What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers thread *** Schedule release May 15th - Rumor: 49ers will play Vikings in London in 2024 (8 Viewers)

Plus, the “fire Shanahan” crowd never tells you who they should hire in his place. Bunch of clowns
He is just prone to the simple mistake. No challenge on Eagles 4th down to Smith. No timeouts at the end of the first. The small details matter most in close games and he always seems to get slightly outdone.

I’d personally pay for his flight out of town if they could get Demeco Ryans, which they can’t. No reason to argue it. I know he isn’t going anywhere, I’m obviously in the goodbye Shanny camp, but I know it’s not happening.

It comes down to championships for me. I’d take 1 SB over the next 10 years without making the playoffs the other 9 versus 7 NFCC games, 3 SB, and no rings. That’s just me though.

It comes down to championships for me. I’d take 1 SB over the next 10 years without making the playoffs the other 9 versus 7 NFCC games, 3 SB, and no rings. That’s just me though.
Same. Our championship drought is embarrassing. The friggin Bucs have two Super Bowl wins since our last one. TWO!!

I met my wife 7 years ago and told her then that if SF wins a SB, I wouldn't care about another for a decade, and that still rings true. After going 30 years without one, I'd absolutely take one every 10 years or so with zero SB trips in between.

I get it when it’s championship or bust but KS is the right guy to get it for you guys. He’s a fantastic coach. I realize in close games you can nitpick a few spots but he didn’t do anything egregious. CMC touched the ball 30 times and his offense took the lead 4 different times. Not much else can be expected imo.

I get it when it’s championship or bust but KS is the right guy to get it for you guys. He’s a fantastic coach. I realize in close games you can nitpick a few spots but he didn’t do anything egregious. CMC touched the ball 30 times and his offense took the lead 4 different times. Not much else can be expected imo.
He’s 0-3 in the 3 Super Bowls and coughed up at least 10 point leads in all 3.

:lmao: As a Bay Area transplant I'm loving this, all year long all you hear is bang bang niner gang and this is the greatest team ever assembled which then rolled into it was all rigged and the NFL scripted the game hence the niners moving the ball in the first half and not the second. Gladly this board hasn't been like that but the reality is a lot of niner fans have grown spoiled since Shanahan and Lynch have built up this squad. Their biggest whiff was not grabbing Brady in 2020 but other than that this team was a play away from winning the Super Bowl yesterday.

Too many failed first down pass attempts putting them behind the sticks which resulted in stalled drives.

The first 2 drives in the 2nd half started with an incomplete pass and an 8 yard loss on a pass. Both drives were 3 and out. In fact, their first 3 drives in the 2nd half, all 3 and outs, had 8 passes and 1 run.

3 possessions squandered because Kyle failed to stick with the run. He seems to think Purdy is Josh Allen sometimes.

Last edited:

Wait, an offensive coordinator coughed up a 28 - 3 ? Was he being paid double as defensive coordinator too?
Plus a 10 point lead is nothing in the NFL anymore.

Shanalynch are signed at least through 2026, the Niners are universally viewed as one of the best run organizations and have a great player culture. Just look at how many coaches we lose each year. If the 49ers draft well, they will remain the most talented NFL roster and could extend their window beyond 2024. I wouldn’t be surprised if Purdy signs a team friendly contract, which would allow them to remain competitive in 2025 and beyond with a franchise QB who is only getting better. It’s a great team to cheer for, especially after the pre- and post-Harbaugh dark ages

Wait, an offensive coordinator coughed up a 28 - 3 ? Was he being paid double as defensive coordinator too?
Now don't go bringing reality and common sense into this discussion. We all know Shanahan was the head coach AND defensive coordinator for the Falcons. Dan Quinn was just a figurehead. Some say he was also behind Pete Carroll calling the slant pass at the 1 against the Pats, so let's call it 4 Super Bowls that he lost. That we know of. Could be even more if we do a deep dive. :popcorn:

Shanalynch are signed at least through 2026, the Niners are universally viewed as one of the best run organizations and have a great player culture. Just look at how many coaches we lose each year. If the 49ers draft well, they will remain the most talented NFL roster and could extend their window beyond 2024. I wouldn’t be surprised if Purdy signs a team friendly contract, which would allow them to remain competitive in 2025 and beyond with a franchise QB who is only getting better. It’s a great team to cheer for, especially after the pre- and post-Harbaugh dark ages
Shanahans latest extension runs through 2027.

I won't be surprised if they stay contenders the next few years, but I will be surprised if we win a Super Bowl.

Agree on the possibility that Purdy signs a team friendly deal, I posted something similar earlier this season.

CMC, Deebo and Kittle are under contract through 2025, and Aiyuk will get an extension this offseason. So 2 more seasons with that offensive core intact unless one gets traded before then. Of course Purdys contract can't be touched until after next season.

Warner is signed through 2026. Ward and Greenlaw through 2024. Bosa is locked for 3 more years.

Shanahan not knowing the overtime rules is inexcusable.

He should have let KC have the ball first so he would know what he's up against after their possession.

Just another terrible decision in another choke job by Shanahan. It's what he does.

Enjoy the offseason everyone.
I would've taken the ball 100%. If KC kicks FG on their drive then 49ers get the ball sudden death and only need a FG to win. That's a HUGE advantage.

Same. Our championship drought is embarrassing. The friggin Bucs have two Super Bowl wins since our last one. TWO!!

I met my wife 7 years ago and told her then that if SF wins a SB, I wouldn't care about another for a decade, and that still rings true. After going 30 years without one, I'd absolutely take one every 10 years or so with zero SB trips in between.
Utah, get me TWO!!

Now don't go bringing reality and common sense into this discussion. We all know Shanahan was the head coach AND defensive coordinator for the Falcons. Dan Quinn was just a figurehead. Some say he was also behind Pete Carroll calling the slant pass at the 1 against the Pats, so let's call it 4 Super Bowls that he lost. That we know of. Could be even more if we do a deep dive. :popcorn:
He’s ceded a 10 point lead to Reid twice in the SB. If we’re bringing common sense into the mix, wouldn’t it be that one coach made better adjustments? Reid is a great coach, so it’s not like he was outwitted by Mike Singletary, but common sense says he was outwitted by Reid, twice.

I use the Marv Levy comparison bc rn it seems to fit. A guy who could lead them to the edge, but couldn’t get them to the other side.

At some point a pattern becomes clear, 6 NFCC & SB combined and a .33 win percentage.

My only hope is Reid finally put it together in KC after countless failures in Philly.

I fear the window is shutting bc we’ve run CMC into the ground over the last 1.5 seasons and even though he’s basically Superman, all those touches take a toll. This offense needs CMC to operate at its peak.

No need for any insults, we can keep our disagreements civil.

I love Shanny.

Shanny didn't fumble the ball on their first possession.

Shanny didn't allow a Punt to hit his players foot.

Shanny lost 3 super Bowls to the two best QBs of all time. I wasn't crazy about the two 3rd and 4 calls. Thought they should've got Purdy moving in pocket. He made some mistakes but unfortunately you have to be perfect vs Mahomes. There's no other coach that will do better than him

He’s ceded a 10 point lead to Reid twice in the SB. If we’re bringing common sense into the mix, wouldn’t it be that one coach made better adjustments? Reid is a great coach, so it’s not like he was outwitted by Mike Singletary, but common sense says he was outwitted by Reid, twice.

I use the Marv Levy comparison bc rn it seems to fit. A guy who could lead them to the edge, but couldn’t get them to the other side.

At some point a pattern becomes clear, 6 NFCC & SB combined and a .33 win percentage.

My only hope is Reid finally put it together in KC after countless failures in Philly.

I fear the window is shutting bc we’ve run CMC into the ground over the last 1.5 seasons and even though he’s basically Superman, all those touches take a toll. This offense needs CMC to operate at its peak.

Or you could say Shanahan was better prepared at the beginning of the game and Reid just had a better QB situation and eventually prevailed.

Or you could say Shanahan was better prepared at the beginning of the game and Reid just had a better QB situation and eventually prevailed.
You don’t think any of it had something to do with Reid making better situational adjustments?

You don’t think any of it had something to do with Reid making better situational adjustments?
Honestly, not at all.

Agree 100%.

During that game yesterday we were yelling at the TV at some of Andy Reid’s calls. And if the niners convert one more play, they are champs today and KC fans are lamenting a lost opportunity.

Shanahan called a great game yesterday. That game was one hell of a chess match between two really good coaching staffs. Back and forth and adjustments both staffs made were outstanding.

Guys made plays. Guys made mistakes. Both teams absolutely played their hearts out and literally left everything out there. You could just see it.

Niners have a great team and organization. A great roster and great coach. You will be back and win one.

Honestly, not at all.
We’re just going to kindly disagree. Most talented team in the NFL imo. I’m of the opinion that if you have the most talented team and you’re a great coach, you should win a SB.

As a fan base, I think there is a clear divide here, I really hope the side I’m on eats crow, I just don’t see it.

Hypothetical: he’s still our coach in 2029, they’re competitive until then, but still no title, do you eventually capitulate?

Honestly, not at all.
We’re just going to kindly disagree. Most talented team in the NFL imo. I’m of the opinion that if you have the most talented team and you’re a great coach, you should win a SB.

As a fan base, I think there is a clear divide here, I really hope the side I’m on eats crow, I just don’t see it.

Hypothetical: he’s still our coach in 2029, they’re competitive until then, but still no title, do you eventually capitulate?
Respectfully I think there’s only a lunatic fringe out there calling for his job. If he continues to have this team regularly in contention to win playoff games and maybe more if given some breaks for the next 5 years, heck yes I’d sign up for more of that. Particularly since that span will necessarily include a rebuild/significant retooling.

I love Shanny.

Shanny didn't fumble the ball on their first possession.

Shanny didn't allow a Punt to hit his players foot.

Shanny lost 3 super Bowls to the two best QBs of all time. I wasn't crazy about the two 3rd and 4 calls. Thought they should've got Purdy moving in pocket. He made some mistakes but unfortunately you have to be perfect vs Mahomes. There's no other coach that will do better than him
don’t forget the blocked extra point

Huge whiff.

On the 49ers’ last play of the game, the key third down in OT:

You can see Aiyuk up top come wide open in the end zone, and Kittle leaking open over the middle. But the Niners had a communication error up front and didn’t block Chris Jones.

Burford was in because Feliciano got hurt, and he screwed the pooch on this play. Should have been an easy TD.

We need to resign Feliciano, he's been awesome.

Last edited:
Brandon Aiyuk's IG story:

"Remember what got you there 👀"

Aiyuks girlfriend in a TikTok video:

“This might have been the last time we touch foot at Levi’s Stadium, me and Braylen (their son) cause we might not be out here next season.”

Aiyuk's bro/bestie's IG story:

"Why does your all pro 1300 yard receiver have 3 catches in the Super Bowl?

This is the exact reason we leaving San Francisco.

Thank you 49ers for drafting my brother we are forever grateful.

BA to Vegas 🏴‍☠️"

Interesting.

Niners had a fantastic year and have so much reason for hope, Brandon Ayuik returning or nah. My smug RL Niner-fan friends make it hard to feel for you guys some/most times, but I absolutely do right now.

They say it's better to lose a close championship game than get blown out, but nope, not at all. Way worse to know you were a play or two away. Here's your consolation, Mahomes was never losing in winning time. The only way you were going to win was taking a big enough lead to milk. You never did, and one way or another the Boogie Man was coming. Dude's wife and brother and voice continue to overshadow the S on his chest. His defense kept him within striking distance and strike he did.

Sorry guys, but don't be rash. As a huge Purdy truther, he ain't Patty Mahomie. None of them are. Is. What. It. Is.

Se
Honestly, not at all.

Respectfully I think there’s only a lunatic fringe out there calling for his job. If he continues to have this team regularly in contention to win playoff games and maybe more if given some breaks for the next 5 years, heck yes I’d sign up for more of that. Particularly since that span will necessarily include a rebuild/significant retooling.

See dallas and mike mccarthy. I think there is a general consensus that he isn't a great coach (ask any packers fan) but every year his teams are borderline great

Honestly, not at all.

I wouldn’t call it a lunatic fringe. That would imply a very small amount. If I were to take an actual guess of 49ers’ fans that want him gone, I’d put that number in 30s percentage range. Fringe you’re implying single digits and I don’t believe that is the case.

"Multiple San Francisco players said after the game that they were not aware that the overtime rules are different in the playoffs than they are in the regular season, and strategy discussions over how to handle the overtime period did not occur as a team. Defensive lineman Arik Armstead said he learned the details of the postseason rule when it was shown on the Allegiant Stadium jumbotron during a TV timeout after regulation. Fullback Kyle Juszczyk said he assumed the 49ers asked to receive when they won the toss because that’s what you do in the regular season, when a touchdown wins the game. 'I guess that’s not the case. I don’t really know the strategy,' Juszczyk said."

First 6 offensive plays in the 2nd half… all passing plays. Offensive genius.
That was a frustrating sequence - I was hoping to see 45 rushing attempts from the 49ers in the game. More Mitchell and Juszczyk.
Repeat of the SB with Atlanta. Abandoning the run game. Even worse here since it’s their identity and also the weak spot of the KC defense.

Se
Honestly, not at all.

See dallas and mike mccarthy. I think there is a general consensus that he isn't a great coach (ask any packers fan) but every year his teams are borderline great
Cmon

Honestly, not at all.

I wouldn’t call it a lunatic fringe. That would imply a very small amount. If I were to take an actual guess of 49ers’ fans that want him gone, I’d put that number in 30s percentage range. Fringe you’re implying single digits and I don’t believe that is the case.
This position is way over represented in the online discourse.

Honestly, not at all.

This position is way over represented in the online discourse.
You really think it’s fringe to want him gone? Fringe being single digits…

I know it’s not going to happen, so I’m not going to put much care into it.

I would love Demeco Ryans though. He was an excellent DC and did excellent in Houston this year.

We have what, like 8-10 real posters who have been in here over the years? At least 3 (maybe more) of us want him gone. I get it, not statistically significant, but I think that’s prob not far off from overall real fan base general consensus.

6 straight passes to start the 3rd, guy can’t get out of his own way. Good coach, not great, can’t get over the hurdle.

It’s the same argument I made with playing Lance over Jimmy. Jimmy wasn’t Jamarcus Russell, but we knew what he was. I’m at the point where I take the unknown over the known in Shanny. If being competitive is the goal, fine Shanny is the guy. If winning a SB is the goal, I don’t see him as the solution.

"Multiple San Francisco players said after the game that they were not aware that the overtime rules are different in the playoffs than they are in the regular season, and strategy discussions over how to handle the overtime period did not occur as a team. Defensive lineman Arik Armstead said he learned the details of the postseason rule when it was shown on the Allegiant Stadium jumbotron during a TV timeout after regulation. Fullback Kyle Juszczyk said he assumed the 49ers asked to receive when they won the toss because that’s what you do in the regular season, when a touchdown wins the game. 'I guess that’s not the case. I don’t really know the strategy,' Juszczyk said."
So a few players are either stupid or don’t listen? Happens in every business. Football players aren’t immune to it. So far only two players that I’m aware of have said this. Most seemed to know the rules. Hardman caught the winning TD and apparently was surprised the game was over so my guess is he wasn’t the only Chief who didn’t know either. It didn’t impact the game result. Kyle gave a clear explanation of why he decided to take the ball first.

Just people talking for the sake of talking. Again.

So a few players are either stupid or don’t listen? Happens in every business. Football players aren’t immune to it. So far only two players that I’m aware of have said this. Most seemed to know the rules. Hardman caught the winning TD and apparently was surprised the game was over so my guess is he wasn’t the only Chief who didn’t know either. It didn’t impact the game result. Kyle gave a clear explanation of why he decided to take the ball first.

Defend the 6 straight passes to start the 2nd half.

We have what, like 8-10 real posters who have been in here over the years? At least 3 (maybe more) of us want him gone. I get it, not statistically significant, but I think that’s prob not far off from overall real fan base general consensus.

6 straight passes to start the 3rd, guy can’t get out of his own way. Good coach, not great, can’t get over the hurdle.

It’s the same argument I made with playing Lance over Jimmy. Jimmy wasn’t Jamarcus Russell, but we knew what he was. I’m at the point where I take the unknown over the known in Shanny. If being competitive is the goal, fine Shanny is the guy. If winning a SB is the goal, I don’t see him as the solution.
Well, in real life, I don’t know a single Niner fan seriously saying Shanahan should go. The lunatic fringe is without doubt over represented here.

The Demeco Ryan’s over Kyle as head coach is just foolish talk. I like him and all but no way in hell would any NFL team take him over Kyle.

1 of the 3 is seriously off his meds, and I'm going to give you and kface the benefit of still being emotional after the big loss.

This is my last post on the topic because you guys are being absolutely insane. Demeco Ryans was a pretty good DC who is benefitting from having drafted what appears to be a top 5 QB and the fact that a Shanahan acolyte is running his offense. Shanahan was a bad bounce of Luter's leg from winning a title. It sucks but these things happen. You need to be great + get a ton of breaks to win a super bowl.

1 of the 3 is seriously off his meds, and I'm going to give you and kface the benefit of still being emotional after the big loss.

This is my last post on the topic because you guys are being absolutely insane. Demeco Ryans was a pretty good DC who is benefitting from having drafted what appears to be a top 5 QB and the fact that a Shanahan acolyte is running his offense. Shanahan was a bad bounce of Luter's leg from winning a title. It sucks but these things happen. You need to be great + get a ton of breaks to win a super bowl.

How about this - you're insane and dumb. That about sums up your argument

Let's just spend the afternoon calling each other names.

2023 Dallas Cowboys Head Coach 12-5-0 0-1
2022 Dallas Cowboys Head Coach 12-5-0 1-1
2021 Dallas Cowboys Head Coach 12-5-0 0-1
2020 Dallas Cowboys Head Coach 6-10-0 0-0

That's Mike McCarthy's record and lots of people want him gone. Not just the 'lunatic fringe'

And I'm OK with being done with your insulting conversation.

Defend the 6 straight passes to start the 2nd half.
What does that have to do with a couple players not knowing the rules?

Obviously Kyle thought throwing would be effective. I was surprised too but I’m not part of the lunatic fringe that questions every strategy that doesn’t work. Why did Harbaugh throw 3 straight fades at the end of the Ravens game instead of handing the ball to Gore when the Ravens were missing their best run defender? Why did he do the exact same thing in the NFC championship game the next year and Seattle wins when they get a pick? Coaches call plays they think will work against a certain defense. You’re part of the “should have run the ball” and if the run didn’t work it’s “he should have passed the ball” group.

Last edited:

Utah, get me TWO!!
Now I want a meatball sandwich

You have to get there to win. Sucks they have lost the last 3, but all 3 were winnable games and that says a lot about the coaching ability of Harbaugh and Kyle to get them into that position. This one in particular hurt because of the muffed punt turning the game around. Only Chiefs TD in regulation was the short, 15 yard field.

That's Mike McCarthy's record and lots of people want him gone. Not just the 'lunatic fringe'

yep, those guys are exactly the same, especially their playoff records. For the record, I don’t think you are dumb at all, but this particular argument is crazy. None of the alternatives you’d propose to Shanahan would withstand 4% of the scrutiny you are applying to him.

People want McCarthy gone because he’s 1-3 in the playoffs and they got blown out by the 7th seed this year.

Just saying.

People act like Utah, who was a healthy-eating former athlete, was right to look down on his partner Angelo's order for two unhealthy sandwiches with red meat before lunch. But when Utah saw the bank robbery, he set off a chain of events that led to Angelo's much more immediate death. Give your partner his meatballs, you judgemental noob.

Utah, get me TWO!!
Now I want a meatball sandwich
I'm so hungry I could eat the ***-end out of a dead rhino.

yep, those guys are exactly the same, especially their playoff records. For the record, I don’t think you are dumb at all, but this particular argument is crazy. None of the alternatives you’d propose to Shanahan would withstand 4% of the scrutiny you are applying to him.

So just to be clear McCarthy should go because he can't win in the playoffs but because KS can win a little in the playoffs that conversation is insane?

I'm not disagreeing with your belief at all nor do I think it's insane.

I think there is a lot of evidence within KS's long-term record that he can't handle the pressure and chokes but that's just me.

KS really going to have to prove himself in 2 years when the talent on this team is substantially reduced.

Users who are viewing this thread