What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans forever - Stefon Diggs acquired. Hot Diggity (3 Viewers)

Okudah: one-year deal. Initial reports worth $4.75 million with $2.5 million guaranteed.

Autry might probably end up offsetting Blake Cashman as compensatory picks go. Or thereabouts anyway.

Non-NFL side note, the Chronicle's Texans page was blocking me for about 3 days this week because I had an ad blocker. Wanted me to sign up for a 25 cent subscription.

But it's working today. Thank God I didn't shell out that 25 cents.

Last year's 4th round draft pick, DE Dylan Horton, announced that his absence from the team has been due to a diagnosis of Stage 4 Hodgkin’s lymphoma. But he announced that he's currently in remission, so good news there.

Definitely seem to be playing the comp pick game. I don’t hate it but they are going to have to hit again on some reclamation projects and bargain FA’s. There are still some big names out there at Safety and LB’er though I believe.

Is Derrick Henry a possibility at a bargain rate now?

I was literally just reading up on the compensatory pick formula before making a comment about we might end up with some extra picks with the potential FA losses.

I think Henry is a possibility. I'm not sure if we'll get him at a bargain rate as I'll be surprised if there isn't interest in him. I'm honestly a little leery of him, I think he's going to keep dropping off. But I'd take him for a year, maybe two.

Yeah, I am just thinking Swift, Jacobs, Barkley all snatched up 1st day and even Singletary and Gibson now that Henry seems like an odd man out. Maybe his asking price is too high at 30 and not ever being a big pass catcher? Maybe not bargain rate but at least maybe a discount since many of the landing spots are disappearing for him. Jones might be a good option but he’ll have to have help as I doubt he can last a full season.

AJ Dillon could be a nice value addition. Always liked him in college.

The Texans and defensive back Mike Ford have reportedly reached a two-year deal worth $4.5 million, per NFL Network.

Ford, a six-year veteran, spent last season with the Browns, making one start. He's also played for the Lions, Broncos and Falcons.

The Texans reached an agreement Monday with linebacker Azeez Al-Shaair, reuniting the former 49ers linebacker with DeMeco Ryans, who was his defensive coordinator in San Francisco, according to a person with knowledge of the discussions.

The deal is reportedly for three years and $34 million, according to NFL Network.

The is the Texans' second push at Al-Shaair. They tried to get him in free agency in 2023, but he went to Tennessee on a one-year deal last year.

Al-Shaair had 163 tackles in his lone season with the Titans. He played some middle linebacker and some on the weak side and would fill in nicely after the Texans lost Blake Cashman to the Vikings earlier Monday.

The Texans were serious contenders in the sweepstakes for ex-Giants running back Saquon Barkley, according to a person with knowledge of the discussions.

The source added that the Texans were "in the mix strong."

Barkley was interested in them, too, but ultimately the Eagles made the best offer, offering him a three-year deal for $37.75 million. Barkley's deal made him fourth highest-paid running back in the league.

The Texans agreed to a two-year, $6 million contract with former Chiefs punter Tommy Townsend, per ESPN. He will replace Cam Johnston, who left for Pittsburgh on Monday.

Former Ohio State wide receiver Noah Brown is re-signing with the Houston Texans on a one-year deal, according to multiple reports.

The Texans reached an agreement Monday with linebacker Azeez Al-Shaair, reuniting the former 49ers linebacker with DeMeco Ryans, who was his defensive coordinator in San Francisco, according to a person with knowledge of the discussions.

The deal is reportedly for three years and $34 million, according to NFL Network.

The is the Texans' second push at Al-Shaair. They tried to get him in free agency in 2023, but he went to Tennessee on a one-year deal last year.

Al-Shaair had 163 tackles in his lone season with the Titans. He played some middle linebacker and some on the weak side and would fill in nicely after the Texans lost Blake Cashman to the Vikings earlier Monday.
Wanted Al-Shaair last year when he was leaving San Fran, figured he'd follow DeMeco to the Texans but it didn't happen then. Better player than Cashman IMO, and significantly cheaper than Patrick Queen would be.

Like the Autry signing too, would have preferred someone much younger and long-term but seeing how much Jones, Wilkins, and Madubuike got paid I like the value even if it's just a short-term fill-in at his age.

Still hoping for an impact signing at Safety 🤞

I think I'm hoping for Aaron Jones at RB at this point.
Agreed. Looking at how many options went elsewhere, our swing at RB was pretty disappointing.

If we assume Pearce might be better in year two of the offense, Jones is the right kind of fit for what Singletary brought. Not a fan of Mixon and Henry feels a bit too much like Pearce. If the staff has given up on Pearce, it’d be funny to see them grab Jones & Dillon.

I’d still like to see us get in the Higgins mix. Get him, Jones, and one more ST and then we go full BPA in the draft.

I think I'm hoping for Aaron Jones at RB at this point.
Agreed. Looking at how many options went elsewhere, our swing at RB was pretty disappointing.

If we assume Pearce might be better in year two of the offense, Jones is the right kind of fit for what Singletary brought. Not a fan of Mixon and Henry feels a bit too much like Pearce. If the staff has given up on Pearce, it’d be funny to see them grab Jones & Dillon.

I’d still like to see us get in the Higgins mix. Get him, Jones, and one more ST and then we go full BPA in the draft.
I think giving up picks plus a big contract rarely end up being a good choice, re: Higgins. Especially at a high price position.

I am rarely upset at not being a big player on day 1 of free agency. Yes it feels great to see a big name acquired. But I think rarely do the teams who win free agency end up doing well from it.

When paying premium money it is tough to get an actual good value. And easy to have them fall off or not be a good fit and end up a bad value.

Nuts.

Aaron Jones, one day after being released by the Green Bay Packers, is expected to sign a one-year, $7 million deal with the rival Minnesota Vikings, his agents told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Nuts.

Aaron Jones, one day after being released by the Green Bay Packers, is expected to sign a one-year, $7 million deal with the rival Minnesota Vikings, his agents told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Seems like the Vikings are signing all of our targets. Damn you Cousins!

Mixon is a nice acquisition just curious how much we gave up for him. Can't imagine it being anything more than a late round pick.

RB Joe Mixon has 1 year left with a $6.1 mil cap hit including bonuses.

Linebacker Del'Shawn Phillips, a special teams member of the Baltimore Ravens, has agreed on a one-year deal. Phillips, 27. has played primarily special teams for the Bills, Jets and Ravens. He was part of 79% of Ravens' special teams plays last season.

Nuts.

Seems like the Vikings are signing all of our targets. Damn you Cousins!

Mixon is a nice acquisition just curious how much we gave up for him. Can't imagine it being anything more than a late round pick.

Yes, I'd hope it'll be late round. With Henry signing elsewhere, and not much left of quality at RB, not a bad move if they toss out a 7th round pick to make sure he can't sign somewhere else.

The Texans entered the offseason looking to upgrade at linebacker. They negotiated with Ravens' free agent Patrick Queen, who was second-team All-Pro in 2023, and offered $10 million per year, per source. Queen’s camp wanted more, and the Texans signed former Titans LB Azeez Al-Shaair instead. -- DJ Bien-Aime, Texans reporter

Questions I just asked in the Mixon thread (for anyone in general):

(1) Was HOU migrating to the zone blocking system last year?

(2) How will Mixon do in that scheme assuming he no longer has the sizzle for outside zone runs?

(3) Is there a site out there that keeps up-to-date listings of what teams use zone vs. gap blocking as their base AND which RB's are more adept to those schemes?

TIA

Questions I just asked in the Mixon thread (for anyone in general):

(1) Was HOU migrating to the zone blocking system last year?

(2) How will Mixon do in that scheme assuming he no longer has the sizzle for outside zone runs?

(3) Is there a site out there that keeps up-to-date listings of what teams use zone vs. gap blocking as their base AND which RB's are more adept to those schemes?

TIA

1) I believe Slowik's offense is an outside zone blocking scheme, where it's up to the RB then to figure out where to go. Which is the part where Dameon Pierce struggled to make the right decision quickly. He did better the previous year in Pep Hamilton's power running offense.

2) If Mixon isn't able to get outside that's going to cut some of his options, definitely. I've got no basis for evaluating where Mixon's game is today though as didn't watch him much, so I'm just talking in general, not giving an opinion on Mixon specifically.

3) If there is I'm not aware of it.

Hunter, 29, produced arguably the best season of his career in 2023 in defensive coordinator Brian Flores' scheme. He finished with 16.5 sacks and 1,006 snaps, both the highest figures of his career. He also earned consistent plaudits from Flores for his ability and willingness to set the edge in the Vikings' run defense, and along the way led the NFL with 23 tackles for loss.

The 2023 season not only capped a remarkable comeback for Hunter, who missed all of the 2020 season and another 10 games in 2021 because of injuries, but also cemented his flexibility within multiple schemes. Hunter amassed the first 60.5 sacks of his career in five seasons as a 4-3 defensive end under former coach Mike Zimmer.

Texans sign D Hunter, 2 years $49 million

I like that. Nice to see them get something back from the Vikings (sans compensatory picks)

Is it a weird contract? 2 years $49MM with $48 MM guaranteed? Maybe see how he does and extend or let him walk if it doesn’t fit?

It'll fit in well while Stroud is on his rookie contract. Take advantage of that cheap value at QB while it lasts.

Hunter + Azeez for 5 years @ $83M vs Greenard + Cashman for 7 years @ $101.5

Nicely done Nick. It likely means most of our big $$ defenders come off the books when we need money to sign CJ too

So we got LB Azeez Al-Shaair for three years and $34 million, after trying to get Patrick Queen from Baltimore, but not being willing to meet his price. Queen went for 3 years, $41m. Queen was second team all pro this year, but there's some concern he might owe some of his success to his surrounding talent.

Nicely done Nick. It likely means most of our big $$ defenders come off the books when we need money to sign CJ too
CJ and Will both. Dang, and Tank. What a draft that was.

Texans sign D Hunter, 2 years $49 million

I like that. Nice to see them get something back from the Vikings (sans compensatory picks)

Is it a weird contract? 2 years $49MM with $48 MM guaranteed? Maybe see how he does and extend or let him walk if it doesn’t fit?

It'll fit in well while Stroud is on his rookie contract. Take advantage of that cheap value at QB while it lasts.

Time is ticking though. Time get that ring while CJ is still cheap.

I think our OL could be vastly improved from last year given the injuries. Really hoping for a healthy 2024 and AFC Championship game 🤞

I think I owe Sweater Vest an apology. He's done pretty good given the hand BOB dealt him.

I think I owe Sweater Vest an apology. He's done pretty good given the hand BOB dealt him.
Yeah I did think people were kind of hard on him. Not that I knew if he would do well or not in the long run. But he had no resources to go out and improve the team with the draft pick situation we were stuck with to start with. And the cap situation wasn't flush with money that I can recall.

I think the one and two year veterans was a good way to go since they were having to overpay at that point. And he ended up playing the Deshaun situation right with what we got for him.

It's been a good free agency I'd say. Filled holes, didn't overpay a lot. And got one difference maker. I didn't want them to land 3 top tier FAs because odds are 2 of them are going to not live up to top value salaries. One is a good amount, and especially as it may have created a position of strength for us on the defense.

Also free us up more in the draft. I much prefer to draft WRs given how much it costs to get a proven one.

Rapaport: Danielle Hunter went to Houston for less than some other teams offered.

Not sure how much of that is because he wanted to go back to his hometown, or if Texas lack of state income tax evened out the offers. Or combination of both I imagine.

Rapaport: Danielle Hunter went to Houston for less than some other teams offered.

Not sure how much of that is because he wanted to go back to his hometown, or if Texas lack of state income tax evened out the offers. Or combination of both I imagine.
Probably playing for what looks like a contender for years to come helps too.

Smart plays this offseason by a team that is in the QB rookie contract window.

You guys should trade for Justin Jefferson. Please and thank you. Time is now while you got your QB on the cheap, it would be glorious.

*Just wishing this into existence.

You guys should trade for Justin Jefferson. Please and thank you. Time is now while you got your QB on the cheap, it would be glorious.

*Just wishing this into existence.

While we'd happily take him, I don't imagine Minny is going to trade. Their GM literally said something about he doesn't want to be part of the team without him, I think I heard today on a show.

Who would you rather have?
*Greenard 4yr 76m 42g
*Hunter 2yr 49m 48g

I typed a bit then deleted for another run at it.

There's a lot of factors here. I'm not a big fan of paying for top end free agents. Too easy to not live up to a price where you had to outbid the league.

But like I said, lots of factors. Greenard is younger, a plus. But he's also far less proven with just the one season of double digit sacks. Still, for other teams I might go with Greenard. A team who is still building and has a ways to go, I might pick him.

Also worth noting though that Hunter is kind of a bargain in terms of total cap price long as he plays. He took less money than he could have got, and if you consider his contract to the other top defenders, people paid more for Wilkins and some others that I'm not sure you'd say are more valuable.

For the Texans situation, they've got a window with a top QB and a DE on rookie contracts, and a rookie WR who did very well, both stats and also in a lot of the metrics like separation. So doing what you can during that window makes a ton of sense. The 2 year deal will help with that, free up money when they are going to be looking to re-up the rookies.

So for Houston I'll say Hunter, but it's not a foregone conclusion I don't think. If this was Arizona I'd probably go with Greenard and hope he outperformed his contract and that sped my rebuild.

Last edited:
From ESPN article.

2024 NFL free agency: Ranking most improved teams of offseason

1. Houston Texans
Key additions: DE Danielle Hunter, RB Joe Mixon, LB Azeez Al-Shaair, DL Denico Autry, DL Foley Fatukasi, CB Jeff Okudah
Notable re-signings: TE Dalton Schultz, K Ka'imi Fairbairn, CB Desmond King, S Eric Murray, DT Khalil Davis

Not only did the Texans make a few splashy additions, but they did so at the expense of their AFC and divisional rivals. Al-Shaair and Autry ranked first and sixth, respectively, on the Titans in defensive snaps last season, and Fatukasi was a solid interior defender for the Jaguars. Hunter, meanwhile, is one of the league's best edge rushers (10-plus sacks in his last four full seasons) and forms a potentially-elite duo with Will Anderson Jr. All four newcomers will play a role in the front seven for a Houston defense that posted the 11th-best defensive expected points added (EPA) in 2023.

Mixon, one of the league's top running backs since entering the league in 2017, was acquired from the Bengals and will replace Devin Singletary as lead back; he ranked fourth in the NFL in touches in 2023. Mixon and Schultz, who signed a three-year, $36 million extension after a successful 2023 season with the team, will be two of second-year QB C.J. Stroud's top playmakers.

Who would you rather have?
*Greenard 4yr 76m 42g
*Hunter 2yr 49m 48g

Greg touched on some of this but Hunter is a proven entity and gives us some flexibility with the 2 year. Greenard gives you upside but he's only done it one year. Injuries have also been an issue for him. I like Hunter for the now

Just saw we are trading DT Maliek Collins to SF Edit: for a 7th rounder so offsetting what we gave up for Mixon. Also saves $8.5MM

Last edited:
Just saw we are trading DT Maliek Collins to SF Edit: for a 7th rounder so offsetting what we gave up for Mixon. Also saves $8.5MM

Spotrac and Overthecap are disagreeing on some details and confusing me.

But I think we will have a $10m cap hit (edit: you can designate a trade post-June 1 so it might be possible to spread over two years). We'll save $8.5m this year and $10m next year in base salaries and roster bonuses.

Edit: If we don't do a June 1 designation, I think we take a $1.5m net hit this year but save $10m next y ear. If we do a June 1, then we save $3.5m on the cap this year, and $5m on it next year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread