What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Speaker wiring help -- Stereoguys? (1 Viewer)

gianmarco

Footballguy
Trying to figure out how to connect this correctly.  Recently moved into a home that has things wired already.  In the backyard, there are 2 outdoor speakers.  One of them was no good anymore as the wires were destroyed and the speaker filled with insects.  I've since removed that speaker and have a new one that I want to connect.  However, I'm confused how to get this done.  Here is how things are currently wired/configured.

The source for these speakers is a Sonos Connect.  It has 4 separate wire connections -- 2 pairs of red/black connections, pretty standard.  There are 2 wires that feed into these.  Wire #1 is a 4 wire stereo cable with red/black/white/green.  Wire #2 has just black/white wires.

Wire 1 has the red wire going to a red connection #1.  Same wire has the black wire going to the black connection next to it (#2).  Then, the next red connection has the white wire from wire #2.  The last black connection has the green wire from wire #1.  Finally, the white wire from wire #1 is capped with black wire from wire #2.

Outside, the speaker that wasn't working has 2 wires coming from the ground.  However, both wires have 4 wires within (black/red/white/green).  I believe one of these is coming from inside the house where the Sonos is and is the 4-wire cable that is connected.  I believe the 2nd wire I'm seeing is the one that feeds the 2nd outside speaker.  No idea where the wire from inside the house that only has black/white goes. 

Those 2 wires outside were connected as follows:  The two green wires are capped together.  Then the red wire from one is capped to the black wire from the other.  With this configuration, music plays from speaker #2.  I've tried every combination to connect speaker #1 (the new speaker) with the remaining wires and can't get it to work.

I did disconnect the current configuration and have the red from the wire coming from the home connected to the red from the new speaker and then the green from the same wire connected to the black from the new speaker and music plays from speaker #1 (new speaker). 

I have no idea how to get both speakers to work outside.  I'm assuming there's a certain way to wire it so that the signal is received by both speaker #1 and then continued on to speaker #2 but my searching skills can't find out how that goes.  Also, of note, the way it was configured, I could hear music except the main vocals weren't coming through for some reason from speaker #2.  With it rewired to speaker #1 as I described above, music is the way it's supposed to be with full vocals, etc. 

Any guidance on how to proceed?

Last edited by a moderator:
You either had some moron bi-wire outdoor speakers or run a left/right and you just need to ID which is which.  I'm afraid it's bi-wired though based on what you are saying about only some tones coming out of certain speakers.

Disconnect the white wire from wire #1 and tie it into the black connection via the green wire from wire #2. Next, see if you can splice the black/white only wire and feed it into the back of the new speaker, provided that speaker #2 is also receiving a signal. Using a process of elimination (starting with the red wire first out of the red/black/white/green stereo cable) you will be able to find which wire the main vocals are coming from. If it's not the red wire, try the black, then try the white, green, etc. Are you using Dolby? If so, you might need to buy an adapter at Circuit City (don't worry these are only about $5 apiece), but you will need to decide which color you will need. I would suggest black, although I have a buddy that uses a combination of red/white green. And I do NOT suggest wireless, as whomever wired the system originally clearly knew what she was doing and if you can't figure that out well then all I can say is good luck.

Disconnect the white wire from wire #1 and tie it into the black connection via the green wire from wire #2. Next, see if you can splice the black/white only wire and feed it into the back of the new speaker, provided that speaker #2 is also receiving a signal. Using a process of elimination (starting with the red wire first out of the red/black/white/green stereo cable) you will be able to find which wire the main vocals are coming from. If it's not the red wire, try the black, then try the white, green, etc. Are you using Dolby? If so, you might need to buy an adapter at Circuit City (don't worry these are only about $5 apiece), but you will need to decide which color you will need. I would suggest black, although I have a buddy that uses a combination of red/white green. And I do NOT suggest wireless, as whomever wired the system originally clearly knew what she was doing and if you can't figure that out well then all I can say is good luck.
The Sonos Connect is in my basement, probably about 100 feet from where the speakers are outside. The wires from the Sonos go up into the ceiling and disappear. The wires outside are actually coming out of the ground in the back of my backyard. I can't really trace any wires.

The Sonos Connect is in my basement, probably about 100 feet from where the speakers are outside. The wires from the Sonos go up into the ceiling and disappear. The wires outside are actually coming out of the ground in the back of my backyard. I can't really trace any wires.
You may need a tone generator and inductive amp probe if you have to trace them. You can put a tone on one single wire and then probe for that tone on the other end. Here's a cheap set.

https://smile.amazon.com/Proster-Multifunctional-Ethernet-Cable,Telephone-Continuity/dp/B07DWQ5XWY/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?keywords=toner+generator+inductive+amp&qid=1577581198&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Users who are viewing this thread