What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers *** gain $17 million in cap space due to Armsteads departure and are now $25 million under the cap (9 Viewers)

I know nobody is going to like to hear someone say this, but I think it’s possible we destroy Detroit. I was extremely nervous about GB, even with no Deebo, I’m pretty confident in this one.

They played a very competitive game against a decent Rams team and beat up on a really bad Bucs team. I think they’re flying high and Sunday is the reality check.

ETA: and I think SF comes out playing their top ball of the season.
I think SF wins comfortably, but Purdy and the defense have been inconsistent enough this year where I really don't feel like I know what I'm going to get from them.
I disagree here. They’ve been very consistent. Two long stretches of top notch ball and two shorter stretches of mediocre ball. I’m hopeful and somewhat confident the GB nail biter was a kick in the ***.

I know nobody is going to like to hear someone say this, but I think it’s possible we destroy Detroit. I was extremely nervous about GB, even with no Deebo, I’m pretty confident in this one.

They played a very competitive game against a decent Rams team and beat up on a really bad Bucs team. I think they’re flying high and Sunday is the reality check.

I think SF wins comfortably, but Purdy and the defense have been inconsistent enough this year where I really don't feel like I know what I'm going to get from them.
I disagree here. They’ve been very consistent. Two long stretches of top notch ball and two shorter stretches of mediocre ball. I’m hopeful and somewhat confident the GB nail biter was a kick in the ***.
Purdy has been dog crap 2 of his last 3 starts - I'm thinking he'll bounce back but I've seen enough Bad Purdy now to be a little nervous.

Purdy has been dog crap 2 of his last 3 starts - I'm thinking he'll bounce back but I've seen enough Bad Purdy now to be a little nervous.
Watch the link I just posted, should ease your nerves. Kid has ice in the veins when it’s all on the line, even after playing poorly in crap conditions.

ETA: and without Deebo

And I’d like to see more Lenoire and less Thomas in this game.
I think the problem is they both have to play. Lenoir has been awesome.

They need to get Logan Ryan out and put Brown back in at safety. Ryan got roasted a few times, and was the main culprit on that 50 yard Jones run. If Brown's healthy, they have to give him some burn. Shanahan's explanation that they felt more comfortable with a street FA than their prized rookie was puzzling.

Watch the link I just posted, should ease your nerves. Kid has ice in the veins when it’s all on the line, even after playing poorly in crap conditions.

I've watched that drive multiple times, it was great. I also rewatched him sail the ball all over the place for most of the game. He looked like early Alex Smith for stretches.

I've watched that drive multiple times, it was great. I also rewatched him sail the ball all over the place for most of the game. He looked like early Alex Smith for stretches.
Think the conditions were partially responsible for that, no? The fact that he played so poorly, yet threw nothing but perfect balls when it mattered most, doesn’t that boost your confidence?

Think the conditions were partially responsible for that, no? The fact that he played so poorly, yet threw nothing but perfect balls when it mattered most, doesn’t that boost your confidence?
Like I said, I expect we'll see the Purdy that was in MVP consideration most of the year next week in what looks like dry weather, at home against what has generally been a pretty weak defense. Do I have total confidence that we won't get the Baltimore/first 45 minutes of Green Bay version of Purdy? No.

Shanahan needs ro stop trying to win on Purdys arm. The sure way to a win is to run the hell out of the ball, control the clock, keep Detroits offense off the field, and defensively get 3rd down stops. Purdy doesn't need to throw it more than 20-25 times.

Kyle, you got CMC for a reason. Only 2 possible games left. Feed him early and often, all day. 30+ rushes = win every time this season.

Yes it's possible, perhaps likely even. But this Lions team is pretty good. If good Goff shows up along with bad Purdy, it could be Detroit dishing out the beat down.

The Purdy situation has everything to do with where he was drafted. If he had been the number one overall prospect/pick, everyone would be saying don’t worry. He’s young and has shown enough flashes of greatness.

Because he was Mr. Irrelevant, he doesn’t get that benefit of the doubt. I feel like a lot of people are just waiting for the clock to strike midnight and this dream situation of his to come crashing down. I don’t think this will change yet even if they win the Super Bowl

Because he was Mr. Irrelevant, he doesn’t get that benefit of the doubt. I feel like a lot of people are just waiting for the clock to strike midnight and this dream situation of his to come crashing down. I don’t think this will change yet even if they win the Super Bowl
IMO, if that GB drive doesn’t silence the doubters, nothing will. Tom Brady couldn’t have led a better drive. And that’s not me saying he’s TB, that’s just saying, if it was TB, would be another chapter in greatness. I’m hopeful with Brock, it’s in his first chapter. That drive was magic, and without Deebo nonetheless!

Last edited:
The Purdy situation has everything to do with where he was drafted. If he had been the number one overall prospect/pick, everyone would be saying don’t worry. He’s young and has shown enough flashes of greatness.

Pretty spot on.

I laugh whenever people say the league will catch up to him. I think the opposite. Will get even better with experience. Will he have bad games along the way? Sure but they will be amplified because of his draft position.

Shanahan needs ro stop trying to win on Purdys arm. The sure way to a win is to run the hell out of the ball, control the clock, keep Detroits offense off the field, and defensively get 3rd down stops. Purdy doesn't need to throw it more than 20-25 times.

Kyle, you got CMC for a reason. Only 2 possible games left. Feed him early and often, all day. 30+ rushes = win every time this season.
I dunno, this might be the week to win with Purdy. IMO, my Lions are a Super Bowl-caliber team everywhere except the secondary, where they're barely an NFL-caliber team. They're 31st in the NFL in pass Y/A allowed. You gotta exploit that.

I dunno, this might be the week to win with Purdy. IMO, my Lions are a Super Bowl-caliber team everywhere except the secondary, where they're barely an NFL-caliber team. They're 31st in the NFL in pass Y/A allowed. You gotta exploit that.
Rashad White looked good running the ball Sunday so 49ers should be able to have a balanced attack, which is when they are at their best. Like to see around 30 passes or so.

I did not know that. That’s pretty alarming.

Still favored to win the Super Bowl, including being an implied favorite against Baltimore if that ends up being the matchup.

Super Bowl lookahead lines have SF as 1.5 point favs against Baltimore (and -3 against the Chiefs). Depends on what happens this weekend but barring something crazy, feels like that line would almost certainly swing towards Baltimore if that ends up being the matchup, having just crushed the Niners a few weeks ago and their relative performances this past weekend. So much public money would pour in on the Ravens getting points.

That will be a bad game plan. Detroit’s run d is very good and their pass d is very mediocre.

All the praise the Niners have been getting along with the three week bye made them a little soft and rusty last week. They are now getting trashed in the press, which brings out that dog mentality. The GB game also reminded them how much it sucks to lose in the playoffs. Hopefully the combination of the two will spark a fire and they play up to their talent level

That will be a bad game plan. Detroit’s run d is very good and their pass d is very mediocre.
R White and K Williams both looked good against them, I can only imagine what CMC would do.

Im sure Shanahan won't run it enough, so it doesn't matter.

Coach Kyle Shanahan said Monday afternoon that imaging did not show another break in Samuel's shoulder, which at least leaves the door open for him to return this week.

"It wasn't broken, so that was a real good sign," Shanahan said. "But it's still hurting too much for us to really have an idea how he will heal up this week. So, we've just got to be patient, see how he feels on Wednesday, and based on if it's improving it will give us a better idea whether he has a chance for the game or not."

My gut tells me it’ll either be a 49ers blowout or a DET win.

I don’t see a scenario where anything else happens, barring injury or a bad bounce (knock on wood)

And I completely agree - there’s so much national media trashing of this 49ers D. Just filling up that bulletin board with material for a hungry defense against a relatively immobile QB.

Fun fact: Goff had 12 picks this year. 9 of them were on the road.

Expected to be 66° & sunny. LFG!

Even more reason to establish the run. Hit em where it hurts. If the Niners can run on DET, they will blow them out.

I get what you’re saying, but I think it’s all the more reason to do it. There will be plenty of passing, but to do it effectively you’ve gotta get em on their heels.

Prior to that he was the leader in the MVP race, so maybe a mile high view would help.

Rashad White looked good running the ball Sunday so 49ers should be able to have a balanced attack, which is when they are at their best. Like to see around 30 passes or so.
Honestly I didn’t see anything on Sunday to really worry me about DET’s defense.

Tampa has good skill players. IMO SF’s are better, especially if Deebo is active. Evans is a stud, but CMC > White, Aiyuk > what seems to be a dinged up Godwin, Deebo has no comp, Jennings > whatever the Bucs are running out at WR4. And I’m still not a believer in Baker Mayfield.

And the Lions let Baker Mayfield nearly come back from 2 scores down. White had a good game (while hurt and in & out of the lineup) and they let Mike Evans get open at will deep at the worst possible time.

DET’s offense isn’t the same on the road / outdoors, and Goff has a propensity to throw picks more than any of the remaining playoff QBs.

Hoping for a good game, but a lot of signs point to a SF win.

Of course nationally everyone is rooting for the Lions. If it weren’t the 49ers I would be too. They’re a good story and fun to root for.

IMO, if that GB drive doesn’t silence the doubters, nothing will. Tom Brady couldn’t have led a better drive. And that’s not me saying he’s TB, that’s just saying, if it was TB, would be another chapter in greatness. I’m hopeful with Brock, it’s in his first chapter. That drive was magic, and without Deebo nonetheless!
Actually the comparison to Brady is good in this context. If you recall Brady’s first Super Bowl, he mostly did nothing all game (actually that was the case the entire playoffs) but had the big clutch drive at the end of the game. Some guys just have “it” and others are Dak Prescott.

I don’t see a scenario where anything else happens, barring injury or a bad bounce (knock on wood)
So it’s either a blowout win or a loss? No scenario where they win by say, 7 points? lol

You’re an excellent poster but can’t say I get this take

I think a 10 point win is in the cards. Home field advantage against a dome team is pretty big. Hope Deebo is ready to go.

Last edited:

So it’s either a blowout win or a loss? No scenario where they win by say, 7 points? lol

I think a 10 point win is in the cards. Home field advantage against a dome team is pretty big. Hope Deebo is ready to go.
I consider 10 points a blowout in the playoffs. Perhaps I came off hyperbolic. I didn’t mean to imply they’d win by 30.

Something like 31-17, or 27-16 sounds about right.

ETA: I laid the -7, so my money is where my mouf is. ;)

I consider 10 points a blowout in the playoffs. Perhaps I came off hyperbolic. I didn’t mean to imply they’d win by 30.

Something like 31-17, or 27-16 sounds about right.

ETA: I laid the -7, so my money is where my mouf is. ;)
Good luck on the bets

Dang, You're the owner of the Lions? Nic to meet you!

Brian Griese and Klint Kubiak interviewed for the Saints offensive coordinator position.

I hope Griese stays, he's been great for Purdy

Brian Griese and Klint Kubiak interviewed for the Saints offensive coordinator position.

I hope Griese stays, he's been great for Purdy
I hope they both stay - it'd be nice to have an offseason without another huge wave of departures and brain drain. Shanahan is obviously the mastermind but we've seen examples around the league of successful organizations struggling to replace talent.

Larry Kreuger may be my spirit animal with This tweet:

There has been a lot of talk this week about 49ers’ QB Brock Purdy’s ability after he struggled Saturday vs GB, but I have to really question Kyle Shanahan’s game plan vs the Packers. Why have Purdy throw it a career high 39 times in the rain?

-He struggled w/the wet ball in Cleveland earlier in the year.

-Green Bay’s defense was ranked 28th vs the run and 9th vs the pass.

-Deebo went out of the game early, so you were w/o 1 of your top WRs

-Your OL is better at run blocking than pass protection.

-Your TE, George Kittle, is the best run blocking TE in the NFL.

-The game was close, a 1-point margin at half, and your largest deficit at any point was 7pts (so no need to throw so much)

-your #1 RB, CMC, led the NFL in rushing, is a MVP candidate and avg 5.8 ypc in this game.

-GB’s DL had 3 players who had at least 7.5 sacks each, had produced 4 sacks, 9 QB hits and had pressured Dallas into 2 INTs the week prior.

- Kyle gets pass happy at times. RUN THE BALL!

It ain't rocket science. I get that Detroit is weaker against the pass than the run, but for the love of everything that is holy, run the damn ball, control the clock/tempo, and pick your shots in the pass game.

This Lions fan is just popping into your little thread to say good luck Sunday 🥃
This is weird. A fan of the opposing team is in our thread, and I don't feel I need to attack or defend.

I'd say good luck to you too, but I definitely wouldn't mean it. I mean, I hope you win a scratch off or something, but I also hope the Lions lose.

Cheers!

This Lions fan is just popping into your little thread to say good luck Sunday 🥃
I want more than anything for the Niners to win this weekend. But I will be rooting hard in the Super Bowl for whichever one of these two teams is representing the NFC. If this isn’t our year, I really hope it’s yours.
This. If it's not SF, I hope it's DET.

I want more than anything for the Niners to win this weekend. But I will be rooting hard in the Super Bowl for whichever one of these two teams is representing the NFC. If this isn’t our year, I really hope it’s yours.
if they lose this weekend, I prob don’t watch the SB.

I'll watch it but really won't care who wins. Well, I'll root against KC if they are in it.

I'll watch it but really won't care who wins. Well, I'll root against KC if they are in it.
Yep

Absolutely loving the massive disrespect for Brock, the offense without Deebo, and the defense I’m reading everywhere. Give them that chip on the shoulder please!

Users who are viewing this thread