What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA Basketball Thread - 2022-3 Season (3 Viewers)

Most impressive thing of the night? That goober Purdue white bench dude flying in for a follow dunk. Once in a lifetime play by that dude*.

*I’ve never watched the kid play, he may be a future NBA player and an athletic freak for all I know. And I’m a moron.
That kid is no goober. He's a redshirt freshman that will be starting next year. Minnesota's mr. basketball two years ago.

He can shoot the three and do stuff like you saw last night and this....

Edey spins the ball sideways on his shots too often. Now - in college - he's usually so close to the basket that he can still snatch it when it caroms left or right (or he makes it). He won't have that advantage in the NBA so much. A good shooting coach can help him with that, but he'll need to be broken down and rebuilt. He's done an amazing job with his fitness and stamina the last four years - maybe he can increase that a bit more as a pro, but he's never gonna be a gazelle.

Edey spins the ball sideways on his shots too often. Now - in college - he's usually so close to the basket that he can still snatch it when it caroms left or right (or he makes it). He won't have that advantage in the NBA so much. A good shooting coach can help him with that, but he'll need to be broken down and rebuilt. He's done an amazing job with his fitness and stamina the last four years - maybe he can increase that a bit more as a pro, but he's never gonna be a gazelle.
His slowness was exploited a couple of times last night similar to what NBA teams will do to him.

He'll be P&R'd to death in the NBA for too many easy buckets which is why he is a 2nd round pick instead of a top 5.

His slowness was exploited a couple of times last night similar to what NBA teams will do to him.

He'll be P&R'd to death in the NBA for too many easy buckets which is why he is a 2nd round pick instead of a top 5.
Great point. It’s why Clingan (also 2 years younger) is considered a better prospect. He’s got way more quickness and speed. Edey is stronger and weighs more so he was able to back college players down but UConn was able to make him decide and he didn’t have the speed to recover.

After airballing a free throw, Edey's game definitely has some room for improvement. :oldunsure:

As to Clingan, I have to wonder if his best option is to stay another year, pull in some NIL, and improve his game.

After airballing a free throw, Edey's game definitely has some room for improvement. :oldunsure:

As to Clingan, I have to wonder if his best option is to stay another year, pull in some NIL, and improve his game.

As others have pointed out, neither of theses guys really translate to todays NBA and I would definitely advise Clingan to return as he should be one of the main guys for them next year.

As others have pointed out, neither of theses guys really translate to todays NBA and I would definitely advise Clingan to return as he should be one of the main guys for them next year.
Most mocks I've seen have Clingan going in the top 5. That's a 3-year guaranteed contract. If the goal is purely maximizing career earnings, I would think coming out is the best move.

Edey making himself some real money tonight.
I was thinking the same thing in the first 10 minutes of that game. Then I felt like he proceeded to lose that, and some, over the next 30 minutes. I just don’t see how he is successful beyond a 10 minute per game reserve role in the League. His game just simply can’t translate.

Didn't they say during one of the games that Edey never played basketball until his sophomore year of high school? I would expect more growth/evolution in his game as a pro.
I’m sure that will be true, as these guys in the NBA have the best resources available to them and nothing but time to work on their games. He should improve.

That said, he will enter the League at the very lowest level of the athleticism spectrum, and that’s not likely to change. I don’t see how he’s going to be able to guard anyone, and he will be constantly exploited on the perimeter on the defensive end. On offense, his post game feels unrefined and he won’t have the day-in and day-out size advantage he had in college. I think he can hang around, but I would be pretty surprised if he ended up as anything more than a 9th-12th guy on a roster.

Yeah, his defense is what worries me. The way it fell off in the second half and let UCONN run circles around him is troubling. Maybe it's a conditioning thing but he needs a little more Gobert in him to be effective.

Most mocks I've seen have Clingan going in the top 5. That's a 3-year guaranteed contract. If the goal is purely maximizing career earnings, I would think coming out is the best move.

I don’t pay attention so I shouldn’t give ignorant advice - I’m shocked he’s considered a top 5 prospect, TBH.

Users who are viewing this thread