What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official - 2024 Major League Baseball Thread - Mahomes is Better At Baseball Than Jose Abreu*** (8 Viewers)

Cutch is next on the fan in Pittsburgh. Wonder if he'll mention the meeting with the ball.

“We know how it is sometimes, people get baseballs, they ask for the moon,” McCutchen said on the 93.7 The Fan Pirates postgame show. “They want everything, and rightfully so, but when you have people like that, that are genuine and just want to get to meet you. It makes you think about things.”

“It makes you think about the bigger picture and how life works sometimes. I got to have that moment with them and it was special for me.”

Cutch is next on the fan in Pittsburgh. Wonder if he'll mention the meeting with the ball.

“We know how it is sometimes, people get baseballs, they ask for the moon,” McCutchen said on the 93.7 The Fan Pirates postgame show. “They want everything, and rightfully so, but when you have people like that, that are genuine and just want to get to meet you. It makes you think about things.”

“It makes you think about the bigger picture and how life works sometimes. I got to have that moment with them and it was special for me.”
Now how great is that.

Class all the way @fred_1_15301 . You and him. That's how you raise a boy.

:headbang:

Ok so I know none of you will believe me but my name isn’t actually Fred and I’m the guy that caught McCutchen’s 300th HR today. There is at least one FBG on here who could verify that. One of the best and most insane days of my life and I got to experience it with my 9 year old son!
I hope they threw beer on you ..... ;)

Awesome
The fans were so awesome to us all game. When I caught that ball, they booed the heck out of me when I refused to throw it back. I just stood up, pointed to my shirt and yelled “that isn’t happening!”. At that point I had no idea that it was # 300. Then next thing I know we are being whisked away by security and taking pics/videos with Cutch and the other Pirates. This will be a day that Toren never forgets!

I think I (and maybe others) had forgotten about your son’s health journey. I’m sure it makes it even more special for your family.

How is he doing?

So happy for him!

The white sox are going to be setting some records this year….and not the good kind.

Holy **** this is hard to take.

Ok so I know none of you will believe me but my name isn’t actually Fred and I’m the guy that caught McCutchen’s 300th HR today. There is at least one FBG on here who could verify that. One of the best and most insane days of my life and I got to experience it with my 9 year old son!

Awesome
The fans were so awesome to us all game. When I caught that ball, they booed the heck out of me when I refused to throw it back. I just stood up, pointed to my shirt and yelled “that isn’t happening!”. At that point I had no idea that it was # 300. Then next thing I know we are being whisked away by security and taking pics/videos with Cutch and the other Pirates. This will be a day that Toren never forgets!

I think I (and maybe others) had forgotten about your son’s health journey. I’m sure it makes it even more special for your family.

How is he doing?

So happy for him!
Apologies in advance for the novel..........

Thank you @AAABatteries ! Yes Toren was diagnosed with Acute Leukemia in October of 2022. The first 10-12 months of his journey were extremely difficult for all of us (Toren, younger sister Zanya, mom and dad) but he fought hard and taught me a lot of things about resiliency and character. Kids are just different beasts compared to adults. He's now in the maintenance phase of treatment and doing great. I dare say he's pretty much back to "normal" and we can certainly see the light at the end of the tunnel. Obviously from the video you can see that he has a nice, healthy head of hair again (unlike his dad). I told him last summer that he would soon have more hair than me and here we are! There were a couple FBGs (won't mention any names) that were instrumental in helping us get through this.

Yesterday was an absolute surreal experience for us. I really am a diehard Pirates fan and Cutch has always been my favorite player growing up (I wasn't old enough during the Stargell/Clemente days). Let me tell you about the unbelievable chain of events that had to happen for us to get that ball:

1. I had just gotten back from a business trip Thursday night and was not really in the mood to go to a game over the weekend. Toren was adamant that he wanted to see his Pirates.
2. My wife and I had planned for the 4 of us to go to the game on Saturday. However, the weather was really crappy and we decided to scrap that plan.
3. Toren was adamant that he now wanted to go on Sunday (last chance to see the Pirates in Philly unless they meet in October - lol yeah good one). We have close friends who are Phils season ticket holders and usually just buy their tickets. They had already sold them.
4. Wheeler was pitching and the weather was going to be gorgeous so there were only a handful of seats left. In fact, 4 of us going together was no longer an option. I asked Toren to pick who he wanted to go with and he picked me over mom! She's shorter than me and would have had no chance at catching that ball!
5. Tickets for 2 were also extremely limited. Basically there were upper deck and a few remaining seats just beyond the outfield fence. Obviously the upper deck tickets were cheaper but I decided that giving him a nice view and experience was worth the extra money. The potential for catching a HR ball did not play into my decision at all lol.
6. I told Toren at the start of the game that if the Pirates are losing late, we are leaving early to beat out traffic. They're facing Wheeler so we both agreed the odds of that are pretty damn good.
7. Suwinski hits that grand slam (after some sloppy Phils defense) and I tell him that we're sticking around until the end of the game.
8. The 9th inning hits and all I'm thinking is that I just want the game to end and go home. I wasn't even paying attention to what was going on at that point.
9. Then the play happens and well you all see the amount of fortuitous luck that directs that ball into my hand lol.

When we were in the clubhouse with Cutch and the other players/staff, one of the guys asked Toren if he plays baseball. Since his diagnosis, he has a port in his chest to receive his infusions and cannot play any contact sports. I thought about mentioning his cancer right there but decided not to. I felt that the moment was about Cutch and not us. In hindsight and now witnessing how classy of a man Cutch is, I feel that I made a mistake. It likely would have made that moment so much more special for Cutch if he knew that the Pirates fan (in Philly surrounded by red) who got that ball has gone through hell for the past year and a half.

The chapter isn't over yet. The principal of Toren's school has connections with people high up in the Phillies organization. He contacted me today and wants to get the word of Toren out to the Pirates. Not that I need or want anything for our family but me somehow catching that ball has probably changed his life. After what he's been through, I want him to be spoiled. I still just can't believe it happened. It doesn't even feel real and Toren's story makes it an absolute miracle.

p.s. I hate the fact that I'm all over the internet but it was all worth it for Toren to experience this.

Awesome

How is he doing?

So happy for him!

Thank you @AAABatteries !
p.s. I hate the fact that I'm all over the internet but it was all worth it for Toren to experience this.

I will throw beer on you myself next time......

Not sure I can help but I'll mention it to my BiL , he's a scout for the org

Awesome

How is he doing?

So happy for him!

Thank you @AAABatteries ! Yes Toren was diagnosed with Acute Leukemia in October of 2022. The first 10-12 months of his journey were extremely difficult for all of us (Toren, younger sister Zanya, mom and dad) but he fought hard and taught me a lot of things about resiliency and character. Kids are just different beasts compared to adults. He's now in the maintenance phase of treatment and doing great. I dare say he's pretty much back to "normal" and we can certainly see the light at the end of the tunnel. Obviously from the video you can see that he has a nice, healthy head of hair again (unlike his dad). I told him last summer that he would soon have more hair than me and here we are! There were a couple FBGs (won't mention any names) that were instrumental in helping us get through this.

Yesterday was an absolute surreal experience for us. I really am a diehard Pirates fan and Cutch has always been my favorite player growing up (I wasn't old enough during the Stargell/Clemente days). Let me tell you about the unbelievable chain of events that had to happen for us to get that ball:

1. I had just gotten back from a business trip Thursday night and was not really in the mood to go to a game over the weekend. Toren was adamant that he wanted to see his Pirates.
2. My wife and I had planned for the 4 of us to go to the game on Saturday. However, the weather was really crappy and we decided to scrap that plan.
3. Toren was adamant that he now wanted to go on Sunday (last chance to see the Pirates in Philly unless they meet in October - lol yeah good one). We have close friends who are Phils season ticket holders and usually just buy their tickets. They had already sold them.
4. Wheeler was pitching and the weather was going to be gorgeous so there were only a handful of seats left. In fact, 4 of us going together was no longer an option. I asked Toren to pick who he wanted to go with and he picked me over mom! She's shorter than me and would have had no chance at catching that ball!
5. Tickets for 2 were also extremely limited. Basically there were upper deck and a few remaining seats just beyond the outfield fence. Obviously the upper deck tickets were cheaper but I decided that giving him a nice view and experience was worth the extra money. The potential for catching a HR ball did not play into my decision at all lol.
6. I told Toren at the start of the game that if the Pirates are losing late, we are leaving early to beat out traffic. They're facing Wheeler so we both agreed the odds of that are pretty damn good.
7. Suwinski hits that grand slam (after some sloppy Phils defense) and I tell him that we're sticking around until the end of the game.
8. The 9th inning hits and all I'm thinking is that I just want the game to end and go home. I wasn't even paying attention to what was going on at that point.
9. Then the play happens and well you all see the amount of fortuitous luck that directs that ball into my hand lol.

When we were in the clubhouse with Cutch and the other players/staff, one of the guys asked Toren if he plays baseball. Since his diagnosis, he has a port in his chest to receive his infusions and cannot play any contact sports. I thought about mentioning his cancer right there but decided not to. I felt that the moment was about Cutch and not us. In hindsight and now witnessing how classy of a man Cutch is, I feel that I made a mistake. It likely would have made that moment so much more special for Cutch if he knew that the Pirates fan (in Philly surrounded by red) who got that ball has gone through hell for the past year and a half.

The chapter isn't over yet. The principal of Toren's school has connections with people high up in the Phillies organization. He contacted me today and wants to get the word of Toren out to the Pirates. Not that I need or want anything for our family but me somehow catching that ball has probably changed his life. After what he's been through, I want him to be spoiled. I still just can't believe it happened. It doesn't even feel real and Toren's story makes it an absolute miracle.

Amazing. All of this. What a wonderful story. So happy for your family and go Bucs!

Awesome

How is he doing?

So happy for him!

Wish I could :heart: this more than once. So awesome for Toren and your family!!

Awesome

How is he doing?

So happy for him!

Amazing story Fred, thank you for typing this all out and sharing. Huge Bucs/Cutch fan here so that part especially hits home, but incredible story even outside that.

The white sox are going to be setting some records this year….and not the good kind.

I tried watching the game yesterday and got through 6 or so innings. The pitching hasn't looked horrible, for the most part, but the offense and the defense? Sheesh. WTF.

I knew they were going to struggle for runs but didn't Getz promise that the defense was going to be better?

I'm not expecting miracles or career revivals but sheesh, at least try to hit somewhere near your career average. Someone....anyone.

I tried watching the game yesterday and got through 6 or so innings. The pitching hasn't looked horrible, for the most part, but the offense and the defense? Sheesh. WTF.

I knew they were going to struggle for runs but didn't Getz promise that the defense was going to be better?

I'm not expecting miracles or career revivals but sheesh, at least try to hit somewhere near your career average. Someone....anyone.

I see the Oscar Colas experiment lasted 1 AB. Gawd!

Awesome

How is he doing?

So happy for him!

How can you not be romantic about baseball?

Awesome

How is he doing?

So happy for him!

This gave me chills, what an unbelievable experience. So happy for you and especially your son.

Awesome

How is he doing?

So happy for him!

Wow, so great, got a little dusty in hear reading this. "How Can You Not Be Romantic About Baseball?"

Gunnar Henderson's swing is just.......gorgeous.
It is.

On another note, my semi-regular rant about the stupid TV rules for MLB. I apparently live in a dead zone to be able to watch Baltimore. I'm considered "in market" by MLBTV (even though there is another MLB team twice as close to me), so I cannot even buy Orioles games. But neither is the RSN that carries the Orioles available to me on any cable or streaming carrier because I live too far away.

It is.

On another note, my semi-regular rant about the stupid TV rules for MLB. I apparently live in a dead zone to be able to watch Baltimore. I'm considered "in market" by MLBTV (even though there is another MLB team twice as close to me), so I cannot even buy Orioles games. But neither is the RSN that carries the Orioles available to me on any cable or streaming carrier because I live too far away.

Sucks. This year, the Mariners were taken away from standard cable....not that I was a diehard viewer or anything, but it's nice to turn on a baseball game in the evening when I'm rarely alone in my house. Can't even do that this year. :kicksrock:

I'd for sure pay a few bucks to watch the Os this season. So dumb you can't support them. That's broken.

It is.

Sucks. This year, the Mariners were taken away from standard cable....not that I was a diehard viewer or anything, but it's nice to turn on a baseball game in the evening when I'm rarely alone in my house. Can't even do that this year. :kicksrock:

I'd for sure pay a few bucks to watch the Os this season. So dumb you can't support them. That's broken.
And if they are the game of the day on MLB network? They black me out. I guess, if they are ever on Fox or ESPN, I'll (maybe?) get them.

if they are ever on Fox or ESPN, I'll (maybe?) get them.
Yes. In those instances they are the "Game of the Week" so they aren't on the "local" station which would cause the blackout. I have this issue with Dodger games. I am not a Dodger fan but I do like Glasnow and would like to see his starts but I can't because of hte blackout rules.

in today's streaming and limited access (strange dichotomy) I have no idea why the blackout rules are still in place. I mean you can choose which feed you get on MLB.tv so why not give access to local teams through there but only allow the local feed. That way you are still watching the local commercials and the advertising revenue is still getting their audience. It amazes that they haven't figured this out yet as it really is hurting the product.

why not give access to local teams through there but only allow the local feed. That way you are still watching the local commercials and the advertising revenue is still getting their audience. It amazes that they haven't figured this out yet as it really is hurting the product.
But what about the beloved cable companies that pay for the RSN? Who will look out for those poor saps?

why not give access to local teams through there but only allow the local feed. That way you are still watching the local commercials and the advertising revenue is still getting their audience. It amazes that they haven't figured this out yet as it really is hurting the product.
But what about the beloved cable companies that pay for the RSN? Who will look out for those poor saps?
I think it would be easy to work around. That was my point about the feed you get to see. Currently in the MLB.TV app you can choose which feed you get to watch the game. For those located in the local area you would only get the local feed (RSN feed for instance). That way that cable company is still getting the viewership (essentially) because the viewer is watching their telecast. Seems easy to accommodate.......but of course that is just me thinking simple.

It is.

It is ******* stupid. Where I live the Pirates, Phillies, Mets and Yankees are blacked out. The closest of those stadiums is a 3 hour drive 🙄

Can you use a VPN to get around blackouts? I can’t say that I’ve needed to do myself though.
Probably. But I'm not doing that - I've used up most of my tech patience the last several years. It's easier for me to ***** about it than go the extra mile :lol:
That is me to a T. I held on to DirecTV way too long because I really didn't want to learn the new tech (yes I am old). When they lost the Sunday Ticket it was the push I needed. Now I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Although I do hate having to jump around from service to service if I just change my mind on what I want to watch. That is a bit of a pain. but not terrible.

It is.

It is ******* stupid. Where I live the Pirates, Phillies, Mets and Yankees are blacked out. The closest of those stadiums is a 3 hour drive 🙄
Your avatar says you support the Dodgers though.

Can you use a VPN to get around blackouts? I can’t say that I’ve needed to do myself though.
Probably. But I'm not doing that - I've used up most of my tech patience the last several years. It's easier for me to ***** about it than go the extra mile :lol:
That is me to a T. I held on to DirecTV way too long because I really didn't want to learn the new tech (yes I am old). When they lost the Sunday Ticket it was the push I needed. Now I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. Although I do hate having to jump around from service to service if I just change my mind on what I want to watch. That is a bit of a pain. but not terrible.
I stopped jumping around with streaming services several years ago. Too much work. I'm good with what I have. I would pay a la carte to watch the Orioles, though.

It is.

Your avatar says you support the Dodgers though.
I do obviously. I don’t get to see them live when they’re on the west coast usually because it’s too late for me. Then they come to my time zone and get blacked out often. It’s stupid

I think it would be easy to work around. That was my point about the feed you get to see. Currently in the MLB.TV app you can choose which feed you get to watch the game. For those located in the local area you would only get the local feed (RSN feed for instance). That way that cable company is still getting the viewership (essentially) because the viewer is watching their telecast. Seems easy to accommodate.......but of course that is just me thinking simple.
:no:

The cable companies don't make squat (ok by me, as they're historically one of the worst around) when you use the MLB.tv app on your phone (direct or casting to your tv) or through your smart TV app. The cable company doesn't get any viewership (or revenue) from that. At least I can't see how Spectrum is making any money off of my watching the Dodgers via MLB.tv on my PC (ftr, Spectrum is not my internet provider either).

The whole system is still sorting itself out as there is big money involved. The cable companies pay money to the regional sports networks to carry the "local" teams games. They sell ads during these games, the price of which is driven by viewership. I guess in your model, they'd have to somehow be able to track who is watching the game via MLB.tv locally, and somehow credit that viewership so that the revenue to the cable companies from ads doesn't crater.

:no:

The cable companies don't make squat (ok by me, as they're historically one of the worst around) when you use the MLB.tv app on your phone (direct or casting to your tv) or through your smart TV app. The cable company doesn't get any viewership (or revenue) from that. At least I can't see how Spectrum is making any money off of my watching the Dodgers via MLB.tv on my PC (ftr, Spectrum is not my internet provider either).

The whole system is still sorting itself out as there is big money involved. The cable companies pay money to the regional sports networks to carry the "local" teams games. They sell ads during these games, the price of which is driven by viewership. I guess in your model, they'd have to somehow be able to track who is watching the game via MLB.tv locally, and somehow credit that viewership so that the revenue to the cable companies from ads doesn't crater.
In Spectrum's case (your example) - they own the channel / feed / broadcast showing the Dodgers game (i.e. they're also the regional sports network, it's called SpectrumSportsNet). So I imagine they're getting paid by MLB.tv, etc. to have access to their feed. I know that isn't the arrangement for most other teams.

I'm guessing Gally's solution, in this particular case and any similar ones, would be MLB tv allows the unedited local feed if you're in the blackout market, with local commercials and all. Then Spectrum corp isn't missing out on revenue beyond that lost due to lack of their cable/internet hook up package.

Last edited:
It is.

I have this same issue. I live in Iowa, 4 hours away from the closest MLB teams. MN, KC, CHI Cubs and White Sox, STL, and MIL are all blacked out. When Bally got into the Peeing match with Dish, DirecTV and all of the streaming services, I got tired of not being able to watch Twins games and went down the dark alley of streaming. Now I can watch all MLB games. I would gladly give them my $$, but if they are going to stick with these antique blackout rules, I will stay on the dark side.

I really hate the virtual box they use that purports to be the strike zone. I'd pay extra for a broadcast that kept that crap out.
I don't mind it and kind of miss it when it's not there but that is more because I'm used to it now.

I do think that box is a big driver of fans getting on umps missing ball/strike calls though. Without it I doubt there would be as much complaining by fans about the strike zone.

I will hate it if they ever go to full robo ump but I wouldn't mind the challenge system some minor leagues have used. It's quick and corrects really bad calls

I really hate the virtual box they use that purports to be the strike zone. I'd pay extra for a broadcast that kept that crap out.
It has ruined baseball and perception of how games are called.

Yes there are lousy calls....but that stupid freaking box has everyone thinking they are an umpire.

Yer not.

And it's ugly and highly intrusive. It's bad enough we have a stinking news ticker constantly scrolling the same **** inning after inning after inning. It's highly distracting. How about having the ticker in the 2nd, 5th and 8th innings and not having to see it the entire game.

Now the score bug is a great graphic and all I personally care to see.

These days the screen is filled with clutter. Ugh.

Super imposed ad's, those ****ing butt ugly patches on uniforms now.....it's a mess.

I do think that box is a big driver of fans getting on umps missing ball/strike calls though. Without it I doubt there would be as much complaining by fans about the strike zone.
Only the triggering mechanism for fans whining about balls & strikes has changed. It's been going on for 150 years, superimposed box or no superimposed box.
Yep, the only difference is now we're a little better informed when we start whining about the call.

Only the triggering mechanism for fans whining about balls & strikes has changed. It's been going on for 150 years, superimposed box or no superimposed box.
It goes beyond a triggering mechanism though. Sure people always argued balls/strikes but with the box everyone thinks they are experts and it makes the complaining much, much worse.

I am of the belief that going to a full robo ump for ball/strikes will make people even more triggered because there are ton's of borderline pitches that will be called strikes that will visually look terrible. Breaking balls nipping a front corner of the "box" is technically a strike but essentially unhittable while also visually looking like a ball. This will inflame fans and be counterproductive.

I am all for the challenge system (if we have to go to some form of robo ump). It's not intrusive and will correct obviously bad calls which is good. I am old school though and would prefer if nothing changed and we didn't do robo ump at all. Learning that games strike zone for the pitcher and hitters is a nuance of the game I like. It requires umps to be consistent (which can be a problem) but I like that part of the game.

It goes beyond a triggering mechanism though. Sure people always argued balls/strikes but with the box everyone thinks they are experts and it makes the complaining much, much worse.

I am of the belief that going to a full robo ump for ball/strikes will make people even more triggered because there are ton's of borderline pitches that will be called strikes that will visually look terrible. Breaking balls nipping a front corner of the "box" is technically a strike but essentially unhittable while also visually looking like a ball. This will inflame fans and be counterproductive.

I am all for the challenge system (if we have to go to some form of robo ump). It's not intrusive and will correct obviously bad calls which is good. I am old school though and would prefer if nothing changed and we didn't do robo ump at all. Learning that games strike zone for the pitcher and hitters is a nuance of the game I like. It requires umps to be consistent (which can be a problem) but I like that part of the game.
The CF camera had at least as big an effect as that box, IMO. That's when there was a big jump in fan-experts.

Users who are viewing this thread