What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Survivor Season 46 - Episode Nine - They Can Cancel Christmas! (1 Viewer)

Man, what a sorry tribe. Q was not clutch at all, and I can't believe he ever gave up his spot for tossing the bags considering the other options on the team (although Tiff appeared to be better). I loved Bhanu's energy in episode 1 but could see how it could be annoying. Well episode 2 he showed what he was about and this episode sealed it. Much like Jess, as much as he doesn't want to think so, he needs to go for his emotional health. He was rejoicing that someone else's tragedy was his "miracle".

Interesting question from @yak651 . I'm quite sure he still does not have a vote since they didn't go to tribal.

Got to see more of Jem this week and I think she really shined. Smartly didn't share her advantage with any/everyone. Feel terrible for Randen, who seemed like a solid player. I hope they invite him back.

Hunter showed out this week, and Ben continued with the good vibes. Venus a clear villain this season. Was more upset that Randen went home with an advantage than for his loss. Randen to Venus: I don't understand your perspective, help me see your point of view, I'd love to know your perspective. Venus: My perspective is I'm not blind. Totally disrespectful.
I want to like her, but responses like that shows an immaturity, feelings of superiority, etc. He was being patient and understanding, and she was dismissive.

Man, what a sorry tribe. Q was not clutch at all, and I can't believe he ever gave up his spot for tossing the bags considering the other options on the team (although Tiff appeared to be better). I loved Bhanu's energy in episode 1 but could see how it could be annoying. Well episode 2 he showed what he was about and this episode sealed it. Much like Jess, as much as he doesn't want to think so, he needs to go for his emotional health. He was rejoicing that someone else's tragedy was his "miracle".

Interesting question from @yak651 . I'm quite sure he still does not have a vote since they didn't go to tribal.

Got to see more of Jem this week and I think she really shined. Smartly didn't share her advantage with any/everyone. Feel terrible for Randen, who seemed like a solid player. I hope they invite him back.

Hunter showed out this week, and Ben continued with the good vibes. Venus a clear villain this season. Was more upset that Randen wenteat home with an advantage than for his loss. Randen to Venus: I don't understand your perspective, help me see your point of view, I'd love to know your perspective. Venus: My perspective is I'm not blind. Totally disrespectful.
I want to like her, but responses like that shows an immaturity, feelings of superiority, etc. He was being patient and understanding, and she was dismissive.
Probably was to dismissive but was she wrong about Hunter? Starts out she has her eye on Hunter as a threat, the episode shows how strong Hunter is a threat to her game and ends with how Raden leaving affects her game. She's a mess but has endgame player edit.

Normally I watch US survivor weekly, then satisfy my itch between seasons by binging the international versions. That way I can stay caught up with the online chatter, the podcasts, etc. But this may be my last season of it. It's not worth waiting for episodes that aren't that good. I might start binging US survivor when it's done and just rotating it in with AU, SA, UK, etc.

I cannot recall a season I dislike this many characters. The only player of any substance is the guy who made the bed and killed it in the challenges. I think watching Australian Survivor is killing the US version for me.
You and just about everybody on the Survivor subreddit, which has gotten unreadable because most posts seem to be a variation of "Australian Survivor is better!"

In his exit interviews, Randen said he thought he could have banded together himself, Venus, Hunter and Liz to vote out Soda. He implied Hunter/Tevin/Soda are not a three-person alliance, rather that Hunter/Tevin is a pair and Tevin/Soda is a pair. Could be wishful thinking, but we'll never know. He also said him complaining about Venus to Soda was "a test" to see if Soda would blab, and she "failed."

He also said he wanted to hand off his advantage to Venus but wasn't able to. On his podcast, Jeff said that once you have been told you are being pulled from the game, you can't give your advantage(s) to anyone. You have to do it before you are told you are being pulled.

Hunter showed out this week, and Ben continued with the good vibes. Venus a clear villain this season. Was more upset that Randen wenteat home with an advantage than for his loss. Randen to Venus: I don't understand your perspective, help me see your point of view, I'd love to know your perspective. Venus: My perspective is I'm not blind. Totally disrespectful.
Probably was to dismissive but was she wrong about Hunter? Starts out she has her eye on Hunter as a threat, the episode shows how strong Hunter is a threat to her game and ends with how Raden leaving affects her game. She's a mess but has endgame player edit.
That's exactly what I said to my wife. She is correct to fear him as a threat. She just needed to explain it to Randen.

I cannot recall a season I dislike this many characters. The only player of any substance is the guy who made the bed and killed it in the challenges. I think watching Australian Survivor is killing the US version for me.
You and just about everybody on the Survivor subreddit, which has gotten unreadable because most posts seem to be a variation of "Australian Survivor is better!"
Sorry, I hate being negative about anything. Like others, I’m a huge fan and watched every season. It just seems so odd how far they seemed to have moved away from the original vision of the show. These international versions seem more aligned with the original vision.

Bhanu: "My tribe says I'm too emotional and not strategic. "

Also Bhanu:
:cry: "So Kenzie is running the whole show at Vanu. No need to tell me anything about your tribes."
that was the only time I liked him. He was 99% sure he was going home so BURN IT DOWN!!!! :devil:

She wasn't wrong about Hunter, but was pretty terrible to a friend/alliance partner in Randen.

They have focused on her a lot. I think she is going to need a tribe mix up pretty quickly to make it past the merge (which I think will happen because of how much time they've devoted to her).

Sucks that Randen goes home especially in that way.

Venus seems to be edited with no chance to win which is too bad. One of the few actually strategic people.

Q is smart. Although man telling Bhanu to his face that he can be your Phillip?!?! That's quite a gamble. I guess he trusts his read on the guy because if someone said that to me I would be like well guess who I'm turning on as soon as I'm able to lol. I actually like Q, Tiff, and Kenzie, but Q's plan was a really good one.

I kind of hate the 3-tribe thing and want them to try 2 tribes again and see what happens. Would also make it easier to do a reward and an immunity per episode and still get a good volume of camp life and strategy and tribal.

Dislike-o-meter:
1. Bhanu
2. Soda
3. Liz
4. nobody else is even remotely close

Hope they stay a long time-o-meter:
1. Q
2. Maria
3. Tiff
4. Venus
5. Hunter

Sorry, I hate being negative about anything. Like others, I’m a huge fan and watched every season. It just seems so odd how far they seemed to have moved away from the original vision of the show. These international versions seem more aligned with the original vision.
Well, yeah. It started out as Mark Burnett's show and now it's Jeff Probst's show. It's clear they have very different ideas about what makes for good TV.

Sucks that Randen goes home especially in that way.

Venus seems to be edited with no chance to win which is too bad. One of the few actually strategic people.

Q is smart. Although man telling Bhanu to his face that he can be your Phillip?!?! That's quite a gamble. I guess he trusts his read on the guy because if someone said that to me I would be like well guess who I'm turning on as soon as I'm able to lol. I actually like Q, Tiff, and Kenzie, but Q's plan was a really good one.

I kind of hate the 3-tribe thing and want them to try 2 tribes again and see what happens. Would also make it easier to do a reward and an immunity per episode and still get a good volume of camp life and strategy and tribal.

Dislike-o-meter:
1. Bhanu
2. Soda
3. Liz
4. nobody else is even remotely close

Hope they stay a long time-o-meter:
1. Q
2. Maria
3. Tiff
4. Venus
5. Hunter
We haven't seen much of the green tribe so we don't really know who from there is strategic and who isn't.

Bhanu not objecting when someone calls him Phillip Shepard to his face tells you everything you need to know about what kind of player he is.

Probst is totally hooked on the 3-tribe thing and it's annoying. I think they're keeping it out of laziness, er, one less thing the crew has to change up. And for whatever reason he's hung up on having as few people in tribal as possible -- this is why we are constantly seeing things like the fake merge setup and the split "tribes" after the merge. I don't know if it's because he doesn't think the audience is capable of following large tribals anymore, or if there's other reasons, but it gives the players a lot less flexibility, which is not good in my eyes.

She wasn't wrong about Hunter, but was pretty terrible to a friend/alliance partner in Randen.

They have focused on her a lot. I think she is going to need a tribe mix up pretty quickly to make it past the merge (which I think will happen because of how much time they've devoted to her).
When was she terrible to Raden? In a confessional answering a question about how Raden leaving effected her game? You're being a little hard on her.

The focus has been weird the last few seasons because there has been a bad challenge tribe a lot. We saw so much of that yellow tribe last season with Caleb and Emily and yet neither one of them made it to the final 6. I think Yanu is similar this year and so a person like Venus can also be a focus even if she doesn’t last long. It’s like they think viewers like to see the people so out of touch and create villains or maybe they hope they’ll see another Emily who completely changes during the show.

Surprised there isn’t much venom for Tevin.incredibly unlikeable to me.
I don't think enough screen time yet for me to have a strong strong take. But I can see him making the dislike list as soon as he's more prominent lol. At the same time at least he's talking strategy and trying to play the game. So far hasn't come off as too annoying, and he was funny on the journey.

I don't think enough screen time yet for me to have a strong strong take. But I can see him making the dislike list as soon as he's more prominent lol. At the same time at least he's talking strategy and trying to play the game. So far hasn't come off as too annoying, and he was funny on the journey.

I had already decided that I didn't like him, but watch him when Randen says he's concerned about his injury. Couldn't GAF. Feigned interest then kept basket weaving. He strikes me as the type that yearns for the spotlight and everyone else can GFT.

ETA that this will either make him a big target when things start breaking...or the champion.

When was she terrible to Raden? In a confessional answering a question about how Raden leaving effected her game? You're being a little hard on her.
Not in the confessional, it's the part of my quote that Chaz highlighted. Her friend told her in a very mature way "Help me understand your POV" and she completely spoke down to him and demeaned him with the "I'm not blind" quote.

I feel the same way about the Soda hate. It may turn and she could be revealed to be bossy or whatever, but so far I don't mind what I see.

For Tevin, I could totally see him getting slippery and sneaky, but so far I like his game.

Playing with someone like Bhanu would be just to exhausting to not vote off
It's stunning that Jelinsky and Jess were such messes that they couldn't outlast him.

Bhanu seemed ok in the first episode (sliding into the majority alliance when KQT lost trust in Jelinsky) until tribal council, but he's been in a downward spiral since then.
Yep. Seems like a decent dude. Just waaaay to emotional. He just can't handle the mental strain of this game. It's tough.

It's stunning that Jelinsky and Jess were such messes that they couldn't outlast him.

Bhanu seemed ok in the first episode (sliding into the majority alliance when KQT lost trust in Jelinsky) until tribal council, but he's been in a downward spiral since then.
I think KQT had an embarrassment of riches regarding who to vote out. Jelinsky sealed his fate with Q when he quit during the water hauling challenge. So Q decided he had to go. Then they seemed to settle on Jess because she was the physically weakest player.
Q said he was keeping Bhanu around because he was loyal and would vote the way Q told him. Then they saw Bhanu had no filter at tribal council and just said whatever came into his mind.

I think if you put Jelinsky, Jess and Bhanu on another tribe they wouldn't be voted out in the same order they appear to be headed on this tribe.

The strategy of who to vote out seems to be all over the place with the KQT alliance.

Bhanu is one of those interesting players who has watched Survivor but is shocked at some elements of the game play. "You mean I shouldn't be 100% truthful with Jeff at TC?" , etc.

It reminds me of someone watching golf on TV and thinking it looks so easy. Then they are out swinging clubs and can't believe how much complexity there is in the game.

I think KQT had an embarrassment of riches regarding who to vote out. Jelinsky sealed his fate with Q when he quit during the water hauling challenge. So Q decided he had to go. Then they seemed to settle on Jess because she was the physically weakest player.
Q said he was keeping Bhanu around because he was loyal and would vote the way Q told him. Then they saw Bhanu had no filter at tribal council and just said whatever came into his mind.

I think if you put Jelinsky, Jess and Bhanu on another tribe they wouldn't be voted out in the same order they appear to be headed on this tribe.

The strategy of who to vote out seems to be all over the place with the KQT alliance.

Bhanu is one of those interesting players who has watched Survivor but is shocked at some elements of the game play. "You mean I shouldn't be 100% truthful with Jeff at TC?" , etc.

It reminds me of someone watching golf on TV and thinking it looks so easy. Then they are out swinging clubs and can't believe how much complexity there is in the game.
Good analogy. Bhanu is trying to play mini golf at Augusta National.

I think Q’s impulsiveness is leading to the scattershot strategy. I think T and K are voting with him to keep him happy. It’s hard to fathom when players do so much to potentially ruin their easy 3 person all. I think KQT would be rock solid if Q hadn’t flown off the handle at Jelinsky, who also had a hand in it. I do still think that Jelinsky’s would have saved them the next challenge and I think Kenzie would feel better about Q as well. Hard to have faith in an alliance member who forces the rest of the alliance to change their vote.

I still hate the fact that a medical emergency saved them from tribal. They lost, they should go. It’s kind of a double whammy for the other tribes who beat Yanu. It might have been editing due to wanting to show Bhanu more screen time but Q is not a smart strategist at all. He doesn’t even realize that he could easily alienate Tiff. At some point, Tiff has to realize that getting rid of Kenzie puts her in jeopardy. Q would have his helper vote Tiff if they had to go to tribal again if (don’t think it would have happened) they got rid of Kenzie.

I think Q’s impulsiveness is leading to the scattershot strategy. I think T and K are voting with him to keep him happy. It’s hard to fathom when players do so much to potentially ruin their easy 3 person all. I think KQT would be rock solid if Q hadn’t flown off the handle at Jelinsky, who also had a hand in it. I do still think that Jelinsky’s would have saved them the next challenge and I think Kenzie would feel better about Q as well. Hard to have faith in an alliance member who forces the rest of the alliance to change their vote.

I still hate the fact that a medical emergency saved them from tribal. They lost, they should go. It’s kind of a double whammy for the other tribes who beat Yanu. It might have been editing due to wanting to show Bhanu more screen time but Q is not a smart strategist at all. He doesn’t even realize that he could easily alienate Tiff. At some point, Tiff has to realize that getting rid of Kenzie puts her in jeopardy. Q would have his helper vote Tiff if they had to go to tribal again if (don’t think it would have happened) they got rid of Kenzie.
These decisions about whether there is a tribal after a medevac are made based on TV broadcast considerations. If they do not want to change the timing of the mergatory episode or the number of contestants who are still left for it, then they won't have two eliminations in one episode before that. Survivor really doesn't have hard-and-fast rules the way a sport does. The two big ones are you can't physically assault another contestant and you can't split the prize money (or bribe someone to vote for you at final tribal council). The individual challenges have rules. The overall gameplay and structure of the show, less so.

The show tends to cast people who are impulsive and impatient and want to make BIG MOVEZ. Q is just another one of those. But his scatterbrained ideas are making Yanu's situation a lot more interesting on TV than it otherwise would be.

These decisions about whether there is a tribal after a medevac are made based on TV broadcast considerations. If they do not want to change the timing of the mergatory episode or the number of contestants who are still left for it, then they won't have two eliminations in one episode before that. Survivor really doesn't have hard-and-fast rules the way a sport does. The two big ones are you can't physically assault another contestant and you can't split the prize money (or bribe someone to vote for you at final tribal council). The individual challenges have rules. The overall gameplay and structure of the show, less so.

The show tends to cast people who are impulsive and impatient and want to make BIG MOVEZ. Q is just another one of those. But his scatterbrained ideas are making Yanu's situation a lot more interesting on TV than it otherwise would be.
I understand, but I still don’t like it. I think I’d almost like it better if the person who gets voted off has to join the tribe of the person who was evac’d. That way the tribe that didn’t lose doesn’t go down in numbers and the tribe that did actually lose does go down. It also puts the person voted off into a bad spot as they would have gotten voted off if not for luck.

The whole fake idol with Jess was unnecessary and frankly kinda dumb. But yea, BIG MOVEZ!

The whole fake idol with Jess was unnecessary and frankly kinda dumb. But yea, BIG MOVEZ!
She didn’t play her shot in the dark though, did she? Seems like the fake idol worked as they planned.

Lol. Win one reward ... then right back to the bottom. Welp, no surprises tonight.
I'm glad he went home. I was getting worried when he was looking for an idol that there may be another one out there, and he would find it. His emotional fragileness had to be so draining for that tribe. It was for the viewers.

I loved Bhanu as a character for four episodes. And I am so glad that he lasted only four episodes.

Same, except sub one episode for four. By tonight, he was actively making my stomach hurt, and I found myself pleading out loud for his exit. I actually wasn’t sure if I could continue watching if he were on.

Given his huge amount of screen time, I’m wondering if you, @Corporation , or other great devotees think one of his tribe mates might be the winner? It’s otherwise hard to understand why they spent most of the first four episodes on him, but you guys know the history so much better than I.

I loved Bhanu as a character for four episodes. And I am so glad that he lasted only four episodes.

Same, except sub one episode for four. By tonight, he was actively making my stomach hurt, and I found myself pleading out loud for his exit. I actually wasn’t sure if I could continue watching if he were on.

Given his huge amount of screen time, I’m wondering if you, @Corporation , or other great devotees think one of his tribe mates might be the winner? It’s otherwise hard to understand why they spent most of the first four episodes on him, but you guys know the history so much better than I.
I could be wrong, but I think they spent so much time on Bhanu because they think it makes for good TV. They focus on players that are prone to extremes because they figure people will tune in to empathize with them or "hate watch" because they can't stand them.

The focus of the show seems to be less and less about players that play the game well and more about characters that Probst thinks will get people to tune in.

Lot of criers out there this season. I don't remember seeing anyone like Bhanu in any other season. What a roller coaster he is and I liked how Tiff just hit him with the truth. "You're a good guy, but you're exhausting and we have to let you go, sorry."

Watching the one lady trying to learn how to jump was amusing. Reminded me of when George Costanza tried to demonstrate the training shoes with his 2" vertical jump.

The edit hasn't really shown us a lot of Hunter's social game, but he's a challenge beast. Liked the segment of his puzzle/obstacles practice back home. The sandbag challenge was a snap for him. That said, he'll be one of the first gone post merge.

Not sure how others feel but I like Kenzie. She's got that slight Elisabeth Shue vibe, like her younger red headed sister. Not a fan of the colorful body tats but I'd like to see her stick around for awhile.

Lol. Win one reward ... then right back to the bottom. Welp, no surprises tonight.
I'm glad he went home. I was getting worried when he was looking for an idol that there may be another one out there, and he would find it. His emotional fragileness had to be so draining for that tribe. It was for the viewers.
Agreed, I kept thinking "please don't find one!"

Interesting how in his exit piece he mentions his faith, while earlier in the episode he was was mad at and blaming ... "pointing up".

I could be wrong, but I think they spent so much time on Bhanu because they think it makes for good TV. They focus on players that are prone to extremes because they figure people will tune in to empathize with them or "hate watch" because they can't stand them.

The focus of the show seems to be less and less about players that play the game well and more about characters that Probst thinks will get people to tune in.

Combination of Jeff found him entertaining and they when to tribal every time so hard not to focus on the tribe. That being said right now Kenzie and Tiffany are two of my favorites to win.

Combination of Jeff found him entertaining and they when to tribal every time so hard not to focus on the tribe. That being said right now Kenzie and Tiffany are two of my favorites to win.
Not sure on that.
Kenzie already had a target on her back that only got bigger by doing exactly what he said they would do.
Not sure any on the Purple team have a chance. :shrug:

There's not a whole hell of a lot going on on the green tribe. And there are 90-minute (or more) episodes. So, lots of time for the early boots if the producers and editors think they're entertaining. And they most definitely thought that of Bhanu. On his podcast, Probst said he loved Bhanu and if he could go back and do it again, he would still cast him.

There could be a Tika 3 situation, but I think the winner is someone from the green tribe (not Tim or Moriah) or Tevin. Unless Hunter wins every individual immunity challenge, which has never happened -- not even Tom W. or Ozzy or Joe A. or Mike H. did it.

The focus of the show has almost never been about players that play the game well. Because playing well usually means not standing out too much.

Lot of criers out there this season. I don't remember seeing anyone like Bhanu in any other season.
The first appearance of Brandon Hantz. Who was painful to watch, in part because he lasted until late in the game.

I wrote this last week on another forum:

The more I think about it, the more I see parallels between Bhanu and Brandon Hantz 1.0. Hear me out:

Both are incapable of saying anything other than what they are feeling at that given moment.
Both have zero concept of how to play Survivor strategically.
Both have melted down frequently, including at tribal council.
Both have used/referred to religion weirdly, Brandon with his "good Christian man trying to resist temptation" shtick (and a religious-cult type alliance being formed as a way for Coach to control him) and Bhanu with his "Randen's medevac is a miracle from God" comments.*
Both have referred to women weirdly, Brandon with his "Michaela is a temptress whose hotness is leading me to sin" and Bhanu with his "Kenzie is a mermaid/dragon who is controlling everything." It's not quite the same because Bhanu is gay and not sexually attracted to Kenzie, but it's still a "using historical tropes to 'otherize' women" situation.

Brandon 1.0 is one of my least favorite characters (I'm sure Brandon 2.0 is worse, but I have not seen Caramoan), yet I am entertained by Bhanu as of now. However, if he ends up lasting as long as Brandon 1.0 did, I may grow to hate him unless he changes his behavior.

* - Bhanu got even weirder with the religious stuff this week.

Watching the one lady trying to learn how to jump was amusing. Reminded me of when George Costanza tried to demonstrate the training shoes with his 2" vertical jump.
What's funny is that she was on Wipeout and apparently did well. How is that possible if you can't jump?

Not sure on that.
Kenzie already had a target on her back that only got bigger by doing exactly what he said they would do.
Not sure any on the Purple team have a chance. :shrug:
Yeah. I suspect we'll learn eventually that Bhanu blew up all their games.

The focus of the show has almost never been about players that play the game well. Because playing well usually means not standing out too much.
I disagree. The clips where players speak to the camera used to be an opportunity for the good players to share how well they were playing the game. Now it is mainly used to show how wacky, zany, eccentric, etc. the players are.

Think about Ozzy, Boston Rob, Sandra, Tony (spy shack guy), etc.

Unbelievable how many of them had to hold their nose jumping in the water. If I'm going on national tv and know I’m going to be diving into water, that’s the first thing I’m teaching myself.

Unbelievable how many of them had to hold their nose jumping in the water. If I'm going on national tv and know I’m going to be diving into water, that’s the first thing I’m teaching myself.

This is a major pet peeve of mine. It's such a Melvin move

Same. But I was over him when he was weeping on the journey. I could barely get through the 4th episode. I fast forwarded most of his drivel last night.

Users who are viewing this thread