is a modern movie that's clearly indebted to Spielberg? I chose Guardians of the Galaxy. I read it's Spielberg's favorite superhero movie and that Gunn as credited movies like Indy as being a huge influence on him. This series is new to me so I am curious to see what I think of it. I am really unfamiliar with the Marvel universe.

Kind of flipping the script here for what's probably my final Spielberg: What is a modern movie that's clearly indebted to Spielberg? I chose Guardians of the Galaxy. I read it's Spielberg's favorite superhero movie and that Gunn as credited movies like Indy as being a huge influence on him. This series is new to me so I am curious to see what I think of it. I am really unfamiliar with the Marvel universe.

I'm out if Gunn is the director for February

Guardians of the Galaxy was fine. I don't get the love for it. The audio/visuals were really good and it certainly had a nice sense of humor to it. I see the Indy inspiration, the Spielfberg sci-fi influence (but lots of Star Wars too), it aims to be very heartfelt and the main character has some family stuff going on with his dead mom. So I did feel the influence in it. But the plot was really dumb and at no point did I care or really understand anything that was going on. I am never going to understand this Marvel craze. Chances of me finishing this trilogy are 0.0001%

Mac and Me (1988)

This notorious E.T. rip-off earned director Stewart Raffill a Razzie for worst director, an honor that has so far eluded Spielberg. The movie is shameless in its lack of originality and for prominent product placement. The setup is sort of familiar: a displaced single-parent family traveling to their new home in the San Fernando Valley pick up a wide-eyed alien named Mac who's escaped from a government facility. The kids understand the creature is harmless and work to reunite Mac with his family of aliens.

It's pretty awful but not unentertaining. Mac and Me starts with the basic E.T. elevator pitch and adds in cheesy 80s music videos, a meme worthy scene of a kid in a wheelchair sailing off a cliff, a pack of dogs chasing the alien driving a toy car, wild horses running alongside a minivan and an alien in a bear suit dancing on the counter of a McDonalds. Ronald McDonald even gets a few lines. The government agents chasing Mac appear periodically to advance the plot, provide an excuse for an action scene and then disappear so the kids can get into more mischief. The story gets kind of dark and very weird in the last 30 minutes before ending with a statement more radical than Spielberg dared in The Terminal.

The funniest thing is Mac and Me had a $13M budget while E.T. was shot six years earlier for $10.5M (figures not adjusted for inflation). E.T. is a much better film but at least Mac and Me manages to be better than E.T. the videogame.

Was there some sort of colorful glow orb thingy they had to track down?
Yep- though I guess that’s comparable to the Indy movies. I can see why someone would say “who cares about some old cup” or “what the heck is the ark of the covenant?”

Last edited:
Well, I am glad I decided on a different route yesterday than Eephus and 80s. I saw a list of Spielberg's favorite movies and our next director's favorite movies and watched (well, started) the one that I saw on both lists - The Best Years of Our Lives. I'm half way through and loving it so far. This morning I was thinking about how powerful that movie would have been just a couple years after the war ended. I also found myself thinking of The Deer Hunter a lot while watching it.

Was there some sort of colorful glow orb thingy they had to track down?
Yep- though I guess that’s comparable to the Indy movies. I can see why someone would say “who cares about some old cup” or “what the heck isn’t be ark of the covenant?”
Very fair point. Marvel movies can be good, but IMO it's always the smaller stories or the ones grounded on our planet at least. They lost me big time as they left Earth. The best ones for me were Cpt. America, Iron Man, and the first Spiderman. I don't get the love for Thor or GotG movies at all.

And I will do another thread for Feb today sometime. After thinking about it, I agree that it will be easier to have a thread for each and just link in the OP the previous ones. That way people can add on observations as they watch other movies or if directors are still alive and put out a new movie.

Well, I am glad I decided on a different route yesterday than Eephus and 80s. I saw a list of Spielberg's favorite movies and our next director's favorite movies and watched (well, started) the one that I saw on both lists - The Best Years of Our Lives. I'm half way through and loving it so far. This morning I was thinking about how powerful that movie would have been just a couple years after the war ended. I also found myself thinking of The Deer Hunter a lot while watching it.
It should be talked about like It’s a Wonderful Life and Casablanca as the greatest classic Hollywood movie ever made.

I stumbled on this movie ~10 years ago and was instantly smitten.

Regarding what I bolded, with it coming out in 1946, I think it wouldn't have both captured the immediacy of postwar America and some of the issues it would deal with for the next decade still being conceived if it had been made even a year later.
It should be talked about like It’s a Wonderful Life and Casablanca as the greatest classic Hollywood movie ever made.
I've talked about this film on this board before. I'm impressed by how it manages to be both timely and timeless at once.

Guardians of the Galaxy was fine. I don't get the love for it. The audio/visuals were really good and it certainly had a nice sense of humor to it. I see the Indy inspiration, the Spielfberg sci-fi influence (but lots of Star Wars too), it aims to be very heartfelt and the main character has some family stuff going on with his dead mom. So I did feel the influence in it. But the plot was really dumb and at no point did I care or really understand anything that was going on. I am never going to understand this Marvel craze. Chances of me finishing this trilogy are 0.0001%

The second one with Russell is better than the first. Third is meh but the by the time the third came out marvel was already trending down

I think we need a Peter Weir discussion next because my favorite Directors are Spielberg, Wyler and Weir.

I think we need a Peter Weir discussion next because my favorite Directors are Spielberg, Wyler and Weir.
The shell for the 1st 5 months are down, but those are some very good names for after that.

I like all three GotG movies. They're like buddy cop stories. Quill is the renegade cop, Gamora is the frustrated chief, Groot and Drax are the rookies...

Mac and Me (1988)

This notorious E.T. rip-off earned director Stewart Raffill a Razzie for worst director, an honor that has so far eluded Spielberg. The movie is shameless in its lack of originality and for prominent product placement. The setup is sort of familiar: a displaced single-parent family traveling to their new home in the San Fernando Valley pick up a wide-eyed alien named Mac who's escaped from a government facility. The kids understand the creature is harmless and work to reunite Mac with his family of aliens.

It's pretty awful but not unentertaining. Mac and Me starts with the basic E.T. elevator pitch and adds in cheesy 80s music videos, a meme worthy scene of a kid in a wheelchair sailing off a cliff, a pack of dogs chasing the alien driving a toy car, wild horses running alongside a minivan and an alien in a bear suit dancing on the counter of a McDonalds. Ronald McDonald even gets a few lines. The government agents chasing Mac appear periodically to advance the plot, provide an excuse for an action scene and then disappear so the kids can get into more mischief. The story gets kind of dark and very weird in the last 30 minutes before ending with a statement more radical than Spielberg dared in The Terminal.

The funniest thing is Mac and Me had a $13M budget while E.T. was shot six years earlier for $10.5M (figures not adjusted for inflation). E.T. is a much better film but at least Mac and Me manages to be better than E.T. the videogame.

I enjoyed Best Years Of Our Lives.

I'm not sure anything would get me to watch Mac And Me. Maybe if one of my kids were held hostage - but not the other one.
Totally opposite for me. Eephus, your write up has me soooo intrigued I have to watch that movie. I am somewhat of a B(C,D,E...) movie guy so there is that. Any chance to see an alien in a bear suit dancing on the counter at McD's is a chance I can't pass up!

I like all three GotG movies. They're like buddy cop stories. Quill is the renegade cop, Gamora is the frustrated chief, Groot and Drax are the rookies...
I just found Groot and the talking raccoon irritating. I guess unlike the Marvel movies listed, I have no connection or care about those types of characters in the Marvel universe.

Totally opposite for me. Eephus, your write up has me soooo intrigued I have to watch that movie. I am somewhat of a B(C,D,E...) movie guy so there is that. Any chance to see an alien in a bear suit dancing on the counter at McD's is a chance I can't pass up!

This.is.cinema
wow 🤣 Oh my god, that movie had a 13 million dollar budget? They must of had the good Columbia powder in vats for the cast and crew.

wow 🤣 Oh my god, that movie had a 13 million dollar budget? They must of had the good Columbia powder in vats for the cast and crew.

The alien survives on a diet of Coca Cola which may be symbolic.

I'd be remiss if I didn't share infamous wheelchair scene from Mac and Me.

Actually the film has many infamous wheelchair scenes because the lead actor used a wheelchair in real-life because of spinal bifida. To the film's credit, they never make a big deal of his disability.

Ready Player One is now streaming on Netflix :oldunsure:
I had a pretty negative reaction to this one, but also want to give it another try sometime.

The book was so much better. Spielberg made many strange changes in the movie from the book that drove me crazy. Prob never going to watch it again. Honestly Spielberg has really fallen off. I haven't liked much of what he's done this century. I liked catch me if you can. What was that, like 20 years ago?

Users who are viewing this thread