What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I need a draft strategy (1 Viewer)

ctdub

Footballguy
First time playing FBB since I had Kevin Brown as my staff ace.

Drafting 2 out of 11 in first year keeper (keep 6) 5x5 Roto.

With pick 1.2 I'm planning on taking Kemp or Cabrera depending on who isn't taken with pick 1.1. With pick 2.10 and 3.2 I'm thinking of a top line pitcher (Kershaw, King Felix if available) and best available hitter. Is that too early to be looking for a pitcher?

My plan is to draft hitters in 5 out of first 6 rounds and then start adding in pithcers after that. Give me some advice if you have any.

Also one of the 5 piching categories is saves+holds and we can play up to 10 pitchers at once (1650 IP limit), so I'm planning on rolling with 7 relievers every day that are high k/9, low whip, low era and 6 starting pitchers which I will changeout according to their starts.

So the advice I'm looking for is how early and often to target a starting pitcher in the first 6-10 rounds? Should I just load up on bats in the early rounds?

Draft Miggy or Pujols first.

Draft a 3B with your 3rd round pick - Panda or Zimmerman. Unless you think one of them falls to round 4. Exception being if Longoria somehow falls to round 2. If so, take him.

Don't take an arm before round 6 unless a top 3 arm falls to round 4.

Don't roster more than 2 arms before round 11.

Don't take a closer before round 12.

Over the first 10 rounds trend towards bats that mash and won't sink your average, speed can be found later and most of the good late options sink your avg so you have to get a lead.

Usually I'd say take a lot of pitchers (5 or 6) between rounds 11 and 20, 3 of which are closers. It's a lot easier to find cheap and productive pitching than hitting. However, saves+holds changes things a bit. Saves are easier to predict, so I'd still make sure you have at least 2 of the top 20 closers but don't force yourself into 3 unless they fall outside of the top 20 rounds.

Make sure you don't fill up your OF too fast, good values late.

Do not take any C unless they fall > 1 round below their ADP until the teen rounds. Get your offense from the other positions.

Most importantly, don't get sucked into the keeper trap in such a shallow keeper. Treat this like a redraft, you'll have 6 solid keepers next year if you do.

What the hell...

h2h yahoo league with 12 teams...I'm drafting 7th. Strategy thoughts?

I don't think I want to take Braun or Tulo if they drop (too risky) and looking at Votto for the first.

What the hell...h2h yahoo league with 12 teams...I'm drafting 7th. Strategy thoughts?I don't think I want to take Braun or Tulo if they drop (too risky) and looking at Votto for the first.
Best available corner infielder, the drop off is huge.

What the hell...h2h yahoo league with 12 teams...I'm drafting 7th. Strategy thoughts?I don't think I want to take Braun or Tulo if they drop (too risky) and looking at Votto for the first.
Tulo at 7 would be impossible to pass up.
Generically speaking, I think a team with an elite CI + Aybar looks better than a team with Tulo + Lind. I like Tulo, but I hate my replacement CI. I can stomach my replacement SS for Tulo in place of going elite CI early.

See I thought that too (especially being a Colorado fan), but if that happens I would have to hope for Fielder or Texeira 18. After Texeira I have a big drop off @ 1B.Oh...positional requirements: C, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, UTL, UTL, OF, OF, OF, 2 SP, 2 RP, 4 P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Generically speaking, I think a team with an elite CI + Aybar looks better than a team with Tulo + Lind. I like Tulo, but I hate my replacement CI. I can stomach my replacement SS for Tulo in place of going elite CI early.
Duel eligibility can't hurt......I'd put him in the same tier as Longoria and Beltre.I guess looking at it, Pujols, Miggy, Votto, Fielder, Gonzo, and Teix would all be nice there too......I'm guessing one of them fall to him.

Duel eligibility can't hurt......I'd put him in the same tier as Longoria and Beltre.I guess looking at it, Pujols, Miggy, Votto, Fielder, Gonzo, and Teix would all be nice there too......I'm guessing one of them fall to him.
I wouldnt put Teixeira in the same tier as those guys.

Good info guys. Thanks for the feedback. So Pujols> Kemp for with the #2 assuming Miggy goes 1?

This got me to thinking, who are THE guys -

Pujols, Cabrera, Braun, Fielder, Bautista, Votto

after that maybe -

Gonzales, Kemp, Teixiera, Longoria, Cano

That is at most 11 deep for must haves. You HAVE to get one of those bats.

After that there is a whole slew of nice to gets and I would base my picks of positional scarcity.

Pitchers, only Verlander, Kershaw and Halladay fall under the MUST haves. If you don't land one of them - then wait until at least round 6 before looking for your staff ace. Closers go for Kimbrel or Walden but don't go for them too early. Other than that just wait it out.

Oh and in a keep only 6 don't worry about your keepers...out of a large roster you will certainly wind up with keepers. Don't skip a guy like Pujols because you think he is past his prime.

'Matthias said:
This got me to thinking, who are THE guys -Pujols, Cabrera, Braun, Fielder, Bautista, Vottoafter that maybe -Gonzales, Kemp, Teixiera, Longoria, CanoThat is at most 11 deep for must haves. You HAVE to get one of those bats.
Upton
Tulo. At least as valuable as Cano.
I'd drop Teixiera from the list. He turns 32 in less than a month and is coming off two straight sub-elite seasons.

Anyone want to chime in for this scenario?

13 team league, 5x5 roto, with small lineups (C,1B,2B,3B,SS,OF,OF,OF,UTIL) and pitching staff (SP,SP,RP,RP,P,P,P).

I have first pick and am going Cabrera (I think). Any reason to do anything differently because of small lineup?

Anyone want to chime in for this scenario?13 team league, 5x5 roto, with small lineups (C,1B,2B,3B,SS,OF,OF,OF,UTIL) and pitching staff (SP,SP,RP,RP,P,P,P).I have first pick and am going Cabrera (I think). Any reason to do anything differently because of small lineup?
small lineups reduce positional value. BPA all the way unless there are a lot of teams in the league.

Anyone want to chime in for this scenario?13 team league, 5x5 roto, with small lineups (C,1B,2B,3B,SS,OF,OF,OF,UTIL) and pitching staff (SP,SP,RP,RP,P,P,P).I have first pick and am going Cabrera (I think). Any reason to do anything differently because of small lineup?
small lineups reduce positional value. BPA all the way unless there are a lot of teams in the league.
So Ryan Braun with the first pick? :popcorn:

I'm in a 12 team head to head league. However scoring is a 5 category batting and 8 category pitching. Minimum 6 starts I think.

How does this affect overall draft strategy, if at all?

'Matthias said:
I'm in a 12 team head to head league. However scoring is a 5 category batting and 8 category pitching. Minimum 6 starts I think. How does this affect overall draft strategy, if at all?
8 out of the 13 points to win come from pitching? Draft pitchers.
True, but I'll be dammed if pitching ain't a fickle beast

'Matthias said:
I'm in a 12 team head to head league. However scoring is a 5 category batting and 8 category pitching. Minimum 6 starts I think. How does this affect overall draft strategy, if at all?
8 out of the 13 points to win come from pitching? Draft pitchers.
Check that, it's 7 hitting categories and 9 pitching. 8 pitching spots. No apparent inning limit. I am guessing this favors pitching, but my how much? I am pretty novice at this and had planned to follow/agree with the guidelines near the top of this page. Had hoped to go 1B/3B, 1B/3B, top 5, then no other pitcher until the 6th or 7th. Does that strategy change?

If there's no pitching min/Max just draft all hitting till like tge8th then pick up a couple starters everyday

Yes, wait on pitchers.

More importantly, convince the league to do an auction now, so it'll be a more seamless keeper transition in a few years when they all realize auctions are approximately 1000X more fun and fair.

This got me to thinking, who are THE guys -Pujols, Cabrera, Braun, Fielder, Bautista, Vottoafter that maybe -Gonzales, Kemp, Teixiera, Longoria, CanoThat is at most 11 deep for must haves. You HAVE to get one of those bats.After that there is a whole slew of nice to gets and I would base my picks of positional scarcity.Pitchers, only Verlander, Kershaw and Halladay fall under the MUST haves. If you don't land one of them - then wait until at least round 6 before looking for your staff ace. Closers go for Kimbrel or Walden but don't go for them too early. Other than that just wait it out.Oh and in a keep only 6 don't worry about your keepers...out of a large roster you will certainly wind up with keepers. Don't skip a guy like Pujols because you think he is past his prime.
I don't think Fielder belongs on the top line. He has some question marks for me with new league, bigger park, etc. The others on that list are completely "bust-proof" to me. I like Tex a ton for this year, but that is generous to put him on this list. I'd probably still have him around Hanley and Granderson.The rest of your list + Halladay is the first round to me.

This got me to thinking, who are THE guys -

Pujols, Cabrera, Braun, Fielder, Bautista, Votto

after that maybe -

Gonzales, Kemp, Teixiera, Longoria, Cano

That is at most 11 deep for must haves. You HAVE to get one of those bats.

After that there is a whole slew of nice to gets and I would base my picks of positional scarcity.

Pitchers, only Verlander, Kershaw and Halladay fall under the MUST haves. If you don't land one of them - then wait until at least round 6 before looking for your staff ace. Closers go for Kimbrel or Walden but don't go for them too early. Other than that just wait it out.

Oh and in a keep only 6 don't worry about your keepers...out of a large roster you will certainly wind up with keepers. Don't skip a guy like Pujols because you think he is past his prime.
I can't see an argument for ANY pitcher falling under "must have" status right now. If you told me I had to bet my life on whether that group of three guys would outperform the group consisting of Lincecum, King Felix, and Grienke, for example, I feel like I'd much rather take my chances playing Russian roulette.How confident would you be that either group would outperform Cliff Lee, CC, and one of the Angels aces, now that they've got Albert and Kendrys padding their leads?

Feel confident putting any one of those up against say, Madison Bumgarner, Josh Johnson, and Steven Strausburg...who are a hell of a lot riskier, but whose lines down the stretch last time they were all healthy and pitching dwarfed anything ANY of the groups above were dishing out, almost across the board?

With the power numbers now starting to reflect the drying-up roids climate across the league, the dip from legit power corners and five-tool OF's to the guys gettable in the mid-rounds is HUGE, while good-to-very-good pitchers four deep on a lot of staffs are suddenly having field days against less potent lineups. This is the year to start taking advantage of this fact.

Wait on pitching, there is plenty of mid-to-late pitchers available.
Well, here's the lineup (had the 2nd pick):C - Ramos1B - Pujols2b - PedroiaSS - Hanley3B - AramisOF - HollidayOF - GordonOF - BerkmanUtil - CastroUtil - Billy ButlerSP - FisterSP - Josh JohnsonRP - Brian WilsonRP - Sean WilliamsP - KurodaP - LirianoP - Johan SantanaP - Kelly JansenB - DunnB - FranceourB - TrumboB - Chacinthought?

Well, here's the lineup (had the 2nd pick):C - Ramos1B - Pujols2b - PedroiaSS - Hanley3B - AramisOF - HollidayOF - GordonOF - BerkmanUtil - CastroUtil - Billy ButlerSP - FisterSP - Josh JohnsonRP - Brian WilsonRP - Sean WilliamsP - KurodaP - LirianoP - Johan SantanaP - Kelly JansenB - DunnB - FranceourB - TrumboB - Chacinthought?
How many teams?

How many teams?

How many teams?
Like your offense (except for steals) but I am not a fan of your pitching.

How many teams?
yeah i recognize my pitching is terrible. they just kept flying off the board and the rankings i was using pretty much always dictated hitters were better value than the available pitchers.

Well, here's the lineup (had the 2nd pick):C - Ramos

1B - Pujols

2b - Pedroia

SS - Hanley

3B - Aramis

OF - Holliday

OF - Gordon

OF - Berkman

Util - Castro

Util - Billy Butler

SP - Fister

SP - Josh Johnson

RP - Brian Wilson

RP - Sean Williams

P - Kuroda

P - Liriano

P - Johan Santana

P - Kelly Jansen

B - Dunn

B - Franceour

B - Trumbo

B - Chacin

thought?
How many teams?
yeah i recognize my pitching is terrible. they just kept flying off the board and the rankings i was using pretty much always dictated hitters were better value than the available pitchers.
And they are, luckily you're in a pretty shallow league.....should be plenty of quality pitchers on the wire.

Users who are viewing this thread