What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Top 200 Horror Movies of All Time: #107: They Live (2 Viewers)

Altered States - I didn't think of that when going through my horror lists. I would not have ranked it as high as Shuke but may have included it in my top 75.
Black Christmas - Somehow, I have never heard of this one but it certainly peaks my interest.
Grind house - I rated the 2 movies individually but loved both. Just a great cinematic experience and just the right amount of cheese.

#172 - Scanners​

After a man with extraordinary—and frighteningly destructive—telepathic abilities is nabbed by agents from a mysterious rogue corporation, he discovers he is far from the only possessor of such strange powers, and that some of the other “scanners†have their minds set on world domination, while others are trying to stop them.

David Cronenberg
Supernatural, Sci-Fi
Canada

IMDB: 68
Metacritic: 60
RottenTomatoes: 80

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UveLSA7Hoj8

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/scanners

Voter Ranks
dickey dad 37
Todem 45

#171 - The Body Snatcher

Edinburgh, 1831. Among those who undertake the illegal trade of grave robbery is Gray, ostensibly a cab driver. Formerly a medical student convicted of grave robbery, Gray holds a grudge against Dr. MacFarlane who had escaped detection and punishment.

Robert Wise
Thriller
USA

IMDB: 74
Metacritic: NA
RottenTomatoes: 81

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJO0BImGChY

Streaming:

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-body-snatcher

Voter Ranks

dickey dad 5

#172 - Scanners​

After a man with extraordinary—and frighteningly destructive—telepathic abilities is nabbed by agents from a mysterious rogue corporation, he discovers he is far from the only possessor of such strange powers, and that some of the other “scanners†have their minds set on world domination, while others are trying to stop them.

David Cronenberg
Supernatural, Sci-Fi
Canada

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
dickey dad 37
Todem 45

Another one I really struggled with adding. Really enjoy the movie. Definitely a midnight classic in my hometown at the local theater, remember seeing it many times back in the day. Cronenberg is one of my favorite horror directors

#177 - Black Christmas​

An escaped maniac returns to his childhood home on Christmas Eve, which is now a sorority house, and begins to murder the sorority sisters one by one.

Bob Clark
Slasher, Christmas
Canada

IMDB: 72
RottenTomatoes: 64

Trailer:

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/search?q=black christmas

h
c

Watched this today. Very, very good. I had seen the remake which was ok, but never the original.

#172 - Scanners​

David Cronenberg
Supernatural, Sci-Fi
Canada

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
dickey dad 37
Todem 45
That head explode scene is what makes this - like Gallagher smashing a watermelon.

#177 - Black Christmas​

An escaped maniac returns to his childhood home on Christmas Eve, which is now a sorority house, and begins to murder the sorority sisters one by one.

Bob Clark
Slasher, Christmas
Canada

Trailer:

Streaming:

h
c

Watched this today. Very, very good. I had seen the remake which was ok, but never the original.
The 2006 remake was decent. The 2019 one was trash

Time for the stoner ramble on my thoughts of some movies brought up. I was talking to somebody at work, and posted something similar to somebody via PM as well. IMO, the start of the "horror or not horror" conversation would start something like:

1. Is the violence/horror on screen or off?
2. Is the story about the people the horror is happening to, and are we with them in the movie?
3. What is the tone and atmosphere of the movie?

There are other things, but to me that starts to get at the core of what I am talking about. Thoughts on the movies talked about by name:

The Terminator: Watched it last night and I think it was the least horror of the examples. I forget how much time we are with Reese, how many times we are in the future, how many scenes are with the cops, how many car chases there are, etc.. I get what people are saying - there are definitely some jump scares and some shots look out of a horror movie - for example, the scene where Slider and Sarah's roommate get it. To me this is firmly sci-fi with scenes of horror. I imagine we will have a highly ranked example of a horror movie in a sci-fi setting on the countdown.

Se7en: I posted before this thing that I thought neither this or silence was horror. I am sticking with that for this one. Looking above, why I think it's not horror is we are largely following the detectives after the fact, the violence is off screen, and before the end the main scene with the killer was an action foot chase vs. a horror scene. Yes, it's a dark movie and has some horrific scenes and probably one of the best jump scares I've had in the theater (I heard on a pod that Sloth was a surprise to the actors too). That's why I posted earlier that it's as close to a horror a detective flick can get to a horror without being one. To me the mirror of Se7en would be something like Kill List. That felt like a horror movie shot in the style of a detective movie. Or...

Silence of the Lambs - Why I came around on Silence is again because of thinking of the above 3 things. First, I underestimate how gnarly the atmosphere and settings are. Mental institution, self storage rental, Bill's house and basement. We are also there for the abduction, Hannibal escape, in the house with Clarise at the end, etc.. We are there for the horror and with the people the horror is happening to -so much so that Demme has Hannibal staring straight into the camera at us.

:shrug:

#177 - Black Christmas​

Bob Clark
Slasher, Christmas
Canada

Trailer:

Streaming:

h
c

:yes: That was the worst horror movie I had seen in a very long time. Then I saw the newest Children of the Corn movie and it got bumped off the podium.

#177 - Black Christmas​

Bob Clark
Slasher, Christmas
Canada

Trailer:

Streaming:

h
c

:yes: That was the worst horror movie I had seen in a very long time. Then I saw the newest Children of the Corn movie and it got bumped off the podium.
I didn’t know they made a 2019 remake. I was referring to the 2006 version. Lacy Chabert.

Time for the stoner ramble on my thoughts of some movies brought up. I was talking to somebody at work, and posted something similar to somebody via PM as well. IMO, the start of the "horror or not horror" conversation would start something like:

2. Is the story about the people the horror is happening to, and are we with them in the movie?

There are other things, but to me that starts to get at the core of what I am talking about. Thoughts on the movies talked about by name:

The Terminator: Watched it last night and I think it was the least horror of the examples. I forget how much time we are with Reese, how many times we are in the future, how many scenes are with the cops, how many car chases there are, etc.. I get what people are saying - there are definitely some jump scares and some shots look out of a horror movie - for example, the scene where Slider and Sarah's roommate get it. To me this is firmly sci-fi with scenes of horror. I imagine we will have a highly ranked example of a horror movie in a sci-fi setting on the countdown.

Se7en: I posted before this thing that I thought neither this or silence was horror. I am sticking with that for this one. Looking above, why I think it's not horror is we are largely following the detectives after the fact, the violence is off screen, and before the end the main scene with the killer was an action foot chase vs. a horror scene. Yes, it's a dark movie and has some horrific scenes and probably one of the best jump scares I've had in the theater (I heard on a pod that Sloth was a surprise to the actors too). That's why I posted earlier that it's as close to a horror a detective flick can get to a horror without being one. To me the mirror of Se7en would be something like Kill List. That felt like a horror movie shot in the style of a detective movie. Or...

Silence of the Lambs - Why I came around on Silence is again because of thinking of the above 3 things. First, I underestimate how gnarly the atmosphere and settings are. Mental institution, self storage rental, Bill's house and basement. We are also there for the abduction, Hannibal escape, in the house with Clarise at the end, etc.. We are there for the horror and with the people the horror is happening to -so much so that Demme has Hannibal staring straight into the camera at us.

Disagree about Se7en. If the violence had been onscreen, it would've received an NC17 rating. The images of the aftermath are some of the most horrific in cinema and were enough. I think that qualifies. Also, I don't know what city it was set in, but they depicted it as a bleak and almost hopeless setting, making things even more horrific.

#177 - Black Christmas​

Bob Clark
Slasher, Christmas
Canada

Trailer:

Streaming:

h
c

Lol. You ARE high…

Disagree about Se7en. If the violence had been onscreen, it would've received an NC17 rating. The images of the aftermath are some of the most horrific in cinema and were enough. I think that qualifies. Also, I don't know what city it was set in, but they depicted it as a bleak and almost hopeless setting, making things even more horrific.
But that's only a part of it, as I posted. As I read your post Zodiac popped into my mind. We wouldn't have had to see the violence, but if it had scenes like Zodiac or Silence where we are there with the people as the killer is stalking them, it would have crossed that line. To me a big part with Se7en is that we are with the detectives, coming in after the murders - it's very much their story.

#177 - Black Christmas​

Bob Clark
Slasher, Christmas
Canada

Trailer:

Streaming:

h
c

Lol. You ARE high…
Who told you that?? :oldunsure:

But that's only a part of it, as I posted. As I read your post Zodiac popped into my mind. We wouldn't have had to see the violence, but if it had scenes like Zodiac or Silence where we are there with the people as the killer is stalking them, it would have crossed that line. To me a big part with Se7en is that we are with the detectives, coming in after the murders - it's very much their story.
I feel like the tone and atmosphere of Se7en exudes horror and that's one of your criteria.

And you could argue that Brad Pitt is the victim of horror in it and it's very much his story.

#174 - Altered States​

A research scientist explores the boundaries and frontiers of consciousness. Using sensory deprivation and hallucinogenic mixtures from native American shamans, he explores these altered states of consciousness and finds that memory, time, and perhaps reality itself are states of mind.

Ken Russell
Psychological
USA

IMDB: 69
Metacritic: 58
RottenTomatoes: 86

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67lYG7a4YOA

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/altered-states

Voter Ranks
shuke 15
I think this was on my dad's list too.

#172 - Scanners​

David Cronenberg
Supernatural, Sci-Fi
Canada

Trailer:

Streaming:

Voter Ranks
dickey dad 37
Todem 45
That head explode scene is what makes this - like Gallagher smashing a watermelon.
I always like to slo-mo these types scenes in pre-cgi movies to get a good look at the dummy/mannequin they use.

None of the films on my list have been mentioned yet.
This had me panicked for a minute but I checked your list and it makes sense. A lot of the movies coming up at this point are ones that people only had on their list and had them highly ranked. All of yours that are in that range also have a lot of other votes so they’re ranked higher overall and are coming up later on.

#176 - The Dead Zone​

Johnny Smith is a schoolteacher with his whole life ahead of him but, after leaving his fiancee's home one night, is involved in a car crash which leaves him in a coma for 5 years. When he wakes, he discovers he has an ability to see into the past, present and future life of anyone with whom he comes into physical contact.

David Cronenberg
Supernatural, King
USA

Metacritic: 69
RottenTomatoes: 90

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxJp_VQ5VUk

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-dead-zone-stephen-king

Voter Ranks
IvanKaramazov 61
Todem 31

King, Cronenberg, and Walken? Really have no good reason why I've never seen this, other than the trailers don't look all that great.

#174 - Altered States​

A research scientist explores the boundaries and frontiers of consciousness. Using sensory deprivation and hallucinogenic mixtures from native American shamans, he explores these altered states of consciousness and finds that memory, time, and perhaps reality itself are states of mind.

Ken Russell
Psychological
USA

IMDB: 69
Metacritic: 58
RottenTomatoes: 86

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67lYG7a4YOA

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/altered-states

Voter Ranks
shuke 15

Love this movie. Hurt's acting is top notch.

The Blackwell Ghost 2: meh, we are going with a Paranormal Activity kind of offering and while I am susceptible and like that style so far its a little too much filler and not enough oompf. It does have promise however and my ocd wont let me quit it so I'll keep going where the story leads. 2 down, 6 to go.

#176 - The Dead Zone​

The Dead Zone is a great book. Ranked #5 on my list of favorite King stories. The movie is a very good adaptation and definitely worth checking out. Though I never really thought of it as horror. There are certainly elements of it, of course, but I think King himself saw it as less horror than his earlier novels. And the movie spares some of the time and detail of the Castle Rock murders compared to the book. Still a great choice.

#176 - The Dead Zone​

The Dead Zone is a great book. Ranked #5 on my list of favorite King stories. The movie is a very good adaptation and definitely worth checking out. Though I never really thought of it as horror. There are certainly elements of it, of course, but I think King himself saw it as less horror than his earlier novels. And the movie spares some of the time and detail of the Castle Rock murders compared to the book. Still a great choice.
I was a Stephen King kid. My mom was a voracious reader and to this day buys every one of his books on release in hardback. Then buys the paperback for re-reads. The Dead Zone was a weird one for a 10 year old to process, but I still liked it. Was unimpressed by the movie as a kid. The book and the movie have shot to the top 5 on my list as an adult. Christopher Walken was great in this one.

#176 - The Dead Zone​

I was a Stephen King kid. My mom was a voracious reader and to this day buys every one of his books on release in hardback. Then buys the paperback for re-reads. The Dead Zone was a weird one for a 10 year old to process, but I still liked it. Was unimpressed by the movie as a kid. The book and the movie have shot to the top 5 on my list as an adult. Christopher Walken was great in this one.
Yeah, this is one of those movies that is better and more unsettling when you're an adult. There's nothing scary about Greg Stillson when you're a kid, but it's not difficult to find real-life parallels to that character.

#177 - Black Christmas​

Bob Clark
Slasher, Christmas
Canada

Trailer:

Streaming:

h
c

I never even knew they made a remake in 2006.

That 2019 reboot was extremely bad.....just awful.

#176 - The Dead Zone​

Yeah, this is one of those movies that is better and more unsettling when you're an adult. There's nothing scary about Greg Stillson when you're a kid, but it's not difficult to find real-life parallels to that character.
Well....growing up in the Cold War Era (Nuclear missiles pointed at each other).......Stillson was a tyrannical and believable maniac in The Dead Zone!!! But I get your point.

The Castle Rock Murders in the first half of the movie were damn creepy.

#170 - Dead Alive​

A young man's mother is bitten by a Sumatran rat-monkey. She gets sick and dies, at which time she comes back to life, killing and eating dogs, nurses, friends, and neighbors.

Peter Jackson
Zombie/Virus, Body
New Zealand

IMDB: 75
Metacritic: 54
RottenTomatoes: 88

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogj4f-V--h0

Streaming:
NA

Voter Ranks
Yambag 14
Forgot about that one! Just gets crazier and crazier. Good call.

#168 - The Blob​

Remake of the 1958 horror sci-fi about a deadly blob which is the spawn of a secret government germ warfare project which consumes everyone in its path. Teenagers try in vain to warn the townsfolk, who refuse to take them seriously, while government agents try to cover up the evidence and confine the creature.

Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr
Sci-Fi
USA

IMDB: 64
RottenTomatoes: 66

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-heIT3L9Qg

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-blob-1958

Voter Ranks
dickey dad 31
UncleZen 70
WVU Alum 56
Love that trailer.."IT CRAWLS"

#169 - The Collector​

Desperate to repay his debt to his ex-wife, an ex-con plots a heist at his new employer's country home, unaware that a second criminal has also targeted the property, and rigged it with a series of deadly traps.

Marcus Dunstan
Home Invasion, Torture
USA

IMDB: 64
Metacritic: 29
RottenTomatoes: 30

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE1sL7QWL5c

Streaming:
https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/the-collector-2009

Voter Ranks
Scoresman 14

I ranked this one so highly because it is just so well made. The protagonist is actually smart and makes good decisions, but is still evenly matched by an even smarter villain. It's a nonstop cat and mouse game that is filled with tension in a house filled with deadly booby traps. Think Home Alone meets Saw, but much heavier on the Saw. There is no way you can watch this and not have a good time. The sequel is also very good.

Users who are viewing this thread