What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (2 Viewers)

I don't think yesterday went well. I think we took the wrong QB and I agree with what's been said about failing to trade into the back of the first to get an OT.

That said, I'm getting over it. Peters still has my good will and WTF do I know about this stuff anyways? I don't do this for a living.

Bring on tonight. We'll probably end up with a very solid CB and a project OT in the 2nd, no clue about the 3rd.

Day 2 of the draft -- what do you guys think may happen. Looking at all the "Best Players left" boards is interesting. If you compare Washington needs vs. Best Players left boards, I now don't expect them to go OT at 36.

Instead, there are some good CBs and WRs up there.

CB: Cooper DeJean, Kool-Aid McKinstry
WR: Adonai Mitchell

My gut says if one of the two CBs are up there, we go get them?

At 40, taking a tackle may be a reach. But I think unless he trades back -- which I think is a real possibility -- Peters almost has to take one of those tackles we discussed earlier in this thread: Rosengarten, Suamataia, or Amegadjie. Maybe the guy from ND...Fisher? But if that is too big of a reach at 40, then could totally see a move down to get more picks. It seems incredible that we would push OT further down our board but that's what happens when you miss out on all the best ones.

Somewhere in the third I see a TE going? Sanders or maybe Sinnot?

Also I think ideally we would find DE and WR somewhere in the third. I'm thinking about Fatness comment to get 5 starters. I'm not sure about 5, but you could certainly try for OT (rotational if not starting), DE (rotational if not starting), TE, WR3, CB

What do you all think?

I’m on record in a different thread saying I think Jaylen will be.a bust. I think he was a product of his surroundings at lsu. I dislike his size too. Plus I really liked maye a lot.

That being said Daniels was the #2 rated QB, so it was the right pick per the experts, I’m 100% behind what peters is trying to do. Rome wasn’t built in a day. We aren’t going to win a Super Bowl with a roster of 1-2 year bridge contracts. There is a visible plan of getting depth at every position.

To me the coaches were the big hires. What we have now is a vast improvement. So we at least have a fighting chance to compete now while building something bigger for the future.

Peters won’t hit on everyone. But I hope he’s right about Jayden. Having that position locked down for years to come makes everything easier.

I agree with every comment above.

I'm far from sold on Daniels. I'm hoping my dislike stems from having PTSD from RGIII. He just seems so similar - and as @(HULK) said, I'm very worried he'll be broken a few weeks in and we'll all be wearing leis and praying to Hawaiian fire gods that Mariota has something left in the tank.

...But...with all that said, I agree there were as many questions about the other QB's. Trading back from #2 to anywhere outside the top 10 or so picks is way too risky as you do need a QB...and trading back only a few spaces isn't worth it. I have to have faith in the experts...and be happy I can actually call them "experts" this year given the clown show of the past few decades. It's a process and this is step 1.

I’m on record in a different thread saying I think Jaylen will be.a bust. I think he was a product of his surroundings at lsu. I dislike his size too. Plus I really liked maye a lot.

That being said Daniels was the #2 rated QB, so it was the right pick per the experts, I’m 100% behind what peters is trying to do. Rome wasn’t built in a day. We aren’t going to win a Super Bowl with a roster of 1-2 year bridge contracts. There is a visible plan of getting depth at every position.

To me the coaches were the big hires. What we have now is a vast improvement. So we at least have a fighting chance to compete now while building something bigger for the future.

Peters won’t hit on everyone. But I hope he’s right about Jayden. Having that position locked down for years to come makes everything easier.

I'm far from sold on Daniels. I'm hoping my dislike stems from having PTSD from RGIII. He just seems so similar - and as @(HULK) said, I'm very worried he'll be broken a few weeks in and we'll all be wearing leis and praying to Hawaiian fire gods that Mariota has something left in the tank.

...But...with all that said, I agree there were as many questions about the other QB's. Trading back from #2 to anywhere outside the top 10 or so picks is way too risky as you do need a QB...and trading back only a few spaces isn't worth it. I have to have faith in the experts...and be happy I can actually call them "experts" this year given the clown show of the past few decades. It's a process and this is step 1.
PTSD of RG3 and I also get Emmanuel Forbes vibes

Maybe we'll take a 2nd QB later for insurance. I wouldn't mind that. We hit gold before with Cousins and of course Peters did with Purdy. I still have faith in our coaches/staff.

I will also say this, I think Terry and Jahan can be every bit as good for Jayden as Nabers and Thomas were at LSU. So for those that think LSU made Daniels success, I see no reason he can't duplicate with our WRs. I also think we might take a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round to add to that talent.

"I’m on record in a different thread saying I think Jayden will be a bust. I think he was a product of his surroundings ...To me the coaches were the big hires. ... Peters won’t hit on everyone. But I hope he’s right about Jayden."
I agree with you & the others, to me they could've extracted more value from the pick. But the decision-makers, the process that went into to determining them I think was excellent. Even if they did fuq this up, it's on, they're coming! Very confident in how the team is managed. But right after Daniels was selected Charles Davis lent credence to the rumor that he sought advice from Peters through Brandon Aiyuk, regarding his draft stock last year. IIRC, while Davis confirmed that Daniels came away upset, he stayed away from the part where Peters purportedly told Daniels his game didn't translate.

The plan today, given that the best defense is not relinquishing possession of the football in the 1st place AND they need help on the offensive side of the ball, that should be the focus. A good portion of the discussion has been about LT & Norris mentioned Kingsley Suamataia. He's one, but from what I've read I think Patrick Paul is an interesting prospect too. Accordingly, not as well-rounded as Suamataia (an early entry), but brings elite length. I suspect he's still on the board because he's more one-dimensional. Thing there, so often the LT is going against a sell-out edge rusher anyway. On a team that places a greater emphasis on balance perhaps Suamataia or one of the other remaining OTs would be a better fit? But this version of the Air-Raid is going to pass-oriented featuring multi-WRs sets, I like Paul.

At pick 40? No idea, but a common concept of the Air-Raid is quick, efficient plays. Thus, YAC-types WRs can factor big. And look who's still sitting there, none other than Malachi Corley!! Physical, put together like a ball-carrier, GO GET HIM!! No, better a guy that knows when he's the hot read or running a choice route or cab get you instance separation? Ladd McConkey, GO GET HIM!! lol Perhaps a LT & then Jamari Thrash later?

I will also say this, I think Terry and Jahan can be every bit as good for Jayden as Nabers and Thomas were at LSU. So for those that think LSU made Daniels success, I see no reason he can't duplicate with our WRs. I also think we might take a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round to add to that talent.

- We desperately need another WR or passing catching TE. Can't roll out there without a 3rd option. I love McConkey.
- We need a CB or FS something fierce.
- And obviously we need OL. Of those left I like Patrick Paul, who they may be able to get in round 3.

Edge and LB are other needs but I feel like they can wait until 2025.

I would also draft another QB on day 3. I like Michael Pratt who admittedly looked absolutely terrible at the combine.

Speaking of Forbes, I'm hoping that the new coaching staff improves his play drastically. The guy is talented but looked totally lost, like he was making up what scheme he was playing which was totally out of sync with the rest of the team. Del Rio was terrible and when Ron took over as DC they got worse. So many defensive players looked like they didn't know what to do. I'm also looking for the new coaching staff to get Quan Martin to up his play. I haven't given up on either Forbes or Martin. I want to see how they do with real coaching.

Speaking of Forbes, I'm hoping that the new coaching staff improves his play drastically. The guy is talented but looked totally lost, like he was making up what scheme he was playing which was totally out of sync with the rest of the team. Del Rio was terrible and when Ron took over as DC they got worse. So many defensive players looked like they didn't know what to do. I'm also looking for the new coaching staff to get Quan Martin to up his play. I haven't given up on either Forbes or Martin. I want to see how they do with real coaching.
That makes 1 of us. I have like zero confidence in him. Washington took an undersized CB hoped he can put on weight and now took an undersized QB hoping he can put on weight. I think they're gonna draft a CB probably Cam Hart today with Elijah Jones the backup plan, look for one those guys names to be called by pick 100.

Last edited:

This is a legit point. Wasn't our DB coach last year essentially a HS coach? It's too early to give up on Forbes and Martin...for that matter BSJ. I still think if one of top CBs is there at 36 we might pull the trigger, but yeah...there is no need to discard last year's rookies just yet...

Jayden Daniels, on who he leans on in the league: "Brandon Aiyuk a lot. I talk to him three or four times a day almost every day. So I lean on him a lot. He's he's done it at a high level for four-plus years and going on his fifth year, so I'm excited just to learn from him and try to get some game, but also just coming in and get to learn from my teammates now. They started it off and I'm happy I get to follow them."

Attachments

• IN48ugyA_bigger.jpg
    IN48ugyA_bigger.jpg
    693 bytes · Views: 1
Last edited:
Ben Standig
@BenStandig
In between the Jayden Daniels of it all, Josh Harris revealed that "every single veteran showed up" for the initial part of the Commanders' ** voluntary ** off-season program. "I mean, that's pretty remarkable. These guys don't have to show up."
6:26 PM · Apr 26, 2024

Roger Rosengarten, OT, Washington (69)*
Patrick Paul, OT, Houston (59)
Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame (73)
Kiran Amegadjie, Yale (87)*

Marshawn Kneeland, DE, Western Michigan (32)*
Chris Braswell, DE, Alabama (67)*
Austin Booker, DE, Kansas (78)*
Bralen Trice, DE, Washington (82)

Cooper DeJean, DB, Iowa (27)
Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama (30)
T.J. Tampa, CB, Iowa State (55)
Dadrion Taylor-Demerson, S, Texas Tech (96)

Ja’Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas (57)*
Jared Wiley, TE, TCU (89)*

Keon Coleman, WR, Floria State (37)
Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia (31)

Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M (46)

Johnny Newton, DT, Illinois (28)
Jaden Hicks, S, Washington State (39)
Malachi Corley, WR, Western Kentucky (54)
Max Melton, CB, Rutgers (63)
Braden Fiske, DT, Florida State (71)
Blake Corum, RB, Michigan* (77)
Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami (79)
Theo Johnson, TE, Penn State (80)
Jaylen Wright, RB, Tennessee (83)
Trevin Wallace, LB, Kentucky* (86)
Marshawn Lloyd, RB, USC (91)

archived article if you can't get into The Athletic: https://archive.ph/3yWa0

DT is a hole guys. Jon Allen is gonna be cut in the next 1- 2 years. Quinn plays 5 defenders on the Line of Scrimmage. So they need to be able to rotate guys in. And if you go BPA which most GMs do. this guy was the #1 DL prospect. He was Big 10 defensive player of the year. #1 ranked DL in the combine. I don't know crap about him or any other DL player this year. But to get a #1 position player at #36, that shows me they are forward thinking. And with Allen and Payne ... what have you done for me lately? Not sure much as we gave up runs up the middle game after game. Good GMs get the BPA. Fans like me look at positions and try to fill them. For what it's worth cbssports gave the pick an A+ (the only A+ they've given)

Last edited:
Lol, it looks like they started a DT run.

Judging by comments in the overall draft thread he's a good play. No dropoff in play when Payne and Allen are resting.

Just traded the 40th pick for 2 picks later in the round.

DT is a hole guys. Jon Allen is gonna be cut in the next 1- 2 years. Quinn plays 5 defenders on the Line of Scrimmage. So they need to be able to rotate guys in. And if you go BPA which most GMs do. this guy was the #1 DL prospect. He was Big 10 defensive player of the year. #1 ranked DL in the combine. I don't know crap about him or any other DL player this year. But to get a #1 position player at #36, that shows me they are forward thinking. And with Allen and Payne ... what have you done for me lately? Not sure much as we gave up runs up the middle game after game. Good GMs get the BPA. Fans like me look at positions and try to fill them. For what it's worth cbssports gave the pick an A+ (the only A+ they've given)
Thanks for posting this. I feel i need to be talked off a ledge lol.

Washington sends picks 40 and 78 to Philadelphia for picks 50, 53, 161.
And Philly gets the stud CB who could have helped us. I sure hope Peters knows what he's doing. Sorry for being negative but I can't really see what he's doing. Getting more picks...but will they be impactful players? I dunno
After getting the QB, I think he's trying to get the BPA regardless of position. This is how you build quality and depth all over the field. We may be shocked at some of his picks to come. I'll trust the process. I wouldn't expect him to come to my job and know more than me, anymore than I expect us to know more than him. If he had failed for a few years, then we ask questions. For now just enjoy that we are getting quality players even if many draft nerds that don't have jobs with actual teams say otherwise.

More about Newton from a site ...

Rating: 89.40 (High-level starter)
Summary
Jer'Zhan Newton is a polished, hand-work master at DT. He has plus athletic gifts and can threaten either shoulder of a guard or center on any rush; he’s not strictly an upfield rusher. He has a full pass-rush arsenal. He has legitimate counter ability and knows he has to be urgent with those counters. Goes swipe into a bull rush often and he’s effective with it. Rushes a bit higher than what's ideal. Good pop on contact, but not a certified people mover. Not incredibly explosive. Far from a slow plodder. His bull rush flashes were there, too; just not a trademark of his game. He’s a solid block-dispatcher and a quality run defender with good vision/awareness to locate RBs. If his rushes were lower, this would be a squeaky clean DT prospect. But altogether, he's quite the refined specimen on the inside.

And Philly gets the stud CB who could have helped us. I sure hope Peters knows what he's doing. Sorry for being negative but I can't really see what he's doing. Getting more picks...but will they be impactful players? I dunno
After getting the QB, I think he's trying to get the BPA regardless of position. This is how you build quality and depth all over the field. We may be shocked at some of his picks to come. I'll trust the process. I wouldn't expect him to come to my job and know more than me, anymore than I expect us to know more than him. If he had failed for a few years, then we ask questions. For now just enjoy that we are getting quality players even if many draft nerds that don't have jobs with actual teams say otherwise.
Oh come on man...us fans have a right to ***** and comment. This is a message board. Keep in mind I've been a fan since before Gibbs 1.0 and have stuck by the team all these years. Part of being a fan is caring about the team and bitching and having an opinion. I will always root for them. I don't really buy the whole "never have an opinion because you are not a GM" argument. 1. Sometimes teams do screw up and fans are right 2. NFL makes $ cuz passionate fans ***** and complain. It's not like I'll ever not root for them. But it's just an opinion just like fan opinion that we ignored offensive line last year and the fans were right!

PS just realized this may sound like I'm coming at u personally...sorry if it comes off that way...not intended. Cool?

From what I've read Coleman possesses the requisite length & can anchor. Has experience but isolated in space on the weak-side could be a tough ask. Still, good inside pass-protector.

Mike Sainristil, really nice pick. If we can grab Kingsley Suamataia next, I will be stoked.
From: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mike-sainristil/32005341-4962-4938-6c41-d09bb59ca3c5

Overview​

Reliable and tough with the athleticism and upside to keep getting better as a nickel corner. Sainristil is a former receiver who plays with surprising field awareness and attention to detail as a zone defender. He has the twitch and footwork to stay connected with routes in man coverage but needs more experience at the position to operate with better recognition and feel for the routes. He showed off top-notch ball skills with six interceptions (two for scores) in 2023 and has no problem stepping up and doing his part as a run defender. Sainristil isn't there yet but should keep improving and has a chance to become a starting nickel in time.

Strengths​

• Explosive athletic traits with above-average football demeanor.
  • Quick to digest and respond to play design from zone.
  • Twitchy takeoff from flat-foot coverage in off-man.
  • Former wideout who can turn back the clock and take it away.
  • Comes off the slot with well-timed blitzes.
  • Will lose some due to size but is a plus in run support.

Weaknesses​

• Has spent just two years as a cornerback and requires more seasoning.
  • Below-average pedal and match taking on release from press.
  • Needs to get head around to the throw sooner in man.
  • Gets manipulated by head-fakes and jukes inside the route.
  • Can be limited to drag-down tackling in run support.

This was such a terrible move.

Shutdown corner available and we send him to a division rival. And then watch 4 straight CBs go and by the time we get to 50, we're left picking a nickleback. And then with pick 53, we get a TE I like, but also, he would've still been on the board at 78 anyways.

Basically, this was a terrible move.

I just woke up, and Im glad I missed it, just when I thought Peters couldnt get any dumber, he goes adds another DT to the freaking collection. He better have a trade lined up for one of these DTs.

we finally got an OT. WOOOO HOOOO
He's a Guard.

The versatile offensive lineman started games for three seasons in Fort Worth, playing at guard and tackle for the Horned Frogs.

Coleman was invited to the Senior Bowl showcase and the NFL Combine, where he measured 6-foot-4, 313 lbs with a 4.99 second 40-yard dash, a vertical jump of 34” and a broad jump of 9.5 feet, registering the highest Athleticism Score among all offensive

And a WR on the last pick of the 3rd round:

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
The #Commanders end the draft’s second day by taking Rice WR Luke McCaffrey — Ed’s son, Christian’s brother — at No. 100 overall.

Users who are viewing this thread