What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official - 2024 Major League Baseball Thread - It's a Holliday In Baltimodia, Where People Dress in Orange*** (1 Viewer)

MLB network about to carry the HOF announcement live.
Beltre (duh)
Mauer (meh)
Helton (meh)

No arod, Wagner, sheffield, Jones, manny

The hof voting is stupid
You must be from Minnesota? J/K Is Mauer a 1st ballot HOF? Debatable. Is he a HOF player. Yes. He won not one, but 3 batting titles as a catcher! He would have eventually moved to first base regardless of the concussion IMO, the concussion just sped things up. His numbers also slid after the concussion but were still respectable. I will never understand Twins fan angst with him. They were screaming before the contract extension that he would be just another Twins player that would not stay and leave for more money. After he signed they were screaming he was making too much money. I am glad to se he was viewed differently by National writers, because if it was Minnesota people only, he probably would not have gotten in.
I'm on the fence with Mauer but he's arguably the best hitting C of all time so I'm OK with him but first ballot?

Beltre (duh)
Mauer (meh)
Helton (meh)

The hof voting is stupid
You must be from Minnesota? J/K Is Mauer a 1st ballot HOF? Debatable. Is he a HOF player. Yes. He won not one, but 3 batting titles as a catcher! He would have eventually moved to first base regardless of the concussion IMO, the concussion just sped things up. His numbers also slid after the concussion but were still respectable. I will never understand Twins fan angst with him. They were screaming before the contract extension that he would be just another Twins player that would not stay and leave for more money. After he signed they were screaming he was making too much money. I am glad to se he was viewed differently by National writers, because if it was Minnesota people only, he probably would not have gotten in.
I'm on the fence with Mauer but he's arguably the best hitting C of all time so I'm OK with him but first ballot?
I might be biased because I am a Twins fan and watched his whole career, but I do agree to a certain extent. I think the biggest things that brought him down a bit were 1) a shorter than normal career. He is only 40 years old and already in the HOF in his first year of eligibility. 2) His time at first base. He was a great catcher but an average first baseman. I think that affects some people's view of him. Am I surprised he got in on the first ballot, A little bit. I would not have been surprised if he would have had to wait a couple years.

Is Mauer a 1st ballot HOF? Debatable. Is he a HOF player. Yes

This is not a comment on Mauer, just on the HoF voting in general. This is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of who's best on the ballot this year. If you aren't a "First Ballot HoF player" how do you improve your stats to become one after you are done playing? To me you either are or you aren't. And in recent years they have let Hall of Very Good players in all too often.

Anyway, GET OFF MY LAWN. :geek:

Beltre (duh)
Mauer (meh)
Helton (meh)

The hof voting is stupid
I'm sorry, what? I guess this is where the "arguably" comes in, but I'd like to hear your case for this. Especially with Mike Piazza having played the game.
:boxing:

This is not a comment on Mauer, just on the HoF voting in general. This is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of who's best on the ballot this year. If you aren't a "First Ballot HoF player" how do you improve your stats to become one after you are done playing? To me you either are or you aren't. And in recent years they have let Hall of Very Good players in all too often.

Because the baseball writers are a bunch of egotistical self-absorbed hall monitor gate keepers for something so sacred that THEM, and ONLY THEM, can provide the key for the front door.

Because the baseball writers are a bunch of egotistical self-absorbed hall monitor gate keepers for something so sacred that THEM, and ONLY THEM, can provide the key for the front door.
it's become a joke and it's only going to get worse with the new breed of baseball writers

I am not even sure if it is the Hall of Very Good. Harold Baines? Come on man.

To your point about "improving your stats when you are done playing"........I have never understood the guys that get in after 5 or 10 tries. What changed? You are either good enough or you are not. Time shouldn't be on your side. It should actually be a detriment. If you aren't an auto member when you are first eligible then how do you get better the further you are away from your playing days? I have never understood that.

To your point about "improving your stats when you are done playing"........I have never understood the guys that get in after 5 or 10 tries. What changed? You are either good enough or you are not. Time shouldn't be on your side. It should actually be a detriment. If you aren't an auto member when you are first eligible then how do you get better the further you are away from your playing days? I have never understood that.
Exactly! You are either are or you aren't. If no one is worthy that year, no one gets in. I get that MLB allows you to vote for 10 people. How often do we have that many worth in a year? I do not feel like that is a limiting factor like it might be for the NFL.

Beltre (duh)
Mauer (meh)
Helton (meh)

The hof voting is stupid
I'm sorry, what? I guess this is where the "arguably" comes in, but I'd like to hear your case for this. Especially with Mike Piazza having played the game.
Meant batting average wise. 3 batting titles

I generally agree with this. If youre not a first ballot HOFer than youre not a HOFer in my opinion. But then you got the voters who specifically dont vote for someone because they dont think they are first ballot HOFers. The whole thing needs to be blown up. How guys like Harold Baines, Scott Rolen, and Todd Helton (very good players) are in the HOF but guys like Bonds, Clemens, ARod, Manny, and Sheffield arent is an absolute joke.

I generally agree with this. If youre not a first ballot HOFer than youre not a HOFer in my opinion. But then you got the voters who specifically dont vote for someone because they dont think they are first ballot HOFers. The whole thing needs to be blown up. How guys like Harold Baines, Scott Rolen, and Todd Helton (very good players) are in the HOF but guys like Bonds, Clemens, ARod, Manny, and Sheffield arent is an absolute joke.
I think that is a different conversation. I say put all the roid users that belong into the hall and just add them to the Roids wing. Bonds, Clemens, ARod, Manny, McGwire, Palmerio.
Heck add the betting wing too and put in Rose and Shoeless Joe!

Beltre (duh)
Mauer (meh)
Helton (meh)

The hof voting is stupid
Piazza career .308 (highest season .362)
Mauer career .306 (highest season .365)

https://mlbcomparisons.com/mike-piazza-vs-joe-mauer-comparison/

Mauer is higher in doubles and triples (Speed helps). Again you may be able to make a case, but I think most would go Piazza.

Beltre (duh)
Mauer (meh)
Helton (meh)

The hof voting is stupid
Piazza career .308 (highest season .362)
Mauer career .306 (highest season .365)

https://mlbcomparisons.com/mike-piazza-vs-joe-mauer-comparison/

Mauer is higher in doubles and triples (Speed helps). Again you may be able to make a case, but I think most would go Piazza.
Mauer didn't play his whole career as a catcher. He moved to 1b/dh because of his injury concerns. He batted .328 as a catcher.

Mauer was also nowhere near the hitter after the concussion that he was before. He has commented that the concussion messed with his vision and he had to adjust his procedure at the plate because of it. He was still a very good hitter, but not your typical 1B type hitter and unfortunately not the hitter he was before the concussion.

I think is was somewhat understandable for a while when new analytics were being introduced.

Also, I assume there is some annual turnover in the BBWAA, so being on the ballot longer than a year can possibly help remove bias of some reporters? :shrug:

The BBWAA voting is imperfect but it's as good as any selection process. At least there's some transparency unlike selection committees working behind closed doors. There are always a few ridiculous writers' ballots but there are enough voters that the clowns get lost in the wash.

The current system sets the bar high: higher than for other sports or even for baseball itself from an earlier era. They've left a lot of guys out (IMO but I'm a big hall guy) but the ones who do get the call are all deserving.

Votto has been washed up for a few years now. He should definitely consider hanging them up.
It doesnt help that he is among the biggest jerks, or at least was, in all of baseball. Very unlikable.

What?? I'm biased, but I've never heard this and find it hard to believe.
Me neither. I actually think he's always been considered one of the good guys of baseball.
I'm not gonna overdo it and be doxxed, but I heard of enough encounters from my peers when I worked at MLB that I'm fairly certain.

Andrew McCutchen said that early in his career he had hit a single, and as he was standing on 1st, Votto leaned over and said to him, "You're going to be an MVP in this league, someday."

Cutch going back to Pittsburgh this year is a nice way to close out a great career. Too bad it's unlikely to end in a trip to the WS but who knows what will happen at the deadline.

Votto has been washed up for a few years now. He should definitely consider hanging them up.
It doesnt help that he is among the biggest jerks, or at least was, in all of baseball. Very unlikable.

Me neither. I actually think he's always been considered one of the good guys of baseball.
I'm not gonna overdo it and be doxxed, but I heard of enough encounters from my peers when I worked at MLB that I'm fairly certain.

You can't even give one vague example?

Pouring one out for Joe Smith who announced his retirement today. Smith was a reliable and durable reliever who appeared in 866 games over a fifteen year career mostly with Cleveland and the Anaheims. As a right hander throwing from a sidearm slot, he was very tough on right-handed batters. The three batter rule hurt him but not as much as age and accumulated workload.

Smith appeared in 70 games for five consecutive years with an ERA under 3 for four of them. He won a ring with the 2016 Cubs although he wasn't on their post-season roster. He and his wife NBA sideline reporter Allie LaForce have done a lot of charity work for Huntington's disease which runs in Smith's family.

Pouring one out for Joe Smith who announced his retirement today. Smith was a reliable and durable reliever who appeared in 866 games over a fifteen year career mostly with Cleveland and the Anaheims. As a right hander throwing from a sidearm slot, he was very tough on right-handed batters. The three batter rule hurt him but not as much as age and accumulated workload.

Smith appeared in 70 games for five consecutive years with an ERA under 3 for four of them. He won a ring with the 2016 Cubs although he wasn't on their post-season roster. He and his wife NBA sideline reporter Allie LaForce have done a lot of charity work for Huntington's disease which runs in Smith's family.
Had no idea he was married to Allie laforce

Corbin Burnes to the Orioles.

I like the deal for both teams.

Milwaukee might have been able to get more if they waited until the deadline but you can never count on a pitcher being healthy.

Ortiz and Hall are high floor prospects who should both be able to contribute something at the big league level this year.

You can't even give one vague example?
why you doxxing him bro...

Royals signing Bobby Jr to 11 year, $289 Million dollar extension.

That's 13 times the career earnings of his dad ($21.6M)

Royals ain't messing around this offseason.

:rolleyes:

Fun Bobby Witt Sr. story. In the late 80s/early 90s, my family owned a small bakery in near the community where a lot of the Texas Rangers lived, and I think Sr. still lives. Our specialty were decorated sugar cookies that a lot of people would buy for birthdays instead of a cake. Bobby Sr and his wife came in and ordered like 8 dozen cookies shaped and decorated for not a kid birthday party, but for their dog's birthday party. We delivered and the whole house was decorated and players were there, for a birthday party for their four legged kid.

Pouring one out for Corey Kluber who announced his retirement after a career that spanned thirteen seasons. He was one of the best pitchers in baseball during a dominant five year stretch in Cleveland (and my dynasty league club) from 2014 to 2018.

His B-R comps include a bunch of familiar names who burned brightly and briefly before age and injury took their toll.
  1. Stephen Strasburg (951.0)
  2. Gary Nolan (933.5)
  3. Chris Sale (931.4)
  4. Tim Lincecum (924.4)
  5. Yu Darvish (922.8)
  6. Kyle Hendricks (922.8)
  7. José Rijo (920.6)
  8. John Tudor (920.1)
  9. Zack Wheeler (920.0)
  10. Denny McLain (919.5)

The story with Washington and Strasburg is ridiculous, and confirms why I am always pro-player in these circumstances.

They signed the guy to a 245 million dollar deal without also taking out an insurance policy. Now, because of that lack of foresight, they want Strasburg to either defer his money into the 2030's or negotiate a settlement (meaning give money back). Strasburg has rightly refused.

They have kept him on the 40 man roster and are demanding that he show up for spring training. This is just a doosh move as Strasburg is physically incapable of ever playing again. Washington simply wants to annoy and frustrate him into giving into their demands.

The story with Washington and Strasburg is ridiculous, and confirms why I am always pro-player in these circumstances.

They signed the guy to a 245 million dollar deal without also taking out an insurance policy. Now, because of that lack of foresight, they want Strasburg to either defer his money into the 2030's or negotiate a settlement (meaning give money back). Strasburg has rightly refused.

They have kept him on the 40 man roster and are demanding that he show up for spring training. This is just a doosh move as Strasburg is physically incapable of ever playing again. Washington simply wants to annoy and frustrate him into giving into their demands.
I get what you’re saying, but if the Nats want me to report to spring training for those millions of $$ I’m buying a plane ticket

I don’t see anything wrong with Washington requiring him to report. In most situations, the team and player reach an injury settlement and player retires. If not, player still subject to the terms of contract, just like the team.

Last edited:
I get what you’re saying, but if the Nats want me to report to spring training for those millions of $$ I’m buying a plane ticket
I agree with you, in general.

But, Washington signed Strasburg to this contract given his age/history/position without taking out an insurance policy. That was a poor decision based on a gamble that did not pay off, which they are now trying to recoup at Strasburg's expense. As The Athletic article pointed out, the Mets with David Wright and Texas with Prince Fielder made certain to have insurance so when those two players could no longer play, the financial burden was alleviated.

In the grand scheme of things, Scherzer outperformed his contract with Washington by tens of millions of dollars. I am guessing that at no time did the FO ever consider tearing up his contract and offering him a new one.

Is he retired or not? If he retired why should he get paid. If he's not then he should be at camp or they should settle.

Users who are viewing this thread