What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looks like another major news anchor is going down (1 Viewer)

Surprised NBC hasn't done something yet considering he is the managing editor.I can't imagine them not at least giving him a nice vacation given the ####storm this has fueled.

Nothing is going to happen to him. NBC has been caught a few times altering the news. Tough for NBC to fire someone for telling lies when the network does it often.

does anyone here watch network nightly news? I know the FFA is old, are we that old?
Quite a few are for sure

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/evening-news-ratings-week-of-jan-26-2/254443
I'm not sure I understand those numbers. If 8 million people watched CBS news and only 2 million of them were ages 25-54 (a 30 year range), how old were the other 6 million? Are we to assume that the bulk of them were over 54? If so, the generational gap continues to be maybe the most significant of all the dividing factors in this country.

That's a pretty lightweight way for anybody to get their world news.

I give him a pass and here's why: The Gulf war was the first war where the attack was televised from the inside. You had members of the press imbedded with the military going across enemy lines. The Pentagon wanted to win the war publicly and what better way than to show it unfold live from the inside. Now you have reporter types who are seeing combat up close and personal. These are not military types but people who live in a studio and in front of a camera. They are not experiencing what is happening the same way military people are. Everyone has a job to do but for a news anchor to be exposed to that kind of danger has to be a terrifying assignment, not your every day story.

So my take on what happened is you have a news guy flying around in military helicopters around the edges of battle. He's keeping his eyes open, pupils fully dilated, heart pounding trying to ask questions so he can do his job and report on the war. A job both his network and the Pentagon wants him to do. He flying a route where some helicopters proceeded him into enemy territory and he finds out that one of them came under enemy fire and was hit. Holy crap, he thinks. The same route I just flew on and here you have a chopper that went just before us and got hit. Wow, that could have been me. This is dangerous, i could have been killed. We're still across enemy lines. I'm scared ####less. He calls his bosses. Holy crap, he says, the chopper convoy I'm riding with took fire and one of them went down. We're across enemy lines. He's genuinely frightened. Why wouldn't he be? He's usually just a guy who stands in front of a camera.

So the years pass and as he recounts his frightening ordeal he remembers coming under enemy fire and a bird going down. He remembers how scary that time was and how crazy that it was that he, a news guy, was on a military chopper that took enemy fire. He's asked about that day all the time and as the years pass the day becomes more dangerous, the soldiers he was traveling with become even more brave, the memories seem even more surreal. Can you believe it, he says, i was on a military chopper that came under fire in the middle of a war. How nuts is that?

So now 12 years later he's recounting the story yet again in a profile for a retiring soldier and he gets called out on his account by the other soldiers who were there. You have to think for them that day was not close to harrowing experience that is was for Brian Williams. it would be like being on the set of a Martin Scorcese movie for a day. You got to watch the Billy Batts murder scene from Goodfellas from way off to the side of the set. You saw Scorcese, Deniro and everyone else. You tell all your friends. Oh my God, DeNiro walked right by me, he smiled and nodded to me. I saw it all from up close. The movie comes out and you tell all your friends that you were right next to the bar. You got hit with a little splatter of fake blood. You had a long conversation with the lady who styled Liotta's hair. You were right there! Then years later you're telling the story again on the internet and someone who was working on the film. someone who works all the time in the movie business, who was also on the set that day says your account of what happened is an exaggeration. He says you were nowhere near the bar, that you were hundred of yards away, in a tent, watching everything from a great distance. You couldn't even see in the bar. Maybe you got a glimpse of Deniro walking into the bar. Maybe. Maybe you talked to an assistant of an assistant who told you they were filming a murder. Maybe it wasn't even the Billy Batts scene at all, maybe it was another scene that didn't even make it into the movie. Maybe it wasn't even Goodfellas. You think about your memories and maybe in the excitement of being around a movie set for the first time you over exaggerated your experience. The more you think about it, you definitely did. Oh well, it was an exciting day for me anyway. Haven't had an experience like that before or since, to be so close to something like that. Anyway, you're right, sorry for exaggerating.

Brian Williams and the everyone else will move on. He's not going anywhere. The next time he has a harrowing experience like that, if he ever does, he'll recount it a little less spectacularly but tough to blame his if he added some panache to it anyway.

Helicopter pilot tells CNN Williams 'messed up': Rich Krell, who was piloting the Chinook that Williams was on, tells a slightly different story than the crew members who spoke to Stars and Stripes.

"Some of things he's said are not true. But some of the things they're saying against him are not true either," said Krell, who spoke exclusively to CNN on Thursday morning.

Krell explained that, contrary to Williams' comments in the past, there were three helicopters flying in close formation, not four.

"One of the birds broke down, so we were a flight of three," Krell said. "We were hauling metal bridges."

Williams was in the back of Krell's aircraft along with three other NBC staffers. Krell referred to his Chinook as the "second bird" in the formation. The "first bird," right in front of the "second bird," was struck by the RPG.

Due to his seat in the back, Williams was most likely unable to witness the RPG attack, Krell said.

All three of the helicopters were hit by small arms fire, Krell said, supporting Williams' past claims about that.

"The bridge expansions we were hauling took most of the hits," Krell said.

The three Chinooks took evasive maneuvers. Krell's helicopter dropped off its payload, then met up with the other two about 45 minutes later. That may explain why the other crew members told Stars and Stripes that Williams arrived in the area later.

Krell said of Williams, "Yeah, he messed up some things and said some things he shouldn't have. I [first] heard it a few years ago. ... Actually one of my flight engineers said, 'Did you hear him say that? Wasn't he on our bird?'"

Krell didn't seem overly bothered by Williams' revisionist history -- he chalked it up to wartime theatrics. "After a while, with combat stories, you just go 'Whatever,'" he said.
Yes he exaggerated but he was on a helicopter in a war that was getting shot at. It's not like he said he was on the front lines while he was actually vacationing in Fiji.

Helicopter pilot tells CNN Williams 'messed up': Rich Krell, who was piloting the Chinook that Williams was on, tells a slightly different story than the crew members who spoke to Stars and Stripes.

"Some of things he's said are not true. But some of the things they're saying against him are not true either," said Krell, who spoke exclusively to CNN on Thursday morning.

Krell explained that, contrary to Williams' comments in the past, there were three helicopters flying in close formation, not four.

"One of the birds broke down, so we were a flight of three," Krell said. "We were hauling metal bridges."

Williams was in the back of Krell's aircraft along with three other NBC staffers. Krell referred to his Chinook as the "second bird" in the formation. The "first bird," right in front of the "second bird," was struck by the RPG.

Due to his seat in the back, Williams was most likely unable to witness the RPG attack, Krell said.

All three of the helicopters were hit by small arms fire, Krell said, supporting Williams' past claims about that.

The three Chinooks took evasive maneuvers. Krell's helicopter dropped off its payload, then met up with the other two about 45 minutes later. That may explain why the other crew members told Stars and Stripes that Williams arrived in the area later.

Krell said of Williams, "Yeah, he messed up some things and said some things he shouldn't have. I [first] heard it a few years ago. ... Actually one of my flight engineers said, 'Did you hear him say that? Wasn't he on our bird?'"

Krell didn't seem overly bothered by Williams' revisionist history -- he chalked it up to wartime theatrics. "After a while, with combat stories, you just go 'Whatever,'" he said.
Yes he exaggerated but he was on a helicopter in a war that was getting shot at. It's not like he said he was on the front lines while he was actually vacationing in Fiji.
If you actually believe that a guy would think his copter was shot down because he was scared.....nothing I will type will change your mind.

does anyone here watch network nightly news? I know the FFA is old, are we that old?
Quite a few are for surehttp://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/evening-news-ratings-week-of-jan-26-2/254443
I watch the evening news in addition to reading print and Internet media. In a way it's the traditionalist in me attempting to maintain a link to the days of the past. I also like to watch the nightly news as a gauge to compare what they cover with what I tend to be interested in.

If you actually believe that a guy would think his copter was shot down because he was scared.....nothing I will type will change your mind.
That's not really what I'm saying.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/02/even-the-soldiers-cant-get-the-brian-williams-story-202183.html#.VNPGbessy9E.twitter

Iraq vets offer conflicting accounts of Brian Williams story

By DYLAN BYERS | 2/5/15 2:35 PM EST

One thing is clear: NBC Nightly News anchor Brian Williams was not on a Chinook helicopter that was shot down during the invasion of Iraq in 2003. But after that, the details of Williams' exact location on that day get a little hazy. Indeed, even the soldiers who were there can't agree on exactly where Williams was.

In his apology on Wednesday, Williams said that while he was not on the Chinook that was shot down, he was instead on a following aircraft." In a Facebook post to the soldiers, he also wrote, I was indeed on the Chinook behind the bird that took the RPG.

On Thursday, Army flight crews who were present at the event told Stars and Stripes that Williams "was actually flying with a different helicopter company altogether in a different direction, and linked to the attacked unit by radio only." The assertion tempts one to believe that Williams is some sort of pathological liar who refuses to come fully clean.

The problem is that the pilot of the Chinook that Williams was on has told CNN that Williams was in the same company and in the following aircraft, as Williams stated in his apology.

" Rich Krell, who was piloting the Chinook that Williams was on, tells a slightly different story than the crew members who spoke to Stars and Stripes," CNN reports. "Krell explained that, contrary to Williams' comments in the past, there were three helicopters flying in close formation, not four.

Krell told CNN that Williams and other NBC staffers were in the "second bird" in the formation. He said that he "first bird," which was right in front of the "second bird," was struck by the RPG. He also said that all three of the helicopters in the company were hit by small arms fire.

So, take those Stars & Stripes reports with a grain of salt.

Quite a few are for surehttp://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/evening-news-ratings-week-of-jan-26-2/254443
I watch the evening news in addition to reading print and Internet media. In a way it's the traditionalist in me attempting to maintain a link to the days of the past. I also like to watch the nightly news as a gauge to compare what they cover with what I tend to be interested in.
Didn't you get the memo that print is dead?

Quite a few are for sure

I'm not sure I understand those numbers. If 8 million people watched CBS news and only 2 million of them were ages 25-54 (a 30 year range), how old were the other 6 million? Are we to assume that the bulk of them were over 54? If so, the generational gap continues to be maybe the most significant of all the dividing factors in this country.

My wife just relayed a conversation she had with one of her early 20's. recent college grad employee

Mrs. Fennis: Can you believe the Brian Williams thing?

Employee: Who is Brian Williams?

Mrs. Fennis: He hosts the NBC nightly News, I'm sure you know him.

Employee: <puzzled look>

Mrs. Fennis: He's also known as Alison William's Dad.

Employee <excited>: Oh... okay!

The next time he has a harrowing experience like that, if he ever does, he'll recount it a little less spectacularly but tough to blame his if he added some panache to it anyway.
Williams critics, haters and fact-checkers are busily scurrying through other Williams' tales to check their accuaracy. There's now criticism from the bowels and nether regions of the internet that Williams may have misremembered Hurricane Katrina events more spectacularly than they actually occurred.

But we have another question about things Williams has said. What about the “seminal” event in his journalistic career, in which Williams alleges he saw a body float past his French Quarter hotel window during Katrina?

Certainly the assertion there were floating bodies in New Orleans streets is potentially true. But in the French Quarter?

Wikipedia says “The famous French Quarter dodged the massive flooding experienced in other levee areas.” Also

As with other parts of the city developed before the late 19th century and on dry land predating New Orleans’s levee systems, the French Quarter remained substantially dry following Hurricane Katrina. It is 5 feet (1.5 m) above sea level. Some streets had minor flooding, and several buildings suffered significant wind damage. Most of the major landmarks suffered only minor damage.

In addition, the Quarter largely escaped the looting and violence that occurred after the storm; nearly all of the antique shops and art galleries in the French Quarter, for example, were untouched.

So if there was no major flooding in the Quarter, how does Brian Williams spot a dead body floating past his hotel window?

(Link)
A life threatening situation for Brian Williams. Fortunately the danger passes and the NBC News anchorman remains friends with his rescuer to this day. If that sounds like his story about his helicopter supposedly being hit by an RPG in Iraq, a fable that he was forced to apologize for, as well as his subsequent rescue by an army sergeant, it also sounds eerily similar to a story he told about Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

The SooperMexican blog made the discovery of Brian Williams' Katrina rescue story. It remains to be seen how authentic this story is but SooperMexican has already noted some holes in it. You can hear Williams at about the four minute make of this video tell his Iraq, I mean Katrina, story:

"My week, two weeks there, was not helped by the fact that I accidentally ingested some of the floodwater. I became very sick with dysentery, our hotel was overrun with gangs, I was rescued from the stairwell of a five star hotel in New Orleans by a young police officer we are friends to this day."

SooperMexican looks upon this story with some skepticism:

But in the Dateline special where he recounts his experiences 5 years later, there’s no mention of the story. He says that the police were in the Sheraton in New Orleans, and that his camera crew were allowed to film outside. But that’s it, he doesn’t even mention being in any other hotel. How could a hotel used as a staging area for policemen be “overrun with gangs”?

This is definitely not conclusive evidence that he lied about the attack, but it had many elements that are the same as his Iraq RPG story, which should cast doubt on any other story he speaks to that isn’t corroborated by someone else.

Exit question: How many other stories did Brian Williams also "misremember?"

(Link)

The next time he has a harrowing experience like that, if he ever does, he'll recount it a little less spectacularly but tough to blame his if he added some panache to it anyway.
Williams critics, haters and fact-checkers are busily scurrying through other Williams' tales to check their accuaracy. There's now criticism from the bowels and nether regions of the internet that Williams may have misremembered Hurricane Katrina events more spectacularly than they actually occurred.
Given that this whopper has been discovered, it seems natural to open up the can to see what other stories don't hold up.

Given that this whopper has been discovered, it seems natural to open up the can to see what other stories don't hold up.
Agreed.

I really don't know why this matters to anyone but I'm surprised people are actually spending time to defend the guy. Pretty funny :lol:

I give him a pass and here's why: The Gulf war was the first war where the attack was televised from the inside. You had members of the press imbedded with the military going across enemy lines. The Pentagon wanted to win the war publicly and what better way than to show it unfold live from the inside. Now you have reporter types who are seeing combat up close and personal. These are not military types but people who live in a studio and in front of a camera. They are not experiencing what is happening the same way military people are. Everyone has a job to do but for a news anchor to be exposed to that kind of danger has to be a terrifying assignment, not your every day story.

So my take on what happened is you have a news guy flying around in military helicopters around the edges of battle. He's keeping his eyes open, pupils fully dilated, heart pounding trying to ask questions so he can do his job and report on the war. A job both his network and the Pentagon wants him to do. He flying a route where some helicopters proceeded him into enemy territory and he finds out that one of them came under enemy fire and was hit. Holy crap, he thinks. The same route I just flew on and here you have a chopper that went just before us and got hit. Wow, that could have been me. This is dangerous, i could have been killed. We're still across enemy lines. I'm scared ####less. He calls his bosses. Holy crap, he says, the chopper convoy I'm riding with took fire and one of them went down. We're across enemy lines. He's genuinely frightened. Why wouldn't he be? He's usually just a guy who stands in front of a camera.

So the years pass and as he recounts his frightening ordeal he remembers coming under enemy fire and a bird going down. He remembers how scary that time was and how crazy that it was that he, a news guy, was on a military chopper that took enemy fire. He's asked about that day all the time and as the years pass the day becomes more dangerous, the soldiers he was traveling with become even more brave, the memories seem even more surreal. Can you believe it, he says, i was on a military chopper that came under fire in the middle of a war. How nuts is that?

So now 12 years later he's recounting the story yet again in a profile for a retiring soldier and he gets called out on his account by the other soldiers who were there. You have to think for them that day was not close to harrowing experience that is was for Brian Williams. it would be like being on the set of a Martin Scorcese movie for a day. You got to watch the Billy Batts murder scene from Goodfellas from way off to the side of the set. You saw Scorcese, Deniro and everyone else. You tell all your friends. Oh my God, DeNiro walked right by me, he smiled and nodded to me. I saw it all from up close. The movie comes out and you tell all your friends that you were right next to the bar. You got hit with a little splatter of fake blood. You had a long conversation with the lady who styled Liotta's hair. You were right there! Then years later you're telling the story again on the internet and someone who was working on the film. someone who works all the time in the movie business, who was also on the set that day says your account of what happened is an exaggeration. He says you were nowhere near the bar, that you were hundred of yards away, in a tent, watching everything from a great distance. You couldn't even see in the bar. Maybe you got a glimpse of Deniro walking into the bar. Maybe. Maybe you talked to an assistant of an assistant who told you they were filming a murder. Maybe it wasn't even the Billy Batts scene at all, maybe it was another scene that didn't even make it into the movie. Maybe it wasn't even Goodfellas. You think about your memories and maybe in the excitement of being around a movie set for the first time you over exaggerated your experience. The more you think about it, you definitely did. Oh well, it was an exciting day for me anyway. Haven't had an experience like that before or since, to be so close to something like that. Anyway, you're right, sorry for exaggerating.

Brian Williams and the everyone else will move on. He's not going anywhere. The next time he has a harrowing experience like that, if he ever does, he'll recount it a little less spectacularly but tough to blame his if he added some panache to it anyway.
Only the taxicab driver who got clipped by that asian plane wing yesterday can say he got hit by that plane. The taxicab driver behind him that had a good video but didn't get hit cannot say he got clipped by a plane wing.

Only the taxicab driver who got clipped by that asian plane wing yesterday can say he got hit by that plane. The taxicab driver behind him that had a good video but didn't get hit cannot say he got clipped by a plane wing.
What if he got hit with a small piece of the debris?

Quite a few are for sure

My wife just relayed a conversation she had with one of her early 20's. recent college grad employee

This is funny though, to be truthful, I'll have to google Alison Williams.

Quite a few are for sure

This is funny though, to be truthful, I'll have to google Alison Williams.
You'll also find her by googling "### motorboating" with the added benefit of significant upside potential.

Nothing is going to happen to him. NBC has been caught a few times altering the news. Tough for NBC to fire someone for telling lies when the network does it often.
Can you imagine the dirt a guy like him has on everyone. You don't just become a top news anchor in America by working hard.These people are rarely what they appear to be. Weren't there rumors of Matt Lauer screwing his Today show co-host?

I just assume all of the people on TV, in Hollywood, etc. Live a life of debauchery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rough week for NBC after their chief medical correspondent lectured people on their responsibility for public health in relation to the measles outbreak. This came after she broke self quarantine after returning from the Ebola hot zone where a colleague was infected.

JohnnyU said:
I like Brian Williams regardless of what he said. People make mistakes, get over it.
This figures. JohnnyU loses his mind, posts hundreds of times in a thread calling for a coach's head over unproven allegations of involvement in a ball being slightly under-inflated.... but then tell's people to "get over" a news anchor lying repeatedly and brazenly to the public for over a decade about his involvement in a dramatic war event.

:lol:
Seriously, one of the bigger clowns on the board.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was also one of the worst "apologies" ever. "This was a bungled attempt by me to honor a veteran that protected me because I'm such a great guy." Oof.

Reminds me of Hillary telling of her harrowing near death experience in Bosnia.

But, "what does it matter now"!

Really doesn't unless you approve of blatant lies.

Reminds me of Hillary telling of her harrowing near death experience in Bosnia.

But, "what does it matter now"!

Really doesn't unless you approve of blatant lies.
People haven't trusted politicians since Watergate.

This news person thing is a bit different in that we actually want expect them to tell us the truth. Especially the major players at the major networks.

This is exactly how those rumors about Jesus got started.

Some reporter was there, "I swear, he turned water into wine!!"

JohnnyU said:
I like Brian Williams regardless of what he said. People make mistakes, get over it.
This figures. JohnnyU loses his mind, posts hundreds of times in a thread calling for a coach's head over unproven allegations of involvement in a ball being slightly under-inflated.... but then tell's people to "get over" a news anchor lying repeatedly and brazenly to the public for over a decade about his involvement in a dramatic war event. :lol:
is this true? Yeesh. Pathetic if so.

Not a Brian Williams fan, but after seeing the story and subsequent reports detailing the events, I don't think this is nearly as outrageous as some are making it out to be.

What if he got hit with a small piece of the debris?
Not even close to the same thing. Just how far up your rear end have you got your hand to reach for something like that?

I'm very interested to see the intensity of scrutiny this gets...Williams is a major figure and I would think trust and honesty are key components of his position...what he says does have an effect on what some people think about current events...like any other situation we should wait until the investigation and facts are known but if he did lie it's inexcusable for him to keep his job...fibbing about exploits in this area are pretty black and white...there should be no gray area with this...if he did lie and is protected a new organization with questionable integrity becomes totally unreliable...

Users who are viewing this thread