What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1974 #20. Fire (20 Viewers)

28. Steely Dan “Rikki Don’t Lose That Number” (from Pretzel Logic)

Getting into the biggies now. One of their most infectious melodies. But for some reason I know a couple of people who really hate this (including my wife who always demands that I “turn that **** off!” whenever it appears on one of my playlists…

27. Lynyrd Skynyrd “The Ballad of Curtis Leow” (from Second Helping)

Curtis Leow was the finest picker to ever play the blues

Really what more needs to be said? Except that this is one of the great rock ballads ever written.

Getting into the biggies now. One of their most infectious melodies. But for some reason I know a couple of people who really hate this (including my wife who always demands that I “turn that **** off!” whenever it appears on one of my playlists…
No one should say anything bad about it.

26. Carl Douglas “Kung Fu Fighting” (from Kung Fu Fighting and Other Great Love Songs)

Funky China men from funky Chinatown

Not exactly the most politically correct lyrics but hey they’re awesome. I also love the album title, which steals from Layla, but how exactly is this a love song? Whatever. One of the greatest novelty tunes of all time.

26. Carl Douglas “Kung Fu Fighting” (from Kung Fu Fighting and Other Great Love Songs)

Not exactly the most politically correct lyrics but hey they’re awesome. I also love the album title, which steals from Layla, but how exactly is this a love song? Whatever. One of the greatest novelty tunes of all time.
The album title is a joke, and the joke is that this is not a love song.

25. Bad Company “Bad Company” (from Bad Company)

I have no idea how many of these songs I was personally aware of in 1974- I was only 9 years old. But I know for sure I was aware of this one, because it was played a lot on the radio upon release and I can clearly recall being enamored by its lonesome cowboy message. Though I would have surprised at the time to learn that it was sung by a British guy. Anyhow, a classic.

24. Joni Mitchell “Help Me” (from Court and Spark)

This really is an extraordinary song. For one thing it’s a jazz melody, extremely complex, yet at the same time very accessible. And she sings it so effortlessly.
It seems to me that, up to this point Joni has been one of the great singer-songwriters (Blue being her masterpiece). And then in 1974 she surprised by changing direction and achieved true immortality. I have made the comparison between her and Taylor Swift many times and I think it’s apt. Court and Spark was Joni Mitchell’s Folklore.

This really is an extraordinary song. For one thing it’s a jazz melody, extremely complex, yet at the same time very accessible. And she sings it so effortlessly.
It seems to me that, up to this point Joni has been one of the great singer-songwriters (Blue being her masterpiece). And then in 1974 she surprised by changing direction and achieved true immortality. I have made the comparison between her and Taylor Swift many times and I think it’s apt. Court and Spark was Joni Mitchell’s Folklore.
Allright, this one may actually be better than PIck Up The Pieces. ;)

While we're pretty far into the countdown, I'm still gonna say this is too low (Binky: high).

23. Elton John “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me” (from Caribou)

Never my favorite Elton ballad, but I don’t turn it off either. This is a fine song. The original IMO, is much better than the George Michael duet but I was never a huge George Michael fan.

Never my favorite Elton ballad, but I don’t turn it off either. This is a fine song. The original IMO, is much better than the George Michael duet but I was never a huge George Michael fan.
I personally like the duet better, but I also like this song better than most Elton songs in general. Not seeing what's left, this ranking is well deserved, if not too low.

I personally like the duet better, but I also like this song better than most Elton songs in general. Not seeing what's left, this ranking is well deserved, if not too low.
Yeah Michael does it better imho too.
If you base your Michael opinion on the Wham and Faith LP, you are missing out

22. Gordon Lightfoot “Sundown” (from Sundown)

One of the great soft rock classics of all time. So good. And I’ve always loved the bridge guitar solo
"Sometimes I think it's a sin
When I feel like I'm winnin' when I'm losin' again"

Awesome

One of the great soft rock classics of all time. So good. And I’ve always loved the bridge guitar solo
One of the best examples of chill ‘70s music.

Bruce Lee became a massive world-wide star in the early 70s. All kinds of media hopped on the bandwagon. There was the Kung Fu TV show starring David Carradine. Hong Kong Phooey, a Saturday morning cartoon. Marvel comics introduced a Chinese hero who specialized in beating the hell out of people using Eastern fighting arts. You had the Billy Jack movies and their descendants staring folks like Norris, Seagal, & Van Damme.

Then there was this song. First time it came on the radio within my earshot, I begged my mother to take me to a local general store to buy the record. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

This is - to me - when Steely Dan became Steely Dan.

25. Bad Company “Bad Company” (from Bad Company)

I have no idea how many of these songs I was personally aware of in 1974- I was only 9 years old. But I know for sure I was aware of this one, because it was played a lot on the radio upon release and I can clearly recall being enamored by its lonesome cowboy message. Though I would have surprised at the time to learn that it was sung by a British guy. Anyhow, a classic.
Another record I thought was cool as hell when I was 12. The whole kinda/sorta anti-hero thing appealed to me.

Bad Company has worn thin on me over the years. Even though they had some real talent in the band, they were basically a one-trick pony. Their first LP, though, is a good example of what the mid-70s sounded like played through electric guitars.

Hi, I'm Uruk and I have a Joni problem.

I should like her music more than I do. She's weird and soulful and talented. But I could never do more than appreciate her. I think the main issue is that her songs are about really complicated adult stuff and I wasn't about to try to understand that when I could throw on another Grand Funk album.

Last edited:

I recall reading an essay about Elton that was probably written in the late 70s or early 80s. I can't remember who wrote it (pretty sure it was one of the big rock critics at the time), but they described this song as "overripe". It took me a bit to understand what they were trying to say, but I eventually got it (I think). Even though it's a ballad, it's so full of hooks it almost becomes unwieldy. Except that it's Elton John who did it, and he was on one of music's all-time heaters so it fits right in with everything else he was doing.

I like the George Michael version, too.

This song has always driven me crazy. I don't know what it is - vocal melody, Lightfoot's weird cadence, the lyrics...... It's my least-favorite of his hits. It's still pretty good, though.

21. Joe Cocker “You Are So Beautiful” (from The Kids ‘N’ Me)

I expect a bit of pushback on this selection only because I always get pushback whenever I choose one of Cocker’s covers- I guess I appreciate him more than the crowd here does as a general rule. But this is arguably his greatest song, and he sings it with a soulful energy that I love and I know that many others can’t stand. And it’s a beautiful ballad. it was written by a couple of guys I won’t mention here because they have another hit from 1974 that I have slotted extremely high in this draft and J don’t want to spotlight- you’re welcome to look it up. In addition to those two guys, Beach Boy Dennis Wilson also received songwriting credits.

This is - to me - when Steely Dan became Steely Dan.
This or the Katy Lied album.

Their first album was their own recordings of songs Becker and Fagen had shopped around in a failed attempt to become songwriters-for-hire. Their second was a deliberate attempt to write and record songs that could be played live. Pretzel Logic, the third, was neither of those, but nor was it as hyper-perfectionist as their subsequent albums. And as I mentioned earlier in this thread, it has no consistency in terms of genre or production style. But the success of "Rikki" probably gave them enough clout to stop touring and to make their albums the way they wanted to.

I recall reading an essay about Elton that was probably written in the late 70s or early 80s. I can't remember who wrote it (pretty sure it was one of the big rock critics at the time), but they described this song as "overripe". It took me a bit to understand what they were trying to say, but I eventually got it (I think). Even though it's a ballad, it's so full of hooks it almost becomes unwieldy. Except that it's Elton John who did it, and he was on one of music's all-time heaters so it fits right in with everything else he was doing.

In other words, it shouldn't work, but it does. I agree with that.

In other words, it shouldn't work, but it does. I agree with that.
The only Elton contemporary would could consistently pull this off that I can think of is Stevie Wonder (who may have done it more than even Reg did). The Bee Gees, too, I guess.

21. Joe Cocker “You Are So Beautiful” (from The Kids ‘N’ Me)

I expect a bit of pushback on this selection only because I always get pushback whenever I choose one of Cocker’s covers- I guess I appreciate him more than the crowd here does as a general rule. But this is arguably his greatest song, and he sings it with a soulful energy that I love and I know that many others can’t stand. And it’s a beautiful ballad. it was written by a couple of guys I won’t mention here because they have another hit from 1974 that I have slotted extremely high in this draft and J don’t want to spotlight- you’re welcome to look it up. In addition to those two guys, Beach Boy Dennis Wilson also received songwriting credits.
I don't mind this song (or Cocker himself), but this isn't the most diverse song. Hearing this on AM Top 40 Radio twice an hour, it could get repetitive really fast.

Users who are viewing this thread