What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1974 #1. Lady Marmalade (2 Viewers)

Today was the 50th anniversary of the release of the New York Dolls’ in Too Much Too Soon. Does not look like anything from it made the list, but it’s a great one.

(There’s Gonna Be A) Showdown
Has there ever been a bigger 180 in music than David Johansen going from the New York Dolls to Buster Poindexter?
Maybe Robert Plant with his work with Alison Krauss, but that's probably not as much of a 180 as Johansen. Or you could say Neil Young, who has made a career out of pivots.

Today was the 50th anniversary of the release of the New York Dolls’ in Too Much Too Soon. Does not look like anything from it made the list, but it’s a great one.

Has there ever been a bigger 180 in music than David Johansen going from the New York Dolls to Buster Poindexter?
Maybe Robert Plant with his work with Alison Krauss, but that's probably not as much of a 180 as Johansen. Or you could say Neil Young, who has made a career out of pivots.
Stanley Clarke went from Jazz-Fusion God to Funkateer to Pop Smoothie in about a 5 year span.

The one I think of most in this vein, though, is Kool & The Gang. First made their name as a kind of Funkadelic rip-off with silly songs like "Funky Worm". Then they simplified a bit and hit three consecutive crossover homeruns - "Funky Stuff", "Jungle Boogie", and (best of all) "Hollywood Swinging". Then they went straight jazz. Then disco ("Open Sesame" on the SNF soundtrack, "Ladies Night" soon after). THEN (I'm already tired of typing that word), they stripped it all down and essentially became a New Wave band in the 80s with stuff like "Misled" & "Tonight". In none of these iterations do they sound anything like the others.

None of Neil’s phases in the 80s lasted very long, and he’s been very much himself since then. There are elements of what Plant does with Krauss in some of Zeppelin’s work.

The closest comparisons are someone like Fatboy Slim, who started out as the bassist in an indie rock band (The Housemartins) before getting into the electronic music world.

Stanley Clarke went from Jazz-Fusion God to Funkateer to Pop Smoothie in about a 5 year span.

The one I think of most in this vein, though, is Kool & The Gang. First made their name as a kind of Funkadelic rip-off with silly songs like "Funky Worm". Then they simplified a bit and hit three consecutive crossover homeruns - "Funky Stuff", "Jungle Boogie", and (best of all) "Hollywood Swinging". Then they went straight jazz. Then disco ("Open Sesame" on the SNF soundtrack, "Ladies Night" soon after). THEN (I'm already tired of typing that word), they stripped it all down and essentially became a New Wave band in the 80s with stuff like "Misled" & "Tonight". In none of these iterations do they sound anything like the others.
I remember Clarke working with Stewart Copeland in Animal Logic in the late 80s.

Witness the evolution of Ronnie James Dio:

I remember Clarke working with Stewart Copeland in Animal Logic in the late 80s.
I think, by now, there's no more than two degrees of separation between Clarke and every musician who's ever lived :lol:

1. LaBelle “Lady Marmalade” (from Nightbirds)

The classic original version of this song is the best tune of 1974. A big part of that is Patti’s vocals- many people regard her as one of the greatest singers in pop music history. Certainly her range and power here is extraordinary. And part is the song itself with its intoxicating melody and beat. The video, which looks like a Vegas drag show, is pretty awesome as well.
Also, #1 worst song for a group of women to (try to) sing at karaoke.

Users who are viewing this thread