What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tennis: French Open wide open (1 Viewer)

Some of those flying stretch volleys below the net and running half-volley lob shots were out of this world. The fact that Alcaraz hit so many of them kind of shows it was his day IMO. No one can make those shots routinely.

Some of those flying stretch volleys below the net and running half-volley lob shots were out of this world. The fact that Alcaraz hit so many of them kind of shows it was his day IMO. No one can make those shots routinely.
he was doing SO many crazy things on the court and making it look so easy. those... all the dinks and drops- and I think he was looking one way to throw Joker off, and dinking/dropping the other way... in perfect spots- every time. just insane. and I mentioned that he got a racket to every ball joker hit (I saw) except one. so discouraging to hit your best shot, running the guy all over the place and STILL not pass him.

We went to the US Open yesterday... floppinha's home court (where she does her classes) is there. and unrelated (since there were people from all over)- her program was part of the Generation Next thing, where they have kids get on the center courts and do demos. she had a blast playing on Louis Armstrong... albeit, with a red ball, kid's racket (provided by them... but not to keep) on a short court and 23 other kids. the racket was so small, she couldn't get two hands on it for her backhand, so was hitting a one-handed backhand- and damn well at that!

we watched Pegula, casper ruud and some unknowns practice and then caught some matches. watched a bunch of Thiem- crowd was very behind him. watched a set of Sloane Stevens (sounds like it tunred into an epic 3 setter... but we had to leave partway through the 2nd set). we wanted to watch Alcaraz practice, but the timing was off for us, and the crowd at the practice court was huge.

and... we watched one of the unknowns we had seen practice dismantle 8th ranked Sakkari (who I had heard from multiple people in the know was going to make a deep run this year).

later, I read in the papers... and it's increased international spread... that Sakkari smelled pot during her match :lol: . well... yeah! the court is on the perimeter of the complex, abutting Corona Park and the employee back of house area. if it wasn't the park, it was the employees. or both! I was smelling it all day... which is normal.

but what's interesting- media being what it is and all- that the news comments about it headline how she's "complaining" about the pot as part of her loss. not at all what the full comments are about- she talks about it matter of factly as part of the match, even saying that it's normal- often smelling cigarettes, pot, food, etc. but the media has latched onto it.

We went to the US Open yesterday... floppinha's home court (where she does her classes) is there. and unrelated (since there were people from all over)- her program was part of the Generation Next thing, where they have kids get on the center courts and do demos. she had a blast playing on Louis Armstrong... albeit, with a red ball, kid's racket (provided by them... but not to keep) on a short court and 23 other kids. the racket was so small, she couldn't get two hands on it for her backhand, so was hitting a one-handed backhand- and damn well at that!

we watched Pegula, casper ruud and some unknowns practice and then caught some matches. watched a bunch of Thiem- crowd was very behind him. watched a set of Sloane Stevens (sounds like it tunred into an epic 3 setter... but we had to leave partway through the 2nd set). we wanted to watch Alcaraz practice, but the timing was off for us, and the crowd at the practice court was huge.

and... we watched one of the unknowns we had seen practice dismantle 8th ranked Sakkari (who I had heard from multiple people in the know was going to make a deep run this year).

later, I read in the papers... and it's increased international spread... that Sakkari smelled pot during her match :lol: . well... yeah! the court is on the perimeter of the complex, abutting Corona Park and the employee back of house area. if it wasn't the park, it was the employees. or both! I was smelling it all day... which is normal.

but what's interesting- media being what it is and all- that the news comments about it headline how she's "complaining" about the pot as part of her loss. not at all what the full comments are about- she talks about it matter of factly as part of the match, even saying that it's normal- often smelling cigarettes, pot, food, etc. but the media has latched onto it.
We were at Alcaraz’ practice - it was ridiculously crowded, and a long wait. I would have skipped it, but my wife was on a mission…

We got in after ~45 minutes, with seats about 3 rows up. I was surprised how bulky Alcaraz looks IRL, more like a sprinter than tennis player.

Anyway, it was fun to watch. And my wife was rewarded for her patience with an autographed ball :excited:

D2 we watched the entire Dmitrov match, a really good 5-setter. And speaking of marijana, she was the umpire!

Wednesday is our last day. Any good restaurant recs in Queens? We’re pescatarian, and like desserts, FWIW.

How do tennis tickets work? I’m hoping to take an Aussie Open trip, and if I buy stadium tickets, can I still watch the outer courts? It seems like it’s day and night sessions. So if I buy tickets to a particular stadium, how many matches do I get. I think it’s usually two per session, but I’m not sure.

How do tennis tickets work? I’m hoping to take an Aussie Open trip, and if I buy stadium tickets, can I still watch the outer courts? It seems like it’s day and night sessions. So if I buy tickets to a particular stadium, how many matches do I get. I think it’s usually two per session, but I’m not sure.
For US Open, if you buy Arthur Ashe or lower Louis Armstrong tickets you get full access everywhere. If you buy general admission grounds tickets, you get access everywhere but lower Louis (can still get into upper) or anywhere in Arthur Ashe.

We were at Alcaraz’ practice - it was ridiculously crowded, and a long wait. I would have skipped it, but my wife was on a mission…

We got in after ~45 minutes, with seats about 3 rows up. I was surprised how bulky Alcaraz looks IRL, more like a sprinter than tennis player.

Anyway, it was fun to watch. And my wife was rewarded for her patience with an autographed ball :excited:

D2 we watched the entire Dmitrov match, a really good 5-setter. And speaking of marijana, she was the umpire!

Wednesday is our last day. Any good restaurant recs in Queens? We’re pescatarian, and like desserts, FWIW.
So cool! Enjoy today... What matches will you see?

We watched Pegula on the same court where Alcaraz practiced next. But dumb dad misread the times, thinking Alc would be there at 11, not 12. We had seats behind the light pole halfway up above the tent on the end right at 11.

After 20 mins of watching Pegula, both 12yo girls and other dad wanted to go watch matches and not hang out another 40 to watch Alc. I was on the fence, figuring that would be the highlight of the day, but also aware we had been there since 8am (call time for the Gen Next kids and parents) and that all of us were already getting burned out without having watched a match yet. So we hopped over to the Grand Stand to watch Thiem instead.

No queens restaurant tips, sorry. I know there are lots of good Indian and Greek spots (and more varied international food)... Just not specifics that Google couldn't tell you.

Am I remembering right? Was the last time an American man won a major tournament 2003 (when Agassi won the Australian and Roderick won the Open)?

We watched Pegula on the same court where Alcaraz practiced next. But dumb dad misread the times, thinking Alc would be there at 11, not 12. We had seats behind the light pole halfway up above the tent on the end right at 11.

After 20 mins of watching Pegula, both 12yo girls and other dad wanted to go watch matches and not hang out another 40 to watch Alc. I was on the fence, figuring that would be the highlight of the day, but also aware we had been there since 8am (call time for the Gen Next kids and parents) and that all of us were already getting burned out without having watched a match yet. So we hopped over to the Grand Stand to watch Thiem instead.

No queens restaurant tips, sorry. I know there are lots of good Indian and Greek spots (and more varied international food)... Just not specifics that Google couldn't tell you.
Thiem- Shelton atm

Thiem- Shelton atm

Shelton kid is danged entertaining.

Thiem- Shelton atm

Shelton kid is danged entertaining.
Yeah, it was a good match until Thiem tapped.

Sabalena is a monster sometimes.

Shelton/Tiafoe under the lights tomorrow. Over 39.5 games. Let's go 5.

I’ve noticed this in tennis for a while now. Why does 2 not play 3 in the semis? Seems unfair that Alcaraz has to play #3 while Novak as the 2 doesn’t.
1 and 2 separate sides
3 and 4 separate sides
5-8 next bucket
9-16 next bucket
17-32 next bucket

I like this way better than NCAA bracket.

I’ve noticed this in tennis for a while now. Why does 2 not play 3 in the semis? Seems unfair that Alcaraz has to play #3 while Novak as the 2 doesn’t.
1 and 2 separate sides
3 and 4 separate sides
5-8 next bucket
9-16 next bucket
17-32 next bucket

So why wouldn’t the 2 and 3 be in the same bucket or side then?

What a hold from Zverev with a second serve ace. Neither guy looks like they can finish out the set, but both are producing some great tennis.

Ugly double fault to give Sinner the break. Sinner has a chance to send this to a 5th. Wouldn't have predicted that a set ago, but Sinner looks a bit fitter than Zverev right now.

1 and 2 separate sides
3 and 4 separate sides
5-8 next bucket
9-16 next bucket
17-32 next bucket

Nope.
1 and 2 are separated top and bottom. Then 3 and 4 are separated top and bottom in semi brackets . So it can be 1/3-2/4 or 1/4-2/3.
Then 5-8 are drawn into each quarter section.
Then 9-16 drawn into 16th sections
Finally 17-32 drawn into 32nd sections
Unseeded complete bracket.

Basically 1 can play any of 17-32 in round of 32, 9-16 in round of 16, any of 5-8 in quarters and 3-4 in semis.

Hope that helps. I’m terrible at explaining.

Things lining up for Coco... Let's go!

That said, we watched Sabalenka practice when we were there last week and she looked really strong. Big grunter, that one.

1 and 2 separate sides
3 and 4 separate sides
5-8 next bucket
9-16 next bucket
17-32 next bucket

It used to be because you could have the exact same semifinal matchups every single tournament. This isn't a once a year thing. It would happen almost every single major and big event. So it would be 1) boring and 2) sometimes players styles are better suited to beat another player. Same thing for 5-8 being randomized. Allows for different matches. We even do this at the club level to a certain extent.

1 and 2 separate sides
3 and 4 separate sides
5-8 next bucket
9-16 next bucket
17-32 next bucket

It used to be because you could have the exact same semifinal matchups every single tournament. This isn't a once a year thing. It would happen almost every single major and big event. So it would be 1) boring and 2) sometimes players styles are better suited to beat another player. Same thing for 5-8 being randomized. Allows for different matches. We even do this at the club level to a certain extent.
Makes sense. I just wanted to see Medvedev take out Joker again lol

Users who are viewing this thread