What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

My impending Italian Ex-Pat adventure is ***Official*** 2024-25 v3.1 (1 Viewer)

the noon update is pretty positive. wife says pick her up at 1p. watching the 2 guys has me feeling pretty good that the room will be epic. lots of leveling and measuring and tweaking. the wood is not our pressure treated, it is more of a knotty pine that is stain treated. it was cut off sight, but they have made some minor adjustments and on site cuts based mainly on the anchor heights it seems. our floor slopes left to right, so getting it level is a task. but they keep pulling a line. good thing we did was get the 6x6 hidden anchors so that the post will essentially hide the steel anchors. that already looks nice.

wish you could see the view from the space, but i don’t tiktok or twerk or myspace or whatever the kids are doing nowadays.

Wife is home, but she’s a bit of a mess. I don’t know anyone that has had an emergency appendectomy….i’m open to advise. I think she’s a bit more down and out since it did rupture. She hurts a lot. We will likely have to wait till 1/8 to fly home, our regular date. I wanted to get back sooner, but she is no shape right now.

Room is 75% done. Waiting on shingles and gutters basically. That will be next year.

Couple of money observations. Gas is about 1.75 per liter, so in US it would be a tick under $7 a gallon. I bought one of those pre washed salads in a bag today and it was .99. An aperol spritz is generally 5-. food is pretty low to what i amused to, but energy is high.

so, when we bought the house, it came with trades people, so to speak. prior owners left us a list. we’ve used some of their folks, but also some of our own. 1 thing they introduced us to is a guy from gambia who sort of looks after the property when the prior owners weren’t around. we kept him on and he’s been invaluable. charges us €13 per hour and mows the lawn, waters, cleans the property. he’s really been a god send. i am not rockefeller, so i try to manage his hours as best i can. maybe 10 a month, more in the summer. he is going back to zambia for about 4 months from the end of january till the beginning of june. i bought some power equipment instead of electrical mower and crap i had. showed him how to use and the irrigation system. we gave him the giant suitcases we brought with us that we consider junk now. as he was leaving we were talking in italian so i asked him about his trip…….he is going to visit his wife and 2 year old son. they can’t get visas and she can’t find work it seems. i say this will my fullest sincerity, no matter how bad we sometimes think we have things in the states, stuff is 100000x harder in the real world. having my wife in the hospital was the shlt, but doing what he does and so many other migrants is just something we all can’t really comprehend.

i went to my first italian apartment today, which i have for sale. not sure if i mentioned this, but there is a new next door neighbor who is a little piglet. stuff from her place had begun piling up directly outside my apartment door. when the agent showed my place back in september, there was a bit of junk. we made contact with her thru our agency, someone knows her. she said it wasn’t her stuff, other people maybe were around, jibberish. so today i installed a phony outdoor camera that flashes a light, but really does nothing and anything near my door and on the landing i threw out. looks much better. i want to sell that place badly, it basically is my pool.

but doing what he does and so many other migrants is just something we all can’t really comprehend.

so long as you're white and were born in the good ol' USA (or Canada etc), feel free to never lift a finger, live of the system and spew how migrants are "stealing our jobs".
as someone who has worked in the welfare system and now see exactly what you see (in France) I say w/100% sincerity that I have NO problem w migrants collecting welfare AND grinding like this (double dipping). they deserve it

but doing what he does and so many other migrants is just something we all can’t really comprehend.

so long as you're white and were born in the good ol' USA (or Canada etc), feel free to never lift a finger, live of the system and spew how migrants are "stealing our jobs".
as someone who has worked in the welfare system and now see exactly what you see (in France) I say w/100% sincerity that I have NO problem w migrants collecting welfare AND grinding like this (double dipping). they deserve it
it’s a different immigration thing here, boats coming up from africa, but the attitude here is pretty similar……disdain and thumbing of noses. the guy works like a maniac and his country has no opportunities. the next time someone complains in the US that their kids’ bus was 5 minutes late or a store closed at 11p or some other nonsense, i’ll feel free to admin a throat punch.

it’s a different immigration thing here, boats coming up from africa, but the attitude here is pretty similar……disdain and thumbing of noses. the guy works like a maniac and his country has no opportunities. the next time someone complains in the US that their kids’ bus was 5 minutes late or a store closed at 11p or some other nonsense, i’ll feel free to admin a throat punch.

yup, a major wakeup call when you move to europe and see men, clearly alone, wandering the streets, trying to make something of nothing... grinding for any opportunity.
working 100x harder than Ive ever worked, and for basically peanuts. knowing full well they've left everything and everyone behind.

so, our return date was to be 1/8, but wife came to me and said can we extend until 1/15? she is getting better each day and was bummed to leave without experiencing anything besides the hospital and the toilet. she can work anywhere, but i told my job that she really shouldn’t fly and they didn’t care if i stayed. my security gave me computer access for the week, so i can work here next week too. delta let us change with no charge. we are basically on the same flights, just a week later now.

room outside is 95% done. it’s great, but their trim finishes leave a lot to be desired. like open staples and screens that need to look nicer. the door is a bit of a hot mess, but nothing i can’t change up. they used magnetic grabs instead of a locking mechanism. room is 280cmx 530cm. 9’x17’ basically.

changing my mail and rental car and rental wifi is fun!

still here……new thing is that i just realized we are almost out of propane, which heats the house and water. since we are not here often, our consumption is weird in the system and the gas company doesn’t have us on a regular schedule. i am not used to filling a tank…..a take for granted thing. so, i called the gas company and they said tomorrow, which likely means after i go home. i have turned down heat and turned on the split hvacs in the rooms that have them to provide heat. me and my wife said it’s 2 steps forward here and 3 steps back. also, i got a nasty message from the existing gardener….lol. i will post later.

still here……new thing is that i just realized we are almost out of propane, which heats the house and water. since we are not here often, our consumption is weird in the system and the gas company doesn’t have us on a regular schedule. i am not used to filling a tank…..a take for granted thing. so, i called the gas company and they said tomorrow, which likely means after i go home. i have turned down heat and turned on the split hvacs in the rooms that have them to provide heat. me and my wife said it’s 2 steps forward here and 3 steps back. also, i got a nasty message from the existing gardener….lol. i will post later.

looking forward to the nasty note ...WHAT DID YOU DO???

looking forward to the nasty note ...WHAT DID YOU DO???
Essentially, we like this guy, but our impression is that he is on automatic, operating as if we are the prior owners, which is all we hear from him. Well, they did this, i did this, i do this, etc. The property has like a billion roses. We are rose fans, but want some items updated. New lavender, remove some roses for evergreens and ornamentals, etc. He has been reluctant and did not provide pricing to do some updating. Simultaneously, we found through research a local nursery that also builds structures. We decided to add an outside screened room that he handled and he agreed to do some minor replanting for us. We also needed a large dead willow removed. A week before we arrived, a different giant willow was uprooted and came down during a violent storm, so while he was on sight, we had him remove that as well. Apparently my old gardener sent me a happy holiday message when my wife was entering the hospital. I might've missed it or forgotten and not replied. I was treading water at that time and not really chit chatting, given how bad my wife was. Early January i get something the lines of "now i know why you didn't reply to my message! i helped you during the summer when you weren't here and this is the thanks i get? i have never had this happen to me before, because i didn't give you a quote and you are replacing ancient roses like trash and removed the beautiful willow! we won't repair what others do..........." etc. He must've come to the house in January without seeing if we were home. In reality, we had planned to meet with him and discuss other projects. Sometimes things happen. My wife being hospitalized put a wrench in all of our plans. I have not yet responded to rip him a new one.

Also, as an update.....our attorney who is on retainer for the Visa process sent us the instructions, a 14 step process, but not as daunting as that sounds. They handle some items on their own and some items are passports, ID, passport photos. I have about 13 items completed and am waiting for the school documentation only. Our goal is likely a 3/1 trip to Philly Italian Consulate for our Visa appointment. We have listed a start date of 6/24. Time is ticking.

Also, after the handrails were built in the house our carpenter noticed the presence of Wood Worms (beetle grubs), so another expense to bear as we go thru the exterminator process.

wood worm treatment next week.

we received our school letters and are finishing our cover letter. then, off to the consulate. 2/19 i will be selling one of my cars. and it begins……

also, first visitors appear to be family, as my wife’s sister and awful awful husband and miserable daughter will be visiting in july.

we received our school letters and are finishing our cover letter. then, off to the consulate. 2/19 i will be selling one of my cars. and it begins……

also, first visitors appear to be family, as my wife’s sister and awful awful husband and miserable daughter will be visiting in july.

What ended up happening with the ******* gardener?

look up 2-3 posts

look up 2-3 posts
I believe Krista is waiting for the rip a new one update. As am I. :lmao:

look up 2-3 posts
I believe Krista is waiting for the rip a new one update. As am I. :lmao:

Yep, exactly.

If you love an Italy and enjoy music, today just started the 5 night San Remo extravaganza on RAI 1. Pretty much, 30 of the top Italian music artists sing original songs, the winner on Saturday gets to represent Italy at Eurovision 2024. It is very very European and a great watch....helps to understand the culture a bit IMO. Just find RAI 1 on an IPTV server somewhere.

Wife just got the offer for the job in Geneva. Two biggest hurdles are 1) talking to MIL about the move and how she works into a move for me, wife, and twins. 2) Discuss with my leadership whether they are willing to let me work remotely from Switzerland in my current role or another role in my company. I'm willing to walk from this position for the opportunity for the family, but I'd rather keep my job (and my income).

the goal remains to return end of june. we have booked visa appointments for 3/8 and our jurisdiction is philly, we’ll spend 2 night there. realtor coming over to check out our house. 1 of 2 cars being sold on monday. dominoes beginning to fall.
So in hindsight, has this process kind of gone how you expected it would or has it turned into much more than you anticipated?

Wife just got the offer for the job in Geneva. Two biggest hurdles are 1) talking to MIL about the move and how she works into a move for me, wife, and twins. 2) Discuss with my leadership whether they are willing to let me work remotely from Switzerland in my current role or another role in my company. I'm willing to walk from this position for the opportunity for the family, but I'd rather keep my job (and my income).
how did they do money wise for her?

how did they do money wise for her?
It's a little hard to know, honestly. The salary is low compared to US salaries, but there's a "duty station" adjustment which accounts for local cost of living. As you can imagine, that's like quite high in Geneva. Interestingly as part of the UN, the salary is tax free in most nations, but not the US. They actually have an entire division devoted to US taxes that will help you file. They reimburse for US income taxes. Weird.

There's also a dependent education grant and some other benefits that are hard to calculate the value. Overall, the pay is decent and the wage livable. If I can keep my US salary, I think it will be OK for us. We won't be rich, but hopefully middle class.

Update: it seems that as the spouse of a UN professional in Switzerland that I actually am eligible to access the Swiss labor market. It actually might be more difficult to keep my current job and a US permanent address while living in Switzerland. Sorta the opposite of what I thought. Still a little fuzzy for me honestly.

My beautiful, smart, and amazing wife could start on April 8. We might take kids to Switzerland for Spring Break (week before Easter) to check out the neighborhood and schools.

Last edited:
Update: it seems that as the spouse of a UN professional in Switzerland that I actually am eligible to access the Swiss labor market. It actually might be more difficult to keep my current job and a US permanent address while living in Switzerland. Sorta the opposite of what I thought. Still a little fuzzy for me honestly.

Wide could start on April 8. We might take kids to Switzerland for Spring Break (week before Easter) to check out the neighborhood and schools.
Gutsy move there, gb. :oldunsure:

Wide could start on April 8. We might take kids to Switzerland for Spring Break (week before Easter) to check out the neighborhood and schools.
Think you meant "wife" there, unless it was a Freudian slip. :wink:

Think you meant "wife" there, unless it was a Freudian slip. :wink:
Lol, yes. Wife

So, my wife was annoyed to handle the reply and it was bit lighter than i would have sent. He responded, kind of defending himself and, while my wife wanted to reply, we decided that we have more important stuff to handle than get involved in a pointless back and forth. I would messaged much differently, but why waste the energy now....?

So, we have our whole package ready and while we were aiming for 3/8, we might go 3/15, just to give us an extra week to prepare, get flights, etc. Our meeting with the realtor was more positive than we expected, our value might be >$50k over what we thought. But timing is an issue. We really can't put this for sale until we know for sure that we have the visa, also getting our container ready. We can't sell and ship.....unless we decide that we get an offer that is too good to pass up and then we just live at the beach condo. If the money is too good, it might make our selling choice easy.

If anyone is familiar Philly, we booked a table at Gran Caffe l'aquila. Place has a great story and the menu is intriguing.

We will report back.

So, we have our whole package ready and while we were aiming for 3/8, we might go 3/15, just to give us an extra week to prepare, get flights, etc. Our meeting with the realtor was more positive than we expected, our value might be >$50k over what we thought. But timing is an issue. We really can't put this for sale until we know for sure that we have the visa, also getting our container ready. We can't sell and ship.....unless we decide that we get an offer that is too good to pass up and then we just live at the beach condo. If the money is too good, it might make our selling choice easy.
Chem X, what size container are you shipping and what was the cost?

looked at that today and i can hook you up with my guy……i am sending a 20’ private, not shared. $12,500-. door to door, but you pay taxes. it’s cheaper if you share a container, but then you are dependent on when the container fills and who you are sharing with….i am not sharing a container with the common man, people are animals.

also;

Based on the information you provided me with (20 foot container) above is your door-to-door rates to Italy. The company we hire to bring the container from the port will allow us two free hours to load the container anything above the two hours will be additional unless otherwise specified, furthermore note that chassis, scale fees, chassis split, pre-pulls and tolls are not included and might apply depending on the trucking company available the day of pickup. Once the shipment arrives at destination there are certain fees that might apply like taxes, duties, DTHC. Note that this rate is subject to change do to a GRI (general rate increase) coming up, also please note that transit times for containers can range from 6/8 weeks, this is just an approximate time, once the booking confirmation is sent to you it will have the ETA.Also keep in mind that due to lack of containers nationwide farther delays can be presented without notice. Also, please note that when doing international shipment, you are responsible for any port fees at the destination. Furthermore, please note that any shipment located above a second floor with or without elevator will encounter additional fees at origin or destination. You will receive an invoice for the quoted amount prior to the collection date. To avoid the re-scheduling of your loading date, please ensure payment is remitted upon receipt of invoice. If any additional fees are incurred on the day of loading, you will receive a final invoice later.

looked at that today and i can hook you up with my guy……i am sending a 20’ private, not shared. $12,500-. door to door, but you pay taxes. it’s cheaper if you share a container, but then you are dependent on when the container fills and who you are sharing with….i am not sharing a container with the common man, people are animals.
Thanks! We are a family of 4 (more if you count my MIL) so a full 20' container will likely be needed. Does your guy ship to Switzerland? It's considerably further from a port than Italy.

Thanks! We are a family of 4 (more if you count my MIL) so a full 20' container will likely be needed. Does your guy ship to Switzerland? It's considerably further from a port than Italy.
i’ll DM the contact. remember, it also depends what port it leaves from….mine is east coast.

cool thing was that we did a virtual move walk thru. he sets up a facetime call and you walk around the house with the phone and you show what you are moving. they are experts at sizing. next size up is a 40’, but it’s only about 3k more.

Wife's likely start date pushed to late May, after my twins' 11th birthday. That way I'm not solo parenting and dealing with my MIL while my wife pays rent in Geneva. Kids go to 2 different sleep away camps this summer and that period would mostly be me solo getting the house prepped to rent etc. My wife has to have a pretty lengthy health exam to get the contract... which she is not stoked about.

Users who are viewing this thread