What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1974 #20. Fire (13 Viewers)

97. John Lennon “Whatever Gets You Through The Night” (from Walls and Bridges)

The link is to a live version from an EltonJohn concert (Elton actually played keyboards on the original recording) which I like better than the original. I could do without the constant shots of Yoko though.
Like “Already Gone” there is nothing wrong with this tune. Like “Already Gone” it’s a fun song that’s never been my favorite.
This is one of the few times after about 1965 that John Lennon sounds like he's having fun on a record.
He was a tortured soul, and that's reflected in many of his recordings. But not here. (Wikkid could wax about this much more eloquently than I could, his posts on John were always very insightful.)

94. Bachman Turner Overdrive “Roll On Down The Highway” (from Not Fragile)

These guys were always good at guitar hooks that drew you in to their hit songs. This one is no different; a pretty decent rocker.

93. Orleans “Dance With Me” (from Orleans II)

There’s going to be some early 70s cheesy soft rock on this list. I make no apologies; I am generally a fan of this stuff. (That being said, Terry Jack’s “Seasons In the Sun” will NOT be included as I find it simply not good enough.)

“Dance With Me” is pleasant guitar driven pop from a lost age.

92. Joni Mitchell “Court And Spark” (from Court And Spark)

The opening song to one of the greatest albums of the year (or any year for that matter; quite honestly the only record I can think of that has such an incredible collection of sophisticated songwriting by a woman at her absolute peak is Taylor Swift’s Folklore, and I think the two albums are comparable in many ways.)

In any event, the opening tune is a great example of the infusion of folk and jazz which occurs on the entire record. I especially love the bridge.

91. Billy Swan “I Can Help” (released as a single)

Billy Swan had a number of country albums highly regarded by the critics but this was his only hit song. I’m going to have to back and sample some of the other stuff. This tune is a fun sort of 50s throwback.

Billy Swan had a number of country albums highly regarded by the critics but this was his only hit song. I’m going to have to back and sample some of the other stuff. This tune is a fun sort of 50s throwback.
Not familiar with him. The only Swan I know from back then was this guy.

There’s going to be some early 70s cheesy soft rock on this list. I make no apologies; I am generally a fan of this stuff. (That being said, Terry Jack’s “Seasons In the Sun” will NOT be included as I find it simply not good enough.)

I'm all in on Orleans as long as you PROMISE to uphold your end of the bargain with Terry Jack's (Exhibit 2 of "Songs that should never be played again")

Not familiar with him. The only Swan I know from back then was this guy.
This was a huge cross-over hit. I think it started on the country charts and then made a move on the Billboard 100. The song itself is catchy but forgettable all at the same time.

I'm all in on Orleans as long as you PROMISE to uphold your end of the bargain with Terry Jack's (Exhibit 2 of "Songs that should never be played again")
"Seasons In The Sun" is the record I commented upthread about absolutely NOT wanting to see here. I like the Orleans song.

"Seasons In The Sun" is the record I commented upthread about absolutely NOT wanting to see here. I like the Orleans song.
You guys didn’t have to worry about it. Such a terrible song. Years ago we did a worst song draft and it was prominently featured. Not like “Billy Don’t Be A Hero” which is a decent tune IMO.

You guys didn’t have to worry about it. Such a terrible song. Years ago we did a worst song draft and it was prominently featured. Not like “Billy Don’t Be A Hero” which is a decent tune IMO.
I was the one that chose it in that draft.

I'll give you a break on "Billy" because I agree with the majority of your takes, but you are wrong on this one :laugh:

Around this time there were laws put in place by the Canadian government that stated a certain percentage of the songs played on radio stations had to be Canadian content (CanCon).
As a result we were bludgeoned over the head by "Seasons In The Sun".

What I didn't know is the song was intended for The Beach Boys with Terry Jacks as the Producer. When they turned it down, Jacks released it himself.

Around this time there were laws put in place by the Canadian government that stated a certain percentage of the songs played on radio stations had to be Canadian content (CanCon).

What I didn't know is the song was intended for The Beach Boys with Terry Jacks as the Producer. When they turned it down, Jacks released it himself.
I'm from the U.S. and still got bludgeoned with it :lol:

Are you telling us that stations couldn't play Gordan Lightfoot for 24 hours to drown out this dreck?

As has already been seen with Joni, and will be again with some other artists, there was plenty of exellent Canadian music to be bludgeoned with in 1974. Terry Jacks wasn’t one of these.

Speaking of The Beach Boys, their compilation album Endless Summer came out in 1974. I might have listened to that record more than anything on this list.

Fun Fact:

Billy Swan wrote the #7 1962 hit "Lover Please" by Clyde McPhatter (which was McPhatters last pop hit).

90. Electric Light Orchestra “Can’t Get It Out Of My Head” (from Eldorado)

ELO’s first big hit. Sounds a little Beatlish to me; go figure!

Unforunatetly this tune, which I otherwise would like, has always been a bit of a an earwig for me, particularly the chorus. It definitely lives up to its title.

Definitely remember the song. It was a top 10
Song on WLS in Chixago.

All you Seasons in the Sun haters have no joy in your life
If I wanted to listen to a song about death, surely there is something by Depeche Mode that isn't as depressing?
We had joy, we had fun
We had seasons in the sun

Sounds a happy song to me
Could have worked for the covers thread. Not exactly a straight cover, but probably close enough:

Original
Funnily enough i did sort of take Seasons in the Sun in the covers thread.
I took Abba. Westlife did a cover of I Have a Dream. The double A side to I have a Dream by Westlife is Seasons in the Sun sung by the band with absolutely no idea what the lyrics are saying. Idiots.

If I wanted to listen to a song about death, surely there is something by Depeche Mode that isn't as depressing?
We had joy, we had fun

Goodbye papa it's hard to die
When all the birds are singing in the sky

Yeah, I can't wipe the smile off my face.
Go on, mr Glass Half empty
My glass is half full

Now that spring is in the air
Pretty girls are everywhere
Think of me and i'll be there
We had joy, we had fun

89. Marvin Hamlisch (arranger) “The Entertainer” (from The Sting- The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

The movie The Sting came out in November of 1973, but the album was released in January of 1974 which makes it eligible for this list. Almost all the music on this record was originally composed by Scott Joplin, king of the ragtime era and one of the great composers in American history. By 1974 however he was largely forgotten but this soundtrack, even more than the film, revived his legacy. It also created an industry of home piano lessons for children which has lasted ever since.

The great irony of course is that The Sting is a period piece that takes place during the Great Depression, whereas Joplin’s music is from a much earlier time. Yet somehow it fits brilliantly in the film, largely due to the efforts of Hamlisch, another of our great songwriters. Marvin took Joplin’s piano rolls and added a live orchestra playing what is closer to Benny Goodman level swing- on this song, the most famous on the album, Hamlisch plays the piano himself before the band kicks in.

Although “The Entertainer” is the most well known song from the movie, there is an even better tune coming up a little later.

89. Marvin Hamlisch (arranger) “The Entertainer” (from The Sting- The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

The movie The Sting came out in November of 1973, but the album was released in January of 1974 which makes it eligible for this list. Almost all the music on this record was originally composed by Scott Joplin, king of the ragtime era and one of the great composers in American history. By 1974 however he was largely forgotten but this soundtrack, even more than the film, revived his legacy. It also created an industry of home piano lessons for children which has lasted ever since.

The great irony of course is that The Sting is a period piece that takes place during the Great Depression, whereas Joplin’s music is from a much earlier time. Yet somehow it fits brilliantly in the film, largely due to the efforts of Hamlisch, another of our great songwriters. Marvin took Joplin’s piano rolls and added a live orchestra playing what is closer to Benny Goodman level swing- on this song, the most famous on the album, Hamlisch plays the piano himself before the band kicks in.

Although “The Entertainer” is the most well known song from the movie, there is an even better tune coming up a little later.
Wasn’t sure coming in whether it would be this or the other “The Entertainer” <cough, Uruk, cough>. Maybe we’ll see both here.

Last edited:
We had joy, we had fun

Goodbye papa it's hard to die

Yeah, I can't wipe the smile off my face.
Go on, mr Glass Half empty
My glass is half full

Now that spring is in the air
Pretty girls are everywhere
Think of me and i'll be there
We had joy, we had fun
We had cheesies on a bun.

That's what my friend used to say. 😀

Oddly I can play this on the piano. It's 1 of like 15 songs I can still remember from those painful piano lessons my mom made me take.

It was a beautiful song but it ran too long
If you wanna have a hit you got to make it fit
So I cut it down to 3:05

Oh wait…

Oddly I can play this on the piano. It's 1 of like 15 songs I can still remember from those painful piano lessons my mom made me take.
Are you me?

My mom said I could quit playing piano when I quit playing hockey. The DAY I quit hockey is the last time I've played piano - and I took lessons for 11 years

88. Dionne Warwick & The Spinners “Then Came You” (released as a single)

I’ve never thought much of Dionne Warwick. She lucked out by hitching herself to a couple of amazing somgwriters (Hal David and Burt Bacharach), and when that relationship ended, so did her fortunes because she was a decidedly mediocre singer. However, in 1974 she managed to team up with The Spinners and everything they did was awesome, including this tune.

I’ve never thought much of Dionne Warwick. She lucked out by hitching herself to a couple of amazing somgwriters (Hal David and Burt Bacharach), and when that relationship ended, so did her fortunes because she was a decidedly mediocre singer. However, in 1974 she managed to team up with The Spinners and everything they did was awesome, including this tune.
I think she was a fine singer, but you're right in that she was given great songs to work with. Warwick also had another resurgence in the late 70s and well into the 80s, when she had a bunch of hits.

Good tune. I didn't even realize that Dionne was still with us until I saw her on that recent Capital One "That's What March Is For" commercial. Hardly recognized her.

She'll always be synonymous with Solid Gold for me.

I think she was a fine singer, but you're right in that she was given great songs to work with. Warwick also had another resurgence in the late 70s and well into the 80s, when she had a bunch of hits.
I might be coming down too hard on Dionne here. She’s fine. It’s just that this era, and particularly this year of 1974, features some of the greatest soul vocalists of all time, I mean women with immortal voices. And I just don’t see Warwick quite in that category.

Dionne Warwick was a decidedly mediocre singer and was only a success because of the Bacharach/David connection?

SMH

I think giving a listen to Walk On By, Message To Michael, I Say A Little Prayer, Anyone Who Had A Heart, and Alfie (to name a few) would prove otherwise.

Bacharach and Hal David were so impressed by Warwick's singing after they first heard her that they decided to form a production company, Blue JAC Productions, so they could exclusively write for Warwick and produce her recordings.

Yes, her career stalled after she parted company with Bacharach and David, but they didn't fare that well without her either. After Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head by B. J. Thomas in 1969, Bachrach did not write another Top 10 hit until Arthur's Theme in 1981.

Good tune. I didn't even realize that Dionne was still with us until I saw her on that recent Capital One "That's What March Is For" commercial. Hardly recognized her.

I’m of the age where I hear Dionne Warwick and immediately think of the Psychic Friends Network.

I’m of the age where I hear Dionne Warwick and immediately think of the Psychic Friends Network.
I knew in advance someone was going to post this.

Users who are viewing this thread