What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans forever - Stefon Diggs acquired. Hot Diggity (1 Viewer)

Texans spending:

8. HOUSTON TEXANS: $103,500,000 ($65,785,000 IN GUARANTEES)

Key moves​

Just saw we are trading DT Maliek Collins to SF Edit: for a 7th rounder so offsetting what we gave up for Mixon. Also saves $8.5MM

Spotrac and Overthecap are disagreeing on some details and confusing me.

But I think we will have a $10m cap hit (edit: you can designate a trade post-June 1 so it might be possible to spread over two years). We'll save $8.5m this year and $10m next year in base salaries and roster bonuses.

So I think we actually take a $1.5m net hit for this year unless they can do it post-June 1 designation, but save $10m next year then. And that's if we didn't agree to take on any of his salary (hopefully we didn't).

Yeah, i was going by sporttrac, no dead money as his guaranteed salary and per game active bonus would travel with him to SF. I can’t get overthecap to come up for Maleik for some reason

OTC and Spotrac have us in the $18m-$20m range for cap room left.

Just saw we are trading DT Maliek Collins to SF Edit: for a 7th rounder so offsetting what we gave up for Mixon. Also saves $8.5MM

But I think we will have a $10m cap hit (edit: you can designate a trade post-June 1 so it might be possible to spread over two years). We'll save $8.5m this year and $10m next year in base salaries and roster bonuses.

So I think we actually take a $1.5m net hit for this year unless they can do it post-June 1 designation, but save $10m next year then. And that's if we didn't agree to take on any of his salary (hopefully we didn't).

Yeah, i was going by sporttrac, no dead money as his guaranteed salary and per game active bonus would travel with him to SF. I can’t get overthecap to come up for Maleik for some reason

Look at the bottom of Spotrac's page for him (current dead contracts), and you'll see they put the $10m dead money for Houston in a totally different table.

He had a $15m signing bonus spread over 2023-2025, so only $5m hit the books already.

That leaves us middle of the pack in cap room. 15th most left. Titans have the most, followed by Commanders, Patriots, Bears, all from $72m down to $56m left.

The Texans continued to address needs Wednesday. They agreed to terms with offensive tackle David Sharpe, his agency posted on social media.

Sharpe, who is 6-foot-6 and 343 pounds, played six games for the Carolina Panthers in 2023, spending time on the active roster and practice squad. He played mostly in a special-teams role.

Sharpe provides depth to the Texans' offensive tackle group. Offensive tackles Charlie Heck, George Fant and Josh Jones were set to become free agents Wednesday. Fant is expected to leave, while Heck could return in a backup role.

Sharpe, who was drafted in 2017 by the Raiders, briefly played for the Texans in 2018 before he was released. He has also played for Washington and Baltimore.

OTC and Spotrac have us in the $18m-$20m range for cap room left.

Look at the bottom of Spotrac's page for him (current dead contracts), and you'll see they put the $10m dead money for Houston in a totally different table.

He had a $15m signing bonus spread over 2023-2025, so only $5m hit the books already.

Yes, looks like your are right. For once they were way ahead of the game and had already updated the contract #’s less than an hour after the trade was announced. I’m impressed, usually takes a day or two while they wait to confirm.

I've been seeing a lot of love for the Texans and their free agency moves in the media lately. Fun seeing this team relevant again after a decade of misery:

Yes, sure is nice after that couple of year run we had. ESPN and PFF both had them as the most improved team in free agency.

I don't know if they'll do any more big moves. Probably need to focus on extending Nico.

Defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins and the Cincinnati Bengals are closing in on a contract agreement, a source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

And Fant went back to Seattle.

I’m seeing reports that the Texans were interested in trading for Arik Armstead instead of getting a 7th round pick for Maliek Collins. Deal fell through when we signed Hunter but that was a nice back up plan and I think he we would still be a nice addition. Sorry, dont know how to post links for source as this is my first post…

I’m seeing reports that the Texans were interested in trading for Arik Armstead instead of getting a 7th round pick for Maliek Collins. Deal fell through when we signed Hunter but that was a nice back up plan and I think he we would still be a nice addition. Sorry, dont know how to post links for source as this is my first post…

Yeah I started hearing this from friends too and there's a few news reports out there on it. Mentioned the deal fell through when we signed Hunter (so I'm guessing that means we backed out of it for cap reasons) and instead agreed to sending Maliek for the 7th. Armstead would have been due somewhere between $17m and maybe $23m. Spotrac and Overthecap have some differences and I don't care enough to dig deep to figure it out since he's released.

There are reports that Houston is still interested in Armstead now he's been released, though some other teams are too. I saw speculation from media types that he might not really have room on the line given the other DL signings that Houston has done, so they aren't sure how likely something is to happen or not.

Last edited:
Defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins and the Cincinnati Bengals are closing in on a contract agreement, a source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

And Fant went back to Seattle.

2 years, $26m for Rankins from the Bengals.

Just judging by where free agent rankings have Armstead, he might get a similar sized contract, somewhere around $13m a year. The site I'm looking at his him ranked immediately below Rankins.

Interesting. They locked up Mixon for 3 years ($27m, $13m guaranteed). I think I'd rather have them sort out the RB situation later but in Sweater Vest I trust.

Interesting. They locked up Mixon for 3 years ($27m, $13m guaranteed). I think I'd rather have them sort out the RB situation later but in Sweater Vest I trust.
13 is not too bad…Mixon although not a game breaker any longer certainly can be an asset in the backfield

Mixon's deal: The contract has $13 million in full guarantees, with $9 million in 2024 and $4 million in 2025. He also has per-game roster bonuses of $1 million total in 2024; that’s a high number, but it creates a very clear incentive to be fully available to play.

The Texans have agreed to a two-year deal with defensive tackle Tim Settle, Dianna Russini of ESPN reports. The deal has a maximum value of $7 million with incentives.

Settle visited Houston on Thursday.

The Texans traded Maliek Collins to the 49ers and the Bengals signed Sheldon Rankins, leaving Houston with a need at the position.

Settle, 26, appeared in all 17 games last season for the Bills, with two starts. He totaled 14 tackles and a sack.

In his six-year career with Washington and Buffalo, Settle made 87 tackles, nine sacks and 16 quarterback hits in 95 career games.

Texans traded our 1st and 7th round picks this year to Minny for their 2nd (42), 6th (188) and their 2025 2nd round pick.

Jimmy Johnson draft pick chart:
------------------
23: 760
247: Negligible

42: 480
188: 16.2

Chase's chart:
----------------
23: 14.6
247: Negligible

42: 10.8
188: 1.8

So depends how you value a next year pick, and where you think the Vikes pick will fall. I know they tend to get valued as worth a round later (for time value of money reasons) but I've never really bought into that. That's only true for a GM/coach trying to keep their job. For the franchise itself I don't agree that is a real thing.
If Vikes pick ends up the same, and we don't discount it for being a year later, then we're up 760 to 976 on JJ chart, 14.6 to 23.4 on Chase's chart. Which those gaps equate to a 3rd round pick on JJ's chart, (EDIT:) or a late 2nd on Chase's chart.

Last edited:
Kinda curious move for us honestly. I know the draft is deep, but this feels like it could be a signal of a trade forthcoming to me. We still need another WR and a DT and the clock has started on CJ before we have to pay him.

So I wonder if we're still in on one of those two positions via trade which gives him confidence to move out of the 1st this year. If it's just to kick the can down the road to acquire future picks, it feels mis-aligned to the schedule with the CJ pick hitting last year.

I like it! Kind of odd to see a trade like that this early on. You’d have to think they have their draft tiers already firmed up to drop down. And I like having an extra 2nd quite a bit, hopefully they can draft someone to backfill one of those older Vets on the d’line or secondary.

I like it too. I'm generally in favor of trading back over trading up.

Also while I've supported the free agent moves because of the rookie windows of CJ/Tank/Will, spending in free agency instead of building through the draft and locking down guys is not the preferable way to me to do it. Like Hunter and Christian Wilkins are both evaluated by Spotrac and OTC as being worth $20m a year. We gave Hunter $24.5m a year and Wilkins got $27m a year. And there's similar overspends throughout free agency, guys at the top are going for $5m and more over their value, guys in the next tiers are going for $3m a year over their normal values, etc.

So while we've done that and it made some sense, I like the idea of having an eye towards the future too and knowing that's a 2 or 3 year thing and we need to develop more homegrown talent we cankeep at better value contracts when they are gone. We won't be able to replace Danielle Hunter with another free agent if that money is going to CJ and Will and Tank.

Also agree with what Buckna says. They have their tiers set well enough they should be able to predict what the change will be, so hopefully they don't see a huge fall in talent level with what the change would be.

It was our earliest 7th, the 232, in the trade.

Danielle Hunter is planning to wear #55 out of respect for Watt. He's worn 99 pretty much his entire football career otherwise.

Guaranteed money was a big factor for Hunter in choosing where to sign, he said. Also he attended the Texans-Browns playoff game and liked what he saw of the team while he was there. Said a lot of good about Demeco in his press conference.

I like it! Kind of odd to see a trade like that this early on. You’d have to think they have their draft tiers already firmed up to drop down. And I like having an extra 2nd quite a bit, hopefully they can draft someone to backfill one of those older Vets on the d’line or secondary.

I kind of don't like it. Why push out the pick when we're in a win now situation? If they were set on trading seems like you could get better value holding out closer to draft day. Sometimes Nick gets a little too cute in these drafts but I guess I gotta trust the process.

I kind of don't like it. Why push out the pick when we're in a win now situation? If they were set on trading seems like you could get better value holding out closer to draft day. Sometimes Nick gets a little too cute in these drafts but I guess I gotta trust the process.
I agree, it really does not make a lot of sense to pull a trade like that this early. I do not understand the advantage for HOU to make that trade now. If they got a future first I could understand, but the compensation doesn’t lend to making the trade early imo.

Before he was traded from the Chargers to the Bears on Thursday, wide receiver Keenan Allen revealed that Los Angeles had permitted him to explore several options for where he wanted to continue his career after spending 11 seasons with the franchise.

"There were a couple teams that they would allow me, I guess, to say where I wanted to go," Allen said Saturday. "I only had like two teams."

Those two teams were the New York Jets and the Houston Texans, according to Allen.

To move up from No. 42 to No. 23 and land a second first-round pick -- they also own No. 11 -- the Vikings moved down one round on Day 3 and sent a 2025 second-rounder to the Texans. For Houston general manager Nick Caserio, this is some extra draft capital after moving up in last year's draft to grab edge rusher Will Anderson Jr.; the 23rd pick was the third and final first-round pick Houston landed from Cleveland as part of the Deshaun Watson trade.

By the draft charts, this is an easy win for the Texans. The Johnson chart values this as a 21% premium as part of moving up, while the Stuart chart sees this more like a 51% premium. The analytically inclined Vikings are likely using something similar to the Stuart chart in their internal calculations, so I doubt they were naive about the cost they were paying to get that extra selection. Analytically inclined teams also usually value future picks more than old-school organizations, so this seems at odds with how Minnesota would handle its draft capital.

I think the Texans need to take some steps to increase their chances during the rookie contracts. But I don't believe in going so all-in that when you have to hand out the contracts, you end up with not much around them. You need to keep finding more talent out of the draft so you have that pipeline of lower price guys for the future.

I'm almost always in favor of trading down a first round pick for extra shots at the draft. Would have to cause you to miss someone special for me to not like it.

I agree, it really does not make a lot of sense to pull a trade like that this early. I do not understand the advantage for HOU to make that trade now. If they got a future first I could understand, but the compensation doesn’t lend to making the trade early imo.

I get it but I think the value here was already too good to pass up based on other years previous trades. A future 1st isn’t a reality, no one has traded that much for a late 1st in years. Most of the time its teams sliding a few spots or leapfrogging another team for 3rds thru 6ths type compensation. The most analogous trades in recent years I could find were:

2020: Titans trade #23 to NE for the 37 (2.05) & 71 (3.09)
2019: Colts trade #26 to Wash for the 46 (2.14) and a future 2nd (hit the jackpot as it was the 2nd pick they used on Pittman)

I’d argue they slid roughly the same number of spots as the Colts and got a pick bump late on top. Only they know their tiers and draft plans though.

With their roster, the Texans have spent this year and last plugging holes with expensive aging Vets (they were the 3rd oldest team at the beginning of last season.) They’ve got to get some extra picks after trading up for Anderson to try and find young talent instead of constantly filling holes with FA’s or gambling on cuts from other teams. Obviously it’s a balancing act and they’ve got to hit on picks if they want to build some longer-term success. IMO they’ve done that by improving this year with guys like Hunter, Fatu, Autry, Mixon, etc., but moving back balances that and hopefully sets them up to draft some longer-term starters when those contracts are done or aging poorly.

I'm stunned. Bears traded Fields to the Steelers for a conditional 6th that can become a 4th if FIelds plays 51% of the offensive snaps. Remember Russell Wilson is there as well and sounds like they intend him to start.

That just seems like they must have completely misplayed the situation. I'd be pretty upset if the Texans had done that.

I'm stunned. Bears traded Fields to the Steelers for a conditional 6th that can become a 4th if FIelds plays 51% of the offensive snaps. Remember Russell Wilson is there as well and sounds like they intend him to start.

That just seems like they must have completely misplayed the situation. I'd be pretty upset if the Texans had done that.

Yeah, they totally misplayed their hand but F the Bears for taking Keenan from us - Houston was offering 2025 third-round selection with a pick swap return, per league sources. Ultimately, he went to Bears for fourth-round pick 110th overall :kicksrock:

Last edited:
Familiar name but new face. Texans signed DE Mario Edwards Jr. to a 1 year deal.

Edwards, who is 6-3, 280 pounds, played in 15 games last season for the Seahawks. He had 21 tackles, five tackles for loss, two sacks and six quarterback hits.

With the first wave of free agency coming to a close, the Texans have agreed to deal to bring back swing tackle Charlie Heck, a source confirmed to the Chronicle Friday.

And waived cornerback Ka'dar Hollman.

Familiar name but new face. Texans signed DE Mario Edwards Jr. to a 1 year deal.

Edwards, who is 6-3, 280 pounds, played in 15 games last season for the Seahawks. He had 21 tackles, five tackles for loss, two sacks and six quarterback hits.

With the first wave of free agency coming to a close, the Texans have agreed to deal to bring back swing tackle Charlie Heck, a source confirmed to the Chronicle Friday.

And waived cornerback Ka'dar Hollman.

Glad the Texans were able to resign Heck. Lessens the blow slightly of Fant leaving given all of the injuries they had on the O-line last year. I still hope they address the OG position in the draft. Kenyon Green hasn’t proven himself yet and Shaq Mason isn’t getting any younger

Last edited:
The league owners will vote on whether to approve Houston Texans chairman and CEO Cal McNair as the franchise's new principal owner at the NFL owners' meeting, a source confirmed to ESPN.

The NFL owners are expected to vote Tuesday morning.

Bob McNair, the Texans' former owner, died in November 2018. His wife, Janice McNair, became the Texans' principal owner and is one of 10 women who are principal owners.

After his father's death, Cal took over the Texans' daily football procedures and has represented the team at owner's meetings in place of Janice.

The expected vote, which was first reported by The Houston Chronicle, doesn't mean the team is available for purchase, as a source told ESPN that the Texans are not for sale and "have no plans for that."

If the other NFL owners vote in favor of Cal, he will continue to run the franchise as he has for the past five seasons. The Texans have gone 31-51-1 since then.

Was just looking at our free agent situation next year.

We don't have a lot of key contributors up for free agency after this season. Nico Collins is about the only key one. Jimmie Ward will probably be at a point they might look at letting him go anyway.

Others would include Robert Woods, Jeff Okudah, Noah Brown. Desmond King. Davis Mills. Brevin Jordan. Kurt Hinish. Andrew Beck. Eric Murray. Kendrick Green.

How sad I don't even consider our starting LG to be a key free agent. He's got a lot to prove this year.

The Texans are signing free-agent cornerback Myles Bryant, a person with knowledge of the deal told the Chronicle.

Bryant, who played his first four seasons with the Patriots gives the Texans depth at nickel cornerback after the departure of Tavierre Thomas in free agency.

Bryant played in all 17 games and made six starts. The 5-9, 192-pound Bryant had 65 tackles, two forced fumbles and an interception last season. He played some on the outside but was at his best in the slot.

Bryant should compete with Desmond King for the starting role.

Cornerback C.J. Henderson agrees to deal
Cornerback C.J. Henderson, who was selected No. 9 overall in the 2020 NFL draft, and most recently played with the Carolina Panthers, has agreed to sign with the Texans, a source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to the Chronicle.

Henderson visited the Texans on Thursday and later reached an agreement. ESPN was the first to report the move.

Henderson began his career with the Jaguars, but was traded less than two years later to the Panthers after struggling to find a role in Jacksonville.

In 39 games with the Panthers, Henderson made 22 starts in three seasons. He has three interceptions in his four-year career, including two in 2022.

Last season, he played 12 games and made seven starts. He had 39 tackles, two pass deflections and a sack. Henderson provides the Texans much-needed depth at cornerback.

The Texans will re-sign defensive end Derek Barnett, a source with knowledge of the deal confirmed to the Chronicle Wednesday.

The Texans claimed Barnett off waivers midway through the 2023 season after he was waived by the Eagles. In six games with the Texans, he made four starts and had 2½ sacks.

He became a key contributor down the stretch for Houston's defense and should add depth to a defensive line that is already deep with edge rushers.

Texans to play Bears in this year's Hall of Fame game, coinciding with Andre Johnson's induction

Will always have a lot of love for AJ80. Could only imagine what his career would have been with stable QB play. Despite all the the mess in Houston, he rarely complained like most star WRs (probably to his detriment). Part of me wishes he left for greener pastures during his prime and could have shown the league just how awesome he could be with a good QB. Also will never forget the Courtland Finnegan fight. He tossed him and his helmet around like rag doll :lmao:

The Texans will participate in joint practices with the Los Angeles Rams in the preseason, a source with knowledge of the practices told the Houston Chronicle. The joint practices are expected to take place in Houston.

The Texans will participate in joint practices with the Los Angeles Rams in the preseason, a source with knowledge of the practices told the Houston Chronicle. The joint practices are expected to take place in Houston.
I am up in the mock draft for the Texans. @GregR said I could ask here for opinions. I am thinking of Sweat, Fiske, Darius Robinson or Xavier Legette. Any opinions on these players? Or maybe someone else?

Or maybe the CB Rakestraw

I am up in the mock draft for the Texans. @GregR said I could ask here for opinions. I am thinking of Sweat, Fiske, Darius Robinson or Xavier Legette. Any opinions on these players? Or maybe someone else?

I'm not the most read up on the prospects. I know I've heard a lot of debate about Sweat for us in the 2nd round. I know Demeco is focused on building up the D line, not sure if he wants a space eater or someone who can get after the QB also there. Given the rest of the guys can get after the QB that they have, I could see Sweat being an option to help lock up the run. Would have been my choice probably.

Agree with Greg - DL is likely our pick but Legette is the wildcard pick. We still need one more WR weapon and could see us doing that too.

Thanks guys. Went with Sweat.

Really thought about Legette because I am a huge fan of his, but WR is deep in the draft. Will start looking at the next pick.
If he's still there, I could absolutely see him at the next pick.

Whoops, guess not, went just a few picks after I see.

Last edited:
Up now at 65

Thinking CB TJ Tampa or
WR Rocky Pearsall

Both projected to go late 2nd.

Both have been mocked to the Texans in various mocks I have read.

Up now at 65

Thinking CB TJ Tampa or
WR Rocky Pearsall

Both projected to go late 2nd.

Both have been mocked to the Texans in various mocks I have read.
Haven't read up on either.

If it were me I'd probably look at the 3rd round pick and see which of WR or CB I think would be most likely to have the best player, and take the other position now, if you think they are even.

Edit to add: I personally think CB is a bigger need than WR as I'm wary that Okudah is going to be a good enough starter. But then Demeco has gotten the most out of a lot of guys, so I also won't be surprised to see him finally start to live up to his draft position more.

Go with Tampa. Greg is right about the need fit in this given format. In real life, I think we go WR as someone like Coleman or Wilson is there at WR because more OL/DL will be drafted by teams than posters think before now.

The Texans need weapons though. If you go CB here, aim for WR/TE/RB BPA next round in that order of preference.

Not really related to the mock, but tot he actual draft... I'm a ND fan, grew up within bike-riding distance of campus. Would love us to get RB Audric Estime out of the draft. He had a bad combine 40 time (4.71) but improved it to 4.58 at his pro day. He's a big, tough runner with great balance and vision. Probably not going to end up being an Arian Foster from out of nowhere, but I think he can have a great NFL career, especially if paired with faster change of pace back.

He might be a 3rd round possibility but I'm afraid the pro day may cause him to climb. Already seeing stuff in the media the pro day 40 is moving him up boards.

Users who are viewing this thread