What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

High Speed Rail (1 Viewer)

A few good points brought up here by Chadstroma & Koya.

-The only way people are going to ride it is if it's better than the option of driving. Several factors could make a high speed rail more attractive than driving. a) Gas prices are too expensive b) Traffic is too bad c) parking is too expensive

I took an urban planning course last spring and learned that urban planners love congestion. You pretty much need congested chaos for projects like these to make sense.

Another issue is that usually infrastructure is playing catch-up to population growth. In the HSR case, and the Ybor City Trolley, the infrastructure will be there first.

Also, like Koya mentioned you are never going to see direct revenue from an infrastructure project. How much money is made off of an interstate?
You are never going to see direct revenue from infrastructure but it sure as heck does enable the ability to bring in revenue. Our interstate system was a huge part of our ability to grow as a nation after WWII. It is often overlooked but it is a real economic fact.

So Gov. Rick Scott has decided to turn down the 2 billion in federal money to construct the HSR from Orlando to Tampa. Now the money goes to the other states on the list, like California. So as an American I will be paying taxes for a HSR in California and then when they screw up their budget we will pay again to keep the thing afloat.

If the money wasn't spent at all I wouldn't of cared but it's not like he is saving the country money. It's already spent.

So Gov. Rick Scott has decided to turn down the 2 billion in federal money to construct the HSR from Orlando to Tampa. Now the money goes to the other states on the list, like California. So as an American I will be paying taxes for a HSR in California and then when they screw up their budget we will pay again to keep the thing afloat.If the money wasn't spent at all I wouldn't of cared but it's not like he is saving the country money. It's already spent.
So, in other words you should be mad at all the governors that did accept the money?

So Gov. Rick Scott has decided to turn down the 2 billion in federal money to construct the HSR from Orlando to Tampa. Now the money goes to the other states on the list, like California. So as an American I will be paying taxes for a HSR in California and then when they screw up their budget we will pay again to keep the thing afloat.If the money wasn't spent at all I wouldn't of cared but it's not like he is saving the country money. It's already spent.
So, in other words you should be mad at all the governors that did accept the money?
The President handing out money isn't the issue here as that money has already been allocated to trains. The debate for me was either take it or let someone else have it. I can't blame anyone for taking something that is given to them for free so I hope it is successful in other states.

The President handing out money isn't the issue here as that money has already been allocated to trains. The debate for me was either take it or let someone else have it. I can't blame anyone for taking something that is given to them for free so I hope it is successful in other states.
It does not matter much where it goes... I don't think it will be useful from the discussion here. That is unless plane ticket prices skyrocket along with gas. I do not think people will use these much (other than those who maybe don't drive and hate flying) until it makes sense.

Last May I took the high-speed Thalys from Amsterdam to Paris. Pulled out my GPS at a number of points to see how fast we were going. Maxxed out at 300km/h (about 185mph). Very smooth ride, though, and really didn't feel like it was that fast.

Last May I took the high-speed Thalys from Amsterdam to Paris. Pulled out my GPS at a number of points to see how fast we were going. Maxxed out at 300km/h (about 185mph). Very smooth ride, though, and really didn't feel like it was that fast.
All the rails they want to put here are expected to be much slower. I want a mag Lev!

They have a rail planned for the East coast of FL called All Aboard FL rail. It is being sold as a passenger rail, that is 100% privately funded. The HSR the Gov. turned down from Orlando to Tampa was going to be paid for by the the federal government.

The catch is that the All Aboard FL rail is primarily about freight. It will be finished about the same time of the massive port expansion in Miami that will allow much larger ships in. The other thing is that it isn't really 100% privately funded. They are asking for a $1.5 billion federal loan. People on the East Coast are pissed because it is going to bring up to 50 more trains a day on existing tracks.

I'd rather see a faster high tech train, but overall it should be good for the state.

Users who are viewing this thread