What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans forever - Stefon Diggs acquired. Hot Diggity (1 Viewer)

Demeco was robbed. Stefanski won coach of the year.
Absolutely robbed. We all know who won that award. It’s ok, the future is very bright and he’ll remind the league again next year.
All good candidates. I see the argument for Stefanski with all the QBs he had to use. At least DeMeco beat Stefanski in the playoffs.
Final logs I’ll throw on this fire - Stefanski also had that incredible defensive performance all year, including the DPOY. The 4 QBs narrative makes it sound like all were performing like late season Flacco as the reason.

DeMeco and CJ were the first rookie & rookie coach in NFL history to win their division. Ever. We had won 7 games the past two years and 11 the past three. DeMeco also did what he did primarily on the backs of rookies where Stefanski did it with vets.

Will Anderson Jr, 2023 AP Defensive Rookie of the Year!
Remember when everyone blasted Houston for trading up to get Anderson? I'm sure all of those folks have forgotten they did so this morning.
To me the most surprising thing is that it truly appears that the McNairs and Caserio were pushing for CJ, Ryans was pushing for Anderson. They made the call to get both to appease both sides and…surprisingly…both sides were right.

Holy crap, just found out Bobby Slowik went to the same college I did. Which isn't unusual for you people who went to big schools, but for us Michigan Tech grads that isn't nearly as common.
No ****? A good friend of mine went to Michigan Tech. He's a legend in his profession (geotechnical engineering). I think he may be a bit older than you are, so I doubt you were there at the same time. His name's Jeff Goodwin.

Doesn't ring a bell, but cool you know a Techie. :) I was a physics major, but ended up picking up a minor in geophysics with a late change of major so was around the geology department at least. Though sounds like that might have been something taught out of the civil engineering department.

Remember when everyone blasted Houston for trading up to get Anderson? I'm sure all of those folks have forgotten they did so this morning.

Yep and that first found pick we gave up in 2024 was expected to be a Top 5 type pick. Instead it's 27 :thumbup:

I was definitely critical of the trade at the time, but not rabidly so. It was the combination of expecting that pick to be in the top few picks, plus it didn't seem like Anderson was regarded as the kind of pass rusher that seemed it would justify it. So felt like just to meet what they gave up he'd have to hit his ceiling.

Well, while the sack total wasn't there, the pass rush overall was. With only Micah Parsons and Garrett having better pass rush win rates. Plus he was a top run stopper among edge players. So they definitely made a better call than I would have. Very refreshing saying that about a Texans front office.

Last edited:

Yep and that first found pick we gave up in 2024 was expected to be a Top 5 type pick. Instead it's 27 :thumbup:

I was definitely critical of the trade at the time, if not rabidly so. It was the combination of expecting that pick to be in the top few picks, plus it didn't seem like Anderson was regarded as the kind of pass rusher that seemed it would justify it. So felt like just to meet what they gave up he'd have to hit his ceiling.

Well, while the sack total wasn't there, the pass rush overall was. With only Micah Parsons and Garrett having better pass rush win rates. Plus he was a top run stopper among edge players. So they definitely made a better call than I would have. Very refreshing saying that about a Texans front office.
I was on the record as wanting Young instead of Stroud or to take Anderson if Young went #1 so questioned if the trade was worth it to get both. I am more than happy to eat some humble pie! :suds: I still have a lot of concerns with some of Caserio's moves especially in regards to squandered cap space, but I can't argue with the results this year. They've got some of the biggest problems solved in coach, QB, DE, LT, CB1, WR, and they are trying to address the offensive line problems, they've got some pieces on defense, and I liked a lot of the waiver moves and trades they made. The kinds of moves that i think make a lot of sense and low cost to take a chance on cast-offs that may rebound from other teams.

Now I hope we let a few of those 1 year guys walk to big contracts and get some comp picks, and hopefully retain a few that live up to extensions with an eye towards the cap. Greenard may be too expensive but finding another DE in the draft may be tough. Spending on LB's is generally not the best idea IMO (and Ryans can probably turn any # of LB'ers into stat stars), especially one-year wonders like Cashman, but given his injury history hopefully his price tag will be relatively reasonable. I am torn on the draft, we definitely need defensive playmakers, but it's a deep year at OT and WR and both areas we need more help at IMO. May be able to find a very good right tackle in the mid-late 1st (or a guard in the mid rounds and move Howard back to RT which he's getting paid highly to play) and WR's are very deep into the 2nd or 3rd round. I think we need another pass-catcher at WR or TE (think we should let Schultz and Noah Brown walk.) Obviously if we can trade down and pick up an extra 2 or future 1st that would be ideal, but this early before seeing what the Texans do in FA just hoping for BPA I guess.

Edit: Wouldn't mind taking a swing at a good FA RB like a Barkley. I know it goes against my concerns about the salary cap, but I think that is one area where they could really upgrade the offense easily/immeditately in 2024 and there don't look to be too many options to try to do that in the draft.

Last edited:
Every time I see something saying how much cap room we have, it has dropped another $8 million or so. Was up around $90m going into the season, was $70m by the end of the season, and I think I saw $51m the other day.

Part of me wants to let Schultz walk, mostly because of his drops. I'm not sure they are going to find another option though with other holes to fill. If he's willing to stick around for not too outrageous of money I'd probably re-sign him.

ETA: Overthecap has us at $57m and Spottrac has us at $65m.

I'd like to get Chris Jones off the Chiefs and add him to our DL. Way better chance these next few years against Mahomes without Jones making so many big plays for their defense. Add him to Anderson. Don't know how the money works or what that does for Greenard, but we have to get better on both lines.

I'd like to get Chris Jones off the Chiefs and add him to our DL. Way better chance these next few years against Mahomes without Jones making so many big plays for their defense. Add him to Anderson. Don't know how the money works or what that does for Greenard, but we have to get better on both lines.

I wouldn’t mind it, will be hard for KC to keep him as he’ll be looking for the largest non-QB contract out there. Like something Bosa just got for like $33MM to $35MM per year. I’ve seen Greenard projected around $18MM per year as a FA, Texans would have to do some creative structuring but they have some flexibilty and lots of space but that’d also mean letting a few other guys walk. A front 4 of Anderson, Maliek, Jones, & Greenard would be very exciting though!

Salary cap increased $30 million. More than expected. Not a good year to have 30 free agents you need to re-sign or replace.

The lawsuit by Janice McNair's son Cary to try to be appointed guardian over her affairs, has been dropped. So presumably her other son Cal McNair will continue with being in charge of the Texans.

Salary cap increased $30 million. More than expected. Not a good year to have 30 free agents you need to re-sign or replace.

It's going to be interesting. With all these great free agent RBs out there, hopefully we'll have room to sign one of them. 🤞 Saquon

The NFLPA survey among players of each of the teams is out.

Miami and Vikings finished 1 and 2. Texans were 7th.

Chiefs were 31, which is extra eye opening as they included a head coach evaluation this year and it was given a heavy weighting, and Andy Reid finished #1 there. Apparently the Chiefs haven't done much in the way of improvements with their facilities, and then promised a locker room renovation but it didn't happen (they said because of the late playoff run it wouldn't have been finished in time).

Texans grades were:
Treatment of families: B+
Food/cafeteria: A-
Dietician/Nutrionist: A-
Locker Room: B
Training Room: B+
Training Staff: B+
Weight Room: B

Snippets from https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ston-texans-nfl-scouting-combine-18693416.php

Among the things Caserio talked about were how he goes about evaluating prospects, Nico Collins’ contract situation, and his desire to sign defensive end Jonathan Greenard and Blake Cashman, who are set to become free agents this offseason, to extensions.

The GM said Cashman exceeded expectations, with his role growing each year. The Texans originally traded for him to help on special teams, but he became their most consistent linebacker in 2023.

“If we’ll have the opportunity to bring him back, he’ll have a good role on the team.”

When asked about Collins and whether he thought he could get a contract extension done with the wide receiver and his agent, Caserio seemed optimistic.

Collins is represented by Drew Rosenhaus, who also represents Greenard and several other Texans players who have gotten deals done in the past.

But Caserio added that the Texans likely will wait until after free agency to begin discussions about Collins.

My side note: I heard mention that Demeco talked about a contract for Nico without anyone bringing it up, but I didn't hear the actual interview myself.

The Houston Texans and tight end Dalton Schultz have agreed to a three-year, $36 million contract, with $23.5 million fully guaranteed, a source confirmed to ESPN.

After landing in Houston, Schultz had his second-highest receiving yards total for a season (635). His most noteworthy output came in Week 9 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, when he had 10 catches for 130 yards and a touchdown, his lone 100-yard performance of the season.

Among tight ends last season, Schultz ranked 12th in receiving yards, tied for seventh in touchdowns (five), and 12th in receptions (59).

My take: He was 12th in receiving yards and receptions. $12m per year makes him the 12th highest paid tight end. Given that is compared to contracts received in previous years, while the salary cap is going way up for the coming year so you'd expect future TE contracts to be worth even more, I'm going to say that's a decent deal.

My only hesitation about him is he seemed to have a lot of drops, with a few of them just being outright didn't pay attention to the ball long enough.

ESPN graded the signing as a B+, for Schultz being the best TE on the market, and a thin TE draft class so tough to replace from this class.

Not that Brevin Jordan is rostered in many leagues, but it's safe to drop him now. The only reason to have rostered him was if Schultz left.

Probably most surprising thing is that the contract amount is quite reasonable. Given the ratio of guaranteed vs overall amount gotta wonder if it's really structured more as a two-year deal with a 3rd year option. Gives a semi-reliable pass-catching TE option, but probably not a big deterrent to finding an upgrade at some point in the relative future.

Rumors are Chiefs are optimistic on resigning Chris Jones. Madubuike got tagged by the Ravens. Christian Wilkins is looking like maybe the last big DL target out there in FA as the Dolphins probably can't afford to resign him. I would be fine going after him as an upgrade on Rankins, the rest of the guys out there seems like it'd be better to resign Rankins. With other upgrade options like Higgins tagged at WR, Sneed tagged at CB it doesn't look like it will be an exciting FA for us. Might be resigning more of our own guys after Shultz today as speculated. There are some castoffs/reclamation projects out there at corner and safety that might be good rolls of the dice vs contract amounts that are worth looking at.

Depending on which internet article you believe we either aren't interested in Barkley or are the favorites to land him so we'll see there. I don't like the idea of running it back with just Singletary and some other guy, he's decent backup level material IMO. It'd be pretty fun to land Barkley

The Texans are bringing back veteran kicker Ka'imi Fairbairn on a three-year deal, a person with knowledge of the agreement told the Chronicle Wednesday.

Fairbairn's deal is three years, worth $15.9 million, the source said, making him one of the five highest-paid kickers in the NFL.

Fairbairn's representation and the Texans were close on a deal Tuesday afternoon but were off by a few hundred thousand dollars, the source said. They reached that agreement Wednesday morning, ensuring one of the NFL's most accurate kicker the past two years will remain with the Texans through the 2026 season.

Good that they are getting some of the key pieces re-signed. Other than the injuries, Ka'imi has been a top level kicker.

The Texans announced their coaching staff for the 2024 season, and it is largely the same from the previous year.

The Chronicle previously reported that they had hired Bill Davis to replace Chris Kiffin as the linebackers coach, promoted Rod Wright to replace Jacques Ceasaire as the defensive line coach and hired former Colts defensive line coach Nate Ollie to serve as assistant defensive line coach.

But they also hired former University of Kentucky offensive line coach Zach Yenser to be an assistant offensive line coach. The Texans also hired a new offensive and defensive assistant: Sean Baker on defense and Mike Snyder on offensive.

The continuity on the staff means there likely won’t be much change in scheme or philosophy.

Slowik, quarterbacks coach Jerrod Johnson, Wright and several other coaches were up for other jobs but decided to stay with the Texans after an 11-8 finish in Ryans’ first year as head coach.

He'll be in big demand most assuredly, but with the Broncos releasing Justin Simmons this morning it's the rare opportunity to bring in an All-Pro starter for a major area of need for us at Safety.

Kind of hoping we get news of Greenard re-signing before Monday. That would really help our flexibility going into free agency and the draft to have him locked back up, plus Schultz and Ka'imi.

Just an FYI, the Chiefs re-signed Chris Jones to a 5 year deal, with $95m guaranteed in the first 3 seasons. Haven't heard the actual total value.

Defensive tackle Folorunso Fatukasi is staying in the AFC South after being released by the Jacksonville Jaguars last week.

Fatukasi has agreed to a one-year contract with the Texans, a source confirmed to ESPN.

The former 2018 sixth-round pick is known for being a run stuffer and is expected to fill that depth role on the Texans' defense. He is familiar with coach DeMeco Ryans' defensive system because he played under New York Jets coach Robert Saleh. Both Ryans and Saleh were San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinators before taking their current jobs.

Last season, Fatukasi had 24 tackles, including three for loss, in 16 starts.

Fatukasi, 29, signed with the Jaguars on a three-year, $30 million contract with $20 million guaranteed in 2022, but the run-stuffing tackle did not equal his production from the previous two seasons he had with the New York Jets in 2020 and '21, when he combined for 88 tackles, 11 tackles for loss and 11 quarterback hits.

In his two years with the Jaguars, Fatukasi had 48 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 5 tackles for loss and 5 quarterback hits.

My Jets fan friend said: "Damn, was hoping the Jets would sign him back. He's good. Wide body, good run stuffer. You'll like him."

He also was the one who told me Blake Cashman would be a great signing for us.

The Texans have reached an agreement with defensive tackle Khalil Davis to return on a one-year deal, a person with knowledge of the deal told the Chronicle on Saturday.

Davis, who joined the Texans last season, after a stint in the USFL, became a key contributor on the defensive line. He was a regular in the rotation and adds depth.

The Texans reached an agreement to re-sign safety Eric Murray to a one-year deal, a source confirmed to the Chronicle. They also reached an agreement with the representation of Kris Boyd on a one-year deal.

Murray has been with the Texans since the 2020 season. He provides much-needed depth and can start when needed.
Last season, he started in four games and played in six at safety while the Texans dealt with injuries to starters Jimmie Ward and Jalen Pitre. He had 13 tackles and a forced fumble.

Boyd, who played for the University of Texas in college, joined the Texans in October when he signed to the practice squad. He was promoted to the active roster in December and played primarily as a special-teamer.

Texans' pending free agents​

• DE Jonathan Greenard
  • LB Blake Cashman
  • CB Steven Nelson
  • LB Denzel Perryman
  • RB Devin Singletary
  • DT Sheldon Rankins
  • WR Noah Brown
  • P Cam Johnston
  • RT George Fant
  • DE Derek Barnett
  • C Scott Quessennberry
  • C/G Michael Deiter
  • RB Dare Ogunbowale
  • LB Neville Hewitt
  • CB Tavierre Thomas
  • S Grayland Arnold
  • RT Charlie Heck
  • TE Eric Saubert
  • S Adrian Amos
  • S DeAndre Houston-Carson
  • DT Teair Tart
  • DT Hassan Ridgeway
  • OT Josh Jones
  • WR Steven Sims
  • OT DJ Scaife

DT Christian Wilkins is one of the names people have talked about the Texans could/should go after. He's signing with the Raiders.

And the Titans are signing RB Pollard, another name people have suggested for Houston.

I'm honestly kind of hoping we get Saquon. Even though I usually would rather pay a RB little and spend the money on the line. He's a special case.

(Note I added update to last post)

Also WR Tee Higgins who was franchise tagged, is asking the Bengals for a trade.

And Greenard to the Vikings for 4 years, $72m.

Damn, $18m a year. Would have taken that price. Edit: Ok that's assuming it's truly 4 years and not like, 3 years at $24m but spread across a 4th dead year for salary cap purposes.

Edit again: Elsewhere is saying 4 years $76m

We're losing everyone today. Casserio needs to sharpen his FA chops. It always seems like we're getting leftovers and filling the holes with 1 year contracts.

We're losing everyone today. Casserio needs to sharpen his FA chops. It always seems like we're getting the leftovers.

I'd have liked to re-sign Greenard and then get one high end free agent. But beyond that, the leftovers tend to be the better values.

If they can get free agents from the later waves like they did last year, I'll definitely take that. They had a lot of people outplay their contracts.

We're losing everyone today. Casserio needs to sharpen his FA chops. It always seems like we're getting the leftovers.

I'd have liked to re-sign Greenard and then get one high end free agent. But beyond that, the leftovers tend to be the better values.

If they can get free agents from the later waves like they did last year, I'll definitely take that. They had a lot of people outplay their contracts.

I'm bummed about Greenard and Cashman. Was also hoping for one of the stud RBs. I guess I'm not confident lightning will strike again but maybe Casserio is a value wunderkind of sorts with these free agency scrubs.

Definitely seem to be playing the comp pick game. I don’t hate it but they are going to have to hit again on some reclamation projects and bargain FA’s. There are still some big names out there at Safety and LB’er though I believe.

Is Derrick Henry a possibility at a bargain rate now?

Definitely seem to be playing the comp pick game. I don’t hate it but they are going to have to hit again on some reclamation projects and bargain FA’s. There are still some big names out there at Safety and LB’er though I believe.

I was literally just reading up on the compensatory pick formula before making a comment about we might end up with some extra picks with the potential FA losses.

I think Henry is a possibility. I'm not sure if we'll get him at a bargain rate as I'll be surprised if there isn't interest in him. I'm honestly a little leery of him, I think he's going to keep dropping off. But I'd take him for a year, maybe two.

What do you guys think about Aaron Jones? Packers told him he's going to be released, now they are signing Josh Jacobs.

I was literally just reading up on the compensatory pick formula before making a comment about we might end up with some extra picks with the potential FA losses.

I think Henry is a possibility. I'm not sure if we'll get him at a bargain rate as I'll be surprised if there isn't interest in him. I'm honestly a little leery of him, I think he's going to keep dropping off. But I'd take him for a year, maybe two.

Yeah, I am just thinking Swift, Jacobs, Barkley all snatched up 1st day and even Singletary and Gibson now that Henry seems like an odd man out. Maybe his asking price is too high at 30 and not ever being a big pass catcher? Maybe not bargain rate but at least maybe a discount since many of the landing spots are disappearing for him. Jones might be a good option but he’ll have to have help as I doubt he can last a full season.

The Texans have agreed to deals with former Falcons cornerback Jeff Okudah and ex-Titans defensive tackle Denico Autry, a source confirmed to the Chronicle.

Okudah, a 6-foot-1, 202-pound cornerback and the third overall pick in the 2020 draft, is expected to immediately compete for a starting role left vacant by Steven Nelson. He started in 31 of 38 career games with Detroit and Atlanta, where he played last season.

Autry is also expected to start. The 33-year-old defensive tackle had 11½ sacks last season for the Titans, which was a career high. He also had 12 tackles for loss. Autry’s would be considered the first big agreement the Texans have reached with a player from another team.

The Texans inquired about defensive tackle Christian Wilkins but could not reach his number.

We lost P Cam Johnson to the Steelers.

Edit: We also signed Lonnie Johnson who was an old draft pick ours, played for a few other teams after we traded him.

Users who are viewing this thread