What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sportsmanship versus gamesmanship? (1 Viewer)

Max55

Footballguy
Thoughts on picking up players you don’t need to block your opponent?

Real example - my opponent this week picked up 2 defenses last night to bring his total to 3 defenses. My assumption is that was only done to keep me away from those defenses.

Now the same opponent is down a starting QB in a superflex and I can light it up having priority to pick up several of the low end QB options available (Tyrod Taylor, Stidham, Rudolph, etc.)

Your thoughts if any?

I think it's perfectly fine and common sense to block an opponent where you can. I'm in a SF championship starting the combined might of Flacco and Levis with not much FAAB left, opponent spent all his on Tyrod and Brissett even though he won't be starting them. Good luck to him I would do the same if the situation was reversed

I think as long as you don't pick them up and then drop them, totally fair.
Exactly. Don't pick up Stidham, drop him for Rudolph and drop him for Heinecki etc. to churn the waivers and make them all unavailable. But if you have three slots available and pick up those three and hold them it's fine.
Sleeper wouldnt allow the churn anyway. A player that gets dropped within a few days of being picked up is not subject to waivers again.

Yeah. I have been picking up players to block others all year long.

OH SO RHAMONDRE IS OUT?

I'll take Zeke, don't mind if I do.

But yeah, to what someone said above, picking to drop to block due to waivers/waiting periods is neither gamesmanship nor sportsmanship. Finding flaws/loopholes in the system to benefit is lame and I would probably look to boot such types out of any leagues I am in. The whole "Its not illegal, therefore its not wrong" approach always sours me.

I think as long as you don't pick them up and then drop them, totally fair.
Exactly. Don't pick up Stidham, drop him for Rudolph and drop him for Heinecki etc. to churn the waivers and make them all unavailable. But if you have three slots available and pick up those three and hold them it's fine.
Sleeper wouldnt allow the churn anyway. A player that gets dropped within a few days of being picked up is not subject to waivers again.
I don’t think that’s necessarily true regarding Sleeper - depends on your league’s settings. We have a 24 hour wait period to pick up dropped players.

With regard to the issue at hand, what he said

Yeah, I'm fine with it. I do it. You play to win. The other guy failing to prepare is on him.

Preparation is a HUGE part of this game. I've been in tight games where my opponent has one of the MNF QB's that is questioinable. I'll pick up that backup or other starting QB or both if I have the roster space. Should have thought about it ahead of time.

If it was not for me blocking my opponent I wouldn't be in the finals.

Opponent had J. Jacobs in his lineup. Ruled out. I picked up three different players that he could use as options. He ended up picking up MVS...

...who proceeded to score 0 points.

I won by less than 3 points.

All's fair in love, war, and fantasy.

Yeah, I'm fine with it. I do it. You play to win. The other guy failing to prepare is on him.

Preparation is a HUGE part of this game. I've been in tight games where my opponent has one of the MNF QB's that is questioinable. I'll pick up that backup or other starting QB or both if I have the roster space. Should have thought about it ahead of time.
I fully agree with this. There is more than enough luck involved in our cherished hobby - anything you can do prep-/skill wise to help your chances (within the confine of the rules) seems reasonable.

I view the art of blocking as a strategy.

More strategy=a more rewarding experience.

Won a championship last year blocking two teams from a QB in the final 4.

Have had teams put blocks on me and my typical thought process in my head is I both hate it and respect it at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread